What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brian Hoyer, LV (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Free agent Brian Hoyer "doesn't know if he'll hit open market" and is open to returning to the Browns.
Hoyer said he would consider re-signing if given a chance to start. He also recently met with OC John DeFilippo and "came away impressed." With Johnny Manziel in rehab, Hoyer's chances of returning have increased. ESPN Cleveland puts his odds of re-signing at 51 percent.

Source: Scott Petrak on Twitter
Feb 7 - 2:49 PM

Rotoworld:

The Browns have yet to meet with free agent Brian Hoyer, and have begun "sniffing around" free agent Josh McCown.
Per ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi, the Browns and Hoyer have begun "drifting apart." McCown would be a downgrade from Hoyer, and going to Cleveland almost certainly wouldn't be McCown's first choice. Even for as limited a talent as Hoyer is, he would still be the Browns' best quarterback option for 2015.

Source: ESPN Cleveland
Feb 18 - 1:13 PM

Rotoworld:

Brian Hoyer - QB - Browns

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the 49ers and Vikings have expressed interest in free agent Brian Hoyer.

Hoyer wants to go somewhere he'd have a chance to compete for the starting job. It wouldn't happen in either Minnesota or San Francisco, but we highly doubt there are more than 1-2 teams willing to give Hoyer a shot as a starter. He proved last season as a turnover-prone "game manager" that he's a backup.

Related: Vikings, 49ers

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Mar 8 - 11:17 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the 49ers and Vikings have expressed interest in free agent Brian Hoyer.

Hoyer wants to go somewhere he'd have a chance to compete for the starting job. It wouldn't happen in either Minnesota or San Francisco, but we highly doubt there are more than 1-2 teams willing to give Hoyer a shot as a starter. He proved last season as a turnover-prone "game manager" that he's a backup.

i think he'll end up somewhere he has at least some chance to start.

Rotoworld:

i think he'll end up somewhere he has at least some chance to start.
Come to Nashville Mr. Hoyer

I like him. Dude, Cleveland was a Manziel led train wreck last year. Chaos. I find him to be gritty and quite frankly, I think he can play. A change of scenery and even a modicum of normalcy on his new team can be huge for Hoyer. I hope he goes into a good situation and gets a shot to play. I'm rooting for him

I like him. Dude, Cleveland was a Manziel led train wreck last year. Chaos. I find him to be gritty and quite frankly, I think he can play. A change of scenery and even a modicum of normalcy on his new team can be huge for Hoyer. I hope he goes into a good situation and gets a shot to play. I'm rooting for him
Glwt

He was benched because he sucked, for approx 2 months worth of games.

GlwtHe was benched because he sucked, for approx 2 months worth of games.
That offense was a train wreck. Might be partly his fault but not many QBs could have succeeded there.

Glwt

Dude, I'm not saying he looked great all year in 2014. But c'mon, the team was a mess and it was a very tough situation for Hoyer. And yes, he did look like crap a bunch last year, but he also looked good. Better environment, a fresh start and noo zoo and I think he can succeed. You disagree. I get it. That's what makes life interesting.

Glwt

Dude, I'm not saying he looked great all year in 2014. But c'mon, the team was a mess and it was a very tough situation for Hoyer. And yes, he did look like crap a bunch last year, but he also looked good. Better environment, a fresh start and noo zoo and I think he can succeed. You disagree. I get it. That's what makes life interesting.
Great intangible guy, but his ability to actually throw the football with consistent accuracy seem lacking.

Jets interested.
Rotoworld take:

The Jets have "inquired about" free agent Brian Hoyer.
The Jets are seeking a veteran to push Geno Smith. Hoyer's market has heated up a bit recently, with the 49ers, Vikings, and Texans all showing varying levels of interest. We would expect Geno to beat out Hoyer in a true training camp battle. Smith's skill set is a better fit for Chan Gailey's spread.

Related: Jets

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter
Mar 8 - 7:05 PM

Rotoworld:

The Texans are trying to sign both Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett.
Both have a history with Texans coach Bill O'Brien from New England. They would presumably wage a three-way training camp battle against 2014 fourth-round pick Tom Savage, with Ryan Fitzpatrick getting released. Neither Hoyer nor Mallett has generated much interest elsewhere. Signing both is realistic.

Related: Texans

Source: John McClain on Twitter
Mar 8 - 11:15 PM

Rotoworld:

The Texans have reached a deal with Brian Hoyer, according to NBC4's Dianna Marie Russini.

Aside from maybe the Jets or Bills, no team was more desperate for a quarterback than the Texans. Hoyer certainly isn't a game-changer, but he's about the best Houston could do in a thin quarterback market and he knows Bill O'Brien from their Patriot days. It's still likely the Texans will bring back free agent Ryan Mallett and let him compete for the starting gig.

Meanwhile, ESPN's Adam Caplan said on Twitter the Jets are still making a late push for Hoyer, but Russini is usually spot on with her reporting. We'd expect a formal announcement of Hoyer to the Texans soon.

Related: Texans

Source: Dianna Marie Russini on Twitter

Mar 9 - 8:52 AM

Rotoworld:

PFT's Mike Florio reports free agent Brian Hoyer will meet again with the Jets on Monday night.

There have been reports that Hoyer has a deal in place with the Texans, but as we learned with the Eagles and Frank Gore, nothing is set in stone until Tuesday afternoon when players are allowed to sign the dotted line. The Jets and Hoyer have remained in contact throughout Monday and could still work out a deal.

Related: Texans, Jets

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports
Mar 9 - 8:54 PM

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain expects Brian Hoyer to be the Texans' Week 1 starting quarterback.

McClain is one of the longest-tenured writers on the Texans beat, and on any NFL beat for that matter. McClain calls Hoyer "such a natural" in coach Bill O'Brien's system, which gives the quarterback "a lot of freedom at the line." It doesn't say much for Ryan Mallett that Hoyer stands a good chance of beating him out. McClain says Hoyer has been "smooth, smart, and accurate" in practice, and "looks like he's been in the system for years."

Jun 16 - 3:38 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein suggests the Texans' quarterback battle "might be over sooner than you think."

A Houston-area media member, Zierlein is convinced Brian Hoyer will be the Week 1 starter. Zierlein later cited Ryan Mallett's lack of accuracy as his likely downfall. Texans fans are oddly obsessed with Mallett getting the nod, but Mallett has been outplayed by Hoyer since the early spring, and was traded away by Bill Belichick for a conditional seventh-round pick last year. We still anticipate both sub-par quarterbacks making 2015 starts.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Aug 1 - 8:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Brian Hoyer will start the Texans preseason opener.

Hoyer and Ryan Mallett are listed as co-starters on Houston's depth chart. It's a sign the Texans are higher on Hoyer, though the decision could be out of veteran deference. Most Texans beat writers consider Hoyer the favorite to start Week 1.

Related: Ryan Mallett

Aug 15 - 6:56 PM

How does Hoyer being named the starter affect Hopkins? Have they shown good chemistry?
if I'm not mistaken I don't think hoyer had any problem staring down josh gordon and force feeding him the ball. granted not sure where Hopkins skill set is compared to josh and the Texans scheme but throwing it out there.

How does Hoyer being named the starter affect Hopkins? Have they shown good chemistry?
if I'm not mistaken I don't think hoyer had any problem staring down josh gordon and force feeding him the ball. granted not sure where Hopkins skill set is compared to josh and the Texans scheme but throwing it out there.
I've found Hopkins to be a hot N cold WR and been impatiently waiting for him to become consistent. I assume the Texans are demanding that happen now so I'm hopeful.

He's a beast when he's "in the zone" but one of those "why did you tip that? catch it!" type guys when he's not. I agree with your point and think he'll have no trouble force-feeding him when he's hot, but I'm curious how Hoyer will react if he tips a couple INTs to the DB.

My problem with the Texans is they've had an underperforming 2nd WR and QB since day one and still have that issue. The expansion Browns haven't been all that different since KJ and Couch so I sadly expect the same even though Hoyer is in Houston now.

Rotoworld:

Brian Hoyer - QB - Texans

The Texans benched Brian Hoyer in favor of Ryan Mallett with 6:10 left in the fourth quarter of their Week 1 loss to Kansas City.

There's probably already a quarterback controversy in Houston. Hoyer went 18-of-34 passing for 244 yards, one touchdown, one interception, and a fumble lost in about three and a half quarters of work. The Texans were down 27-9 when Mallett entered the game. The Texans have to be a run-committed, ball-control team that doesn't turn the football over in order to succeed. Hoyer failed to manage Sunday's game effectively, also absorbing four sacks and failing to move the offense. It's possible Mallett will get the starting nod in Week 2 at Carolina.

Sep 13 - 3:49 PM

FBGs projecting 300 yards from Hoyer against JAX this week? HUH? The Bucs ran all over the Jags last week and didn't really need to throw much. Why wouldn't we expect HOU to do the same this week?

I guess if JAX LB Paul Posluszny plays this week, that favors less running and maybe more passing, but 300 yards from Hoyer? Anyone taking a chance on Hoyer this week?

I might. With Alex smith as my QB while big ben is out, I like hoyer vs the jags more than I do Smith vs Minny. Not 100% yet, but the guy is not afraid to throw and he is keeping Foster and Hopkins fed.

LOL. They fixed their projections, dropping from QB7 (iirc) to QB31. That makes much more sense. I hope nobody picked him up based on their original projections.

Rotoworld:

At his Monday presser, coach Bill O'Brien confirmed Brian Hoyer will remain the Texans' starting quarterback going forward.

"We're going to stick with him," said O'Brien, who opened the season playing musical chairs at quarterback. Hoyer has very-clearly proven a superior option to Ryan Mallett, completing 63.4 percent of his throws this season with an impressive 8.2 YPA and 8:2 TD-to-INT ratio. The fact that Hoyer has established himself over Mallett is good news for Nuk Hopkins and Cecil Shorts.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Oct 19 - 3:50 PM

With Taylor potentially out and then on bye, thinking of streaming him for the next couple weeks. Close between him and McCown -- they've both produced fairly consistently all year -- but Hoyer has easier match-ups and better weapons.

FBGs projecting 300 yards from Hoyer against JAX this week? HUH? The Bucs ran all over the Jags last week and didn't really need to throw much. Why wouldn't we expect HOU to do the same this week?

I guess if JAX LB Paul Posluszny plays this week, that favors less running and maybe more passing, but 300 yards from Hoyer? Anyone taking a chance on Hoyer this week?
LOL. They fixed their projections, dropping from QB7 (iirc) to QB31. That makes much more sense. I hope nobody picked him up based on their original projections.
Whew dodged a bullet there eh. He only threw for 293 and 3 TDs, QB6 in 4 pt passing TD leagues.

;)

I kid, I kid. This is not an easy guy to have faith in.

I'm another Taylor owner picking him up. Schedule is easy.

Whew dodged a bullet there eh. He only threw for 293 and 3 TDs, QB6 in 4 pt passing TD leagues.

;)

Big question for this week is whether the Miami D from the Tenn game shows up on Sunday. If so, Wake and Suh could make his life miserable. Still, it's not as bad a matchup as McCown vs STL.

;)

Big question for this week is whether the Miami D from the Tenn game shows up on Sunday. If so, Wake and Suh could make his life miserable. Still, it's not as bad a matchup as McCown vs STL.
Did Suh do anything Sunday? I see he had a couple knock downs but he hasn't been nearly as effective in the new system.

Regardless, not using Hoyer this week. I need him Week 8, which should be a neutral to favorable matchup at home v. the Titans.

I rode McCown for 3-4 games 2 years ago when he had that phenomenal run. Wouldn't want him this year, there's not much letup in their tough schedule ROS. Hoyer has more weapons at his disposal.

;)

I knew somebody was going to (correctly) call me out on that. Oops! :bag:

What are you guys expecting from Houston's offense @MIA this week? Another good day passing for Hoyer, or just a lot of Arian Foster ground game?

Had this guy rostered but dropped him to pickup Alex Smith for a week bye filler (London blowout of the Lions - perfect.) Immediately dropped Smith to alternate BB & TT. That hasn't gone as planned the last two weeks.

Thinking about dropping the fading Taylor to pickup Hoyer. That would give me two volume guys with decent ROS schedules.

Users who are viewing this thread