What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Hendon Hooker, DET (1 Viewer)

Hooker was a very smart pick by Detroit...first of all if anyone says they knew Goff was going to go the next level and get a massive deal they are full of it...at the time of the pick Hooker was insurance if they were to move on from Goff...secondly, they now have a potential quality backup...If Hooker is developing the Lions could keep being very competitive if Goff were to go down...and lastly Hooker could be potential trade bait at some point but for now you have a backup with upside for the next three years at very low $...this pick was smart roster management.
…….but even for an old prospect is he any good?

Right now, I will give the benefit of the doubt to the Lions front office...they seem to be doing OK.

Hooker was a very smart pick by Detroit...first of all if anyone says they knew Goff was going to go the next level and get a massive deal they are full of it...at the time of the pick Hooker was insurance if they were to move on from Goff...secondly, they now have a potential quality backup...If Hooker is developing the Lions could keep being very competitive if Goff were to go down...and lastly Hooker could be potential trade bait at some point but for now you have a backup with upside for the next three years at very low $...this pick was smart roster management.

Right now, I will give the benefit of the doubt to the Lions front office...they seem to be doing OK.
So, how old will he be before he’s given a chance, because he’s still a rookie until he does. I can’t see him being worth much in a trade until he proves it on the field.

So, how old will he be before he’s given a chance, because he’s still a rookie until he does. I can’t see him being worth much in a trade until he proves it on the field.
He obviously will play in preseason this year and the way the NFL goes, good chance he’s called on at some point this year.

He obviously will play in preseason this year and the way the NFL goes, good chance he’s called on at some point this year.
Why would he be called upon this year in the regular season? Are you trying to predict an injury to Goff? He started every game last year and every game the year before that.

Why would he be called upon this year in the regular season? Are you trying to predict an injury to Goff? He started every game last year and every game the year before that.
Injuries happen. It’s a common part of the game. Goff has stayed very healthy in his career. He has a good line and gets rid of the ball quickly. Still, injuries happen. Last year half of the a NFL teams lost their starting QB to injury for at least 1 week.

Injuries happen. It’s a common part of the game. Goff has stayed very healthy in his career. He has a good line and gets rid of the ball quickly. Still, injuries happen. Last year half of the a NFL teams lost their starting QB to injury for at least 1 week.
Not something to hang your hat on for hoping Hooker gets on the field. I can see him being close to 30 before sniffing the field during the regular season and we don’t even know if he’s any good. He’s not a UFA until 2027.

Not something to hang your hat on for hoping Hooker gets on the field. I can see him being close to 30 before sniffing the field during the regular season and we don’t even know if he’s any good. He’s not a UFA until 2027.
For dynasty purposes or for his career, it’s not ideal. But that’s the life of a 3rd round pick at QB. That’s backup and project territory.

For dynasty purposes or for his career, it’s not ideal. But that’s the life of a 3rd round pick at QB. That’s backup and project territory.
Too bad he’s not 3 years younger. UFA in 2027. That makes him almost 30 if he’s starting somewhere that season.

Too bad he’s not 3 years younger. UFA in 2027. That makes him almost 30 if he’s starting somewhere that season.
Yeah but also if he was 3 years younger, he probably would have been an early 2nd round pick.

Yeah but also if he was 3 years younger, he probably would have been an early 2nd round pick.
Not that it matters because he isn’t.

Not that it matters because he isn’t.
Yep. Just what it is. He took 6 years in college to get himself draftable and he had an unfortunate injury. On one hand it sucks but it’s also just what it is and he’s living out his dream as an NFL player. He has a chance to turn this into an 8-10 year gig and set his family up very well financially.

Not sure why you are so hung up on this...he was a third round pick who was drafted because at this point last year Goff's long-term future with the Lions was still a bit of a mystery...they did not use a first-round pick on him with the intention he would definitely be a starter...as for trade value he may never have any or if Goff went down this year and he lit it up he could have a huge amount of value next offseason...as for age recent history says QBs appear to have a longer shelf-life than other positions so he still should have a solid 8-10 years ahead of him if he ever becomes legit.

Last edited:
Wasted pick by the Lions. What is he, 40 soon?

He wasn't even the oldest QB drafted in 2023.

The jury is still completely out on Hooker after what amounted to a redshirt season. He was on the 53-man roster down the stretch and the playoffs but never saw the field.

If at anytime in the next three years Goff goes down, and the Lions play .500 or better in his absence, it definitely will not be classified a wasted pick.

Their roster is amongst the top 4 in the NFL; it would be franchise malpractice to not have a Plan B for the season. What do you think this is, the Colts?
Its very odd how undervalued backup QBs are. If there is a decent prospect, teams should draft him whether QB is a need or not. Middling veteran backup QBs make 10 million a year, a 3rd round rookie (who has much more upside than those guys) make nowhere near as much and could potentially net more down the road.

As for Hooker. Do I think he's some elite prospect? No, I don't. Do I think he was a good pick by the Lions? Absolutely. Truth be told, I'm not seeing that much of a difference between Hooker and Michael Penix, both talent wise, and situation wise. Though the Lions didn't burn the #8 pick to do it, so credit to them.

Now, I'm one of the people who is down on the Goff contract. I don't think Goff is a top-10 NFL QB, he's in the 11-15 range for me. I think the Lions are an almost perfect situation for a QB, with the NFL's best OL, high-end skill talent, and a great play caller. I think Hooker could be productive in this offense right away if needed. That's not saying they should have dumped Goff and just gone with Hooker, just that I don't think the offense falls apart if Hooker has to start, and a lot of that is because he's a good prospect in his own right.

The jury is still completely out on Hooker after what amounted to a redshirt season. He was on the 53-man roster down the stretch and the playoffs but never saw the field.

If at anytime in the next three years Goff goes down, and the Lions play .500 or better in his absence, it definitely will not be classified a wasted pick.

Their roster is amongst the top 4 in the NFL; it would be franchise malpractice to not have a Plan B for the season. What do you think this is, the Colts?
Its very odd how undervalued backup QBs are. If there is a decent prospect, teams should draft him whether QB is a need or not. Middling veteran backup QBs make 10 million a year, a 3rd round rookie (who has much more upside than those guys) make nowhere near as much and could potentially net more down the road.

As for Hooker. Do I think he's some elite prospect? No, I don't. Do I think he was a good pick by the Lions? Absolutely. Truth be told, I'm not seeing that much of a difference between Hooker and Michael Penix, both talent wise, and situation wise. Though the Lions didn't burn the #8 pick to do it, so credit to them.

Now, I'm one of the people who is down on the Goff contract. I don't think Goff is a top-10 NFL QB, he's in the 11-15 range for me. I think the Lions are an almost perfect situation for a QB, with the NFL's best OL, high-end skill talent, and a great play caller. I think Hooker could be productive in this offense right away if needed. That's not saying they should have dumped Goff and just gone with Hooker, just that I don't think the offense falls apart if Hooker has to start, and a lot of that is because he's a good prospect in his own right.
If he was a good prospect why wasn’t he drafted higher, injury be damned? Teams are starved for QBs. I seem to remember he was a questionable prospect without the injury.

Last edited:

And let me expand on this because I mentioned in the Lions thread that they have evolved into a team that could possibly draft a rookie and see very little dip in production if they found the right guy...but instead of gambling like that, why not groom a QB for 1-2 years behind Goff and then either trade Goff or let him go so you have a boatload of money to burn while the QB is on a rookie contract. Eventually San Fran is going to have to pay the piper. What would San Fran look like with Purdy commanding $55M a year when he is ready for an extension?

It's interesting to think about vs reality. Goff is one of the best in the 4th Q, something like 18TD vs 0 Int, maybe he doesn't challenge the defense enough at times but he also doesn't make a lot of bonehead plays that put his team in compromising positions.

He's played in a Super Bowl and a couple NFCC games now, he has a lot of experience at this point. I think he kinda earned his money on this one, but I agree he's not a HoF level type.

Last edited:

If he was a good prospect why wasn’t he drafted higher, injury be damned? Teams are starved for QBs.
I think its a lot easier to say injury be damned than actually draft a guy you know will be unavailable for a year highly. We see really talented guys fall down draft boards due to injuries that had happened years earlier in their careers, so to me it was no surprise a guy who currently had one falls. To a similar end, I think if Jonathan Brooks hadn't had the ACL tear and been able to test this spring, he may have ended up a late 1st rounder.

I thought Hooker was a 2nd round talent, who fell a round due to injury and maybe age, though he was only a year older than Penix/Nix, who both were grossly over drafted in my eyes.

If he was a good prospect why wasn’t he drafted higher, injury be damned? Teams are starved for QBs.
I think its a lot easier to say injury be damned than actually draft a guy you know will be unavailable for a year highly. We see really talented guys fall down draft boards due to injuries that had happened years earlier in their careers, so to me it was no surprise a guy who currently had one falls. To a similar end, I think if Jonathan Brooks hadn't had the ACL tear and been able to test this spring, he may have ended up a late 1st rounder.

I thought Hooker was a 2nd round talent, who fell a round due to injury and maybe age, though he was only a year older than Penix/Nix, who both were grossly over drafted in my eyes.
I seem to remember he was a questionable talent.

I seem to remember he was a questionable talent.

It was a very difficult evaluation - as is any skill position player from the Vols over the past several seasons. Uptempo, spread offense that none of their players will ever see again after leaving Knoxville. There is nothing translatable to the Sunday version of the game of 11-on-11 football. Receivers are in VERY wide sets, they only run 9s or comebacks, quarterbacks don’t develop any ability to go through a progression of reads. It’s either there and you fire or if they’re covered you take off up the middle. They’re also run heavy (55-60%) and because the spread has linebackers and safetys consistently out of position the running lanes are comically wide.

Josh Heupel is effective at achieving production at CFB level but he does not prepare the talent for the next level of competition. The first year for any skill position player you draft from UT is wasted bc you have to teach them fundamentals their peers have been mastering for 3-5 years.

:shrug: He was dropped in my SF league. I picked him up for $0. I don’t expect anything but at the cost of a useless backup WR, I’ll take it.

I stink at evaluating QBs predraft and predicting success. I admit it's my awful position. NFL GMs don't.
Hooker does everything well. He checks every box. He's average to above average in any skill and not elite but he's already doing everything

I've said I wouldn't draft Levis with mental issues and issues throwing left but he's as tough as they come as a runner and has as good an arm as anyone.

Richardson. My goodness I would have avoided him like the plague one year after Malik Willis articles and draft evaluations. I'd have heard enough of elite athleticism and arm strength as the only two redeemable qualities.

Clearly I'm wrong.
I'm fine with it though. Gimme the most well rounded guys and that's the safest way to go.

Age is overstated so much with QBs. If this guy plays 14 years til he's 37, he's more valuable than that guy playing 14 years til he's 39? Cmon.

Age to me is- has he learned poise and to be a leader? Maybe learned to take care of his bod and personal life? I'm way more confident in the 25 year old that works out a lot, is a good teammate, and does charitable acts than the 22 year old that drinks every day and says he's an Instagram model. Obviously exaggerating but ya get my point. They're all young and it's so overblown.

Kiser was like 19 wasn't he? Kobe and Lebron aren't playing in the NFL, college needs to season these prospects some

:shrug: He was dropped in my SF league. I picked him up for $0. I don’t expect anything but at the cost of a useless backup WR, I’ll take it.
Not often does one find a free Hooker.
Isn't that an oxymoron?
@-OZ- Let's put it this way, if I wanted a hooker I wouldn't want it to be free. You get what you pay for :)
Wives are more expensive.
Just sayin.
:fishing:
Never had a hooker, but I have been married a long time and agree with you. However, there is a hooker on the waiver wire in one of my leagues and haven't added him.

I think Hooker would be a great wildcat QB option. Goff mobility stinks and at the goal line it becomes a real handicap. Hooker could run more QB sneaks, and rollouts, or options. I would bring in a jumbo package which includes Giovanni Manu and run behind him. There are lots of fun things you could do with Hooker thst would give defenses fits and force them to use valuable prep time.

A backup QB on a team with a high powered offense has value if the starter gets hurt.
The thing that people seem to forget is that he was a questionable prospect before the injury. Has that changed? Go ahead and convince me that I should pick him up off waivers, and you have by mentioning the team he is on, but there he still sits on the waiver wire. Perhaps I'm not examining him well enough.

A backup QB on a team with a high powered offense has value if the starter gets hurt.
The thing that people seem to forget is that he was a questionable prospect before the injury. Has that changed? Go ahead and convince me that I should pick him up off waivers, and you have by mentioning the team he is on, but there he still sits on the waiver wire. Perhaps I'm not examining him well enough.
How deep are rosters? Mine is very deep and while I usually don't have many QB's this time of year (starters usually don't get injured in summer) I start to accumulate them come August. Normally have double digits by early in the season. But if Hooker were available now I'd make room for him in an instant. Nothing more valuable once deep enough in SF than backup QB's. It was nice not needing to think about backups much last year as Purdy and Stafford stayed healthy, but having an arsenal of backups put me in a position to decide between Heinecke and Dobbs to cover byes then having Browning as insurance come playoffs. When I wasn't as lucky the season before Mike White and Brissett provided adequate filler until one of my roster churns uncovered Purdy.

Purdy withstanding, are you more confident in any of those names vs Hooker?

How deep are rosters? Mine is very deep and while I usually don't have many QB's this time of year (starters usually don't get injured in summer) I start to accumulate them come August. Normally have double digits by early in the season. But if Hooker were available now I'd make room for him in an instant. Nothing more valuable once deep enough in SF than backup QB's. It was nice not needing to think about backups much last year as Purdy and Stafford stayed healthy, but having an arsenal of backups put me in a position to decide between Heinecke and Dobbs to cover byes then having Browning as insurance come playoffs. When I wasn't as lucky the season before Mike White and Brissett provided adequate filler until one of my roster churns uncovered Purdy.

Not SF. 14 team 1qb ppr.

FWIW he looked horrible at minicamp. Poor accuracy & got yelled at by coaches for mistakes in the two minute drill.

May mean nothing, maybe it starts clicking for him in TC. But he’s not a lock to be the backup rn.

Not SF. 14 team 1qb ppr.
Then why are you quoting posts about SF? I generally don't care about Hooker types in single QB and especially in summer.

Not SF. 14 team 1qb ppr.
Then why are you quoting posts about SF? I generally don't care about Hooker types in single QB and especially in summer.
Yep, that happens a lot in this forum. I should have been 1qb specific, even if I was quoting a post that mentioned SF.

Yep, that happens a lot in this forum. I should have been 1qb specific, even if I was quoting a post that mentioned SF.
That’s a huge difference here. I wouldn’t bother to pick up hooker in 1qb.
Last year I started Joe Flacco for most of my playoff run. I think I started 6 different QBs that I wasn’t planning on at the start of the season.
Now, I have two I’m fairly confident in (Caleb and Purdy), Watson, and a handful of QBs I wouldn’t carry in 1qb leagues. But I’m strong elsewhere so I keep the lottery tickets at QB in SF.

Users who are viewing this thread