What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dak Prescott, DAL (2 Viewers)

Welp, there went that idea for a lot of quarterback-hungry teams that were thinking about maybe...if just maybe next year.

eta* Good for him, though I wonder what the rest of the team looks like with that cap hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd bet heavily that the Cowboys have little to no chance of surrounding Dak with enough talent to win a Super Bowl with him taking up 20%+ of the cap.

Year QB % of Cap

00 Warner 1.30%

01 Dilfer 1.60%

02Brady0.47%

03Johnson9.60%

04Brady4.40%

05Brady6.30%

06Roethlisberger4.90%

07P. Manning10.40%

08E. Manning9.20%

09Roethlisberger6.80%

10Brees8.30%

11Rodgers6.5M / ~136.5M = 4.76%

12E. Manning11.70%

13Flacco6.60%

14Wilson0.56%

15Brady10.64%

16P. Manning11.66%

17Brady8.62%

18Foles0.91%

19Brady10.73%

20Mahomes2.36%

I'd bet heavily that the Cowboys have little to no chance of surrounding Dak with enough talent to win a Super Bowl with him taking up 20%+ of the cap.

Year QB % of Cap

00 Warner 1.30%

01 Dilfer 1.60%

02Brady0.47%

03Johnson9.60%

04Brady4.40%

05Brady6.30%

06Roethlisberger4.90%

07P. Manning10.40%

08E. Manning9.20%

09Roethlisberger6.80%

10Brees8.30%

11Rodgers6.5M / ~136.5M = 4.76%

12E. Manning11.70%

13Flacco6.60%

14Wilson0.56%

15Brady10.64%

16P. Manning11.66%

17Brady8.62%

18Foles0.91%

19Brady10.73%

20Mahomes2.36%
Eli being the highest is hilarious.  

Dak seems like a good guy and good teammate.   Is Dak worth it?  A player is only worth what a team will pay him. So yes.

NBC Sports Edge:

Cowboys re-signed QB Dak Prescott to a four-year, $160 million contract.

He gets $126 million guaranteed and a no-trade clause. This one wasn't leaked to the media, as the team announced the deal and scheduled a press conference for Wednesday. Prescott "played" last season on the franchise tag but obviously missed all but five games with a gruesome ankle/lower leg injury. Prescott is reportedly on track to be ready for training camp despite needing a second clean-up surgery in December. He doesn't turn 28 until July and is smack-dab in the prime of his career, assuming he recovers normally from that ugly injury. Prescott was going to be a darkhorse MVP candidate if he could have stayed healthy last season. The Cowboys were putting up huge offensive numbers with Prescott healthy, and he has one of the best supporting casts in football. Dallas just needs to get its offensive line healthy and figured out. Prescott is a QB1 in fantasy after finishing 2019 as the overall QB2 in points per game.

Mar 8, 2021, 6:51 PM ET

Dak seems like a good guy and good teammate.   Is Dak worth it?  A player is only worth what a team will pay him. So yes.
When is it worth it to Dallas?   Playoffs?   NFC championship?  SB?   Dallas is the easy favorite to win the NFC East since the other three teams are a mess so playoffs are highly likely in 2021 at least.  

As a Washington fan I am happy they paid Dak. One, I think he's a good guy and earned this payday. But more importantly, this is going to cripple the team and they will continue to suck on defense. All good in the hood!!! 

Dam over first 4 years of his new deal is getting 29 million more than any other QB getting over same time. 

Brutal for Jerrah

When you said "The eagles are paying a QB like 25 mil this year to play for the colts" I thought you meant that they were paying him.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.
My feelings are fine, I just don’t find this kind of tedious fact checking on a message board to be particularly interesting. 

My feelings are fine, I just don’t find this kind of tedious fact checking on a message board to be particularly interesting. 
Okay. I'll remember to not engage with you in basic discussion surrounding your posts.

You don't have to turn the knob to eleven all the time around here you know.

The eagles are paying a QB like 25 mil this year to play for the colts 
Correction: they are paying $34M in dead money for a historically bad franchise QB NOT to play for them this year.

And you better hope Dak stays healthy and in Jerruh's good graces, or the Boys' dead money hit will make that look like loose change in my sofa.

and good luck trying to shore up that sieve of a defense with 20% of the cap tied up in one player. 

Okay. I'll remember to not engage with you in basic discussion surrounding your posts.

You don't have to turn the knob to eleven all the time around here you know.
Much like you think I turn the knob to eleven I think you come off like a know it all at times. I’m sure that colored my response. I’ll drop it from here. 

According to Spotrac, Dallas now has the league's second-highest-paid quarterback, tied-for-second-highest-paid running back (Elliott), fourth-highest-paid wide receiver (Amari Cooper), three of the league's 40 highest-paid offensive linemen (Zack Martin, Tyron Smith and La'el Collins) and one of the NFL's six highest-paid defensive players (DeMarcus Lawrence). 

Ten percent of the 31 NFL players making $20 million per year or more reside on the Dallas roster. 

According to Spotrac, Dallas now has the league's second-highest-paid quarterback, tied-for-second-highest-paid running back (Elliott), fourth-highest-paid wide receiver (Amari Cooper), three of the league's 40 highest-paid offensive linemen (Zack Martin, Tyron Smith and La'el Collins) and one of the NFL's six highest-paid defensive players (DeMarcus Lawrence). 

Ten percent of the 31 NFL players making $20 million per year or more reside on the Dallas roster. 
Already was likely, but Gallup almost certainly walks next year now. Hopefully can land somewhere where he can be a #1 or strong #2.

Already was likely, but Gallup almost certainly walks next year now. Hopefully can land somewhere where he can be a #1 or strong #2.
I don’t think it’s almost - Gallup is gone. I’d actually see what the market is for Gallup right now if I were the Cowboys.  Zeke will get cut too. I think Cee Dee is a number one receiver so Cooper could be before end of contract but I don’t think they have to cut him.

Already was likely, but Gallup almost certainly walks next year now.

I don’t think it’s almost - Gallup is gone. I’d actually see what the market is for Gallup right now if I were the Cowboys. 
I've had same thought process on Gallup and Amari since they drafted Lamb. One will have to go after this year but I'm not so sure it won't be Amari. I think that depends what Gallup will cost to extend.

Agree with you Balco that Dallas should see what the market for Gallup is right now but I'd add they should be doing a price check on Cooper as well. Cooper's contract was done in a such a way he's easily tradeable now, easy to cut after the 2021 season.

Correction: they are paying $34M in dead money for a historically bad franchise QB NOT to play for them this year.

And you better hope Dak stays healthy and in Jerruh's good graces, or the Boys' dead money hit will make that look like loose change in my sofa.

and good luck trying to shore up that sieve of a defense with 20% of the cap tied up in one player. 
This is at least the third time I’ve read this and I’ve questioned it a few times ....nothing 

Can you tell me what Daks cap hit is this year, and then what % of 180 mil (salary cap this year) that is?

I've had same thought process on Gallup and Amari since they drafted Lamb. One will have to go after this year but I'm not so sure it won't be Amari. I think that depends what Gallup will cost to extend.

Agree with you Balco that Dallas should see what the market for Gallup is right now but I'd add they should be doing a price check on Cooper as well. Cooper's contract was done in a such a way he's easily tradeable now, easy to cut after the 2021 season.
IDK, seems like the Cowboys are much higher on Cooper than fantasy footballers are. They traded a 1st for him, they gave him a huge contract 1 year ago. Even if it has outs after only 2 years I feel like they highly value Cooper, he’s also still young and produced his best year as a Cowboy despite Dak going down. They won’t have to pay Lamb for 3-4 more years at which point Cooper would be 30 and at the end of this current contract. Of which, the contract being easily cut or traded also makes it easily restructurable. Gallup seems like the odd man out to me but the Cowboys aren’t always predictable.

Buckna said:
IDK, seems like the Cowboys are much higher on Cooper than fantasy footballers are. They traded a 1st for him, they gave him a huge contract 1 year ago. Even if it has outs after only 2 years I feel like they highly value Cooper, he’s also still young and produced his best year as a Cowboy despite Dak going down. They won’t have to pay Lamb for 3-4 more years at which point Cooper would be 30 and at the end of this current contract. Of which, the contract being easily cut or traded also makes it easily restructurable. Gallup seems like the odd man out to me but the Cowboys aren’t always predictable.
Yep would be absolutely foolish to re-sign Gallup because he is going to command a lot in free agency. And I am really high on Gallup, just a luxury the Cowboys can’t afford.

Users who are viewing this thread