What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

So Mayfield is inactive every week? That would make him the third stringer and mean he'd be getting very little reps in practice each week. Now that would be a very Brownsesque thing to do.
I didn't say every week. You keep taking one sentence and nitpicking it, missing the entire point of the post

Browns QB Baker Mayfield completed 11-of-20 passes for 212 yards and two touchdowns in Thursday’s preseason game versus the Giants.

Mayfield played with a mix of starters and backups on his first two drives, leading a 72-yard scoring drive on his second possession in which he was 3-of-6 passing for 57 yards and a touchdown. Mayfield picked up two first downs rushing on the drive, including a scramble on fourth down that set up his touchdown strike, a 10-yard pass to David Njoku. On his seventh and final drive of the night, Mayfield hit rookie Antonio Callaway on a sharp slant on third down that Callaway took 54-yards for a touchdown. On his five other possessions, Mayfield and the Browns struggled to get things going, totaling just five first downs with three 3-and-out possessions. Although the overall efficiency wasn’t there as Mayfield had multiple throwaways, he looked poised in the offense and extended plays with his legs while keeping his eyes downfield. Not expected to push Tyrod Taylor out of the starting job quite yet, Mayfield will look to build on his strong showing next week against the Bills.

Aug 9 - 9:41 PM

Absolutely. Hue is going to keep the charade going as long as he can though. He’s the worst.

I actually feel bad for Tyrod. He’s a decent QB and has had a good offseason. Was always looking over his shoulder in Buffalo and now he’s in a similar situation in Cleveland. 

Kind of weird to watch the hype.  He did alright, but he did next to nothing by the book.

Tyrod outshone him in every way possible and was night and day better preseason game 1.  Tyrod looked solid.

I was expecting Tyrod to be the story from watching that game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of weird to watch the hype.  He did alright, but he did next to nothing by the book.

Tyrod outshone him in every way possible and was night and day better preseason game 1.  Tyrod looked solid.

:mellow:

You saw a completely different game than I did.

You saw a completely different game than I did.
Tyrod perfect, clear chemistry with Jarvis.  Stepped into contact to make tough throws.  Stayed in the pocket.  His TD to Njoku was how it was drawn up, beautiful.

Mayfield all over the place, not as it was drawn up.  College ball against 2nd stringers.  He moved the ball and scored, but it wasn't pretty imo.  

It is inevitable, but so far Tyrod has a clear and distinct lead here.

Absolutely. Hue is going to keep the charade going as long as he can though. He’s the worst.

I actually feel bad for Tyrod. He’s a decent QB and has had a good offseason. Was always looking over his shoulder in Buffalo and now he’s in a similar situation in Cleveland. 
If you ever feel bad for Tyrod go watch his playoff game last year. :X

I think a lot of you guys pushing for Mayfield to start right away are falling for the annual trap of overreacting to 2nd stringer vs 2nd stringer results.

Perhaps more importantly, I don't think you're considering that the QB "battle" isn't happening in a vacuum. It's happening on what is still a young team coming off 1-31. They have had a lot of changes on offense. They need come together, become a stable unit, and learn how win games around a veteran QB that knows what he is doing. The last thing they need, at least early on, is a rookie QB trying to get his #### together out there. 

I guess if you have "the eye" Baker's talent is obvious. The question of when he will start is much trickier. My guess is Hue will go with Tyrod but once the seat starts getting hot he'll switch to Baker.

Surprised at the amount of debate as to whether it's better to start a rookie QB right away or not. The generally accepted wisdom is that it's better to let them sit for at least a little while. WHile I'm not sure that EVERY QB will do better long term this way, I am sure that SOME QBs will do better long term this way. While I'm not sure EVERY QB learns better from the sideline early on, I am sure that some use that experience to learn enough to preserve their bodies and their confidence until they know enough to perform on an NFL field. While I'm fairly certain a handful of QB's were ruined by playing too soon, I'm pretty sure that most weren't (or were no good to begin with!) I also know that some teams will win more, or lose more games playing the rookie over the veteran.

In the end, there is no one-size-fits-all decision to make here. Every team, situation, and rookie QB will be different and have to be evaluated separately. In this particular case, Cleveland has a veteran QB that can almost certainly give the team just as good a chance to win early on, and Mayfield clearly has the superior skill-set but an inferior grasp of NFL football as a whole. Seems to me he should probably start on the bench, but no reason to keep him there all year if the line can protect him reasonably well (read: not running for his life all the time) and he continues to show progress on the practice field.

I think a lot of you guys pushing for Mayfield to start right away are falling for the annual trap of overreacting to 2nd stringer vs 2nd stringer results.

Perhaps more importantly, I don't think you're considering that the QB "battle" isn't happening in a vacuum. It's happening on what is still a young team coming off 1-31. They have had a lot of changes on offense. They need come together, become a stable unit, and learn how win games around a veteran QB that knows what he is doing. The last thing they need, at least early on, is a rookie QB trying to get his #### together out there. 
That assumes that the veteran QB gives them a better chance to win games. In this case, I don’t believe that’s true. Mayfield isn’t trying to get his #### together our there, he’s good enough to play right away. Will he make mistakes? Sure. So will Tyrod (as he has in the past). 

Tyrod, a vet QB, looked good throwing to all the #1s, while being protected by all the #1s???

Shocking.
That argument goes both ways, but yes when comparing positions.. I'll take the #1 with a perfect performance against the ones over the other options.

That assumes that the veteran QB gives them a better chance to win games. In this case, I don’t believe that’s true. Mayfield isn’t trying to get his #### together our there, he’s good enough to play right away. Will he make mistakes? Sure. So will Tyrod (as he has in the past)
I'm guessing you have never paid attention to him?

This is actually the biggest argument for Tyrod.  He doesn't make many mistakes, he doesn't turn the ball over.

It is Tyrod's upside that is in doubt... not any worry about "mistakes".

I'm guessing you have never paid attention to him?

This is actually the biggest argument for Tyrod.  He doesn't make many mistakes, he doesn't turn the ball over.

It is Tyrod's upside that is in doubt... not any worry about "mistakes".
I’ve watched Tyrod plenty. He makes mistakes (not just turning the ball over) like all QBs do. He’s not some shining example of veteran QB play. Besides, it’s not like Mayfield has an issue being careless with the ball himself.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter. I believe Mayfield is plenty “ready” for the NFL and there’s not much point slow playing this to ensure it’s handled the “right way”. Others (including the Browns apparently) disagree. 

You’d think after 20 years of being let down by a team, it would slow down the overzealous homerism after a while.
History aside, there’s a lot to like with that Browns offense. Nobody’s predicting playoffs here but it would be a mistake to continue viewing them as garbage basement dwellers. 7 or 8 wins wouldn’t shock me even a little bit

History aside, there’s a lot to like with that Browns offense. Nobody’s predicting playoffs here but it would be a mistake to continue viewing them as garbage basement dwellers. 7 or 8 wins wouldn’t shock me even a little bit
Sure - but a top 5 offense with Taylor or a rookie at QB? I doubt that.

Word is that Hue is talking about demoting Baker to third string because he believes Stanton is a proven pro QB with a winning record as a starter.

No, I am not making this up

Word is that Hue is talking about demoting Baker to third string because he believes Stanton is a proven pro QB with a winning record as a starter.

I can not believe Hue won the power struggle with the GM Sashi in Cleveland. What a shipwreck that franchise is.

has a team ever improved their record by 8 wins from the year before?  that seems like a gigantic number.  

amnesiac said:
has a team ever improved their record by 8 wins from the year before?  that seems like a gigantic number.  
Rams were +7 last year and and were +9 in 99. So I guess it is possible.

Bronco Billy said:

I do agree that it is best Baker never takes a snap with this terrible coach as HC

Bronco Billy said:
According to my wife, men are supposed to have the ability to understand what someone means even when they say something completely different.  
You are lucky.  Mine expects me to read her mind or is just mad at me saying you know what you did!  The other day she had a dream that I did something to her, she was mad at me all day over the dream.

Users who are viewing this thread