What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Proxy auction help (1 Viewer)

billrob

Footballguy
Doing my first proxy auction in a few weeks. I'm used to doing a live auction where only 1 player is up for bids at a time, now I'm doing this slow style and any number of players can be nominated at the same time.

Any tips for doing this kind of auction?

Say there's 2 players from the same position nominated, if both are close to the value I have for them I'd like to bid on both, but I wouldn't want to win both as my money spent will skyrocket.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks.

Doing my first proxy auction in a few weeks. I'm used to doing a live auction where only 1 player is up for bids at a time, now I'm doing this slow style and any number of players can be nominated at the same time.

Any tips for doing this kind of auction?

Say there's 2 players from the same position nominated, if both are close to the value I have for them I'd like to bid on both, but I wouldn't want to win both as my money spent will skyrocket.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks.
How long are your auctions open?

I'm running my first slow auction next week (with proxy bids) and it's set for 36 hours after the high bidder changes.

Note: Half our league are US based and half UK based so need to allow enough time for everyone to check in daily.

This is true for any type of auction. I'm looking for insight into how to manage when multiple players are up for bid at the same time. Say Brees, Brady and Rodgers are all up for bids and they're all around my value for them so I'd like to win one of them, but winning 2 of them would be devastating to my team.

High bids win after 18 hours if not out-bid.

Keeping track of the available pool and remaining flexible with your available dollars are paramount with this style of auction.

Doing my first proxy auction in a few weeks. I'm used to doing a live auction where only 1 player is up for bids at a time, now I'm doing this slow style and any number of players can be nominated at the same time.Any tips for doing this kind of auction?Say there's 2 players from the same position nominated, if both are close to the value I have for them I'd like to bid on both, but I wouldn't want to win both as my money spent will skyrocket. Any tips would be great.Thanks.
You have to pick your guy and don't try to price enforce on the other two. Also, it's to your advantage to bid your true max bid early. If you get into a bidding war, you drag out the auction on that player and keep your $$ tied up longer with no certain result.ETA: the problem in the OP is likely to be an issue only with top QBs (and maybe TEs). At RB and WR, just bid on the guys you want, whenever they're up.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is a tier of players that are close in your estimation, try to have as many of them nominated at the same time, and then pursue one - how aggressively is up to you. By saturating the market you may end up getting a comparative bargain. Of course others may too.

Try to stay unpredictable in your nominations, don't just nominate guys you don't want or that you do want in any particular phase of the auction (except the end, when money is tight, only nominate guys you want)

Remember your cap - don't blow it all on that one guy

Doing my first proxy auction in a few weeks. I'm used to doing a live auction where only 1 player is up for bids at a time, now I'm doing this slow style and any number of players can be nominated at the same time.Any tips for doing this kind of auction?Say there's 2 players from the same position nominated, if both are close to the value I have for them I'd like to bid on both, but I wouldn't want to win both as my money spent will skyrocket. Any tips would be great.Thanks.
You have to pick your guy and don't try to price enforce on the other two. Also, it's to your advantage to bid your true max bid early. If you get into a bidding war, you drag out the auction on that player and keep your $$ tied up longer with no certain result.
Sound advice, though I'm not sure I agree with this last part. As long as you're disciplined enough to not go chasing multiple elite names at the same position, there's no inherent advantage in announcing your max bid early. In fact, I'd argue the other way - it's obviously to your advantage to have your opponents' money tied up chasing multiple people for as long as possible with no certain result.

But yeah, when it comes to elite talent, pick a guy and stick with him, even if it means overpaying by a few bucks relative to what you wanted to pay. An alternative (and in my mind, probably better) strategy might be to try to lock up a top-end QBBC and TEBC on the cheap while your opponents have their money tied up chasing A-Rod, Brees, Gronk, and Graham. It's entirely possible you could land guys like Cam or Stafford for single-digit prices if you have enough people with their cash tied up battling over the top 3 names. By the time they realize that only one owner can win those battles, you'll have already landed the best of the next tier.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
Bamac said:
You have to pick your guy and don't try to price enforce on the other two. Also, it's to your advantage to bid your true max bid early. If you get into a bidding war, you drag out the auction on that player and keep your $$ tied up longer with no certain result.
Sound advice, though I'm not sure I agree with this last part. As long as you're disciplined enough to not go chasing multiple elite names at the same position, there's no inherent advantage in announcing your max bid early. In fact, I'd argue the other way - it's obviously to your advantage to have your opponents' money tied up chasing multiple people for as long as possible with no certain result.
"Announce" is an interesting word choice. I think in a proxy auction your max bid is hidden while you're the top bidder. If you're willing to pay $50, I don't see any advantage to bidding $35. If you get outbid after six hours, those six hours are wasted for you, not your opponent. If you want to increase your opponent's uncertainty, bid at the last minute when he's the leading bidder.ETA: if I'm wrong about the max bid being hidden, kindly disregard this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread