What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (2 Viewers)

What an albatross around the browns neck this guy is...he is no better than PJ at 30x the cost

Agreed. Amazing to think that $230 million paid to the QB and it appears that the Browns are a QB away from being a Super Bowl contender. Crazy.

PJ Walker sucks, and DTR is nowhere near ready, but this may be the best team in the AFC at OL, and defense (and ST too) and yet this feels like a .500 team going forward,

PJ may or may not stink but he's won two games that I am not sure Watson would have.
don't necessarily disagree, but are you discussing healthy Watson or injured Watson in this hypothetical?
I’m not sure it matters. Watson has been underwhelming since joining the Browns

Allen Houston showed why guaranteed contracts are bad in the NBA. Deshaun Watson is following suit in the NFL. Guy looks like he's on an IV drip of Dramamine. From a fantasy perspective, I'm not sure how I could ever start this guy moving forward.

PJ Walker sucks, and DTR is nowhere near ready, but this may be the best team in the AFC at OL, and defense (and ST too) and yet this feels like a .500 team going forward,

PJ may or may not stink but he's won two games that I am not sure Watson would have.
don't necessarily disagree, but are you discussing healthy Watson or injured Watson in this hypothetical?
I’m not sure it matters. Watson has been underwhelming since joining the Browns
true, but he had a nice game against the Titans, which shows me his ceiling when healthy is quite a bit higher than that of Walker.

true, but he had a nice game against the Titans, which shows me his ceiling when healthy is quite a bit higher than that of Walker.

Well for $230 million and a boatload of #1 picks I should hope his ceiling is higher than an undrafted FA.

You are right, Watson did have a nice game against Tennessee but had two clunkers before. Maybe he was coming around and was ready to set the world on fire but based on his body of work since joining the Browns that certainly was not a given.

Adam Schefter
Some clarity on Deshaun Watson’s injury: doctors told him that he has a strain of the subscapularis within the rotator cuff and he continues to have both pain and weakness with movement. This type of injury in baseball normally causes pitchers to miss 4-6 weeks. Watson continues to work to regain strength and velocity in his shoulder and shorten that window.
So, it's now been 4 weeks. Probably shouldn't have played last weekend.

I have him in dynasty SF and I can't trade him for anything of value, I'll just continue to hold him on the bench and hope it gets better I guess.

interesting that we now know the exact muscle involved.

subscapularis is particularly difficult to treat due to it's location.

there is essentially no way to directly treat it because it is underneath the scapula.

Well for $230 million and a boatload of #1 picks I should hope his ceiling is higher than an undrafted FA.

You are right, Watson did have a nice game against Tennessee but had two clunkers before. Maybe he was coming around and was ready to set the world on fire but based on his body of work since joining the Browns that certainly was not a given.
you said PJ Walker won two games you weren't sure Watson would have, whether or not Watson was healthy.

i disagree with that, and i'm sure most people who have watched the games would disagree as well.

Walker is terrible.

you said PJ Walker won two games you weren't sure Watson would have, whether or not Watson was healthy.

i disagree with that, and i'm sure most people who have watched the games would disagree as well.

Walker is terrible.

Fair enough, my point is that aside from one game in 2022 and one game in 2023, Watson hasn't bee very good with Cleveland.

I was watching the Colts game before Watson was injured and he looked awful (1/5 5yds, 0 TD, 1 int). Granted it is a small sample size but he sure didn't look like a QB that was going to lead his team to victory.

In any case I am not suggesting that Walker is a good quarterback but something just seems wrong with Watson, whether healthy or not, and it has been that way since last season.

Walker is terrible.

Fair enough, my point is that aside from one game in 2022 and one game in 2023, Watson hasn't bee very good with Cleveland.

I was watching the Colts game before Watson was injured and he looked awful (1/5 5yds, 0 TD, 1 int). Granted it is a small sample size but he sure didn't look like a QB that was going to lead his team to victory.

In any case I am not suggesting that Walker is a good quarterback but something just seems wrong with Watson, whether healthy or not, and it has been that way since last season.
i didn't get to see the beginning of the game, but from the clips that i saw, the shoulder clearly hasn't healed enough for him to be on a football field.

they can spin it however they want, but him getting hit and being taken out of the game was the best thing that could've happened in regards to winning that particular game.

Browns playing with absolute fire encouraging or even allowing their $230 MM play with an injured throwing rotator. Where are the adults in their room?

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said Deshaun Watson (shoulder) will not play in Week 8 against the Seahawks.
Stefanski said Watson will “rest this week and focus on the rehab.” He noted that Watson is dealing with residual swelling in his shoulder that is affecting his ability to throw. Watson attempted to play through the injury in Week 7 but left to be evaluated for a concussion in the second quarter. He was cleared to return but bizarrely stayed on the sidelines for the remainder of the game. After the contest, Stefanski said Watson would start in Week 8. Watson’s shoulder injury is beginning to spiral out of control as he was initially expected to play through the injury in Week 4. It’s unclear when he will take the field next. P.J. Walker will start in his place.

Nobody should take a nice passing game against the titans to indicate anything.

Walker is terrible.
Shoulda kept Dodds. Or Baker. Or just signed Minshew. Or drafted Picket with last year’s first. Or traded less to get the #1 overall and drafted Stroud 🤷‍♂️

as much as I like Watson (a lot), he's far from a lock to be the top pick. Top 3 sure. If I'm him, I declare and let the browns know, privately, that I'm not interested in playing for them.
Just looking through the first page, :lmao: at this one.

On of, but not the worst, thanks to the Denver Broncos
It might be bias but I’d bregrudgingly take Wilson with that deal over Watson with this one.
Agree. Very difficult to exceed the Watson fiasco. It reeks in so many ways.

:lmao:

It’s almost enough to make us wonder whether a surprise trade could happen before next Tuesday. At this point, however, who would take on the balance of that contract?

Yeah, that last part is just talking heads.

Quarterbacks shoulders are just like pitchers. It all makes sense until it's time to get back to work and then none of it does then some time later it seems like oh now? Now you're ready?

The Browns had such a similar experience with Baker's shoulder.
It's gotta be aggravating to experience round two as a fan. One year everyone had the Browns as stacked and potential champs with Baker and now their D is rocking and ...it's gotta stink.

Media Expert - "In future, teams and fans alike will look back on the Russell Wilson trade and contract and being the worst process ever in professional sports"

D Watson - "Hold my towel ....."
Please don't post things like this when I am taking a sip of my drink in public. TIA

Quarterbacks shoulders are just like pitchers. It all makes sense until it's time to get back to work and then none of it does then some time later it seems like oh now? Now you're ready?

The Browns had such a similar experience with Baker's shoulder.
It's gotta be aggravating to experience round two as a fan. One year everyone had the Browns as stacked and potential champs with Baker and now their D is rocking and ...it's gotta stink.
Another QB throwing left handed would have made better throws than Watson last week. His decision making was horrific and zero chance Browns win if he stayed in. None. He's been dreadful, and that was the bowels of dreadful

Deshaun Watson said he knew his shoulder “wasn’t right” after playing a few series in Week 7 against the Colts.
Speaking with the media on Thursday, Watson said of Sunday’s game, “Got a little taste, three or four series. At the end of the day, it wasn’t right.” According to Watson, the biggest concern after the hit that knocked him from the game was his shoulder, with concussion concerns coming later on. Watson has already been ruled out for Week 8 against the Seahawks, but could miss additional time with an injury that has left us bewildered for weeks.

It’s almost enough to make us wonder whether a surprise trade could happen before next Tuesday. At this point, however, who would take on the balance of that contract?

They can’t possibly mean a trade involving Watson. It would have to be a trade to bring in another QB and keep Watson on the roster. If CLE did trade or release Watson, they would immediately take a $220M salary cap hit.

They can’t possibly mean a trade involving Watson. It would have to be a trade to bring in another QB and keep Watson on the roster. If CLE did trade or release Watson, they would immediately take a $220M salary cap hit.
It’s a dumb comment imo.
Still, while it sucks for the fans and Cleveland has a few players who deserve a legit chance at a ring, all this couldn’t happen to a more deserving franchise.

Another QB throwing left handed would have made better throws than Watson last week. His decision making was horrific and zero chance Browns win if he stayed in. None. He's been dreadful, and that was the bowels of dreadful
It’s almost like he hasn’t played football in a couple years and might actually be injured.

It’s almost like he hasn’t played football in a couple years and might actually be injured.

Or even worse, a Ben Simmons type mental plague where a basketball player can't shoot or a when a baseball pitcher forgets how to pitch.

Nobody should take a nice passing game against the titans to indicate anything.

Walker is terrible.
Shoulda kept Dodds. Or Baker. Or just signed Minshew. Or drafted Picket with last year’s first. Or traded less to get the #1 overall and drafted Stroud 🤷‍♂️
As a Texans' fan Thank God! that didn't happen.
2 of the best things that's happened to the Texas organization 1) Watson demanding to be traded and 2) Winning their final game last season slipping to #2 in the draft.

This will go down as one of the worst trade in sports history, and THE worst contract in sports history. Quite the dubious distinction.

I don’t like Watson. The contract is horrific also.

However, I do think he can easily turn his level of play around going forward. It’s logical that he could be rusty when coming off a long time away ( last season ). It’s also logical that he might not have been playing his best with a dodgy shoulder ( latterly this season ). If he gets fit and gets more games back under the belt it’s entirely possible he can get back to some of his Texans form as he’s still young

not sure if that means before the Colts game?

i'm getting the vibe that they're going to try trotting him out there against the Cardinals.

Deshaun Watson said throwing in practice is part of his recovery process and not an indication of whether or not he will play in Week 9 against the Cardinals.
Watson continues to “take it day by day.” The Browns’ QB1 was a limited participant in Wednesday’s practice and will presumably be limited again on Thursday. The tone in his comments didn’t sound like a player who expects to play on Sunday against the Cardinals, but we’ll put off ruling him out until the Browns do the same. If/when Watson is ruled out, P.J. Walker will once again draw the start for the Browns.

I am keeping him on the bench in favor of Carr. I can't trust him in my lineup after what happened in the Indy game. I'll wait until I see him produce on the field before using him again.

He's benched behind Baker Mayfield in my superflex this week. I need to see him finish a game before he's back in the rotation.

I’d love to pick him up and play him over Bryce young but don’t like that weather in cleveland. Also feel like with tune that’s a big running day for the browns and they should control things

I've never had a single share anywhere until just one this year in one of my two main home leagues. But I dropped him like 3 or 4 weeks ago. Even when he was "healthy" he looked terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread