What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (1 Viewer)

BTW, Goff isn't going to be the Lions long-term starter. No chance...as in zero. You can't win a title with a QB who can't run out of his shoes & has no other ability to perform off-schedule/off-platform. For example, Stafford isn't overly athletic, either, but there's a huge difference in how he can change the expected outcome of a play as opposed to Goff. The game has changed since the statues dominated. Maybe if Goff was Brady...

If nothing else, Green Bay's emergence will force Detroit's hand. I'll be shocked if Goff lasts through the '25 season. Windows close quicker than they used to & Goff is a window-killer.
You seem to be double and tripling down on the idea that Goff won't be the starter, and I don't even follow the logic. You just keep saying he can't improvise. Despite that, he's incredibly good. He's been one of the most productive QB's in the NFL the last 2 seasons.

Over the last 2 seasons, Jared Goff has 9,013 passing yards. That's 2nd in the NFL.
Over the last 2 seasons, Jared Goff has 59 Passing touchdowns. That's tied for 3rd in the NFL.
Jared Goff just took the Detroit Lions to their 1st playoff win in 32 years.

I don't see how you look at the above and think "That guy is getting replaced ASAP."

Moreover, how exactly do you think they replace him? They seem to have a very good roster that is primed to compete the next 3-5 years. They're not going to have a top 10 draft pick anytime soon. Do you think they're going to get someone better than Goff via FA? If so, who?

Do you think they would trade for an elite QB? That makes zero sense to me. They're competing to win a championship with one of the most productive QB's in the league. They're going to give up assets to get a guy who maybe doesn't give you as many yards and touchdowns--but at least he can improvise a little bit? Does not compute.
I'm not sure I've doubled/tripled down. I said he wasn't going to be their long-term starter as soon I saw they were in a legit window.

Things will look different when the Lions get booted from the playoffs. Unfortunately, the QB position is one you can't hide. Without repeating what I've said many times, in short, I don't believe Goff is the type of QB you can win a title with in today's NFL.

I suppose the Lions could acquire a QB via draft or trade, but the most likely scenario is Hooker replacing Goff. It will also give them cap room to add quality talent (the sooner, the better).
Ok, so to be clear:

You don't think the guy that is 2nd in passing yards and 3rd in passing touchdowns over the last 2 years is good enough to win a superbowl with a talented team around him

BUT

You DO think Hendon Hooker--a guy that was drafted in the 3rd round at age 25, who has thrown ZERO NFL passes--that guy IS good enough.
It's not like this is rocket science. If they're just happy making the playoffs, stick with Goff.

It's the safe play...
Wilson, Fields, Ridder, Prescott and Hurts might be on the market this off season. 3 did not make playoffs, 2 got booted again and they are kinda mobile. Prescott might be good to target as he is 2-5 in playoff games and never made it past first round.

Maybe we could trade Goff for one of them.

BTW, Goff isn't going to be the Lions long-term starter. No chance...as in zero. You can't win a title with a QB who can't run out of his shoes & has no other ability to perform off-schedule/off-platform. For example, Stafford isn't overly athletic, either, but there's a huge difference in how he can change the expected outcome of a play as opposed to Goff. The game has changed since the statues dominated. Maybe if Goff was Brady...

If nothing else, Green Bay's emergence will force Detroit's hand. I'll be shocked if Goff lasts through the '25 season. Windows close quicker than they used to & Goff is a window-killer.
You seem to be double and tripling down on the idea that Goff won't be the starter, and I don't even follow the logic. You just keep saying he can't improvise. Despite that, he's incredibly good. He's been one of the most productive QB's in the NFL the last 2 seasons.

Over the last 2 seasons, Jared Goff has 9,013 passing yards. That's 2nd in the NFL.
Over the last 2 seasons, Jared Goff has 59 Passing touchdowns. That's tied for 3rd in the NFL.

I don't see how you look at the above and think "That guy is getting replaced ASAP."

Moreover, how exactly do you think they replace him? They seem to have a very good roster that is primed to compete the next 3-5 years. They're not going to have a top 10 draft pick anytime soon. Do you think they're going to get someone better than Goff via FA? If so, who?

Do you think they would trade for an elite QB? That makes zero sense to me. They're competing to win a championship with one of the most productive QB's in the league. They're going to give up assets to get a guy who maybe doesn't give you as many yards and touchdowns--but at least he can improvise a little bit? Does not compute.
I'm not sure I've doubled/tripled down. I said he wasn't going to be their long-term starter as soon I saw they were in a legit window.

Things will look different when the Lions get booted from the playoffs. Unfortunately, the QB position is one you can't hide. Without repeating what I've said many times, in short, I don't believe Goff is the type of QB you can win a title with in today's NFL.

I suppose the Lions could acquire a QB via draft or trade, but the most likely scenario is Hooker replacing Goff. It will also give them cap room to add quality talent (the sooner, the better).
I don’t think being in a win now window means you bench a Pro Bowl QB for a 3rd round project.
I wouldn't, either. Hooker likely isn't ready.

Don't need to bench Goff if you move on from him in the offseason.
Then who is the question? Is Cousins an upgrade? If he is, is it enough of an upgrade to make that kind of shake-up to the locker room and team chemistry? Justin Fields might be available and while he brings a lot of skills Goff doesn't have, he is also lacking in some key areas. If the Chargers decide they don't want Herbert any more and want to give him to us cheap, well sure lets make a deal. We know that ain't happening though.

Ok, so to be clear:

You don't think the guy that is 2nd in passing yards and 3rd in passing touchdowns over the last 2 years is good enough to win a superbowl with a talented team around him

BUT

You DO think Hendon Hooker--a guy that was drafted in the 3rd round at age 25, who has thrown ZERO NFL passes--that guy IS good enough.
It's not like this is rocket science. If they're just happy making the playoffs, stick with Goff.

It's the safe play...
Wilson, Fields, Ridder, Prescott and Hurts might be on the market this off season. 3 did not make playoffs, 2 got booted again and they are kinda mobile. Prescott might be good to target as he is 2-5 in playoff games and never made it past first round.

Hell no to Wilson. He's not a culture fit or a scheme fit. At all. He has always done best in an ad lib, go deep style. The Lions offense is built for timing and more intermediate stuff with ARSB, LaPorta and Gibbs. Add in that DC's mentor is the coach running Wilson out of town.

Fields still has a good ceiling but he also seems to still struggle with the easy stuff. Also an interdivision trade like that seems less likely. Bears wouldn't want Goff either.

Dak is very interesting and you would have to consider that. I would be surprised tho if Dallas moves on from him. I think it's the coach they change, not the QB. Philly isn't moving Hurts, that is insane. He carried that offense through a knee injury and messed up hand. And I will just pretend you didn't mention Ridder.

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

Hell no to Wilson. He's not a culture fit or a scheme fit. At all. He has always done best in an ad lib, go deep style. The Lions offense is built for timing and more intermediate stuff with ARSB, LaPorta and Gibbs. Add in that DC's mentor is the coach running Wilson out of town.

Fields still has a good ceiling but he also seems to still struggle with the easy stuff. Also an interdivision trade like that seems less likely. Bears wouldn't want Goff either.

Dak is very interesting and you would have to consider that. I would be surprised tho if Dallas moves on from him. I think it's the coach they change, not the QB. Philly isn't moving Hurts, that is insane. He carried that offense through a knee injury and messed up hand. And I will just pretend you didn't mention Ridder.
I think he was mostly being sarcastic/funny.

I don't think they consider Dak. If the gripe with Goff is that you don't think he can win in the playoffs, you surely don't want Dak. He's 2-5 in the playoffs. He lost in the 1st round. Goff won in the 1st round. Goff has more yards over the last 2 seasons than Dak. They're tied in touchdown passes.

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

LOL. You guys have no choice but to back Goff right now & I understand that, but he's got issues that are a real hindrance to winning a title, especially the way the NFL is configured with several of the top teams having elite Ds.

Windows close surprisingly quick. What you do each season after this one is critical, especially with the Packers coming on.

The good news for Detroit is it's going to be out of the fans' hands. I'm not really sure how good Campbell is yet, but I do believe you have a top GM. I think he's going to do the right thing. I suppose you guys could be so good that you overcome Goff, but that's extremely unlikely in today's NFL (you would need a stronger D to start).

I was kinda shocked at the love for Goff when I first posted something negative about him awhile back. It was met with some resistance. :ROFLMAO: Your situation became interesting to me because you have a good team & are in a window. As a Cowboys fan, I'd like nothing better than to see you guys stick with Goff, but I don't believe that'll happen. For the record, I'm not saying Hooker gets you a title. All I'm saying is it's not looking good with Goff. You're not stuck with him, though. It'll be interesting to see what Holmes does.

I suppose there's the chance everything falls perfectly & you win a title with Goff (& I'm wrong). Good luck.

BTW, if they do move on from Goff, I can't see a FA or trade as the initial strategy. Hooker is a virtual lock, IMO. From what I understand, Holmes is super-high on him. It also makes sense to try the cheat code first (starting QB on a rookie contract).

That's why I said the decision this offseason is critical. Time is ticking...

It might be the for the best if Hooker ends up being all that, but right now there is zero NFL evidence of it. The fact that Holmes loves him ignores the fact that he also loves Goff as his starter. He might just like the idea of having both, with Hooker as a great back up plan in case of injury or bad play in the next couple years. Whatever he decides, I'm not going to pretend I know more than he does.

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

LOL. You guys have no choice but to back Goff right now & I understand that, but he's got issues that are a real hindrance to winning a title, especially the way the NFL is configured with several of the top teams having elite Ds.

Windows close surprisingly quick. What you do each season after this one is critical, especially with the Packers coming on.

The good news for Detroit is it's going to be out of the fans' hands. I'm not really sure how good Campbell is yet, but I do believe you have a top GM. I think he's going to do the right thing. I suppose you guys could be so good that you overcome Goff, but that's extremely unlikely in today's NFL (you would need a stronger D to start).

I was kinda shocked at the love for Goff when I first posted something negative about him awhile back. It was met with some resistance. :ROFLMAO: Your situation became interesting to me because you have a good team & are in a window. As a Cowboys fan, I'd like nothing better than to see you guys stick with Goff, but I don't believe that'll happen. For the record, I'm not saying Hooker gets you a title. All I'm saying is it's not looking good with Goff. You're not stuck with him, though. It'll be interesting to see what Holmes does.

I suppose there's the chance everything falls perfectly & you win a title with Goff (& I'm wrong). Good luck.
:lmao: this is some crazy shtick

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

No, I just think Goff is actually a good quarterback and your points are asinine and not backed by anything.
He's a pocket passer with fairly severe limitations in today's NFL. No offense, but the only asinine thing is you not seeing it (or maybe not admitting it).

The idea isn't to have a good record, pile up stats, & win a game or two in the playoffs. There's a fine line between who makes the playoffs & who wins Super Bowls. Troy Aikman summed it up when he said QBs are a much bigger part of the puzzle than even when he played. There's a multitude of reasons for it. One is being able to play off-schedule, avoiding rushers, using your legs, being an athlete, etc. And these things are only going to be compounded when you meet up with teams who have a strong D. When Baker Mayfield looks like Lamar Jackson next to Goff, there's an issue.

Last edited:

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

I'm simply amazed at people who think Detroit's brass is sitting back thinking Goff is their guy for the next 5 years regardless of what happens in the playoffs this year, much less what happens in '24. That's some good stuff.

Faith is a very strong emotion, LOL.

I finally gave up and hit ignore.

Anywhose

Goff is a good QB. In both real life in fantasy. He finished QB7 in overall points in 4 point/TD leagues. He was QB16 in PPG. Though he was less than 2 PPG less than QB6--Love. He'll probably be guy that goes later in drafts next year. I don't think there's a ton of separation after the first 5 or 6 QB's. Could be a really nice value pick if you decide to punt QB and build the team up at other positions.

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

I'm simply amazed at people who think Detroit's brass is sitting back thinking Goff is their guy for the next 5 years regardless of what happens in the playoffs this year, much less what happens in '24. That's some good stuff.

Brass want's results which they have, why would they move on from a QB that is winning them games? Who do you consider to be super bowl caliber QB's that are going to be available? Faith? For the Lions? Nah, I'm a Raiders fan so I know a thing or two about QB's and how they can destroy a franchise.

Anywhose

Goff is a good QB. In both real life in fantasy. He finished QB7 in overall points in 4 point/TD leagues. He was QB16 in PPG. Though he was less than 2 PPG less than QB6--Love. He'll probably be guy that goes later in drafts next year. I don't think there's a ton of separation after the first 5 or 6 QB's. Could be a really nice value pick if you decide to punt QB and build the team up at other positions.
In terms of fantasy he's ok but Lions love to run it in in goal line situations enough where his fantasy value gets somewhat capped. But if he drops enough sure why not load up elsewhere, he has a pretty good floor.

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

Brass want's results which they have, why would they move on from a QB that is winning them games? Who do you consider to be super bowl caliber QB's that are going to be available? Faith? For the Lions? Nah, I'm a Raiders fan so I know a thing or two about QB's and how they can destroy a franchise.
Hendon Hooker is the greatest QB of our generation. He just didn't get drafted until the 3rd round and at 25 years old to give the other rookie QB's a chance. He hasn't thrown an NFL pass, but trust me, he can throw it real far.

Anywhose

In terms of fantasy he's ok but Lions love to run it in in goal line situations enough where his fantasy value gets somewhat capped. But if he drops enough sure why not load up elsewhere, he has a pretty good floor.
Yeah. He'll have some meh games where the Lions dominate with the run. Definitely a consideration.

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

They don't have to make any moves. Goff is a decent QB, but Hooker is eventually going to get a shot.

My point is it should come sooner rather than later. It's really not that complicated.

Seems like a strange time for this conversation, when Goff is undefeated in the playoffs as a Lion, and a heavy favorite to take them to the NFC Championship game this year.

He's undoubtedly getting an extension this offseason. I'd guess that he'll be very well-paid, but the Lions will structure it in a way that getting out of it in two or three years isn't devastating to the cap.

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

They don't have to make any moves. Goff is a decent QB, but Hooker is eventually going to get a shot.

My point is it should come sooner rather than later. It's really not that complicated.

If you are a Cowboys fan you have to want Prescott gone. The window is closing and Prescott have proven over and over he can`t win the big one. No way Dak should get an extension and be stuck there another 4-5 years. Dak is a regular season QB, playoffs are too much for him for whatever reason.

Trey Lantz is the guy and the time is now to get rid of Dak and play Lantz next season. Will Jerry have the stones to pull the trigger and do it?

King of the North

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

If you are a Cowboys fan you have to want Prescott gone. The window is closing and Prescott have proven over and over he can`t win the big one. No way Dak should get an extension and be stuck there another 4-5 years. Dak is a regular season QB, playoffs are too much for him for whatever reason.

Trey Lantz is the guy and the time is now to get rid of Dak and play Lantz next season. Will Jerry have the stones to pull the trigger and do it?

Maybe they’re content to go 12-5 and lose in the WC or Divisional Round. 29 years and counting.

The idea isn't to have a good record, pile up stats, & win a game or two in the playoffs. There's a fine line between who makes the playoffs & who wins Super Bowls. Troy Aikman summed it up when he said QBs are a much bigger part of the puzzle than even when he played. There's a multitude of reasons for it. One is being able to play off-schedule, avoiding rushers, using your legs, being an athlete, etc. And these things are only going to be compounded when you meet up with teams who have a strong D. When Baker Mayfield looks like Lamar Jackson next to Goff, there's an issue.

You have to go all the way back to...2021...to find a pocket QB who won a Super Bowl. That was the guy that Goff just beat with his old team.

Before that you have to go back to 2020 to find a 87-year-old Tom Brady. And leaving Brady out you have to go back to 2017 to find Nick Foles. Speaking of QBs Goff is better than.

The idea that switching to random third-rounder at QB is more likely to win Detroit a Super Bowl is unsupported by evidence or any connection to reality.

Seems like a strange time for this conversation, when Goff is undefeated in the playoffs as a Lion, and a heavy favorite to take them to the NFC Championship game this year.

He's undoubtedly getting an extension this offseason. I'd guess that he'll be very well-paid, but the Lions will structure it in a way that getting out of it in two or three years isn't devastating to the cap.

You have to go all the way back to...2021...to find a pocket QB who won a Super Bowl. That was the guy that Goff just beat with his old team.

Before that you have to go back to 2020 to find a 87-year-old Tom Brady. And leaving Brady out you have to go back to 2017 to find Nick Foles. Speaking of QBs Goff is better than.

The idea that switching to random third-rounder at QB is more likely to win Detroit a Super Bowl is unsupported by evidence or any connection to reality.
Like I said, if he was Brady-like, Detroit would actually have a legit chance at a title.

Last edited:
BTW, Stafford can actually do some things off-schedule. Not the best athlete, but he gives you a chance.

Goff is a nice pocket passer, sure.

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

Unfortunately, we don’t have a guy like Hooker waiting in the wings. Our overall talent & the right HC will have to be the difference.

It would be a much easier decision if we did have a guy, but Goff would be a window-killer with us just like he is with Detroit. The difference is they might have a guy right now (& on a rookie contract, no less).

King of the North

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

Maybe they’re content to go 12-5 and lose in the WC or Divisional Round. 29 years and counting.
LOL. You guys had a good season.

Even if you stick with Goff, you should be in the running for playoff contention each year of your window.

Congrats. (y)

Like I said, if he was Brady-like, Detroit would actually have a legit chance at a title.

Unfortunately…
What if he's Stafford-like or Foles-like?

What if Hooker is Tyrod Taylor-like?

Which of those is more likely? (Tyrod Taylor is actually a pretty optimistic upside for Hooker).

Unfortunately…
What if he's Stafford-like or Foles-like?

What if Hooker is Tyrod Taylor-like?

Which of those is more likely? (Tyrod Taylor is actually a pretty optimistic upside for Hooker).
Hooker is Tyrod Taylor now? Wasn't he a 6th round pick?

Anyone betting on Goff is underestimating the dynamics that revolve around the QB position as it relates to a Super Bowl window. His upside is capped & that causes teams to jump ship.

There's good reason to jump ship given Goff's skill set, but it'll be exacerbated by the pressure to win a title.

Last edited:
King of the North

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

Even if you stick with Goff, you should be in the running for playoff contention each year of your window.

Congrats. (y)
I get what you’re saying. He has one more year left, and if they resign him this offseason it’s going to hurt their ability to improve their D, which they really need to do.
I think it all hinges on these next few games. If we win another playoff game, or go even further 🙏🏼, it’s going to be REALLY hard to not resign him.
And there’s more to it than just contract/cap issues. This Lions team has captured the heart of the city. If they get rid of Goff after a good playoff run, they are taking a HUGE PR risk with the entire city of Detroit. That probably isn’t wise.

King of the North

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

Congrats. (y)
I get what you’re saying. He has one more year left, and if they resign him this offseason it’s going to hurt their ability to improve their D, which they really need to do.
I think it all hinges on these next few games. If we win another playoff game, or go even further 🙏🏼, it’s going to be REALLY hard to not resign him.
And there’s more to it than just contract/cap issues. This Lions team has captured the heart of the city. If they get rid of Goff after a good playoff run, they are taking a HUGE PR risk with the entire city of Detroit. That probably isn’t wise.
I get it. Could be a PR disaster with a miss at QB, but I think most fans are sophisticated enough to realize there's a balancing act as far as the salary cap.

I really believe Hooker will be a competent replacement for Goff, at minimum. He's got the ability to be at least as good as a pure passer, but will be able to stress opposing Ds in many more ways. Also, you might could sign a couple studs on D with a QB on their rookie deal.

I'd be leery of giving Goff an extension this offseason. You don't have to do anything until '25.

Last edited:
In short, fans & players alike are more open to change the longer you go without a title when you're in a window.

That's why I suspect '25 will be the cutoff for Goff to get it done, especially with a guy like Hooker waiting in the wings. Goff is a FA in '25 & you could cut ties easily.

It's pretty much common knowledge around these parts that Goff will be extended this year.
How much guaranteed? Too much and it's a mistake, but if they don't overly commit themselves and can get out of the deal within 2 years that could work. Everything around him is working and has stayed healthy, which is a big reason why this team is where it is, but what happens when that's not the case?

King of the North

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

Congrats. (y)
I get it. Could be a PR disaster with a miss at QB, but I think most fans are sophisticated enough to realize there's a balancing act as far as the salary cap.

I really believe Hooker will be a competent replacement for Goff, at minimum. He's got the ability to be at least as good as a pure passer, but will be able to stress opposing Ds in many more ways. Also, you might could sign a couple studs on D with a QB on their rookie deal.

I'd be leery of giving Goff an extension this offseason. You don't have to do anything until '25.

I just forwarded this to Brad Holmes.

King of the North

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

Congrats. (y)

Random internet poster has a lot of faith in the 3rd round 3rd string QB.

How have Holmes and Campbell not already figured it out?!

King of the North

Ok, so to be clear:

BUT

It's the safe play...

Congrats. (y)

Random internet poster has a lot of faith in the 3rd round 3rd string QB.

How have Holmes and Campbell not already figured it out?!

are they stoopid?

In short, fans & players alike are more open to change the longer you go without a title when you're in a window.

That's why I suspect '25 will be the cutoff for Goff to get it done, especially with a guy like Hooker waiting in the wings. Goff is a FA in '25 & you could cut ties easily.

You, uh......you don't know anything about the city of Detroit, the surrounding area or its fans, do you? Goff just won a playoff game for a team that hasn't won one since 1991, which - judging by your acumen on display here - was before you were born.

Goff will never pay for another Labatt's Blue again in a Michigan bar the rest of his life. He could run for mayor tomorrow and win by Friday. There are babies being born right now in Detroit with birth certificates reading Jarred Goff Zalenski or Jarred Goff Balboni. You'd know that if you knew anything about Lions' fans but it's evident that you don't. Nobody in the Murder Mitten is clamoring for Hendon Hooker.

Good shtick, tho.

I’ll address everyone at once, LOL.

I’m not sure why Lions fans are so touchy about Goff, but let me tell you how this is going to go…he’s going to get replaced (probably by ‘25). If not, that’s on Holmes. Goff simply doesn’t have the required skill set to take a team like yours all the way. I don’t need to be from Detroit to figure that out. End of story.

The good news is you’re in a window, but have the wrong QB. It happens. What Holmes does to rectify it will determine if you have a legit shot at a title.

You guys had a good season. (y)

I’ll address everyone at once, LOL.

I’m not sure why Lions fans are so touchy about Goff, but let me tell you how this is going to go…he’s going to get replaced (probably by ‘25). If not, that’s on Holmes. Goff simply doesn’t have the required skill set to take a team like yours all the way. I don’t need to be from Detroit to figure that out. End of story.

The good news is you’re in a window, but have the wrong QB. It happens. What Holmes does to rectify it will determine if you have a legit shot at a title.

You guys had a good season. (y)
You really don't have a clue when it comes to QBs.

Users who are viewing this thread