What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (1 Viewer)

I am thikning about dropping him, he looks SO lost and based on the preseason, not sure what there is to work with here. I snagged Goff and I have Fields. Had high hopes but... yeah

I am thikning about dropping him, he looks SO lost and based on the preseason, not sure what there is to work with here. I snagged Goff and I have Fields. Had high hopes but... yeah

I would (am) hanging on. That HOU game was weird... no flow... cheated out of three possessions.... no need for anything from the offense. This CIN game could snap him back.

He's at least worth a gamble over Goff (assuming Fields is your starter), especially if rushing QBs are bonused in your league.

Even in redraft I think people are better off hanging on, even if you won’t start him. He still has the potential to put up a big game or two during the ff playoffs.

I would (am) hanging on. That HOU game was weird... no flow... cheated out of three possessions.... no need for anything from the offense. This CIN game could snap him back.

He's at least worth a gamble over Goff (assuming Fields is your starter), especially if rushing QBs are bonused in your league.
Good point. I normally note three non-offensive scores and how it impacts QB production but for whatever reason it eluded me since I was focused on Deshuan's poor throws.
I went back and historically he is one of the best with deep ball accuracy and the Browns only went deep once and Watson hit on a perfect play-action for a 27-yard gain.
More than likely the Bengals will take a lead forcing Deshuan to 'attempt' more deep passes, he 'could' get into a rhythm.
I still think it will take time for him to regain composure when facing pressure and I'd like to see him take a hit and bounce back up to help speed along regaining his toughness because I think his nerves got to him last Sunday.

Even in redraft I think people are better off hanging on, even if you won’t start him. He still has the potential to put up a big game or two during the ff playoffs.
I'm always scared to outright drop someone like him. I'd rather have him blow up on my bench than against me in the playoffs.

Must win game and I need to start Huntley or Watson. Like the upside with Watson but his floor seems lower.
Not sure what I would do. I did try to pick up Huntley with Fields on a bye and Watson is now it for me.

I don't know that much about Huntley or BAL this year with injuries galore at all scoring positions. Likely stick with Watson as he is bound to start clicking again to keep up with CIN. I imagine the team will offer him a few more designed runs, which will help his low floor. I can't go D Jones or M White and likely have a hard time plugging in T Huntley. Kinda glad I wasn't able to pick him up to tell you the truth, lower waiver wire number in that league got him.

Browns offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said he wants to stick with Deshaun Watson under center for the remainder of the season.​

Van Pelt, when asked about turning back to Jacoby Brissett in a must-win Week 14 game against the Bengals, said the team would stick with Watson -- the highest paid player in the NFL. “I think you always have the ability to call the game for Jacoby,” Van Pelt said Thursday. “That’s the easiest part. I don’t see that happening, but that’s always easy to get to.” Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski this week knocked down questions about benching Watson following his disastrous Week 13 outing against Houston. Both Stefanski and Van Pelt said they wanted Watson to get as many late-season reps as possible. Cleveland in Week 13 managed six offensive points as Watson threw for 131 yards and an end zone interception on 22 attempts. Watson's completion rate over expected was the second worst among all quarterbacks in Week 13. Only Kyle Allen was more inaccurate. Watson is little more than a superflex option against a tough Bengals defense in Week 14.
SOURCE: Cleveland.com
Dec 9, 2022, 11:06 AM ET

Browns offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said he wants to stick with Deshaun Watson under center for the remainder of the season.​

Van Pelt, when asked about turning back to Jacoby Brissett in a must-win Week 14 game against the Bengals, said the team would stick with Watson -- the highest paid player in the NFL. “I think you always have the ability to call the game for Jacoby,” Van Pelt said Thursday. “That’s the easiest part. I don’t see that happening, but that’s always easy to get to.” Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski this week knocked down questions about benching Watson following his disastrous Week 13 outing against Houston. Both Stefanski and Van Pelt said they wanted Watson to get as many late-season reps as possible. Cleveland in Week 13 managed six offensive points as Watson threw for 131 yards and an end zone interception on 22 attempts. Watson's completion rate over expected was the second worst among all quarterbacks in Week 13. Only Kyle Allen was more inaccurate. Watson is little more than a superflex option against a tough Bengals defense in Week 14.
SOURCE: Cleveland.com
Dec 9, 2022, 11:06 AM ET
I need to know who in Cleveland asked the OC about turning back to Brissett, because that is not a serious journalist. That's a clown.

What I'm finding humorous is that almost everyone said he'd experience some rust and need to get through a game or two... don't start him just yet. And then when he does exactly what was predicted "OMGZZZZ, drop him! He stinks!!!"

Fantasy football really is soap opera for men.

What I'm finding humorous is that almost everyone said he'd experience some rust and need to get through a game or two... don't start him just yet. And then when he does exactly what was predicted "OMGZZZZ, drop him! He stinks!!!"

I saw the opposite - many sports writers and FF board geeks said rust wouldn’t be a factor, he’s been working out on the side, had a whole preseason with the team, etc.

Looked pretty damn rusty to me.

I saw the opposite - many sports writers and FF board geeks said rust wouldn’t be a factor, he’s been working out on the side, had a whole preseason with the team, etc.

No one I follow for fantasy football advice said that rust wouldn’t be an issue and recommended starting him.

No one I follow for fantasy football advice said that rust wouldn’t be an issue and recommended starting him.
I didn’t see anyone recommend starting him, but I absolutely did see quite a few saying rust would’t be an issue even after 2+ years of not playing.

I saw it during the signing hullabaloo as well.

Last edited:
Must win game and I need to start Huntley or Watson. Like the upside with Watson but his floor seems lower.
Not sure what I would do. I did try to pick up Huntley with Fields on a bye and Watson is now it for me.

I don't know that much about Huntley or BAL this year with injuries galore at all scoring positions. Likely stick with Watson as he is bound to start clicking again to keep up with CIN. I imagine the team will offer him a few more designed runs, which will help his low floor. I can't go D Jones or M White and likely have a hard time plugging in T Huntley. Kinda glad I wasn't able to pick him up to tell you the truth, lower waiver wire number in that league got him.
Upon hearing the Cooper questionable news I had to bail on Watson. Dropped him in two leagues moments ago. Two much trepidation needing a win for my first league. League 1 dropped Watson for D Jones. Have Fields. Jones gives me a safer play. League 2 dropped Watson for Dulcich backup TE for Freiermuth. Start Tua. Could have gone D Jones or Dulcich. Solid at WR and RB.

Edit: For those of us who can bail, news of Cooper on Friday afternoon is the start of the sell, sell, sell for some of us.

Upon hearing the Cooper questionable news I had to bail on Watson. Dropped him in two leagues moments ago. Two much trepidation needing a win for my first league. League 1 dropped Watson for D Jones. Have Fields. Jones gives me a safer play. League 2 dropped Watson for Dulcich backup TE for Freiermuth. Start Tua. Could have gone D Jones or Dulcich. Solid at WR and RB.

Edit: For those of us who can bail, news of Cooper on Friday afternoon is the start of the sell, sell, sell for some of us.
Now that is looks like Cooper will play is Watson back to a consideration play? Golly
In one league with Fields on a bye I gotta pick a week 14 QB - Watson, Jones, or even M White longshot lol

Browns offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said downfield attempts from Deshaun Watson should increase in the coming weeks.​

Only five of Watson's 64 pass attempt this season have exceeded 20 yards downfield, one of the lowest rates in the league since Watson made his debut in Week 13. He's completed one of those deep shots for 21 yards and threw an interception on another. More downfield throwing would be a positive development for Amari Cooper and Donovan Peoples-Jones; the two wideouts have combined for 63 percent of the Browns' air yards this season. Watson faces off against a pass-funnel Baltimore defense in Week 15.
SOURCE: Scott Petrak on Twitter
Dec 14, 2022, 12:51 PM ET

Any D Watson takers this week on Saturday 4:30 p.m. EST

BAL @ CLE

Most everything I hear is low scoring game.

Playing him over Tua @BUF.
Oh boy - that's exactly staring me in the face.

To Tua, or not too Tua = < Watson
I'm a little concerned Tua and the Phins might be crashing and burning. The SFF game was one thing, but that LAC game got my attention.
Certainly not a "get right" game on the road in BUF. Not exactly a favorable schedule the rest of the way either. Against Green Bay, @NE, home against the JETS. As I scour the QB FA looking at Watson, but I start Chubb. Looking at D Jones who has a solid floor of 14-15 and potential to hit 20+. Gets a good schedule on a prime SNF game. WAS is a good team and I expect a tempered amount of scoring. 20-20 T. How about 24-24 T Vegas sees this one like WAS 22.5 NYG 18. Perhaps two total TD's. Not looking that good. Then back to Tua. Golly. Jones gets decent matchups in week 16 @MIN and week 17 home IND. I mean Tua is on a slide and might have to put on a tourniquet with a back up plan. Watson, hmm He gets a decent schedule. Perhaps the Browns build upon more success heading into the offseason.

this is probably my last season of fantasy football and I have zero confidence I can polish this turd

considering my choices he's the ride or die

have a decent team but my emergency QB's role is try not to hurt the team too badly mmmKay

getting better each game. scrambling looks better. arm looking better.

he's missing some easy reads and some easy throws, but those also improving week by week... some of that is obv rust and some just not having time w his receivers. but it's getting better.

he'll be back to 100% next season (no exccuses by then) and then things will really get interesting. as long as i see weekly progression hereon out, i am 100% in and on board and captaining the ship.

Deshaun Watson completed 18-of-28 attempts for 161 yards and one touchdown in the Browns' Week 15 win over the Ravens, adding six rushes for 22 yards.​

The Browns forced and capitalized on multiple miscues from the Ravens, including two turnovers on downs, a missed field goal, a red zone interception, a fumble, and a blocked field goal. The defensive fortitude led to a game environment the Browns controlled throughout, providing the opportunity to confine the modest pass volume to short area work. Watson has provided modest-at-best stats since returning to action following his suspension, which has not yet lived up to expectations for fantasy managers that stashed him early in the season.
Dec 17, 2022, 7:40 PM ET

getting better each game. scrambling looks better. arm looking better.

he's missing some easy reads and some easy throws, but those also improving week by week... some of that is obv rust and some just not having time w his receivers. but it's getting better.

he'll be back to 100% next season (no exccuses by then) and then things will really get interesting. as long as i see weekly progression hereon out, i am 100% in and on board and captaining the ship.

Agreed. Another bad game script for fantasy purposes playing the Baltimore Clockkillers yesterday, but he is making some bad decisions as well. That play where he started to scramble, then just before taking off he pulled up and threw it over the head of a receiver that clearly thought he was running... that one stands out.

he is making some bad decisions as well. That play where he started to scramble, then just before taking off he pulled up and threw it over the head of a receiver that clearly thought he was running... that one stands out.
Rookie WR didn't turn up the field as he should.
Rookie mistake by the rookie WR not Watson.
Mistakes are not a one-way street where everything that goes wrong is on Watson.

he is making some bad decisions as well. That play where he started to scramble, then just before taking off he pulled up and threw it over the head of a receiver that clearly thought he was running... that one stands out.
Rookie WR didn't turn up the field as he should.
Rookie mistake by the rookie WR not Watson.
Mistakes are not a one-way street where everything that goes wrong is on Watson.

Looked like a wide open field of green ahead of him. Easy pick up... much easier than the lob he attempted.

Is there any optimism, at all, for him this weekend? Obviously, we need weather updates but all signs pointing to high winds.

Is there any optimism, at all, for him this weekend? Obviously, we need weather updates but all signs pointing to high winds.
No.
Prediction.
The pitchfork wielding crowd will note the low production from Watson in this game without any context, lol. Bet large on this happening, absolute certainty.

**looks outside living room window**

You'd have to be out of your G D mind to start any QB in this noise.
Only a guy like Josh Allen, which isn't even a good idea.
It.....is....... brutal
Thanks, that's good enough to make my mind up. I live in the UK, don't get winds like that, so hard to know the impact of what's being talked about.

It.....is....... brutal
Thanks, that's good enough to make my mind up. I live in the UK, don't get winds like that, so hard to know the impact of what's being talked about.
I was outside 10 minutes and thought I was getting frostbite on my face. I'm not joking.
Wind is hard enough, but wind that feels like tiny icy knives is a whole other level of difficult.

It.....is....... brutal
We're laughing at the neighbors trying to shovel their driveway. By the time they get to the end they have to double back and re-shovel what they did before then once they do that they have to go back to the end again. Just need sped up time lapsed video and Benny Hill music.

was really looking forward to the NO battle... THe exact type of grimy matchup you want a QB of his ilk for... and definitely a test for his progress.

while it would be ludicrous to fault him for a bad game (it won't stop ppl) i would love nothing more than for him to somehow carry this team on his shoulders today.

could we see a lot more QB designed run plays? methinks yes

Jake Trotter@Jake_Trotter​

After walking from the parking lot to the stadium, I have no idea how either team is going to be able to complete a pass today #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png #saintsNOSaints2022SeasonEmoji.png

Users who are viewing this thread