What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

I’m struggling to figure out what is even happening here… A cryptic a tweet, some interest by the Browns in Deshaun Watson, then all of a sudden people are speculating on where he’s going to play next year?

has the team even said one word about trading him?

Its just so bizarre. 
It seemed he was saying goodbye to Cleveland in that tweet. Maybe it's nothing but it seemed like he knows the Browns are moving on - one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seemed he was saying goodbye to Cleveland in that tweet. Maybe it's nothing but it seemed like he knows the Browns are moving on - one way or another.
I got that part. I just don’t see anything substantial from the Browns that validates it in any way. I guess if they trade, we will find out.

Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports the Seahawks and Colts would be "attractive" options for Baker Mayfield. 

Wilson quoted a league source connecting the dots between Mayfield, whose time with the Browns seems to be over, with two teams desperate for a viable starting quarterback. Meanwhile, The Athletic's Zac Jackson believes the Browns meeting with Deshaun Watson this week is "a strong sign that they’re willing to close the door on the Mayfield era." Jackson added that the Browns might part ways with Mayfield even if they can't pull off a trade for Watson. Mayfield on Tuesday released a deeply cryptic social media message thanking Browns fans for their support during his four years in Cleveland, the last of which was an injury-marred campaign that may have doomed his chances of playing another snap with the team. Turning 27 in April, Mayfield will likely start somewhere in 2022, though every sign points to him starting fresh with a QB-needy franchise. 
I'd love to see him go to the Colts and then become a star (although I'm not sure it's possible since he's not very good). Some Cleveland fans on this board let a tiny bit of success go to their heads. They even thought they were so cool going into other teams threads and ####ting in them. Call me petty - but I'd laugh if Mayfield took the Colts deep into the playoffs and the Browns continued to Browns.

I started to wonder if they were moving on with or without Watson.  Should be a pretty good QB at #13 (I hope)!  The possible point being salcap ramifications of the rookie contract going forward.

I'd love to see him go to the Colts and then become a star (although I'm not sure it's possible since he's not very good). Some Cleveland fans on this board let a tiny bit of success go to their heads. They even thought they were so cool going into other teams threads and ####ting in them. Call me petty - but I'd laugh if Mayfield took the Colts deep into the playoffs and the Browns continued to Browns.
Mayfield would be a best case scenario for Indy I think. 

No need.  You're a guy whose opinions I value.  👍
You're a level headed fan for the most part and seem to be a good guy. I was overstating a bit but sometimes people just rub you the wrong way (no Watson joke intended).

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Baker Mayfield and the Browns are "breaking up regardless" of the team's pursuit of Deshaun Watson.

According to Mort, it sounds like the two sides are truly finished with each other. He even stated that the Browns "want an adult" under center. Mayfield took to Twitter to share his feelings on the offseason yesterday, saying, "I have given this franchise everything I have." He later added, "Whatever happens ... I just want to say thank you." Mayfield knows his team is looking to move on and is likely ready to do the same. Talking about Cleveland's options at quarterback, Mort added, "Jimmy Garoppolo is one I would not ignore." Watson is the splashy name for the Browns but they will have to win a bidding war over New Orleans and Carolina unless Watson singles them out as the only place he will accept a trade to. If that doesn't happen, Cleveland will undoubtedly set their sights on Jimmy.

RELATED: 

Deshaun Watson

, Jimmy Garoppolo

SOURCE: Will Brinson on Twitter

Mar 16, 2022, 3:51 PM ET

the flip side of course is if he floundered with either the Seahawks or Colts, while someone like Marcus Mariota or JimmyG took them deep into the playoffs. 
That's very possible. The Browns did a good job of surrounding Mayfield with talent on both sides. If they drafted a rookie or acquired a veteran that QB starts off in a good situation. 

Or Watson. :o  
Honestly I've always been one of his biggest fans as a player. I stood on the table for the Jets to take him but they took a safety instead. 

I'm not sure what exactly happened - but he's no longer a guy I'd really want to root for so that would kill two birds with one stone - although it's obviously much more likely Watson and the Browns would excel than crash together.

I'm kind of with Daniel Jeremiah on this one.  Baker played through multiple injuries all year, it hurt his play on the field, and now he's being punished for it.

I get that Baker isn't likable, I don't like him much. But he's getting done dirty here. He made a pretty classy Twitter post addressing it, and he's getting dragged for it. The Browns are badmouthing him through Mort now? Kinda sucks.

Oh by the way: Mort says the Browns want a :fingerquote: ADULT :fingerquote: running the team. Oh, that's logical. Yes, yes, let's go get a nice mature adult like......DESHAUN EFFING WATSON  yeah, ok, copy that Mort, you has-been.

I hope Baker kills it wherever he winds up now. 

I'm kind of with Daniel Jeremiah on this one.  Baker played through multiple injuries all year, it hurt his play on the field, and now he's being punished for it.

I get that Baker isn't likable, I don't like him much. But he's getting done dirty here. He made a pretty classy Twitter post addressing it, and he's getting dragged for it. The Browns are badmouthing him through Mort now? Kinda sucks.

Oh by the way: Mort says the Browns want a :fingerquote: ADULT :fingerquote: running the team. Oh, that's logical. Yes, yes, let's go get a nice mature adult like......DESHAUN EFFING WATSON  yeah, ok, copy that Mort, you has-been.

never really thought about a QB running the team but I guess. 

Yeah, I think we are all seeing part of the reason the Cleveland franchise has been a joke for the past 30 years. No issue with them wanting an upgrade from Baker, but if the Mort story is true all I can do is laugh. If the Browns wanted this "adult" issue leaked, i have to question the people in charge there. 

Seems kind of odd if he goes for less than Wentz. 
Mayfield is better than Wentz or Garoppolo. If he goes for cheaper than either of them, that's a failure of multiple GMs. It'd be an amazing scenario, if Mayfield went to Indy for less than what they got for Wentz. 

I agree, this is hilarious.  

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Browns "still view" Baker Mayfield as their starter after Deshaun Watson spurned Cleveland on Thursday.

Yikes. Mayfield released an emotional statement earlier this week when he knew it was clear the team was trying to replace him with Deshaun Watson. Now that Watson has decided to not choose the Browns, coach Kevin Stefanski and the Cleveland brass needs to either patch things up with Mayfield or go on to Plan C. It would probably be best for everyone involved if it was the latter.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 17, 2022, 11:19 AM ET

At his best he's mediocre. Move on to Plan C. He's not Adult Enough to be a bridge quarterback.

You don't get to throw hissy fits after being as mediocre to date as he's been and given elite run game, great Online, good D, good skill players. Deal with it. It's life in the NFL.

He can go somewhere and ruin the value of OBJ/Landry/Hooper's of the world elsewhere. 👍

Yeah I get that but on the other hand it has got to suck when your team openly courts your replacement and publicly disses you.
Agreed.  But it’s very apparent these “men” are a bunch of big babies.  The nfl is getting as bad as the nba. 

Baker gonna throw a hissy fit :popcorn:  

Mediocre QB Gone Wild

As if ruining the careers of OBJ/Hooper/Landry wasn't bad enough.....................

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Baker Mayfield refused an offer from Browns brass to meeting following the team's failed pursuit of Deshaun Watson and has requested a trade. 

“It’s in the mutual interest of both sides for us to move on," Mayfield told ESPN. "The relationship is too far fine to mend. It’s in the best interests of both sides to move on.” On the one hand, it is petulant behavior from Mayfield. On the other, coach Kevin Stefanski has made it abundantly clear he does not view Mayfield as his quarterback of the future and wants to move on. It is best for both sides, even if it is happening in unnecessarily dramatic fashion. The Seahawks and Colts are the two obvious landing spots for Mayfield, with the fifth-year pro a perfect fit for the mentality — rightly or wrongly — Pete Carroll wants to reinstall following Russell Wilson's departure. Mayfield himself is reportedly interested in both teams. We firmly believe the Browns will "give in," and Mayfield will not be back. However, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that, at least for now, the Browns have no plans to accommodate Mayfield's request. 

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

, Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Mar 17, 2022, 3:35 PM ET

NFL reporter Josina Anderson reports the Seahawks "have discussed exploring" a trade for Baker Mayfield. 

Mayfield, following a cryptic goodbye message to Browns fans this week, on Thursday requested a trade amid reports the team wanted to acquire Deshaun Watson from Houston. The Browns quickly denied the request. The QB-needy Colts and Seahawks are potential landing spots for the unhappy Mayfield, who's signed with Cleveland through 2022. The Seahawks can't possibly go into the 2022 season with Drew Lock under center, and Mayfield could be a viable caretaker of the ultra run-heavy Seattle offense. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 17, 2022, 3:54 PM ET

Pretty sure despite you putting men in quotes, you'd be wanting to leave your job in this situation as well.
I’m from a different generation and my skin is much thicker than these guys, so doubtful.  I’d work towards getting my next contract with a different team. Although, admittedly I don’t live in the same realm of reality as these guys.  But the guys I grew up watching weren’t the drama queens these guys are. 
This era of guys demanding trades has me less interested in sports as I once was. 

I’m from a different generation and my skin is much thicker than these guys, so doubtful.  I’d work towards getting my next contract with a different team. Although, admittedly I don’t live in the same realm of reality as these guys.  But the guys I grew up watching weren’t the drama queens these guys are. 
This era of guys demanding trades has me less interested in sports as I once was. 
But you're too thin skinned to not let it bother you. Right.

How does it play in the locker room next year if he lets the Browns kick sand in his face and he just shrugs it off? If you think you're a starter, this is how you react. It's not about "fragility" at all.

How does it play in the locker room next year if he lets the Browns kick sand in his face and he just shrugs it off? If you think you're a starter, this is how you react. It's not about "fragility" at all.
It actually plays great if he mans up and balls out, telling everyone "f what they think, let's go win it all anyway".

I mean he isnt good and they won't win it all.......but that's what a professional would do, especially a professional who has earned absolutely NOTHING to this point

Yeah I get that but on the other hand it has got to suck when your team openly courts your replacement and publicly disses you.
This management team hasn't shown a propensity to playing games with the media. The 'adult' leak was poor form, but I don't know what anyone else expected them to do differently regarding this situation. For months all I read is Baker is not the guy then they vet a potential upgrade and it's a mistake? That's talking out of both sides of the mouth. 

Hypothetically speaking, if there was a Baker for Matty Ice trade, would ATL have to throw in a 2nd round pick? Ryan would put up better numbers but his contract is much worse and he's 37.

Users who are viewing this thread