What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brock Purdy, SF (1 Viewer)

Purdy seems to be the perfect QB for Shanahans system. Put him on another team and maybe he's not as good, but in this system, on this team, I'm not sure Kyle needs anything more from his QB, and Kyle seems to trust him more than any QB he's had in SF.

What a 7th round find.
Funny, on the NinerNation blog, so many people whining about the 49ers wasting a 7th round pick on a QB :laugh:

With so many QB needy teams, wonder if the Niners will dangle Lance for a trade if he’s back to health. Likely not to happen, but would be something to see Lance, Zach Wilson and Fields all on the move.

With Lance on a rookie contract, I don't see them trying to trade him. There will be a camp battle for starting QB. I imagine they'll sign a cheap vet for extra depth.

Having a cheap QB room is a luxury not many teams (especially competitive teams) have.

Purdy seems to be the perfect QB for Shanahans system. Put him on another team and maybe he's not as good, but in this system, on this team, I'm not sure Kyle needs anything more from his QB, and Kyle seems to trust him more than any QB he's had in SF.

What a 7th round find.
Funny, on the NinerNation blog, so many people whining about the 49ers wasting a 7th round pick on a QB :laugh:
But prior to Purdy, how often has a 7th round pick on a QB panned out?

What a 7th round find.
But prior to Purdy, how often has a 7th round pick on a QB panned out?
Not often, but that's not the point. Complaining that you "wasted" a 7th round pick on a QB was just comical. It's a crapshoot pick regardless

He made some unreal throws last night. He also throws the prettiest slant route in the league. Not entirely sure how he was Mr Irrelevant as he has legit talent. His ability to move in the pocket is also another skill.

He made some unreal throws last night. He also throws the prettiest slant route in the league. Not entirely sure how he was Mr Irrelevant as he has legit talent. His ability to move in the pocket is also another skill.
Guessing because scouts and GMs fall in love with measurables first and foremost.

Cuz he's not big, not fast and doesn't have a big arm so the box checkers downgraded him. Had a very productive career at ISU that Shanny obviously saw something in his skill set that could fit his offense. Have to think outside the box once in a while and dare to be different.

49ers QB TD % under Shanahan (including playoffs)

Purdy: 8.0
Lance: 4.9
Garoppolo: 4.8
Mullens: 4.2
Beathard: 3.6
Hoyer: 2.0

If you’re wondering, Matt Ryan was 5.4. It was just 3.4 in 2015 but then he lead the league at 7.1 in 2016 with a total of 7.4 including playoffs

Guessing because scouts and GMs fall in love with measurables first and foremost.
He has a weird delivery too. It's not pretty.

Like Mahomes, Purdys dad was a baseball pitcher. He spent 8 years in the minors. Mahomes' dad played in the majors for 9 years.

Both Brock and Patrick have the ability to throw from crazy angles which definitely comes from growing up with a baseball background (both Brock and Mahomes played baseball growing up). I've seen Brock throw a few sidearm passes that reminded me of Mahomes. They have similar throwing styles that have baseball roots.

Brock even talks about how baseball has helped him play QB, and that's where he gets some of those throwing angles.

Forward to 3:40 in: https://youtu.be/ehiKhofwd3s

I mean...if Aiyuk catches this, it's a highlight reel for a looooong time.

Amazing play and a damn shame Aiyuk couldn't pull that in. Now just another incompletion.

The end of the play where he fakes the throw and then ducks under the rushing DL to deliver a perfect throw is something you can't teach. If there was any doubt about Purdy before, that should eliminate it. Every criticism I have heard is just nit picking.

I can’t imagine he won’t be the starter next year.
Me either and I've been a big Lance dynasty investor but you don't sit this for a developmental. Said this before but I never worried about Jimmy G coming back next year over Lance but I won't be saying that about Purdy.

Even though I have staunchly been against the notion that Brady is washed I think they prefer Purdy. I think they'd go with Purdy or Lance over trying to resign Jimmy so he's out.

With Lance I think it's more a question of if he's traded or the backup. My guess is traded due to his lack of playing time in his career but they'll want a quality backup.

If Purdy keeps playing at this level, and I'm starting to fall short of reasons he won't, SF is positioned to be a juggernaut the next few seasons. What they'll be able to do with the cap with a QB making hair less then $1M a season is kind of scary, plus if they do move on from Lance that's just more draft capital to work with to build the team up around their million dollar a year QB.

Me either and I've been a big Lance dynasty investor but you don't sit this for a developmental. Said this before but I never worried about Jimmy G coming back next year over Lance but I won't be saying that about Purdy.

Even though I have staunchly been against the notion that Brady is washed I think they prefer Purdy. I think they'd go with Purdy or Lance over trying to resign Jimmy so he's out.

With Lance I think it's more a question of if he's traded or the backup. My guess is traded due to his lack of playing time in his career but they'll want a quality backup.

If Purdy keeps playing at this level, and I'm starting to fall short of reasons he won't, SF is positioned to be a juggernaut the next few seasons. What they'll be able to do with the cap with a QB making hair less then $1M a season is kind of scary, plus if they do move on from Lance that's just more draft capital to work with to build the team up around their million dollar a year QB.
Agree with all but the Lance trade.

Only for the fact that there’s so much ego involved in that front office/Shanny.

Trading 3x 1sts for Lance, then dealing him at a loss just isn’t something I can see the Niners FO doing.

Sure, it’s sunk cost fallacy, but it also makes sense economically to keep Lance as the backup over paying a vet to hold the clipboard.

Plus I have to imagine they’d want to see what one more year of development results in. It might make sense to showcase a healthy Lance in November/December if they get a meaningless game.

It’s speculation, and unscientific at that - I’m just skeptical they admit defeat by moving Lance for a steep loss as some have suggested.

But that’s all just like, my opinion, maaaaan.

Only for the fact that there’s so much ego involved in that front office/Shanny.

Trading 3x 1sts for Lance, then dealing him at a loss just isn’t something I can see the Niners FO doing.

Sure, it’s sunk cost fallacy, but it also makes sense economically to keep Lance as the backup over paying a vet to hold the clipboard.

Plus I have to imagine they’d want to see what one more year of development results in. It might make sense to showcase a healthy Lance in November/December if they get a meaningless game.

It’s speculation, and unscientific at that - I’m just skeptical they admit defeat by moving Lance for a steep loss as some have suggested.

I'm skeptical they admit defeat by naming Purdy the starter next year. I think they should, but I doubt it.

I'm skeptical they admit defeat by naming Purdy the starter next year. I think they should, but I doubt it.
Also true - probably a “competition” in camp.

Unless Purdy wins the SB, in which case no.

I don't think trading Lance would be admitting defeat. He got hurt, they found someone else and the team excelled and now they are in position to recoup some of that investment.

Major reason is I just think all parties will realize that Lance can't afford to sit. Just can't do it, the reality is he may have already sat to long and the damage is done. No one expected this when he was drafted. Kyle has said he was very close to pulling trigger on starting him last year and of course he went down this year. None of this was how it was intended but the result is a QB even after 2 years in the league might be the rawest QB in the league and for sure the least experienced.

Debatable if he'd even be a quality backup if he sits longer. Desaun Watson was a top 5 QB with a lot of experience and he looked by and large terrible. Trey Lance has played about 4 games in the last 3 years, that includes his game against the University of Central Arkansas. He only played 9 games in HS and attempted 99 passes. He really only played in 17 games at a lower level college and attempted 208 passes in his career. He started 4 games in the NFL but early exited one of them and is sitting on 102 pass attempts.

So again looking at how rusty an experienced QB like Watson has looked consider this timeframe I just outlaid goes all the way back to 2016.

Lance has not played but he's had two years to soak in the verbiage. I think they'll have a market especially with the large number of teams who run this offense or versions of it populating the league.

I think they have to strongly consider a Lance trade. If this team has any holes, they could plug them with what Lance could fetch which is probably at least a 1st + something.

Put me in the camp that they don't trade Lance. I agree with @Hot Sauce Guy in that there are just too many egos involved. THey will keep him and he will ride the pine. If Purdy faulters maybe they bring him in. If he doesn't they try and show him off at some point in the future and then trade him. Won't happen this year though...

Lance isn't going anywhere under his rookie contract IMO. A cheap QB room is a luxury not many top tier teams have.

Plus, no team is gonna give anything near a first rounder for a guy who hadn't played in 3 years and hasn't even shown that he can play in this league.

I think we see a QB battle no matter the outcome of this season. Shanahan will play the QB he believes gives them the best chance to win, and he will give Lance a chance to compete for the job. If Lance goes into camp and blows Brock's doors off, he starts.

All that said, I don't think Lance will beat Brock if they compete in camp. Brock just seems light years ahead of Lance at this point.

With so many QB needy teams, wonder if the Niners will dangle Lance for a trade if he’s back to health. Likely not to happen, but would be something to see Lance, Zach Wilson and Fields all on the move.
If I were them, I'd go with Purdy.
What else are they looking for? Isn't he what they wanted?

No doubt egg in their face with Lance or maybe for paying Jimmy G if ya twist it(I wouldn't) but....it's played out how it has and the cream rose to the top. The worst thing they can do is overthink it.

Sooo two young guys in camp one was a seventh round pick and one they gave up three first for- who is the GM generally saying should be getting more reps?

I'd take a page out of Jimmy Johnson's Aikman Walsh playbook and replace them with a great QB room. Give Purdy a longtime veteran or two that loves to watch film and teach.

I don't think trading Lance would be admitting defeat. He got hurt, they found someone else and the team excelled and now they are in position to recoup some of that investment.

Major reason is I just think all parties will realize that Lance can't afford to sit. Just can't do it, the reality is he may have already sat to long and the damage is done. No one expected this when he was drafted. Kyle has said he was very close to pulling trigger on starting him last year and of course he went down this year. None of this was how it was intended but the result is a QB even after 2 years in the league might be the rawest QB in the league and for sure the least experienced.

Debatable if he'd even be a quality backup if he sits longer. Desaun Watson was a top 5 QB with a lot of experience and he looked by and large terrible. Trey Lance has played about 4 games in the last 3 years, that includes his game against the University of Central Arkansas. He only played 9 games in HS and attempted 99 passes. He really only played in 17 games at a lower level college and attempted 208 passes in his career. He started 4 games in the NFL but early exited one of them and is sitting on 102 pass attempts.

So again looking at how rusty an experienced QB like Watson has looked consider this timeframe I just outlaid goes all the way back to 2016.

Lance has not played but he's had two years to soak in the verbiage. I think they'll have a market especially with the large number of teams who run this offense or versions of it populating the league.
In theory I agree with the bolded.

In practice it's just too massive of a loss IMO. I don't see why they would absorb that if it's optional, which it appears to be.

I think they have to strongly consider a Lance trade. If this team has any holes, they could plug them with what Lance could fetch which is probably at least a 1st + something.
I can't see Lance fetching anything close to a 1st+. Trey Lance is a 3rd year guy with no experience, no good tape, and basically 4 years removed from division 2, when he last looked good. He also only has 2 years (plus an option) left on his rookie deal, so why trade for him, when you can just draft a rookie, who has 4-5 years on his rookie deal, and is probably a safer bet as a player. Probably 6 QB's in this draft I'd take over Lance considering everything.

The 49ers are stuck in my opinion, Lance hasn't shown any reason to think he's anything special, and they gave up so much for him, that its hard to trade him at his value (which I'd call a 3rd round pick or so) so the likely scenario is Lance plays a Taysom Hill-like role in Shanahan's ever mismatch creating offense, where Lance sees like 5 snaps a game, most likely around the goal line, or short yardage situations, and is a very affordable backup to Purdy, who I personally think is already a top-10 QB in the NFL.

I can't see Lance fetching anything close to a 1st+. Trey Lance is a 3rd year guy with no experience, no good tape, and basically 4 years removed from division 2, when he last looked good. He also only has 2 years (plus an option) left on his rookie deal, so why trade for him, when you can just draft a rookie, who has 4-5 years on his rookie deal, and is probably a safer bet as a player. Probably 6 QB's in this draft I'd take over Lance considering everything.

The 49ers are stuck in my opinion, Lance hasn't shown any reason to think he's anything special, and they gave up so much for him, that its hard to trade him at his value (which I'd call a 3rd round pick or so) so the likely scenario is Lance plays a Taysom Hill-like role in Shanahan's ever mismatch creating offense, where Lance sees like 5 snaps a game, most likely around the goal line, or short yardage situations, and is a very affordable backup to Purdy, who I personally think is already a top-10 QB in the NFL.
You make good points. I do think there have to be teams that valued him highly pre draft that would have interest if they’re still qb needy. I believe he would be worth a 1st to a team like that, but maybe the market isn’t there as you suggest.

Put me in the camp that they don't trade Lance. I agree with @Hot Sauce Guy in that there are just too many egos involved. THey will keep him and he will ride the pine. If Purdy faulters maybe they bring him in. If he doesn't they try and show him off at some point in the future and then trade him. Won't happen this year though...
I agree that they don't trade him, but don't think it's ego. 49ers haven't been stubborn about moving on from draft picks that haven't worked out, although I don't think Lance falls under the didn't work out category. He's a very young guy with a lot of raw talent. Unless they got a decent pick(s) for him, worth more as a back-up QB in case Purdy got hurt. Honestly, I don't think Purdy falters. Nothing about his game is quirky that the league will catch up to. I'm a believer.

I still like Lance. Very unfortunate for him he got hurt and lost a year of development. 49ers made the decision to draft a guy from a division 2 school with only 1 year as a starter and who had also sat out the year. If they truly expected him to contibute as a rookie, that would concern me more than Lance not ending up as at least an average NFL starter.

Seems pretty consistent in this thread that people believe Lance hasn't shown anything and potentially has been off too long now to really develop.

Purdy saves the GM/Coach a little bit because if Lance didn't work out and they had to go back to the drawing board - lots of egg on the face.

I traded away Lance/Javonte/a mid ‘23 1st for Hurts near the trade deadline in a SF league where I was buggered at QB and not making the playoffs.

All I can say is I wouldn’t like to be the other guy right now. Purdy has come out of absolutely nowhere and is playing so well it’s at the very least going to be a camp battle.

Sometimes there’s just no way to evaluate a lot of the intangibles required to be a successful NFL QB in a prospect until they just get thrown in there

Trey Lance signed a 4 year, $34,105,275 contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including a $22,163,836 signing bonus, $34,105,275 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,526,319. In 2023, Lance will earn a base salary of $3,760,480, while carrying a cap hit of $9,301,439 and a dead cap value of $20,153,117.

YEAR AGEBASE SALARYSIGNINGCAP HITDEAD CAPYEARLY CASH
2021sf.png21$660,000$5,540,959$6,200,959$34,105,275$22,823,836($22,823,836)
2022sf.png22$2,210,240$5,540,959$7,751,199$27,904,316$2,210,240($25,034,076)
2023sf.png23$3,760,480$5,540,959$9,301,439$20,153,117$3,760,480($28,794,556)
2024sf.png24$5,310,719$5,540,959$10,851,678$10,851,678$5,310,719($34,105,275)
2025sf.png25-----
2026sf.png26UFA

Brock Purdy attempted 10 passes of 20+ yards downfield vs. Seattle (4-10, 110 yards + Aiyuk TD drop). Purdy's previous high was 5 vs. Raiders.

10 deep attempts is the most in a game for any 49ers QB since Colin Kaepernick had 10 vs. New Orleans in 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread