What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brett Hundley, IND (1 Viewer)

Faust said:
The passing numbers are going to lie to you on this one. Hundley looked bad. Their 3rd down percentage was atrocious, and the only passing plays that were working for UCLA were little bootlegs and WR screens. And despite those plays working all day, they got away from them in short yardage situations, resulting in a handfull of field goals instead of TDs, as well as at least one 4th and 1 fail (when the defense wasn't even set yet!). The bright spots here were Paul Perkins at RB and the WR corps for UCLA, all of which had huge yards after contact. Hundley's big plays of this game were all made by the receivers, not by his passes, and Hundley's fumbles were awful (one by running into his own man). His interception was a bad pass which - had it been on target - would have resulted in a big gain for 1st down, but instead was thrown behind the receiver right into the arms of the trailing defender. One bright spot here: Hundley got rid of the ball faster and took fewer sacks, but that may be more the result of Cal's defensive plan than Hundley's growth.

Rotoworld:

Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke ranks UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley No. 37 overall on his big board.

It's always nice to meet like-minded individuals. We've been low on Hundley for the better part of two seasons, though we'll concede it's difficult to grade a toolsy QB playing behind a shoddy offensive line. Is skittishness in the face of pressure Hundley's nature? Or is it a result of circumstance, a bad habit that can be coached out of him at the next level? Nobody can be sure, but we can tell you that we wouldn't invest the type of pick that will be required to find out. Neither would Burke. "It has been a much slower progression for Hundley than really anyone had hoped," he wrote. "The dual-threat abilities for the 6-3, 227-pound QB are undeniable. So, too, are the issues Hundley shows in sensing approaching trouble. If he heads to the NFL after this season, a QB-needy team will call his name within the first couple rounds. How long before he's ready for a starting gig?"

Source: Sports Illustrated
Oct 22 - 1:29 AM

The passing numbers are going to lie to you on this one. Hundley looked bad. Their 3rd down percentage was atrocious, and the only passing plays that were working for UCLA were little bootlegs and WR screens. And despite those plays working all day, they got away from them in short yardage situations, resulting in a handfull of field goals instead of TDs, as well as at least one 4th and 1 fail (when the defense wasn't even set yet!). The bright spots here were Paul Perkins at RB and the WR corps for UCLA, all of which had huge yards after contact. Hundley's big plays of this game were all made by the receivers, not by his passes, and Hundley's fumbles were awful (one by running into his own man). His interception was a bad pass which - had it been on target - would have resulted in a big gain for 1st down, but instead was thrown behind the receiver right into the arms of the trailing defender. One bright spot here: Hundley got rid of the ball faster and took fewer sacks, but that may be more the result of Cal's defensive plan than Hundley's growth.
Although for the Cal game I wasn't watching as close and I have my own criticism of Hundley as a passer, our receivers just don't seem to get open. Payton disappears from games, I expected him to be a much bigger playmaker. At this point I'll settle for him getting aggressive against defenders and taking offensive penalties. Massington has looked pretty good and it feels like he's had more big plays than Payton, which I'm sure is not true and can't be true if the Bruins want to win games. I have now been convinced by the Trojan fans in my office that Hundley is no longer playing to win and playing for the scouts, can't say I disagree.

Although for the Cal game I wasn't watching as close and I have my own criticism of Hundley as a passer, our receivers just don't seem to get open. Payton disappears from games, I expected him to be a much bigger playmaker. At this point I'll settle for him getting aggressive against defenders and taking offensive penalties. Massington has looked pretty good and it feels like he's had more big plays than Payton, which I'm sure is not true and can't be true if the Bruins want to win games. I have now been convinced by the Trojan fans in my office that Hundley is no longer playing to win and playing for the scouts, can't say I disagree.
I don't know if you go to the games or not, but the receivers get open. It's difficult to see on TV, but there are very few plays in which at least one, if not multiple, receivers are not wide open. I love Hundley, but he has the worst vision for a future NFL QB I have ever seen.

And, while the OL has been terrible for most of his time at UCLA, he really doesn't help his cause. Most of the sacks he took against Utah and Oregon were a result of him simply holding the ball forever. Against Oregon, I just started counting from when the ball was snapped until he either threw it or got pressured and he almost always had 3 seconds to get rid of the ball and usually 4-5. Just awful.

He's a great kid and hard worker, but I don't think I'd burn a first or second round pick on him if I was an NFL GM.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's just awful. Seriously. He had tunnel vision. He's mobile, but doesn't run away from pressure.

I agree 100%. Someone told him scouts wanted to see him in the pocket, so he's just standing there as long as possible. The kid needs to get back to his own game or to do some serious, SERIOUS pocket practice. He has no feel for it at all.

That being said, he could totally be starting for the Jets next season.

I agree 100%. Someone told him scouts wanted to see him in the pocket, so he's just standing there as long as possible. The kid needs to get back to his own game or to do some serious, SERIOUS pocket practice. He has no feel for it at all.

That being said, he could totally be starting for the Jets next season.
I agree with your overall assessment, but I don't think he's just standing there as long as possible. He's late in getting rid of the ball to open receivers (if he even does get rid of the ball) and then he bails out of the pocket (or runs into a sack) when he doesn't need to.

Against Colorado, he had plenty of time, and he'd still bail just because he got antsy in the pocket. He was either missing open receivers or, as has become his MO, simply not throwing it to open receivers.

And, he's not doing himself any favors when he does get pressured. He's not moving to daylight.

I agree, though, that he lacks feel for the pocket. Like I said above, he has the worst vision for a QB that I can recall and he has terrible feel for the pocket.

He's a very good athlete that has, save for vision, all the physical attributes you'd want in a QB. Unfortunately, that's not enough to be a successful QB in the NFL.

Rotoworld:

Brett Hundley - QB - Bruins

UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley completed 19 of 26 attempts for 189 yards and one touchdown in the school's 17-7 win over Arizona.

Hundley did most of his damage on the ground, rushing for 131 yards on 24 carries. In fact, the quarterback commented that he was too focused on winning from the pocket early in the season to improve his NFL evaluation. That did not work, so now he has reverted back to picking up yards with his feet. In many cases, it can be a positive at the college level. But for his development in terms of eye level against pressure, it will not help.

Nov 2 - 9:45 AM

Rotoworld:

UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley admitted to altering his play early in the season "because of pressure to improve as a passer" for NFL evaluators.

In the win against Arizona, Hundley decided to drop his eyes even more frequently and leave the pocket quickly to pick up yards with his feet. Earlier in the season he would attempt to handle pressure in the pocket and find receivers open downfield. Consistently dropping your eyes and picking up yards on the ground works at the college level, but in order for a quarterback to sustain success in the NFL, they must win from the pocket against pressure. Hundley has not shown this on a week to week basis.

Source: Ryan Kartje on Twitter
Nov 3 - 10:22 AM

He's not ready for the NFL, but I don't think college will do him much good, either. He knows his problem, but keeps doing it. He doesn't see the field at all and that's not something he's going to fix in one more season of college.

If a team is willing to treat him with kid's gloves and give him a couple of years to work on his issues (dropping his eyes in the face of pressure or when he thinks he's going to be pressured even if there is no pressure along with his inability to see the field), I think he'd have a chance. Working at his craft part-time in college is not going to help him. He needs to work on his weaknesses full-time if he's going to fix them. He won't be able to do that at UCLA.

He's a perfect candidate to leave now, get selected in the 2nd or 3rd round and possibly flourish in a few years after sitting behind a Brady, Brees, etc.

And there it is, he was too focused on the scouts. GDogg's assessment of Hundley I think is spot on so far, he has the physical skills to be a good pocket passer but lack that pocket awareness. I'm not sure if that's something you can develop, the greats in the game I think had it long before hitting the pros. So he could have continued to be good at what he is, a really really good option QB, and win us a whole bunch of good games in the wide open competition of the Pac12. Instead he decided to try and show he can stand in the pocket and ended up proving he really can't. Poor sap.

USC is playing great right now, hopefully Brett can win that game which should win us the South and redeem himself against the Ducks in the Pac12 Championship game. A part of me wants to see a Pac12 team in the final 4 though so I won't be too sad if this plays out and Oregon wins a close one against the Bruins.

He's not ready for the NFL, but I don't think college will do him much good, either. He knows his problem, but keeps doing it. He doesn't see the field at all and that's not something he's going to fix in one more season of college.

If a team is willing to treat him with kid's gloves and give him a couple of years to work on his issues (dropping his eyes in the face of pressure or when he thinks he's going to be pressured even if there is no pressure along with his inability to see the field), I think he'd have a chance. Working at his craft part-time in college is not going to help him. He needs to work on his weaknesses full-time if he's going to fix them. He won't be able to do that at UCLA.

He's a perfect candidate to leave now, get selected in the 2nd or 3rd round and possibly flourish in a few years after sitting behind a Brady, Brees, etc.
He can go to Houston and play right away. You can't get worse than Fitzpatrick.

Rotoworld:

UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley completed 29 of 26 attempts for 302 yards and two touchdowns in the school's 44-30 win over Washington.

He added two more touchdowns on the ground. Hundley recently acknowledged his early season struggles were caused by an attempt to please NFL evaluators. The quarterback attempted to stay in the pocket and work through multiple reads, something he just was not comfortable with. Now, Hundley is making the short to intermediate throws and running with the ball instead of looking downfield. It is a recipe for winning at the college level, but we doubt it will sustain success in the NFL.

Nov 9 - 12:45 PM

Rotoworld:

UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley was compared by an area scout to former Jaguar David Garrard.
"I feel bad for him, because everyone hyped him up so much in the preseason, it was like he had to play at a (Marcus) Mariota-type level or he'd be a failure," the AFC area scout told NFL.com. Site columnist Albert Breer notes on-field improvement for Hundley, but doesn't believe it will be enough to get him into Round 1 or 2 in the spring. "He has very good size and athletic ability, but he struggles reading things and throwing with accuracy," an AFC scouting director said. Hundley has a crucial matchup this Saturday, taking on USC's pro-style defense.

Source: NFL.com
Nov 21 - 4:22 PM

Rotoworld:

Three NFL scouts expressed their reservations with QB Brett Hundley's professional projection.
"We need to see better accuracy from him, especially throwing from the pocket," scout No. 1 said. "He tends to hold on to the ball too long, and he's not as quick going through his progression as he should be at this stage of his career. … I think he relies on his feet at times to bail him out." Scout No. 2 questioned if sitting behind an NFL starter during his first year would be more beneficial than returning to UCLA for one more season. Scout No. 3 praised Hundley's dual-threat capabilities and placed him in the late first- to second-round range.

Source: LA Times
Nov 21 - 9:24 AM

Rotoworld:

Three NFL scouts expressed their reservations with QB Brett Hundley's professional projection.
"We need to see better accuracy from him, especially throwing from the pocket," scout No. 1 said. "He tends to hold on to the ball too long, and he's not as quick going through his progression as he should be at this stage of his career. … I think he relies on his feet at times to bail him out." Scout No. 2 questioned if sitting behind an NFL starter during his first year would be more beneficial than returning to UCLA for one more season. Scout No. 3 praised Hundley's dual-threat capabilities and placed him in the late first- to second-round range.

And some people still think these guys are all talent evaluation gurus. Probably a scout for the Raiders or Redskins or Jets. I already can tell that this guy is garbage at the NFL level.

Rotoworld:

And some people still think these guys are all talent evaluation gurus. Probably a scout for the Raiders or Redskins or Jets. I already can tell that this guy is garbage at the NFL level.
I dunno. He's got the highest completion percentage in the NCAA according to the announcers for the UCLA vs. USC game, and he just passed Cade McNown's yardage record (which is the UCLA all time yardage record) tonight. Keep in mind, Cade played 4 years, and Hundly still has at least one game to go in his 3rd year. Yes, he holds the ball too long (although he didn't do that tonight), yes he is lacking a feel for the pocket, yes he makes a lot of high percentage dumpoff passes, but he also makes the big play deep ball passes with near perfect accuracy, almost always hitting his man in stride. He passes his receivers open, and he sells play-action like a boss.

FWIW, I agree with scout #2 from the LA Times article. Hundley should go pro and he would benefit greatly from sitting on the bench behind a vet.

All things being equal, I believe his NFL success will live or die with the strength of his O Line. Let's all hope he doesn't go to Tampa.

Rotoworld:

UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley completed 22 of 31 attempts for 326 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in the school's 38-20 win over USC.
He added another rushing touchdown. The box score looks outstanding, but anyone who watched the game could see it was fabricated from a passing standpoint thanks to broken coverages. We saw Hundley make one or two positive plays, in terms of sticking to the pocket and looking downfield. However, a respectable touchdown throw was made to a wide open receiver in the middle of the field with zero pressure up front and a large portion of the passing yards were created after the catch by receivers. All in all, this game showed us nothing we do not already know.

Nov 23 - 10:49 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that it's "all starting to click" for UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley.

Hundley completed 22-of-31 attempts for 326 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in Saturday's 38-20 win over USC. Despite the gaudy stats, which included a rushing score, we weren't impressed by his performance, aided greatly by repeated foibles of USC's secondary. Pro Football Focus agreed, giving Hundley a -2.4 grade for the performance. Even still, there's no denying Hundley's Major League tools.

Source: Todd McShay on Twitter
Nov 24 - 11:29 PM

Rotoworld:

Like I've mentioned before, Hundley could play for Houston right now and he'd be better than Fitzpatrick or Mallet.

Rotoworld:

UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley was named by ESPN's Todd McShay as the draft's biggest QB faller this season.
"He hasn't regressed; he just hasn't progressed as much as I expected, even considering the strong showing against USC this past Saturday," McShay wrote. "Hundley still has ideal size (6-3, 226), mobility and arm strength, and the junior is making plays with his feet again (444 rush yards/6 TDs in past six games versus 122/2 in first five). But instead of a first-rounder, he's now seen as a developmental QB who must improve accuracy, decision-making and pocket presence to be a starter." We remain pessimistic about Hundley's pro prospects. He's highly mobile and effective in the short-to-intermediate passing game. A winning collegiate formula, yes, but he often ignores downfield receivers because his eyes have dropped under pressure. That isn't a winning pro formula.

Source: ESPN Insider
Nov 27 - 2:22 PM

He is what he is. Shouldn't be a first round pick, but maybe someone will get desperate.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler notes that after "talking to scouts around the league, most see" UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley "as a second-round type of player."

"Talking to scouts around the league, most see Hundley as a second-round type of player. But his natural tools are so appealing that it wouldn't be a surprise to see him land in the first round," Brugler wrote. Many evaluators have suggested Hundley return to school for one more year to refine his skills in the pocket. Hundley has consistently dropped his eyes when forced off his spot in the face of pressure. Brugler adds that Hundley "will likely be an attractive player after Mariota and Winston, assuming both declare, are off the board."

Source: CBS Sports

Dec 11 - 2:13 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Charles Davis writes that there are "still concerns about [uCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley's] pocket presence and he could really boost his stock with another year of seasoning."

"Around midseason, I thought coming back to UCLA for another season could be the best thing in the world for Hundley," Davis wrote. "Now, he improved his play, starting with the Oregon game, but I still feel he'd benefit from returning for another season with the Bruins." If we were advising the 6-foot-3, 227-pound Hundley, we'd implore him to return to school. His weaknesses, such as dropping his eyes under pressure and discomfort in the pocket, will be particularly pronounced in the pros. "There's plenty left for him to accomplish in college," Davis wrote. "No doubt, though, he's a great talent." Of course, Bruins HC Jim Mora has already announced Hundley will leave school after it plays in the Alamo Bowl against Kansas State.

Dec 18 - 10:10 AM

Rotoworld:

NFL scouts will scrutinize UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley's performance in the Alamo Bowl against Kansas State, wrote CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

Evaluators may be more interested in Hundley's matchup than in any other individual prospect's. NFL.com recently ranked Hundley as the No. 1 prospect with the "most on line" during the bowl season. "The UCLA passer has the prototypical physical skill-set for the NFL with his size, athleticism and arm talent, but his inconsistencies reading defenses and handling pressure are two innate deficiencies that make some believe he's a future bust," Brugler wrote. "Facing the Wildcats' defense will be the final true test in a game setting for Hundley to show scouts improvements in those trouble areas." This, of course, will be Hundley's last collegiate game, as UCLA HC Jim Mora has confirmed Hundley will make himself available for the 2015 NFL draft.

Dec 17 - 10:56 PM

Rotoworld:

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline graded UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley as a Rds. 2-3 prospect.

We more or less agree with this assessment, though Hundley is a near-lock to go higher than this. We would strongly caution a franchise against using a first-rounder on Hundley. The prospect has a nice arm and good athleticism, but both strengths are greatly mitigated when he's harassed by pass rushers. At that point, Hundley's athleticism, which should be helping him evade defenders as he locates an open receiver, is merely used to escape physical danger in the form of running away. Once his eyes are down, they stay permanently down, which lops the value off of that right arm. CBS ranks Hundley as the No. 43 overall prospect, but the site's draft team thinks he could go higher due to his potential and the lack of depth to the QB class.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

Jan 9 - 3:03 PM

Hundley would be perfect for the Titans if they trade up a couple spots to the 1st (what the Vikings did for Bridgewater).

Hundley would be perfect for the Titans if they trade up a couple spots to the 1st (what the Vikings did for Bridgewater).
Except Teddy was a top 10 prospect all season, according to his tape and accomplishments. Then he had a couple bad pro days. Hundley would need to have stellar pro days to be worthy a 1st.

Except Teddy was a top 10 prospect all season, according to his tape and accomplishments. Then he had a couple bad pro days.Hundley would need to have stellar pro days to be worthy a 1st.
Hundley is not quite as good passing as Bridgewater, but he's very under-rated when you factor in his running ability.

ETA: I have Hundley ranked as the #2 QB in the draft, ahead of Winston (factoring in character).

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler reports that NFL scouts he polled say UCLA redshirt junior QB Brett Hundley will go between Rds. 2-5.

"However, some also think he could sneak into that first round because of the raw tools," Brugler wrote. "He doesn't appear in this updated mock draft, but the Houston Texans at No. 16, Philadelphia Eagles at No. 20 or the Dallas Cowboys at No. 27 are three possibilities that can't be ruled out." And what of those raw tools? Hundley rocks a pistol and drives a Lambo, but he holsters at the sound of footsteps and kicks the gas pedal with the sun visor down, oblivious to receivers on the horizon. He cooks from the same recipe as a coterie of busts. That doesn't make Hundley undraftable -- the tools are for real -- but he's not a worthwhile investment on Day 1.

Jan 12 - 10:27 PM

Rotoworld:

One AFC personnel director told NFL Media UCLA QB Brett Hundley "scares me."

NFL Media also spoke with an NFC scout who said Hundley could have solidified his second-round status in Mobile and the quarterback "should have shown up." Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage mentioned Hundley as a prospect teams need to look into a bit more as to why he did not attend the event. Rotoworld's Josh Norris continues to say Hundley is not locked in as the third quarterback in this class.

Jan 21 - 1:34 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that "the fact that [uCLA QB Brett Hundley] turned down the chance to participate in the practices and game this week qualifies as a big missed opportunity for him."

Event organizer and former Browns general manager Phil Savage revealed to the media that Hundley was amongst a small group of players who declined his invite by not communicating whether or not he would attend. This behavior has gotten Hundley, ahem, savaged by pundits. "FSU QB Jameis Winston and Mariota are the No. 2 and No. 6 prospects on our board, respectively, but there is a big drop-off after them in this year's quarterback class," McShay wrote. "The battle to be the third-best QB is wide open, and a strong performance this week could have helped Hundley move up draft boards. Moreover, this would have been a good showcase for Hundley. He has good size for the position and good athleticism and arm strength, and he is an accurate passer when throwing to his first read, so he would have likely done well in the one-on-one passing drills in Mobile this week."

Jan 21 - 8:15 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that "the fact that [uCLA QB Brett Hundley] turned down the chance to participate in the practices and game this week qualifies as a big missed opportunity for him."

Event organizer and former Browns general manager Phil Savage revealed to the media that Hundley was amongst a small group of players who declined his invite by not communicating whether or not he would attend. This behavior has gotten Hundley, ahem, savaged by pundits. "FSU QB Jameis Winston and Mariota are the No. 2 and No. 6 prospects on our board, respectively, but there is a big drop-off after them in this year's quarterback class," McShay wrote. "The battle to be the third-best QB is wide open, and a strong performance this week could have helped Hundley move up draft boards. Moreover, this would have been a good showcase for Hundley. He has good size for the position and good athleticism and arm strength, and he is an accurate passer when throwing to his first read, so he would have likely done well in the one-on-one passing drills in Mobile this week."

Jan 21 - 8:15 PM
Sure, but it also could have moved him way down. He isn't going much higher so he's better off working on his Pro Day.

Users who are viewing this thread