What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pro Bowl on Sunday (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
Rookie Andrew Luck is taking Tom Brady's spot in Sunday's Pro Bowl.Brady was among five Patriots who withdrew from the game Monday, citing injuries. The other Patriots were Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, guard Logan Mankins and nose tackle Vince Wilfork.Of course, all but Gronkowski (fractured arm) would have played in Super Bowl XLVII had New England beaten Baltimore.
:thumbdown: Buncha babies.

:goodposting: January 21, 2013|The Baltimore SunIt’s been a long wait for Terrell Suggs to exact his revenge on the New England Patriots, and when the Ravens’ 28-13 win was complete Sunday, he let loose."Tell them to have fun at the Pro Bowl," Suggs said after the game to Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports! about the Patriots. "Shut them out in the second half. Arrogant [expletive]. These are the most arrogant [expletive] in the world starting with [coach Bill] Belichick on down."

This is why I hate that there's an actual probowl game. Just announce the list and move on. Sore losers like this, as well as injuries and the SB contestants obviously not participating, means there ends up being a quarter of the damn league listed as "probowlers". It means nothing. Just go with the AP All-Pro team, or revamp the Probowl voting process to make it more legit and less of a popularity/name contest, and drop the game for good.Goodell already said that if the quality of play and effort in the probowl doesn't improve, he'll be canning it. Having a bunch of star players opt out because they're out with an injured pride just makes it that much worse. This is the one time I will side with Goodell and hope he goes all ruthless dictator on the pro bowl. Mercy kill it.

Goodell already said that if the quality of play and effort in the pro bowl doesn't improve, he'll be canning it.
Yep, it's gonna be interesting as hell seeing if anyone bothers to tackle this year. Last year's game was a total embarrassment for everyone involved. Ball is snapped... defenders stand up and jog in place. It was asinine.I used to love the Pro Bowl when I was growing up. All of the different helmets out there; the camaraderie among players on different teams. Back when the players CARED about winning, the game was a lot of fun to watch. But if the game continues on the way they played it last year, just get rid of it. I'd rather watch a skills competition or something.

It sucks for many reasons, however, if you ever get the chance to go, it is a great chance to meet many of the players and HOFers. Wife and I did it 7 years ago and it was an unforgettable experience. As for the game...UGH!

Just let the pro bowl die. Not because the Patriots have taken their toys and gone home (who wants an injury in a meaningless game), but because that game means nothing. Frankly, I can't imagine the ratings are even significant any more.

Goodell already said that if the quality of play and effort in the pro bowl doesn't improve, he'll be canning it.
Yep, it's gonna be interesting as hell seeing if anyone bothers to tackle this year. Last year's game was a total embarrassment for everyone involved. Ball is snapped... defenders stand up and jog in place. It was asinine.I used to love the Pro Bowl when I was growing up. All of the different helmets out there; the camaraderie among players on different teams. Back when the players CARED about winning, the game was a lot of fun to watch. But if the game continues on the way they played it last year, just get rid of it. I'd rather watch a skills competition or something.
I went to the Pro Bowl game in 2007 since it was something I always wanted to do and totally agree it should end. I enjoyed it since I had first row seats and it was incredible seeing the players up close like that but the game itself is just guys going through the motions. I would much, much rather have seen a skill competition.

Rookie Andrew Luck is taking Tom Brady's spot in Sunday's Pro Bowl.Brady was among five Patriots who withdrew from the game Monday, citing injuries. The other Patriots were Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, guard Logan Mankins and nose tackle Vince Wilfork.Of course, all but Gronkowski (fractured arm) would have played in Super Bowl XLVII had New England beaten Baltimore.
The upside of people withdrawing from the ProBowl is letting other players take their place. Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck get to go now which is nice because of the high marks several rookie QBs got this year. RG3 was the only one that made it and he is obviously injured, so none of them would've been there otherwise. Howver, overall it's pretty stupid and doubly so for having it before the SB when the SB players can't even decide to attend or not. So now there's half the team withdrawing every year it seems and the ProBowl tag gets even further watered down than it did after internet voting started. I'd be fine if they got rid of it or admitted that it doesn't really mean anything and stopped using it to describe a player's accomplishments.

I'm sure one of the biggest differences between then, when you were a kid, and now is that the amount of money to be made by players of this game has increased ridiculously. You can't really blame them for not risking their livelihood to play such a meaningless game. There's no upside for them.

Here's an interesting angle...When a team is used to going deep into the playoffs every year, and coming off a SB appearance last year, do you think guys want to schlep halfway across the globe to play a meaningless game instead of staying back home with family and letting their bodies recover, especially after a very physical championship game?Oh wait...Raider fan has no current experience with his team having to deal with issues like that.Instead of making threads trying to jab the Patriots at every turn, why don't you spend time investigating the validity of the accusations against your former head coach.Pretty funny how even your HC hates the franchise enough to sabotage a SB victory. :lmao:

Meh...lots of guys don't go.I don't blame them much.The game sucks...they risk injury...and especially those that made it to a conference championship game who have to then pack up and go get ready.Why bother?

Just let the pro bowl die. Not because the Patriots have taken their toys and gone home (who wants an injury in a meaningless game), but because that game means nothing. Frankly, I can't imagine the ratings are even significant any more.
The ratings are still pretty good. They're are about equivalent to an NBA finals playoff game, and they're higher than MLB's All Star game.

"Tell them to have fun at the Pro Bowl," Suggs said after the game to Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports! about the Patriots. "Shut them out in the second half. Arrogant [expletive]. These are the most arrogant [expletive] in the world starting with [coach Bill] Belichick on down."
Too bad Suggs didn't get in a candid post game photo with Brady, caption with "You Mad Bro!?!" and upload it to twitter. :kicksrock:

Here's an interesting angle...When a team is used to going deep into the playoffs every year, and coming off a SB appearance last year, do you think guys want to schlep halfway across the globe to play a meaningless game instead of staying back home with family and letting their bodies recover, especially after a very physical championship game?Oh wait...Raider fan has no current experience with his team having to deal with issues like that.Instead of making threads trying to jab the Patriots at every turn, why don't you spend time investigating the validity of the accusations against your former head coach.Pretty funny how even your HC hates the franchise enough to sabotage a SB victory. :lmao:
Whatevs. It is clear that NE has no class from whining about calls, blowing off post game interviews, playing games with the injury report etc. and last I checked both ATL safeties and Julio Jones are making the trek to the game. Ryan and Tony G are not going due to injuries, not because they lost in the Conference Championship game.

I don't blame any player for not wanting to go to the Pro Bowl a week after a playoff game. It fills in the gap between the CC and SB but it's not great for the players.

Here's an interesting angle...

When a team is used to going deep into the playoffs every year, and coming off a SB appearance last year, do you think guys want to schlep halfway across the globe to play a meaningless game instead of staying back home with family and letting their bodies recover, especially after a very physical championship game?

Oh wait...Raider fan has no current experience with his team having to deal with issues like that.

Instead of making threads trying to jab the Patriots at every turn, why don't you spend time investigating the validity of the accusations against your former head coach.

Pretty funny how even your HC hates the franchise enough to sabotage a SB victory. :lmao:
Whatevs. It is clear that NE has no class from whining about calls, blowing off post game interviews, playing games with the injury report etc. and last I checked both ATL safeties and Julio Jones are making the trek to the game. Ryan and Tony G are not going due to injuries, not because they lost in the Conference Championship game.
so, we've established that whining is classless......?kind of an ironic thread

Last edited by a moderator:

When a team is used to going deep into the playoffs every year, and coming off a SB appearance last year, do you think guys want to schlep halfway across the globe to play a meaningless game instead of staying back home with family and letting their bodies recover, especially after a very physical championship game?

Oh wait...Raider fan has no current experience with his team having to deal with issues like that.

Instead of making threads trying to jab the Patriots at every turn, why don't you spend time investigating the validity of the accusations against your former head coach.

Pretty funny how even your HC hates the franchise enough to sabotage a SB victory. :lmao:
I agree. In retrospect maybe whining is not the right word. What would you call it when the coach chases officials after games? Clearly not class or an example of sportsmanship.

I agree. In retrospect maybe whining is not the right word. What would you call it when the coach chases officials after games? Clearly not class or an example of sportsmanship.
what do you call it when certain types of people constantly whine about it?

The Pro Bowl is painful to watch.Here's an idea to generate much more interest in the Pro Bowl, not the actual game itself because that will always suck but to connect some of the scouting and prep for the draft directly in with the Pro Bowl.Have the Pro Bowl take place in Hawaii and then fly in all of the top DRAFT PROSPECTS in addition to the regular Pro Bowl game have the top prospects participate in an INDY COMBINE type of event where they would take the field at the Pro Bowl before the NFL stars and they would take place in a vigorous half-field type of practice session. A psudeu game.That way the teams and owners etc, could all be at the game with their top stars and the top college prospects could meet the best NFL stars and get instruction from them. The teams could kill two birds with one stone by conductind some pre-draft interviews and work outs. The scouting staffs would LOVE IT because they probably would be out on the road. The media would ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT to get the shot to have a nice tropical vacation. The top prospects would also love it, not just for the chance to go to Hawaii but to also meet the top NFL players. It would be a true media event and also be a legitimate NFL event and would fill a big hole in the NFL schedule.Thoughts?

sick burn bro!

'Chachi said:
Raider Nation posts a whole lot of garbage. Get a job or a hobby. Posting on a forum does not qualify.
Oh, hey Scores. I'm looking to expand my arsenal next season. Can you teach me the proper technique for :cry: :cry: :cry: about Dodds' rankings?http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=656480&st=0&p=14759907&fromsearch=1entry14759907http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=665726&st=0&p=14964175&fromsearch=1entry14964175 :thumbup:

You do realize that the other guys you mentioned from Atlanta are all first time Probowlers, right? Most guys are gonna want to go once to be a part of things, say they went, etc. When you are elected to the Probowl seemingly each year, there is an element of the experience that loses its luster...especially for guys that have to travel from the East coast to Hawaii.I give Slater a pass since he's a special teamer. :yes:

Drop the preseason game played at the Hall of Fame and replace it with a skills competition or an all rookie scrimmage. Open up the MVP voting and other honors to the public (maybe a 50/50 split?). Drop the Pro Bowl and eliminate the week gap between the finals/Super Bowl.

I would be doing everything in my power to avoid this game including faking an injury....I don't see what the big deal is...the Patriots aren't the only ones faking injuries and politely declining....especially if you are announced as a "Pro Bowler" it is already out there that you were one, but there is zero reason to actually play....Pro Bowler=means nothingAll Pro Team=means somethinglol at the guys who claim to be 8 time pro bowlers or something and half of them may have been because they were a "replacement"....but it still goes on your resume baby!....total crock....

I would be doing everything in my power to avoid this game including faking an injury....I don't see what the big deal is...the Patriots aren't the only ones faking injuries and politely declining....especially if you are announced as a "Pro Bowler" it is already out there that you were one, but there is zero reason to actually play....Pro Bowler=means nothingAll Pro Team=means somethinglol at the guys who claim to be * time pro bowlers or something and half of them may have been because they were a "replacement"....but it still goes on your resume....total crock....
Simple solution. The guys who opt out of the Pro Bowl with "mysterious" injuries are not eligible to make the All-Pro team.

"Tell them to have fun at the Pro Bowl," Suggs said after the game to Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports! about the Patriots. "Shut them out in the second half. Arrogant [expletive]. These are the most arrogant [expletive] in the world starting with [coach Bill] Belichick on down."
Too bad Suggs didn't get in a candid post game photo with Brady, caption with "You Mad Bro!?!" and upload it to twitter. :kicksrock:
...and get busted for PEDs next week.

Plus...if you don't think Robert Edwards injury has influenced some guys, especially from NE, to skip this thing, you're nuts.Promising franchise type RB blows out knee on the beach and never returned to the same level afterwards. Career over. No thanks.

Since no one in the pro bowl really plays at full speed the injury risk excuse is not valid. You have as much risk getting injured at home. You got voted in by thousands of people who want to see you there. No one really cares if you are the pro bowl MVP. They just want you there.This is why I have no respect for the players who shrug it off. I don't want you to get injured in a meaningless game. I just don't want you to disappoint the fans(kids) who expect to see you there.

And then exonerated for it with zero games lost.

And then exonerated for it with zero games lost.
That would not be surprising. Especially if Lewis hooked Suggs up with his attorneys. Ray Ray keepin it in da houze. Beating a PED case is a walk in the park compared to the murder "incident."

Plus...if you don't think Robert Edwards injury has influenced some guys, especially from NE, to skip this thing, you're nuts.Promising franchise type RB blows out knee on the beach and never returned to the same level afterwards. Career over. No thanks.
What does a flag football game on the beach (since eliminated) have to do with the Pro Bowl on a perfect field?I'd be surprised if more than two players at this year's game have even heard of Robert Edwards, and I'll spot you Peyton Manning.

sick burn bro!
:lmao:

I wouldn't be surprised if Welker were pretty banged up. On one hand, I think players who are honored as Pro Bowlers should attend... On the other, I don't understand the reason for the "exhibition" game. It is so far from real football that I can't remember the last time I watched it.I may be in the minority, but I still love the MLB All Star game. Grab a 6 pack of quality beer and enjoy the show. Just can't listen to "Back Back Back"" anymore.

'Raider Nation said:
'Bad_Mo said:
What does a flag football game on the beach (since eliminated) have to do with the Pro Bowl on a perfect field?I'd be surprised if more than two players at this year's game have even heard of Robert Edwards, and I'll spot you Peyton Manning.
I would not be surprised if the franchise will always be soured on this meaningless exhibition game due to Edwards's injury and that feeling probably trickles down to the players. Yeah, they don't play football on the beach anymore but that decision was made after-the-fact. The guy almost lost his leg, and the Patriots lost a Pro Bowl caliber RB that could have solidified that position for them for many years.The number of players at this year's useless exhibition game who know, or do not know, Edwards is irrelevant.

'Raider Nation said:
'Stinkin Ref said:
I would be doing everything in my power to avoid this game including faking an injury....I don't see what the big deal is...the Patriots aren't the only ones faking injuries and politely declining....especially if you are announced as a "Pro Bowler" it is already out there that you were one, but there is zero reason to actually play....Pro Bowler=means nothingAll Pro Team=means somethinglol at the guys who claim to be * time pro bowlers or something and half of them may have been because they were a "replacement"....but it still goes on your resume....total crock....
Simple solution. The guys who opt out of the Pro Bowl with "mysterious" injuries are not eligible to make the All-Pro team.
Terrible 'solution'. Good luck getting around the legal ramifications of deciding which injuries are 'mysterious' and which are legit.

'jmo87usc said:
Since no one in the pro bowl really plays at full speed the injury risk excuse is not valid. You have as much risk getting injured at home. You got voted in by thousands of people who want to see you there. No one really cares if you are the pro bowl MVP. They just want you there.This is why I have no respect for the players who shrug it off. I don't want you to get injured in a meaningless game. I just don't want you to disappoint the fans(kids) who expect to see you there.
totally dismissing the injury risk is crazy....some really bad injuries happen during games on what look like meaningless plays...and as far as the rest of your post....even some of the most die hard football fans don't even really watch this game....in fact, not sure I would want my "kid" to watch this game as it is not how it is supposed to be played and not even really football....the whole voting process is really nonsense, especially with all the "replacements"....fans know the players could really care less about going to this game....some of them may give the politically correct response that it is an honor, etc....but everybody knows it is a joke....and for those that think it is really cool to see Jerry Rice catch a pass from Favre or whatever...or Peyton and Luck tossing the ball around....well yeah, that is nice and all, but really who cares...people have a hard time letting go of things sometimes, but this is one of those things that IMO, nobody will truly miss if it goes away....and it just seems really weird to have 2 "All-______" designations in this sport....either your one of the best and on that first team all star team or you are not....and kind of off topic....but I think in any sport, if you are a "replacement" for somebody that can't be there, it shouldn't count.....you were next man up, not an all star..

'Raider Nation said:
'DropKick said:
I may be in the minority, but I still love the MLB All Star game. Grab a 6 pack of quality beer and enjoy the show. Just can't listen to "Back Back Back"" anymore.
:goodposting: and :goodposting: Berman is a cartoon character. And not a funny one.
I wonder if we could get Elmer Fud to shoot off his beak with his shotgun?

'Raider Nation said:
'Stinkin Ref said:
Worst idea ever

'Raider Nation said:
'Bad_Mo said:
Plus...if you don't think Robert Edwards injury has influenced some guys, especially from NE, to skip this thing, you're nuts.

Promising franchise type RB blows out knee on the beach and never returned to the same level afterwards. Career over. No thanks.
I would not be surprised if the franchise will always be soured on this meaningless exhibition game due to Edwards's injury and that feeling probably trickles down to the players. Yeah, they don't play football on the beach anymore but that decision was made after-the-fact. The guy almost lost his leg, and the Patriots lost a Pro Bowl caliber RB that could have solidified that position for them for many years.The number of players at this year's useless exhibition game who know, or do not know, Edwards is irrelevant.
:loco:
'Bad_Mo said:
Plus...if you don't think Robert Edwards injury has influenced some guys, especially from NE, to skip this thing, you're nuts.

'Raider Nation said:
'Stinkin Ref said:
Worst idea ever
No, it's a terrific idea. After all, I came up with it.

Promising franchise type RB blows out knee on the beach and never returned to the same level afterwards. Career over. No thanks.
:loco:
Don't get your point.Lemme break it down for you...first comment was in response to you saying you'd be surprised if more than two players who will be playing in this Probowl know who Edwards is. I would argue there are more than two people, excluding Manning, who know who he is. However, the number of individuals who know him is irrelevant to my point.

The other comment was in reference to "other guys" from the NE franchise mainly, but also extended to the "more than two" guys who know of Edwards.

I have no horse in whatever race is going on but New England RB Robert Edwards Pro Bowl injury wasn't even suffered in the Pro Bowl game.

Robert Edwards tore up his knee in a pickup flag football game on the beach while he was attending the Pro Bowl.

My link

... •Creating a menu for the skills competition would be tricky given the ramifications of an injury. In 1999, for example, New England Patriots running back Robert Edwards suffered a career-altering knee injury during a flag football game on a beach in Hawaii.
It occured some time ago so some people may have forgotten or over time assumed he was injured in the actual Pro Bowl game but he hurt his knee outside of the game.Carry on.

I have no horse in whatever race is going on but New England RB Robert Edwards Pro Bowl injury wasn't even suffered in the Pro Bowl game.

Robert Edwards tore up his knee in a pickup flag football game on the beach while he was attending the Pro Bowl.

My link

... •Creating a menu for the skills competition would be tricky given the ramifications of an injury. In 1999, for example, New England Patriots running back Robert Edwards suffered a career-altering knee injury during a flag football game on a beach in Hawaii.
It occured some time ago so some people may have forgotten or over time assumed he was injured in the actual Pro Bowl game but he hurt his knee outside of the game.Carry on.
Thanks for re-stating the same information that was posted earlier in the thread ;)

Users who are viewing this thread