What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason Game Observations (1 Viewer)

- With Harvin and Rice out, Baldwin and Tate were clearly the top 2 WRs.
What do you think about Tate in Harvin's absence? I think Tate is underrated this year.
Seems like a good sleeper. Somebody has to catch the ball there with Harvin out. He's not the tallest guy, but he's athletic and he did really well last year with his targets.

I follow the Seahawks and from everything I've read, Harper looks like a coin flip to actually make the team. It wouldn't be that big of an upset to release their 4th round pick. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 guys released from this team were signed onto other rosters, they are that deep. I'd give Ware a better shot at making the team over Harper.

I'd say the WR depth chart looks like this. Making the team: Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Williams. If they decide to keep 6 they keep Harper.
That's a fair assessment. Harper has had a quiet offseason and you really can't find much about him good or bad in practice reports. It's pretty clear that Kearse and Williams are ahead of him on the depth chart. Kearse seems like a lock to make the team. Williams vs. Harper could be a more interesting debate. Depth charts are based primarily on current ability, but roster decisions for the 5th or 6th WR spot could hinge more on long term potential. So if it's a case where Williams > Harper right now, but the staff thinks Harper > Williams long term, they could go with the rook for the 5th spot. If they keep 6, it probably won't matter. My hunch is that Harper makes the team, one way or another. You never know though...

As for Ware, Seattle has a logjam with Lynch, Michael, and Turbin. One thing they could do is trade Turbin to a RB-needy team for a late pick. I think his skill set is pretty redundant with Ware's and Lynch/Michael are both more talented. Trades are always unlikely in the NFL though, so they'll probably have to make a tough decision there. I think Ware deserves a spot on a 53 man roster. He can run with power, he's got a little bit of wiggle, and he can catch the ball really well for a 220 pounder. If Seattle cuts him, I look for some other team to scoop him as a versatile depth guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still room on the Eddie Lacy bandwagon.
Borderline RB1 this year. Franklin nothing more than change of pace back.
He is doing what people have said he needed to in order to clear up the FF questions there.

Now, MM could still be his same old self.

But it looks more and more like they have their bell cow to ride most games.

Going to watch his value for sure...but know this Bama homer in my league will scoop him up before I would take him.
This is what Im worried about in my league with 2 Bama alumni

Kenny Powers said:
koreansteve said:
Phenix said:
koreansteve said:
Just caught the games on NFL Gamepass. My impressions:
  • In the Browns game, it stood out to me how dynamic Jordan Cameron really can be given an opportunity.
  • Patriots will still be the Patriots and win the decision easily.
  • Ponder is not an NFL QB or even CFL QB, to be honest. A backup in Cousins is better than this guy can dream.
  • Who do the Chargers plan on taking with the first pick next year? Bridgewater or Clowney?
Yeah, forgot to mention Cameron. He looks like he could be in the Graham/Gronk conversation soon if he continues to put it all together. Just dominant.
So what was holding this guy back his first 2 years? Just Ben Watson? I like what Ive seen but based on expectations this year I dont understand why he wasnt more productive his first couple years considering CLE other receiving options, or lack thereof.
experience playing football? TE is one of the toughest positions to learn
No, I dont have experience playing football. I mostly played basketball and baseball. Ive never seen this TE argument before though.
I was talking about Cameron. He doesn't have a lot specifically playing the TE position where you have to learn both blocking technique/schemes and what you are supposed to do in the passing game. Makes it difficult to do it right away especially if you get dinged and miss time. Has taken plenty of TEs time to develop

BGE is a straight up plodder, there's no point in sugar coating it. He averaged sub 4 YPC before leaving NE and sub 4 YPC on CIN last year.
BJGE actually averaged 4.0 YPC last year, including the 1 playoff game. But that must not count because the competition is so much weaker in the playoffs. :mellow:
And he averaged 4.4ypc in 2010 but why let the facts get in the way of a good story. Also, while we're cherry picking data, from week 6 on last year BJGE averaged 4.5 ypc, with the hypothesis being it took a few games for the new run offense to gel.

Guy gets crapped on by everyone but there is a reason why he has been the lead back for NFL teams the past 3 years. IMO Gio will eat into his carries but BJGE will be the lead back the entire year with the goalline carries.
Actually I dont see most people crapping on BJGE, most are just commenting on how good Bernard has looked. I even said in my post last night I was avoiding the CIN RB situation because I was thinking it would be full blown RBBC, but with how good Bernard has looked, Im having trouble not seeing him get the greater share (60-65/35-40) of the touches as well as doing more with those touches. I'll definitely be paying close attention to their game next week.

And I'll ask again, why didnt BJGE get any touches yesterday? I dont see anything on him being injured.

Seattles OLine is grossly underrated, Lynch is a Top 5 runner, not really because of talent, but because in part of that OLine and Offense.
I couldn't disagree more strongly with your assessment of Lynch as a runner. He is a rare physically dominant RB. He fits Seattle's system perfectly.

Seattle's O-line is in a transition at both guard positions. They're not close to naming starters at either guard spot. They're set at both tackles and center. If anything, IMO more credit needs to be given to Tom Cable. When he showed up in Seattle the entire tone of the offense changed for the better.

Wilsons arm is telling me they will run A LOT.
Could you be more specific here? What are you saying about Wilson's arm?

good lord lacy is a monster...

watching the GB-STL playback, first drive...

on one play (several?) from first drive, it took like SIX rams defenders to bring him down...

took ball AND bell ahead of him in recent dynasty draft, because of concerns he will have short career (and more concern at that time over threat presented by franklin), but if that isn't the case, may regret those decisions... just have to see how they develop over next few years...

until recently i preferred bell over lacy in redraft... but franklin not looking like RBBC threat... i was also concerned that GB predominantly passing team, and his use could vary wildly from week to week... but if he continues to look this good, he should force the coaches to call his number more, and he will have some gaping holes to run through...

GB moves the ball very well (lot better than PIT last year), so that could make it far easier for lacy to get 12+ TDs and be among league leaders than bell...

what is relative ADP of lacy and bell at moment? lacy must be surging, not sure if bell is dropping some with recent knee injury news (though reportedly minor?)...

Tonight is the night for Vick Ballard to win or lose his starting role IMO. Better solidify your spot big fella...

BGE is a straight up plodder, there's no point in sugar coating it. He averaged sub 4 YPC before leaving NE and sub 4 YPC on CIN last year.
BJGE actually averaged 4.0 YPC last year, including the 1 playoff game. But that must not count because the competition is so much weaker in the playoffs. :mellow:
And he averaged 4.4ypc in 2010 but why let the facts get in the way of a good story. Also, while we're cherry picking data, from week 6 on last year BJGE averaged 4.5 ypc, with the hypothesis being it took a few games for the new run offense to gel.

Guy gets crapped on by everyone but there is a reason why he has been the lead back for NFL teams the past 3 years. IMO Gio will eat into his carries but BJGE will be the lead back the entire year with the goalline carries.
Actually I dont see most people crapping on BJGE, most are just commenting on how good Bernard has looked. I even said in my post last night I was avoiding the CIN RB situation because I was thinking it would be full blown RBBC, but with how good Bernard has looked, Im having trouble not seeing him get the greater share (60-65/35-40) of the touches as well as doing more with those touches. I'll definitely be paying close attention to their game next week.

And I'll ask again, why didnt BJGE get any touches yesterday? I dont see anything on him being injured.
I was responding to the guy that said he was a straight up plodder...sounds like crap to me.

I wasn't able to watch last nights game, just the first one in which Bernard didn't look that great to me. It looks like the entire Bengals offense did well last night including all the other RB's that collectively averaged 7 yards a pop.

I'm not sure why BJGE didn't play, haven't seen any injury notes, I had assumed because they wanted to see what they have in the other four RB's and BJGE will get his dress rehearsal in preseason game 3.

I'm a Bengals fan, I hope Bernard is great, I just think people have been busy engraving BJGE's tombstone the past three years and have been wrong and my bet is BJGE gets the 60%, not the 40%. I hope I'm wrong if Gio is just unstoppable...I think not this year.

Tonight is the night for Vick Ballard to win or lose his starting role IMO. Better solidify your spot big fella...
I know you're the Colts fan, but I'm not getting this point of view. This job is all Bradshaw's as long as he can walk, IMO.

Of all the RBs, he's the best runner, he's the best pass-catcher and he's the best blocker. And he's a winner. What's not to like?

Seattles OLine is grossly underrated, Lynch is a Top 5 runner, not really because of talent, but because in part of that OLine and Offense.
I couldn't disagree more strongly with your assessment of Lynch as a runner. He is a rare physically dominant RB. He fits Seattle's system perfectly.

Seattle's O-line is in a transition at both guard positions. They're not close to naming starters at either guard spot. They're set at both tackles and center. If anything, IMO more credit needs to be given to Tom Cable. When he showed up in Seattle the entire tone of the offense changed for the better.

LOL, I meant not really because of talent as in his talent isn't the only reason. If it matters I have Lynch as my #4 RB, so I value him way more than most. Talent he does not lack.

As for Wilson, he had a lot of bad throws last night, overthrew WRs a couple times, looks like his arm is inconsistent. While he still may put up numbers, running is what's going to lead this team to the NFC Title game.

I know you're the Colts fan, but I'm not getting this point of view. This job is all Bradshaw's as long as he can walk, IMO.

Of all the RBs, he's the best runner, he's the best pass-catcher and he's the best blocker. And he's a winner. What's not to like?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Broken+Foot+X-ray&FORM=RESTAB#view=detail&id=E9464F17AC96EA7AEB826A3FBDD74599D965307F&selectedIndex=497

:shrug:

LOL, I meant not really because of talent as in his talent isn't the only reason. If it matters I have Lynch as my #4 RB, so I value him way more than most. Talent he does not lack.

As for Wilson, he had a lot of bad throws last night, overthrew WRs a couple times, looks like his arm is inconsistent. While he still may put up numbers, running is what's going to lead this team to the NFC Title game.
While I agree that Seattle will be a run-first offense again this season, I think you're mistaken if you try to pin that on R. Wilson's inaccuracy, especially if you're basing it on a week two preseaon game (one in which he completed 67% of his passes). Check the stats. His consistency is not an issue.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Broken+Foot+X-ray&FORM=RESTAB#view=detail&id=E9464F17AC96EA7AEB826A3FBDD74599D965307F&selectedIndex=497

http://fansided.com/2013/08/14/chuck-pagano-called-ahmad-bradshaw-an-every-down-back/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncmBIWaXF5Y

Lulz

beautiful 20 yd first run flashing his explosiveness by david wilson*, in giants/colts game that just started on fox in LA...

* long PI penalty on DB covering cruz on deep pass got giants in scoring position...

andre brown got call when coughlin went for it on 4th down around 7 yard line (?), failed to pick it up...

* really interested in seeing how wilson looks in preseason, one of my favorite 2013 breakout candidates at RB...

http://fansided.com/2013/08/14/chuck-pagano-called-ahmad-bradshaw-an-every-down-back/

Yep, as the article states, once he returns to the field, he can start competing with the other backs.

Yep, as the article states, once he returns to the field, he can start competing with the other backs.
Don't get me wrong, in the leagues where I draft Bradshaw I'm gonna look to cuff him with Ballard. Bradshaw comes with more risk than some other RBs. That said, Ballard looks to be the very definition of an ordinary running back to me. If Bradshaw is healthy enough to suit up, I don't see it being much of a competition. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I saw/reacted much the same last night, however after further review he only missed on 4 passes. 141.0 QB rating 2TD's blah blah blah.

Kid is a monster.

Anyone think 2013 Wilson/Brown could be the 2012 Spiller/Jackson?

Meaning the more talented back gets 200 carries because the coach likes someone older and more dependable to get important snaps? Really caps his upside, but then again getting someone like Wilson in the 4th and getting 1100+ rushing yards would be pretty sweet.

Anyone think Wilson could be this year's Spiller? As in, clearly the more talented back, but only gets <200 carries because the coach likes someone older and more dependable to get important snaps?
I prefer to think of it as Brown being criminally undervalued.

Wilson looks like a mixed bag to me. If he has a crease he is gone but he lacks vision or lateral mobility.
I've been turned into a Wilson believer, but I was not a fan coming out specifically because he had no vision at all. I firmly believed that if we could put Ryan Williams vision into Wilson's body we'd have an unstoppable force of nature though (Ryan Williams because they were compared a lot coming from the same school).

Meaning the more talented back gets 200 carries because the coach likes someone older and more dependable to get important snaps? Really caps his upside, but then again getting someone like Wilson in the 4th and getting 1100+ rushing yards would be pretty sweet.
He seems to be well ahead of where they had Spiller in year 2. Wilson is starting, playing the rushing downs and has been removed from kicoff return duty. Moreover, FJAX was among the best players in the league for month-long chunks on a couple of occasions; a real beast. Abrown has had some success, but not that kind of success.

that's an insult to Fred Jackson.

Okay, Hilton looks really really good.
agreed, nice body control and field awareness to come down with contested, fairly well covered pass dropped into corner of end zone by luck...

he could be underrated this year...

he had best numbers for rookie WR with gordon in 2012, ahead of top two pedigree blackmon and floyd, which was unexpected, so flying under radar a bit for THAT reason...

doesn't have prototypical size...

wayne is on team, but he seemed to run out of steam as season progressed, hilton far more explosive at this stage...

and while many are hip to luck, they may not necessarily being expecting possible top 5 season, which is realistic, so if you like luck a lot, could be a lot to like about hilton's development in year two...

also, with two relatively highly drafted TEs, and new OC being old stanford OC, could be assumption that TEs will be primary receiving weapons, which could further cause him to be underrated, and present even better value...

edit/add (reference to below comment) - haven't checked his ADP lately, but curious...

* another nice catch and run by wilson for first down... led nation in post-contact yardage final year at VTech, in addition to speed and explosiveness, very powerful lower body with freakish contact balance and flexibility...

edit/add - brown gets call again in 4th and short, this time at 12, made powerful run getting edge and powering through few defenders to get to 5 for first down...

wilson back in, poorly blocked/executed play, five yard loss... couple incomplete passes, come away without TD again on long (14 play) drive...

Users who are viewing this thread