What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PSA: Lessons Learned by a Travel Sports Parent (1 Viewer)

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy
***DISCLAIMER: THIS MAY BE "TL:DR"***

I'm taking the occasion of the 4-year 'anniversary' of my son's trip to Cooperstown Dreams Park, the event that his travel team at the time had been building towards for the previous 4 years, to reflect back on that time and share a few points I believe could help those still going through or will soon go through the ups and downs of travel/high level sports from early ages through high school. I'm not here to reminisce too much, only to touch on a couple of points that could help those who know less than I do.

First-and this should go without saying-enjoy the ride no matter how low it gets.  In the end, what you're really doing is creating memories.  It wasn't until the Cooperstown trip was upon us that I got that, because I was looking more at the here and now and not getting the bigger picture. In the end, their sports 'career' goes by so fast that before you know it, you only have a handful of games left and you realize your kid is not your little boy/girl any more, and if you're like me, you risk missing out on enjoying a great ride because you're worrying about individual bumps in the road.

Second-when it comes to your kid looking toward the chance to play their sport in college, I learned a little too late that you can save yourself some money and time by ON YOUR OWN going to camps offered by the school(s) your child may be interested in, and going to those, on your own if necessary, in order to get in front of that coach.  I'm not saying don't continue to play on a team, but what I am saying is that no matter what a team promises, nothing replaces getting a chance to impress a coach on as small a level as possible. For example, last week, my son's team competed in one of the largest showcase/tournaments, Perfect_Game, which included at least 128 teams mostly there for the sole purpose of playing in front of college scouts/coaches/recruiters.  I saw a decent number of schools represented, but with so many kids to look at and so many games, it would be difficult to really stand out.  A lot of kids there were actually already committed to a school, mostly D1.  While it was a great chance to gague themselves against top-notch competition and they played well, there didn't appear to be any over-the-top performances that would earn a second look.  It's still a little early to have received any feedback, so maybe many of the kids that got to play will get some attention because of these games.  On that note, I will share one story about my son from these games: In their last game, a handful of scouts showed up to watch the opposing pitcher (their #3 starter, FWIW).  I was sitting close enough to a couple of them to hear most of their conversations, and when they talked about the game, it was about that team, with no mention of anyone on my son's team.  In about the 4th inning or so, one of their hitters drove one deep, and my son was able to track it down and make a home run-robbing catch against the fence.  One of the the scouts there said "sign him up" but in an obviously joking way just before he left.  After that play, however, when they came in to bat, a guy wearing a shirt with a Dartmouth logo on it did approach the coach and talked to him through the fence.  I wasn't close enough to hear anything and I'm no good at reading lips, but I do think I hear the coach say 'center fielder', which is where my son was playing.  The right fielder also plays center on his HS team and has an absolute cannon of an arm, so maybe the coach was referring to him instead.  So, while it's doubtful he'll attract much attention, there's that little chance.  Ironically, the most interest he's gotten at this point is from a school that attended a camp he went to that's held on a yearly basis for rising seniors. Granted, he went because his 'club' coach recommended it to the entire team, so while it was good he was on that team, if he ends up at that school, it won't be because of anything he did on his team.

I'm not sure how much sense any of that really made, but it felt good to put it out there.  Thanks for listening, and good luck with your own kid(s).

I learned that you thought you saw a guy with a Dartmouth shirt moving his lips but not sure he was talking to the coach or what he was talking about.  

Life Lessons.   

I learned that you thought you saw a guy with a Dartmouth shirt moving his lips but not sure he was talking to the coach or what he was talking about.  

Life Lessons.   
Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can unlock the secrets of the universe by reading the list of ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper.

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can unlock the secrets of the universe by reading the list of ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper.

So true.

Though I got much more of a "In Search for Lake Wobegon" feel from it.  

Had experience coaching freshmen.

Now doing travel with my 10u daughter.

One of the things I got from a coaches clinic I attended that had 10 of the top D1 coaches there (fla, alabama, tennis etc)

"If a school/coach approaches you, and asks how would you like to play position X, even though you play Y"

The answer is yes, I would love to try that. Not sorry I am only going to play Ss.

If you haven't read it, this is a pretty good book excerpt about the high stakes, big money world of youth baseball.  It talks a lot about Perfect Game, and not always in the most complimentary terms.  Good luck to your son.
I'd like to think that I've been going into this whole process with eyes wide open, and now that I've been there, I definitely wouldn't discount anything written about Perfect Game, or travel sports in general.  

Shark move on traveling teams is to nail all the single moms. If you aren't, you're doing it wrong. I call it the "3 drinks and the stink" plan. :thumbup:  

Really hope my kids never get into this insane world of highly competitive 12 year old sports surrounded by obsessive A type parents vying for scholarships.

I'd like to think that I've been going into this whole process with eyes wide open, and now that I've been there, I definitely wouldn't discount anything written about Perfect Game, or travel sports in general.  

I’ve written about baseball for a dozen years now, and I’ve seen nothing that unites people in the industry quite like enmity for Perfect Game. The complaints can be summed up like this: What at first seemed to be a useful idea—bring all of the best players together in one place so scouts could see talent against talent and teams could skimp on travel expenses—morphed into an outsized machine that profits off teenage boys and glory-hungry parents.

Baseball’s developmental system is almost indistinguishable from basketball’s oft-criticized AAU apparatus. Youth travel baseball has become at least a nine-figure industry, preying on parents’ insatiable desire to secure college scholarships and high-paying major league futures for their children. In 2015, Perfect Game held more than a dozen events for nine-and-under teams. The same year the U.S. Specialty Sports Association, a governing body for slo-pitch softball that worked its way into amateur baseball, ranked 30 four-and-under teams—as in, preschoolers.

To ascend those rankings, or to get noticed by Perfect Game, children must play. So in warm-weather states they hit and pitch constantly. Year-round baseball is a bane of the medical community, which advocates participation in at least one other sport to lessen the chance of injury. A study by the American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI) found that kids who pitched competitively for more than eight months of the year were five times as likely to undergo arm surgery. Another study, published by the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, linked warm-weather climates with a higher incidence of Tommy John surgery.

The significant rise in Tommy John cases dovetails with the expansion of Perfect Game in 1998 from Iowa to the talent hotbeds of Texas and Florida. Within six years Perfect Game was holding 25 national showcases annually, and the number of youth and high-school-aged patients among Dr. James Andrews’s ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstruction cases jumped from 4% in 1997 to 26% in 2003. Andrews now estimates that one-third of his patients are under 18. He doesn’t call out Perfect Game by name. Next to nobody does. It is a powerful entity, and even top major league officials decline to talk about it on the record.

Really hope my kids never get into this insane world of highly competitive 12 year old sports surrounded by obsessive A type parents vying for scholarships.
There are definite horrors.  I find myself sometimes wandering down the potential  - is this right path.

That said for all the negatives, THERE is a TON of good.  We were in a great league, minus 1 team.

We have great parents and it's just been a blast

Thanks for sharing.  My son is 14 and has been playing travel baseball in South Florida for the last 4 years.  It is always nice to be reminded to enjoy the ride, no matter how bumpy it may get at times because before you know it, it will all be over.

I think the rhetoric of that article needs to be toned down a touch, as I think the description of parents is over-the-top. Regarding the 'insatiable desire to secure a college scholarship and major league future', I learned very early that full-ride baseball scholarships are just about non-existent, so that went off the table pretty early, and at no time would I describe myself as 'glory hungry'.  From the time he was 8, I became less involved each year and left the decision to continue up to him.  I know for sure of one and maybe two parents who may fit the 'glory hungry' description, but 8 years on, that has by and large not been the case of the parents I've encountered. 

However, I openly admit that part of the appeal of the current team my son is on was the opportunity to be looked at by college scouts/recruiters, but the expectation was tempered by the coach himself, who advised the boys to look for schools where they would realistically have a chance to play, additionally warning them of the financial limitations.  I feel we were fairly warned that at best, if they were lucky enough to attract a school's attention, they would AT BEST receive minimal financial assistance.   That may make me a little foolish with my money, but it does not make me 'glory hungry'.

If my daughter is good enough at anything and wants to, I'll go down the travel road, but only if those two things are actually true. My in-laws are into this with girl's lacrosse, and it's a HUGE time-suck and commitment from a parent's perspective (driving and watching endlessly, rinse and repeat). They're convinced it'll pay for college though. Not sure what to believe on that. Research seems to indicate there aren't full ride scholarships for sports like lacrosse, but I think the colleges offer financial "packages" which includes some discounts and loans, and then parents walk away saying they got a scholarship. 

I think the rhetoric of that article needs to be toned down a touch, as I think the description of parents is over-the-top. Regarding the 'insatiable desire to secure a college scholarship and major league future', I learned very early that full-ride baseball scholarships are just about non-existent, so that went off the table pretty early, and at no time would I describe myself as 'glory hungry'.  From the time he was 8, I became less involved each year and left the decision to continue up to him.  I know for sure of one and maybe two parents who may fit the 'glory hungry' description, but 8 years on, that has by and large not been the case of the parents I've encountered. 

However, I openly admit that part of the appeal of the current team my son is on was the opportunity to be looked at by college scouts/recruiters, but the expectation was tempered by the coach himself, who advised the boys to look for schools where they would realistically have a chance to play, additionally warning them of the financial limitations.  I feel we were fairly warned that at best, if they were lucky enough to attract a school's attention, they would AT BEST receive minimal financial assistance.   That may make me a little foolish with my money, but it does not make me 'glory hungry'.
I didn't mean to imply that you were "glory hungry" at all, just posting a quote from the article.

If my daughter is good enough at anything and wants to, I'll go down the travel road, but only if those two things are actually true. My in-laws are into this with girl's lacrosse, and it's a HUGE time-suck and commitment from a parent's perspective (driving and watching endlessly, rinse and repeat). They're convinced it'll pay for college though. Not sure what to believe on that. Research seems to indicate there aren't full ride scholarships for sports like lacrosse, but I think the colleges offer financial "packages" which includes some discounts and loans, and then parents walk away saying they got a scholarship. 
My daughter should have started a year sooner but she wasn't and I wasn't ready.  This year she was and she loves it and is pretty good. Definite top 5 on the team. But not by much.   She does hate me for making her go pitch and catch in the yard. And I tell her every time if you don't want to play these 2 positions then you don't need to practice but these 2 require extra effort.

Once she gets started she's fine it the self motivation that is lacking. But she is also only 10 :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mean to imply that you were "glory hungry" at all, just posting a quote from the article.
I know, but it's just that the article seemed to speaking in generalities about parents, and even though I only have empirical data, I think the article was looking at the bad examples of parents and implying that's the way all parents are.  I think most are like Grace Under Pressure:  IF the kid good enough AND wants to do it, then as a parent you want to help them take their shot.

Besides, my son is contemplating going out for soccer this Fall, as the team is expected to be terrible and he could get a lot of playing time, and that's where I expect the big college scholarship offers to pour in since he's a natural.

greedygoat said:
Thanks for sharing.  My son is 14 and has been playing travel baseball in South Florida for the last 4 years.  It is always nice to be reminded to enjoy the ride, no matter how bumpy it may get at times because before you know it, it will all be over.
Similarly, my son just turned 15 and has been playing travel baseball here in Michigan for 7 years (started with two years of 9U).  It has been a great ride with a ton of great memories and he loves the sport of baseball.  Being a sophomore this fall, we are just at the tip of the college recruiting/camps circuit.  I can see already the money grab of the showcase world and other recruiting services (i.e. the phone calls and emails from NCSA for football).  My plan is to the manage the process by giving my son opportunities that offer some exposure while not getting caught up in the hype... certainly would never go down to PG in GA.  I could see managing this like the good dad in the article, take time off in the off season to play other sports (I don't believe in fall ball) and hit some college camps.  Will see.

I am reminded of a time when a pit-master from South Carolina told me while cooking BBQ to "enjoy the cook as much as the meal".

Similarly, my son just turned 15 and has been playing travel baseball here in Michigan for 7 years (started with two years of 9U).  It has been a great ride with a ton of great memories and he loves the sport of baseball.  Being a sophomore this fall, we are just at the tip of the college recruiting/camps circuit.  I can see already the money grab of the showcase world and other recruiting services (i.e. the phone calls and emails from NCSA for football).  My plan is to the manage the process by giving my son opportunities that offer some exposure while not getting caught up in the hype... certainly would never go down to PG in GA.  I could see managing this like the good dad in the article, take time off in the off season to play other sports (I don't believe in fall ball) and hit some college camps.  Will see.
:goodposting:

The timing of the OP is good - I'm taking a team to Cooperstown in 2 weeks. As nuts as some parts of traveling baseball can be, it has been a blast for my two boys and for me (my wife is still deciding as she grew up in a non-sports household).

The timing of the OP is good - I'm taking a team to Cooperstown in 2 weeks. As nuts as some parts of traveling baseball can be, it has been a blast for my two boys and for me (my wife is still deciding as she grew up in a non-sports household).
I started a thread about Cooperstown when I got back 4 years ago, and some of the other FBGs here have gone as well.  It will be money well spent. The week we were there, I saw the entire spectrum of ability there, from kids who looked like they could still learn from playing tee-ball to kids who looked like all they've done their whole life is play ball, and most all of them seemed to be having the time of their lives.

I don't know what your future plans are with this team, but because of the age, this is probably the last 'youth' baseball event for them, as they move to the big diamond next year, and some may be done after this year, so help make this experience the best it can be for them, regardless of wins/losses.  Sorry if I sound preachy, I'm actually just really excited for you guys and encourage to you share your experience here if you want; I know a handful of us will be :popcorn: .

Charlie Steiner said:
I started a thread about Cooperstown when I got back 4 years ago, and some of the other FBGs here have gone as well.  It will be money well spent. The week we were there, I saw the entire spectrum of ability there, from kids who looked like they could still learn from playing tee-ball to kids who looked like all they've done their whole life is play ball, and most all of them seemed to be having the time of their lives.

I don't know what your future plans are with this team, but because of the age, this is probably the last 'youth' baseball event for them, as they move to the big diamond next year, and some may be done after this year, so help make this experience the best it can be for them, regardless of wins/losses.  Sorry if I sound preachy, I'm actually just really excited for you guys and encourage to you share your experience here if you want; I know a handful of us will be :popcorn: .
I am very interested about the whole Cooperstown experience.  I think I remember reading your thread and thought it would be a great idea down the road.  I am head coach for a 10u club team in Arizona,  soon to be 11u this Fall.  At what age would you recommend kids go to Cooperstown and what time of year?

I am very interested about the whole Cooperstown experience.  I think I remember reading your thread and thought it would be a great idea down the road.  I am head coach for a 10u club team in Arizona,  soon to be 11u this Fall.  At what age would you recommend kids go to Cooperstown and what time of year?
1. There are at least two different tournaments at Cooperstown, but I only know about the Cooperstown Dreams Park, which is 'for' 12 and under, so you'd have to look online for info on the other tournament(s) there.  The field dimensions at the Dreams Park are 70' between bases and 50' from the mound to home plate, plus each field has a fence at 200 all the way around'.   If your team is moving to 11U, you're probably going to have to start the process now if it's not too late.  Every team that goes is required to have a certificate for their team/rec/organization, but I don't know how hard they are to come by. Also, I don't know if drama is an issue for your team, but since you're talking about something that's almost 2 years away, you're going to have make sure that you get as much commitment from the players and their families as you can.  My son's team lost 2 players at the end of their 11U season, and while replacing them wasn't too difficult, it also meant trying to get players who fit in not just as players but also as kids.

1a. It's not going to be cheap.  I don't know how much the certificate cost, but it doesn't cover anything else, and 4 years ago the cost was $600 per player, and any non-coaching parents will have to find accommodations, which you have to secure pretty early as well.

1b. As for when to go, the Dreams Park is only open from ~late May-August, for a total of 12 weeks.  The year we went, I believe the more competitive teams went there earlier, so if you want to dance with the big boys, go early.  We went mid-July, and the competition covered a wide range, and we got totally lucky with our draw of opponents.  If your team plays/is registered in USSSA, you can look up the teams that are there the week you go.

2. I can't speak to the experience as a coach, but I do know that my son's coaches at that time also made the effort to build memories during the downtime as well.  One method I remember is that the head coach gave them goals for the number of games won.  Going into it, he told them he expected them to win at least one game, so there was no reward for that, but they were actually fortunate enough to win 5 of the 7 games they played, which meant he had to shave his head, and as soon as they won that 5th game, they all gathered outside the field and he shaved his head in front of them.

3. Circling back to drama, I know as the coach, there isn't much you can do about it, but I know at least from my son's team and a couple of other teams I know went there, things may happen that tear the team apart.  Again, with my son's team, 8 of the 11 kids that went had played together since before that team was even formed, but that didn't stop 2 of the parents (who showed no previous signs of tension between them) from getting into a heated argument which led one of them to pull their kid from the team.  I offer this story because even though you can't stop drama, you can shield the players from it somewhat.  Also, emotions may run high among the boys, so beware of unexpected meltdowns and/or head cases.

4. Finally, sorry for not having better info, but as an alternative, I heard that there is a similar venue is Louisville, and if the team stays together and you can afford it, Disney's facility for 13U is pretty cool as well, and will also feature international teams.  My son got to fill in for a kid on another team that went to that tournament, and he said the talent level varied also, so that just because a team is from Panama doesn't necessarily mean they're a juggernaut.  Thanks for replying and I hope this has helped.

soothsayer said:
Cooperstown is the best.  Incredible baseball experience for the kids and parents.  I had a thread about it too (or maybe I added the Charile's).  Very excited for you.  It's the one thing in life I can remember going in with so much hype and then delivering/exceeding expectations.

PS, Charlie did you hear Coach Lou died last week?

Cooperstown is the best.  Incredible baseball experience for the kids and parents.  I had a thread about it too (or maybe I added the Charile's).  Very excited for you.  It's the one thing in life I can remember going in with so much hype and then delivering/exceeding expectations.

PS, Charlie did you hear Coach Lou died last week?
I did not hear about Lou. Big bummer.  I never approached him when I was there, but I could tell he got a huge kick out of being there and interacting with the teams.  I hope nothing changes there, I think he nailed it with his Dreams Park.

Users who are viewing this thread