What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (3 Viewers)

Who's playing jameis vs sf?

I streamed smith @ oak last week.  Ugh.

Don't think I can go with smith again even though that matchup is amazing
This is my same exact situation. Right now I am leaning Winston but Smith might actually have to throw it this time. 

Junk. Dropped him for Bradford as my QB2. Then again my QB1 Bortles hasn't been great either.
Wow, I think dropping him in general is very bold, but for Bradford? Really? I'm guessing you haven't paid much attention as to who Jameis has played so far and the ROS schedule.

Anyways, I am on the fence about starting Jameis this week. As rickyg stated, I am worried the Bucs will want to pound the rock all game similar to Carolina and the 49ers run D is horrendous so I could see it working and the game turning into a blowout. On the other hand, I don't trust the Bucs D at all and I could see them having trouble stopping Kap, with the game turning into a shootout. 

I also have Tyrod who has a good matchup against the Dolphins so I'll be giving this one a good thought throughout the week.

To clarify my position on Winston, I'm definitely not dropping.  I think his schedule moving forward has some choice matchups where he will have to put the team on his back and throw to keep up.  I'm especially eyeing those 2 matchups vs NO weeks 14 and 16.  I think he can win you a championship with those matchups and is worth holding just for that. 

To clarify my position on Winston, I'm definitely not dropping.  I think his schedule moving forward has some choice matchups where he will have to put the team on his back and throw to keep up.  I'm especially eyeing those 2 matchups vs NO weeks 14 and 16.  I think he can win you a championship with those matchups and is worth holding just for that. 
If he isn't benched for Glennon by then. ; )

It's also worth noting that the Bucs defense is very bad, especially the pass defense. I don't think there will be many games where we'll be dominating the opponent and be allowed to just run the clock out. Possibly SF and CHI, but that is about it and I could definitely see either of those teams putting up points against our defense. Games like ATL, SD, OAK, NO (twice) will all probably be shootouts against bad defenses.

Targets are running thin:

Vincent Jackson - WR - Buccaneers

Bucs placed WR Vincent Jackson on injured reserve with a torn left ACL, ending his season.
Jackson suffered the injury in Tampa's Week 5 Monday night win over the Panthers, but didn't realize he was injured until after the game. It ends an inglorious year for the 33-year-old wideout, and likely his Bucs tenure. Signed to a five-year, $55.5 million deal in 2012, Jackson was the rare free agent who kept playing at a high level, but has seen his production fall off each of the past three years. He turns 34 in January, and will be damaged goods in free agency. The Bucs will move forward with slot man Adam Humphries as their No. 2 receiver. It's not a good situation.

Drafted him as my only QB in a 16-team league. I'm not bailing, but I am starting to think about who to pair him with ROS. Used Siemian during the bye, but Mariota, Hoyer, Kaep and Keenum still out there on WW. Also thinking about Jameis' two remaining tough match-ups in Weeks 11-12 (@KC/Sea). Mariota has decent match-ups those weeks (@Ind/@Chi). Keenum has great ones (Mia/@NO), but I don't know if I really trust him. Hoyer has @NYG/Tenn.

Will probably put in a claim for Mariota/Hoyer, in that order. Good news is Jameis should have an opportunity to bounce back the next couple weeks, so I'm not in a huge rush.

It's also worth noting that the Bucs defense is very bad, especially the pass defense. I don't think there will be many games where we'll be dominating the opponent and be allowed to just run the clock out. Possibly SF and CHI, but that is about it and I could definitely see either of those teams putting up points against our defense. Games like ATL, SD, OAK, NO (twice) will all probably be shootouts against bad defenses.
As a Bucs homer, how nervous did the Carolina game make you? Not so much for the performance as for Dirk going so conservative and not trusting Jameis to make a play. I mean, 30 carries for Jacquizz Freakin' Rodgers?

Drafted him as my only QB in a 16-team league. I'm not bailing, but I am starting to think about who to pair him with ROS. Used Siemian during the bye, but Mariota, Hoyer, Kaep and Keenum still out there on WW. Also thinking about Jameis' two remaining tough match-ups in Weeks 11-12 (@KC/Sea). Mariota has decent match-ups those weeks (@Ind/@Chi). Keenum has great ones (Mia/@NO), but I don't know if I really trust him. Hoyer has @NYG/Tenn.

Will probably put in a claim for Mariota/Hoyer, in that order. Good news is Jameis should have an opportunity to bounce back the next couple weeks, so I'm not in a huge rush.
SurpriseD mariota is there in a 16.  Both my 12 teams he's rostered

As a Bucs homer, how nervous did the Carolina game make you? Not so much for the performance as for Dirk going so conservative and not trusting Jameis to make a play. I mean, 30 carries for Jacquizz Freakin' Rodgers?
Defensive line was missing 4 of its top 5 players and only dressed 5 guys. They had a linebacker with his hand in the dirt multiple times. Think running it had more to do with their preservation than anything else. 

zftcg said:
As Capella said, I think it was more due to how thin we were along the defensive line. Koetter wanted to control the clock and make sure the defense was rested. Most of the d-line is expected to be back this week, so I wouldn't be too worried about that going forward. I believe Winston had the most passing attempts going into the Carolina game, I definitely expect him to be passing a lot the rest of the year with this defense.

Ok, after further review I admit I whiffed in dropping Jameis. Luckily I was able to pick him back up for free. Dropped Bortles instead as he has a devastating schedule ahead.

I'm starting him with utmost confidence he will play well,given the situation that Ben is my main man and best name on the wire is Goff. :banned:

Why is anyone cutting Winston? He will get better not worse in my opinion. Just as good as Dak and Mariota in season long. They may have good weeks and bad, but same fantasy production.

I was able to drop him Sunday morning to pick up Smith and then pick Winston back up that night.  Didn't really go that well since Smith sucked and it cost me $6.

I still think they're going to try to pound the air out of the ball with the running game. 
Maybe. It would still make sense this week. Plus, he always comes out too hyped for games - I think a plan to be overly reliant on the run has to do as well with getting him grounded and into the flow of things. He needs to calm down. 

He had a pretty brutal schedule to open the season, blew up twice and only one real catastrophe. If you survived with him this long, I think it should be all up from here. Coaching staff pulling back the reigns is the biggest concern, but the defense stinks and they play in the NFC South, which may be the biggest scoring carnival division in the NFL. He's my second QB in a 2-QB league, and I feel pretty good about him ROS. Sneaky top-10 upside, although there are certainly risks.

I'm starting him with utmost confidence he will play well,given the situation that Ben is my main man and best name on the wire is Goff. :banned:
same boat except with the likes of ASmith, Hoyer, Siemian on the WW.  I like Winston's schedule, but ASmith's is not too bad either...at least while Big Ben is out.  IMO, more upside with Winston, so rolling with him (thankfully we don't get penalized for INTs ;)  )

Capella said:
Defensive line was missing 4 of its top 5 players and only dressed 5 guys. They had a linebacker with his hand in the dirt multiple times. Think running it had more to do with their preservation than anything else. 
Thanks, that's helpful. I missed the beginning of the game, but what worried me was the 4th quarter drive where Jameis threw a horrible pass on second and long that should have been picked off, and then they ran a draw to Quizz on 3rd and long and played conservative on the final drive as well.

I agree that dropping him is silly, but what I would say is keep an eye out for guys emerging later in the season. If this year's Cousins emerges, don't miss out because you assume you're set with Winston.

need2know said:
SurpriseD mariota is there in a 16.  Both my 12 teams he's rostered
Yeah, it's weird, especially because it's a pretty sharky league (to cite one example, Howard was picked up a week before the Langford injury).

I realize this may not be helpful to many people, but if you can pair Winston and Mariota it actually works out pretty well (fitting given their draft history). MM has a cake schedule for the next few weeks, including in Jameis two toughest match-ups in Weeks 11-12. But from Weeks 13-15 he has a bye followed by KC and Denver (before finishing with Jax), so you can potentially drop him and shore up the rest of your team for the stretch run while Winston feasts on NO twice.

Still not sure what I'm doing between Tyrod and Winston. Leaning Taylor because he has the upside with the rushing yards and Miami just lost Reshad Jones for the year.  Just worried Winston won't need to throw too much this week.

Still not sure what I'm doing between Tyrod and Winston. Leaning Taylor because he has the upside with the rushing yards and Miami just lost Reshad Jones for the year.  Just worried Winston won't need to throw too much this week.
Same with me.  But smith is in the same kind of situation as jameis.  But hes at home vs a better opponent, although no sucks on the road.  But I think kc may actually need to throw vs no.  Also the higher total points over sf/tb

Same with me.  But smith is in the same kind of situation as jameis.  But hes at home vs a better opponent, although no sucks on the road.  But I think kc may actually need to throw vs no.  Also the higher total points over sf/tb
Yea, Smith worries me for the same reason Jameis does. Brees seems to almost always struggle on the road and the Saints D is terrible so I could see the Chiefs running the ball a ton in the 2nd half.

Yea, Smith worries me for the same reason Jameis does. Brees seems to almost always struggle on the road and the Saints D is terrible so I could see the Chiefs running the ball a ton in the 2nd half.
I think just being at home might give smith a slight edge this week.  I also am a favorite in my matchup so I don't need much from smith.  200 yards and 1 or 2 TDs would be great.  I get negatives for turnovers so jameis kinda scares me there too on the road

I think just being at home might give smith a slight edge this week.  I also am a favorite in my matchup so I don't need much from smith.  200 yards and 1 or 2 TDs would be great.  I get negatives for turnovers so jameis kinda scares me there too on the road
If you don't need much from your QB and want to go with the safer option, you've gotta go with Smith. He's home, facing an awful defense and doesn't turn the ball over. Winston is definitely more of a play if you need the upside. 

Chiefs RBs will get 5 TDs this week. Smith is a must bench. They will not sling the ball all over and let Brees on the field. Kill the clock mode.

Starting Mariota over him this week. I like Jameis' match-up, and wouldn't have any problem starting him if I didn't have better options, but the prospect that Koetter may have lost some confidence in him, and may get more conservative as a result, makes me the tiniest bit nervous. So I'll be happy even if he blows up on my bench, because at least then I'll feel reassured about what I have going forward.

Starting Mariota over him this week. I like Jameis' match-up, and wouldn't have any problem starting him if I didn't have better options, but the prospect that Koetter may have lost some confidence in him, and may get more conservative as a result, makes me the tiniest bit nervous. So I'll be happy even if he blows up on my bench, because at least then I'll feel reassured about what I have going forward.
Winston or smith bro?

My main thought is that if you had told me before the draft that TB would be trotting out Quizz and Shorts in the starting lineup by Week 7 I never would have drafted Winston.
Yeah they should not be starters, maybe not even depth roster guys.  Its kinda scary

Performance today definitely a good sign.  Sf is a bad defense and he did exactly what he is supposed to do to them.  

Big time throws yesterday. It was nice to see Russell Shephard make some plays for Winston. This guy needs more weapons. 

Pretty impressive considering the skill positions are decimated outside of Evans. 

Big time throws yesterday. It was nice to see Russell Shephard make some plays for Winston. This guy needs more weapons. 

Pretty impressive considering the skill positions are decimated outside of Evans. 
Yes I might pick shepard up before he has another good game vs oak

Users who are viewing this thread