What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (3 Viewers)

Goff was pretty bad in Dallas last year and has a reputation of poor play on the road, so no, I don't think it's crazy. I'd be looking at alternatives.
This may be true but there are a couple of things in Goff's favor. First, the Lions are 6-0 when their current starting offensive line plays and in those games, Goff has a passer rating of about 120. Second, Dallas can't stop the run. If the Lions can run the ball, it makes it much tougher to rush the QB.
And of those 6 games you mentioned, 4 were on the road.
Wasn't the oline healthy when they recently played at Baltimore? A repeat of that game would likely lose a championship game.

Goff was pretty bad in Dallas last year and has a reputation of poor play on the road, so no, I don't think it's crazy. I'd be looking at alternatives.
This may be true but there are a couple of things in Goff's favor. First, the Lions are 6-0 when their current starting offensive line plays and in those games, Goff has a passer rating of about 120. Second, Dallas can't stop the run. If the Lions can run the ball, it makes it much tougher to rush the QB.
Wasn't the oline healthy when they recently played at Baltimore? A repeat of that game would likely lose a championship game.

If Baltimore plays the way they did vs Detroit and SF in the playoffs they will win the Superbowl.

Is it crazy to think about benching him @dallas?. I’m thinking of playing Stick @Den over him for the tastier matchup.

I just see Dallas bringing pressure after pressure as Goff’s ability under pressure is in question.
It's not crazy to consider benching Goff given his well documented weaknesses. It is crazy to consider benching him for Easton Stick vs anyone though.

Recently? You mean ten weeks ago when the o line was not healthy? This is week 17, not week 7.

Recently? You mean ten weeks ago when the o line was not healthy? This is week 17, not week 7.
It was week 8, although I did think it was more recent. And I don't know if the oline was healthy then, hence why I asked the question.

I don't know all of them, but the Chiefs, Broncos, and Vikings were 3 of them.
The Chiefs were not one of the teams. My mistake.

It's hard to keep track, they've had 9 different starting combinations. The KC game was the first time the presumptive starting 5 had played together in three years. But Hal Vaitai (missed all of 2022 bc of spinal fusion surgery) has only started 3 times this year, and the Chiefs game was the only one he played with the other 4 starters.

GameLeft TackleLeft GuardCenterRight GuardRight Tackle
1. at KC 21-20 Taylor DeckerJonah JacksonFrank RagnowHal VaitaiPenei Sewell
2. SEA 31-37 OTPenei SewellJonah JacksonFrank RagnowVaitai (47) Glasgow (19)Matt Nelson
3. ATL 20-6Penei SewellJonah JacksonFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowNelson (18) Skipper (16) Sorsdal (36)
4. at GB 34-20Taylor DeckerJonah JacksonFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
5. CAR 42-24Taylor DeckerJackson (57) Awosika (3)Frank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
6. at TB 20-6Taylor DeckerKayode AwosikaFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
7. at BAL 6-38Taylor DeckerGraham GlasgowFrank RagnowHal VaitaiPenei Sewell
8. LV 26-14Taylor DeckerAwosika (61) Skipper (25)Graham GlasgowColby SorsdalPenei Sewell
9. bye week
10. at LAC 41-38Taylor DeckerJonah JacksonFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
11. CHI 31-26Taylor DeckerColby SorsdalFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
12. GB 22-29Taylor DeckerSorsdal (32) Awosika (53)Frank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
13. at NO 33-28Taylor DeckerJonah JacksonRagnow (21) Glasgow (37)Glasgow (21) Sorsdal (37)Penei Sewell
14. at CHI 13-28Taylor DeckerJonah JacksonGraham GlasgowKayode AwosikaPenei Sewell
15. DEN 29-17Taylor DeckerJonah JacksonFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
16. at MIN 30-24Taylor DeckerJonah JacksonFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell

Last edited:

:hophead::whistle:

The Athletic

Jared Goff’s agent Ryan Tollner said he expects the Lions to extend Goff early this offseason.

He also said that the Lions told him and Goff that this season wasn’t a “prove himself” year.

The playoffs will shape Goff’s legacy and could impact the value of his extension.

Jared Goff went 22/27 for 277 yards and a TD as Detroit won its first playoff game in 32 years. He has now won 5 of the 7 playoff games he has played (4-2 as a starter.)

@NextGenStats

Jared Goff completed all 21 of his passes when he was not pressured for 266 yards & a TD, the 2nd-most non-pressured passes without an incompletion in a game since 2018.

Goff had just a 0.3% chance of completing all 21 passes (1 in 372).

The problem with Goff is he has ZERO off-schedule ability. It's a death sentence in today's NFL as far as winning a title.

The Lions also have another problem with Love emerging in the same division. I believe the Packers are the youngest team in the league, as well.

Tough spot for Detroit. The fear I'd have as a Lions fan is Goff winning next week which could further cement him as the starter going into next season.

The problem with Goff is he has ZERO off-schedule ability. It's a death sentence in today's NFL as far as winning a title.

The Lions also have another problem with Love emerging in the same division. I believe the Packers are the youngest team in the league, as well.

Tough spot for Detroit. The fear I'd have as a Lions fan is Goff winning next week which could further cement him as the starter going into next season.

Win or Lose, Goff is pretty much locked in as the Lions starter for the next several years, at least.

Win or Lose, Goff is pretty much locked in as the Lions starter for the next several years, at least.
I don't believe that for a second.

BTW, Goff isn't going to be the Lions long-term starter. No chance...as in zero. You can't win a title with a QB who can't run out of his shoes & has no other ability to perform off-schedule/off-platform. For example, Stafford isn't overly athletic, but there's a huge difference in how he can change the expected outcome of a play as opposed to Goff. The game has changed since the statues dominated. Maybe if Goff was Brady-like......

If nothing else, Green Bay's emergence will force Detroit's hand. I'll be shocked if Goff lasts through the '25 season. Windows close quicker than they used to & Goff is a window-killer.

Last edited:
BTW, Goff isn't going to be the Lions long-term starter. No chance...as in zero. You can't win a title with a QB who can't run out of his shoes & has no other ability to perform off-schedule/off-platform. For example, Stafford isn't overly athletic, either, but there's a huge difference in how he can change the expected outcome of a play as opposed to Goff. The game has changed since the statues dominated. Maybe if Goff was Brady...

If nothing else, Green Bay's emergence will force Detroit's hand. I'll be shocked if Goff lasts through the '25 season. Windows close quicker than they used to & Goff is a window-killer.
You seem to be double and tripling down on the idea that Goff won't be the starter, and I don't even follow the logic. You just keep saying he can't improvise. Despite that, he's incredibly good. He's been one of the most productive QB's in the NFL the last 2 seasons.

Over the last 2 seasons, Jared Goff has 9,013 passing yards. That's 2nd in the NFL.
Over the last 2 seasons, Jared Goff has 59 Passing touchdowns. That's tied for 3rd in the NFL.
Jared Goff just took the Detroit Lions to their 1st playoff win in 32 years.

I don't see how you look at the above and think "That guy is getting replaced ASAP."

Moreover, how exactly do you think they replace him? They seem to have a very good roster that is primed to compete the next 3-5 years. They're not going to have a top 10 draft pick anytime soon. Do you think they're going to get someone better than Goff via FA? If so, who?

Do you think they would trade for an elite QB? That makes zero sense to me. They're competing to win a championship with one of the most productive QB's in the league. They're going to give up assets to get a guy who maybe doesn't give you as many yards and touchdowns--but at least he can improvise a little bit? Does not compute.

Also:

After the first playoff win in 32 years, DC handed Goff a gameball and told him "You're good enough for Detroit." He's their guy. You can complain about his ability to improvise all you want, but they love him. He's going to be there.

BTW, Goff isn't going to be the Lions long-term starter. No chance...as in zero. You can't win a title with a QB who can't run out of his shoes & has no other ability to perform off-schedule/off-platform. For example, Stafford isn't overly athletic, but there's a huge difference in how he can change the expected outcome of a play as opposed to Goff. The game has changed since the statues dominated. Maybe if Goff was Brady-like......

As Brad Holmes said when asked about the QB position. "It is a lot easier to get worse at QB than it is to get better" Goff is playing at a high level right now, then numbers don`t lie. Lions are 21-7 in their last 28 games.

The Lions did draft Hooker. Let Hooker sit and mature like Love did and he may be the QB in the future.

BTW, Goff isn't going to be the Lions long-term starter. No chance...as in zero. You can't win a title with a QB who can't run out of his shoes & has no other ability to perform off-schedule/off-platform. For example, Stafford isn't overly athletic, either, but there's a huge difference in how he can change the expected outcome of a play as opposed to Goff. The game has changed since the statues dominated. Maybe if Goff was Brady...

You seem to be double and tripling down on the idea that Goff won't be the starter, and I don't even follow the logic. You just keep saying he can't improvise. Despite that, he's incredibly good. He's been one of the most productive QB's in the NFL the last 2 seasons.

Over the last 2 seasons, Jared Goff has 9,013 passing yards. That's 2nd in the NFL.
Over the last 2 seasons, Jared Goff has 59 Passing touchdowns. That's tied for 3rd in the NFL.

I don't see how you look at the above and think "That guy is getting replaced ASAP."

Moreover, how exactly do you think they replace him? They seem to have a very good roster that is primed to compete the next 3-5 years. They're not going to have a top 10 draft pick anytime soon. Do you think they're going to get someone better than Goff via FA? If so, who?

Do you think they would trade for an elite QB? That makes zero sense to me. They're competing to win a championship with one of the most productive QB's in the league. They're going to give up assets to get a guy who maybe doesn't give you as many yards and touchdowns--but at least he can improvise a little bit? Does not compute.
I'm not sure I've doubled/tripled down. I said he wasn't going to be their long-term starter as soon I saw they were in a legit window.

Things will look different when the Lions get booted from the playoffs. Unfortunately, the QB position is one you can't hide. Without repeating what I've said many times, in short, I don't believe Goff is the type of QB you can win a title with in today's NFL.

I suppose the Lions could acquire a QB via draft or trade, but the most likely scenario is Hooker replacing Goff. It will also give them cap room to add quality talent (the sooner, the better).

Last edited:

As Brad Holmes said when asked about the QB position. "It is a lot easier to get worse at QB than it is to get better" Goff is playing at a high level right now, then numbers don`t lie. Lions are 21-7 in their last 28 games.

The Lions did draft Hooker. Let Hooker sit and mature like Love did and he may be the QB in the future.
The difference is Detroit is in a window right now with a QB who has shortcomings in today's NFL. The Packers could afford to sit on Love with A-Rod there.

I'm not sure I've doubled/tripled down. I said he wasn't going to be their long-term starter as soon I saw they were in a legit window.

Things will look different when the Lions get booted from the playoffs. Unfortunately, the QB position is one you can't hide. Without repeating what I've said many times, in short, I don't believe Goff is the type of QB you can win a title with in today's NFL.

I suppose the Lions could acquire a QB via draft or trade, but the most likely scenario is Hooker replacing Goff. It will also give them cap room to add quality talent (the sooner, the better).
Ok, so to be clear:

You don't think the guy that is 2nd in passing yards and 3rd in passing touchdowns over the last 2 years is good enough to win a superbowl with a talented team around him

BUT

You DO think Hendon Hooker--a guy that was drafted in the 3rd round at age 25, who has thrown ZERO NFL passes--that guy IS good enough.

The difference is Detroit is in a window right now with a QB who has shortcomings in today's NFL. The Packers could afford to sit on Love with A-Rod there.

So next game should the Lions start Goff, Teddy Bridgewater or a rookie who has not played in over a year? Those are the choices.

So next game should the Lions start Goff, Teddy Bridgewater or a rookie who has not played in over a year? Those are the choices.
Who said they shouldn't start Goff next week? If Detroit was going to go with Hooker, they should've been more aggressive about getting him ready.

I'm talking about next season. I looked awhile back & if I remember right, I believe they could get out of Goff's contract without a big hit this offseason (or trade him).

Hooker would give them a rookie contract at QB for 3 more years which is a cheat code. Use Goff's money in FA. That said, from the sound of it, Lions fans seem to think Goff is a lock next season. Ok, but it's just delaying the inevitable & shortening their window.

I don’t think being in a win now window means you bench a Pro Bowl QB for a 3rd round project.

I don’t think being in a win now window means you bench a Pro Bowl QB for a 3rd round project.
I wouldn't, either. Hooker likely isn't ready.

Don't need to bench Goff if you move on from him in the offseason.

Ok, so to be clear:

You don't think the guy that is 2nd in passing yards and 3rd in passing touchdowns over the last 2 years is good enough to win a superbowl with a talented team around him

BUT

You DO think Hendon Hooker--a guy that was drafted in the 3rd round at age 25, who has thrown ZERO NFL passes--that guy IS good enough.
It's not like this is rocket science. If they're just happy making the playoffs, stick with Goff.

It's the safe play...

I was going to say exactly this! Goff is the starter for the next 2-3 years minimum, and potentially much longer than that.

This discussion is going nowhere, but I’m really interested to see how this shakes out. If Goff had any kind of off-schedule ability & if Hooker wasn’t an early 2nd round QB without the ACL (at the latest), I could see the other side more. It wasn’t the injury so much as him not being able to workout for teams.

Hooker is a very good prospect & likely would’ve won the Heisman without the injury. He’s going to get a shot within a couple years. The Lions are only going to be happy with Goff for so long before they move on.

There’s going to be a lot of heat on him if they start stumbling with that 1st place schedule next season. He might survive ‘24, but ‘25 looks like a stretch with the Packers looking like they could be starting a window with a very young team.

Users who are viewing this thread