What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB C.J. Stroud, HOU (1 Viewer)

Just my opinion so please don't be angry. I'm a good person. If I was a GM, QBs id take over Stroud:

Mahomes. I just think with all variables even he is the best QB in the league.

Allen. Turnovers? Yep. Elite plays? Yep. Guy can make every throw. Can run. Elite.

Lamar. Different style then the two guys above him, but his skill set is a nightmare to defend.

Burrow. Only red flag is he has missed big chunks of 2 of his 4 seasons. That's it.

Herbert. Don't care if it upsets people. Guy has it. Every tool u desire in a QB. Only red flag has been coaching. Hopefully he gets an upgrade.

Purdy. Yep. After awhile u just can't ignore what he has done. Is he simply in the perfect spot? Maybe. He still has played elite football.

Kinda weird because I thought there would be more. Dak? Close, but I'll take Stroud. Lawrence? Nope. Tua? Stop it.

All my opnion of course and with a solid debate have the right to change that opinion.

Just my opinion so please don't be angry. I'm a good person. If I was a GM, QBs id take over Stroud:

Allen. Turnovers? Yep. Elite plays? Yep. Guy can make every throw. Can run. Elite.

Lamar. Different style then the two guys above him, but his skill set is a nightmare to defend.

Burrow. Only red flag is he has missed big chunks of 2 of his 4 seasons. That's it.

Herbert. Don't care if it upsets people. Guy has it. Every tool u desire in a QB. Only red flag has been coaching. Hopefully he gets an upgrade.

Purdy. Yep. After awhile u just can't ignore what he has done. Is he simply in the perfect spot? Maybe. He still has played elite football.

Kinda weird because I thought there would be more. Dak? Close, but I'll take Stroud. Lawrence? Nope. Tua? Stop it.

All my opnion of course and with a solid debate have the right to change that opinion.
I might be crazy but I like Stroud more than Burrow, Herbert and Purdy.

I do too.

I do too.
Interesting. I can see the debate for sure. I could waiver on the Herbert and Purdy ranking. Burrow just has it. Although he has been marvelous and Stroud appears to have it, just can't put him above Burrow. Yet. The debate would be Burrows missed time. That's real. Its his only red flag for me.

I do too.
Interesting. I can see the debate for sure. I could waiver on the Herbert and Purdy ranking. Burrow just has it. Although he has been marvelous and Stroud appears to have it, just can't put him above Burrow. Yet. The debate would be Burrows missed time. That's real. Its his only red flag for me.
Agree. Over Burrow is too much for me. Need to see Stroud continue to do it next year with a new OC. Huge fan though — he’s had one of the best rookie QB seasons ever.

Especially with that rookie contract, I'm taking Stroud over just about everyone but Mahomes.

Especially with that rookie contract, I'm taking Stroud over just about everyone but Mahomes.
Great point. For point of discussion I'm not factoring in contracts. Just players.

Same. And if I’m a GM, personally I’m taking him over Lamar, too.

His team strikes me as having some important pieces in place. Edge, WR. They have some answers at really rough positions to fill

Hes moved into my top 5 NFL QBs:

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Stroud, LJax
From the real life perspective or the dynasty perspective?

I think from a dynasty perspective I'd have him at 2, behind only Allen. (6 pts passing TD) I almost always lean against hype pricing, but man... this one is tough on me. 5 years younger than Lamar, 6 younger than Mahomes. And I think there is still room for growth, not just with him, but with Dell as well, who I think will raise the ceiling on his weekly scoring. Nico is fantastic, but Dell provides the point explosion. I know there is typically regression in 2nd year rookie QBs once defenses have a full season of tape on them, but it's very possible (if not likely) this is as cheap as Stroud will be in dynasty for the foreseeable future.

I think as great as he has looked, some might need to pump the brakes and wait to see if it can be repeated season two. A whole off season for DCs to study game film and the eventual departure of Slowik will prove to be hurdles he will need to overcome. I would bet on his talent and mindset to overcome things, but honestly a drop in play would not be surprising at all. Success in this league can change on you in a heartbeat, so consistency is the goal.

Hes moved into my top 5 NFL QBs:

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Stroud, LJax
From the real life perspective or the dynasty perspective?

I think from a dynasty perspective I'd have him at 2, behind only Allen. (6 pts passing TD) I almost always lean against hype pricing, but man... this one is tough on me. 5 years younger than Lamar, 6 younger than Mahomes. And I think there is still room for growth, not just with him, but with Dell as well, who I think will raise the ceiling on his weekly scoring. Nico is fantastic, but Dell provides the point explosion. I know there is typically regression in 2nd year rookie QBs once defenses have a full season of tape on them, but it's very possible (if not likely) this is as cheap as Stroud will be in dynasty for the foreseeable future.
real life

He doesnt run much so not sure where I would rank him fantasy wise

I think as great as he has looked, some might need to pump the brakes and wait to see if it can be repeated season two. A whole off season for DCs to study game film and the eventual departure of Slowik will prove to be hurdles he will need to overcome. I would bet on his talent and mindset to overcome things, but honestly a drop in play would not be surprising at all. Success in this league can change on you in a heartbeat, so consistency is the goal.
I'm very high on Stroud but I think you're also right. The more teams prepare for him the tougher it is going to get. If he does lose Slowick this offseason who knows how much things can change for C.J. The right OC does wonders for a young QB.

I look at a guy like Shane Steichen and see an OC who made Herbert and Hurts great, just to watch both regress after he left. Now he's on track to do some quality things with Anthony Richardson. Slowik may not be Steichen level, but it keeps me hesitant to say CJ is a top 5 guy without displaying the consistency you mentioned.

Against teams with winning records, Stroud had the 4th highest passer rating in the league, and had 18 touchdowns to 2 interceptions.

A deeper dive, below, into why Stroud had a lower PFF grade than Jordan Love notwithstanding near identical passing stats.

In the MIA-HOU preseason week, Nico Collins was uncoverable in practice. Stroud played a half in preseasom game 2, had midling stats, but was impressive under pressure and showed very good accuracy, per comments in the preseason thread. Sometimes preseason means something. Stroud did have a bad INT in the last preseason game.

Well that’s convenient.

Very convenient.

Sounds like a clown show in terms of operating procedure. Like, who leaked? Who did they trust that information with? And now it's invalid? Wait, what . . . ?
Will be interesting to see which teams if any use this test going forward. Botching Stroud's results and his subsequent fall in the draft should completely invalidate the S2 but NFL HCs and GMs never fail to surprise.

Botching Stroud's results and his subsequent fall in the draft
Fall? He went 2nd lol

Well that was a fall from where he should have gone
Not really. I mean "should" in hindsight, sure. There was as many people who thought Young should go 1 as there was saying Stroud should be.

Not me. I was saying stroud all along.
Thought you might say that. No need to boast, and you're not an NFL GM. He didn't "fall" in the draft because of his test score. C'mon man.

Fall? He went 2nd lol

Not really. I mean "should" in hindsight, sure. There was as many people who thought Young should go 1 as there was saying Stroud should be.

Thought you might say that. No need to boast, and you're not an NFL GM. He didn't "fall" in the draft because of his test score. C'mon man.

Of course I’m not a gm. Not trying to brag but stroud was an insanely good prospect. I’m guessing vast majority of gms had stroud 1.

Fall? He went 2nd lol

Of course I’m not a gm. Not trying to brag but stroud was an insanely good prospect. I’m guessing vast majority of gms had stroud 1.
That is very presumptuous of you.

However, looking back in this thread, I do give you props for calling Stroud the best QB, and it seems like more people thought that then I remembered.

I'd guess it was pretty split at the very least though. And that in no way did his test score cause him to fall down the draft board.

Fall? He went 2nd lol

That is very presumptuous of you.

However, looking back in this thread, I do give you props for calling Stroud the best QB, and it seems like more people thought that then I remembered.

I'd guess it was pretty split at the very least though. And that in no way did his test score cause him to fall down the draft board.

All good. Not like I had young and Richardson as trash. I just really liked stroud. Still think young can be good if given better coaching and talent.

Pseudo-scientific BS imo
In cognitive testing, effort is a major consideration. Some subjects malinger or fake it during assessments (think legal cases). I think Stroud being tired could've been a factor in his low score. Plus, he may not be a good test taker. What the test measures may not be transferable to real world football, TBD. I wouldn't call it pseudoscience without seeing some data. But I'm skeptical that it measures what makes a QB good.

Pseudo-scientific BS imo
In cognitive testing, effort is a major consideration. Some subjects malinger or fake it during assessments (think legal cases). I think Stroud being tired could've been a factor in his low score. Plus, he may not be a good test taker. What the test measures may not be transferable to real world football, TBD. I wouldn't call it pseudoscience without seeing some data. But I'm skeptical that it measures what makes a QB good.
I get it. I do cognitive testing as part of my job with kids. I see kids test below their true potential all the time because of low effort, interest, etc. I am just saying there is absolutely no way this has been tested to show any evidence that it is predictive of anything related to NFL success. It has not been around long enough to get a sample size that matters.

My feeling last spring was Young was the #1 for most. Just the vibe I got. There wasn't any outrage he went #1.

And the S2 leaked number for Stroud fit in perfectly with the narrative that was already out there that Stroud didn't make a lot of crazy off-script plays, he was a game manager with an all star surrounding cast.

I am convinced the S2 guys leaked those numbers on purpose, and unfortunately, the guy that was the poster boy for a bad score just had a historic rookie year. Those guys ran around doing every podcast they could, eating up the attention, I'm guessing they do fewer interviews this year.

My feeling last spring was Young was the #1 for most. Just the vibe I got. There wasn't any outrage he went #1.

And the S2 leaked number for Stroud fit in perfectly with the narrative that was already out there that Stroud didn't make a lot of crazy off-script plays, he was a game manager with an all star surrounding cast.

I am convinced the S2 guys leaked those numbers on purpose, and unfortunately, the guy that was the poster boy for a bad score just had a historic rookie year. Those guys ran around doing every podcast they could, eating up the attention, I'm guessing they do fewer interviews this year.
I think it was pretty split on Young-Stroud. Maybe 60-40 in favor of Young. Young's detractors noted his size and like you said Stroud got the Goff game manager label. Somehow those people failed to watch the National Championship game.

I think it was pretty split on Young-Stroud. Maybe 60-40 in favor of Young. Young's detractors noted his size and like you said Stroud got the Goff game manager label. Somehow those people failed to watch the National Championship game.
Initially I had Stroud over Young based on what I saw in a handful of games (both vs Ga). Frankly I wasn't very impressed with Young but the sheer volume of experts weighing in on how good he was, eventually led me to believe that my sample size was too small. Then when all the interviews came out about how great Young was at processing and how he was impressing the NFL folks I swung into the Young camp. Not sure what to make of any of that moving forward.

Did they really go around on a bunch of podcasts? I read some blurb yesterday saying that their own monitoring software marked his score as potentially invalid.

Did they really go around on a bunch of podcasts? I read some blurb yesterday saying that their own monitoring software marked his score as potentially invalid.
They did.

And last year they said, hey some of those leaked tests aren't accurate.

A year later, they said that test was flagged as potentially being invalid, and here's a bunch of details that tests can be marked invalid because testing conditions weren't good enough, or whatever. They further said, hey the teams want the scores, so we just administer them.

They didn't say ANY of that last year. It was CLEAR what was happening with the narrative around Stroud and Young last year, the leaked scores were a big part of it, and those guys let Stroud dangle, while they ran around, doing interviews about Purdy.

Love this Diggs trade for Houston. I don't understand why more teams don't go all in on getting their most important player the weapons he needs.

Tom Brady left New England because they wouldn't/couldn't.

And Tampa Bay did.

Users who are viewing this thread