What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Preseason Doesn't Tell Us Anything - Especially For Rookies" (1 Viewer)

BAD

"X Player is wowing coaches this week in practice!"
"X Player looks to be in the best shape of his life!"
"X Player had an explosive 80 yard run in practice!"

GOOD

"X Player has been lining up in a different spot in practice so far."
"X Player has seen a ton of reps with the first team in practice so far"
"X Team has been using a lot of two TE formations so far."

Ja'Marr Chase can't catch the ball.

Fair rebuttal.

But he still doesn't have an other-wordly catch rate and has dropsies. I picked him 1.01, too. Traded up to get him (cost me the 2.04). The problem with that line of thinking is how important are drops in the scheme of things other than coaches yanking you off of the field? Are drops consistent year-in and year-out? Are they a sticky stat?

For the first question, if Taylor is going to keep running Chase out there and designing plays for him (he has one of the highest first-read percentages among receivers), then who cares for fantasy if he drops one out of ten?

The second or third is where the interesting stat lies. Drops have been called "inconsistent" and "not sticky" by stat analysis guys. That's the thrust of it. So whether he dropped balls one year isn't really determinative of whether he'll drop them next year and the stat isn't predictive of the next year's drops.

Fun stuff!

Ja'Marr Chase can't catch the ball.

Fair rebuttal.

But he still doesn't have an other-wordly catch rate and has dropsies. I picked him 1.01, too. Traded up to get him (cost me the 2.04). The problem with that line of thinking is how important are drops in the scheme of things other than coaches yanking you off of the field? Are drops consistent year-in and year-out? Are they a sticky stat?

For the first question, if Taylor is going to keep running Chase out there and designing plays for him (he has one of the highest first-read percentages among receivers), then who cares for fantasy if he drops one out of ten?

The second or third is where the interesting stat lies. Drops have been called "inconsistent" and "not sticky" by stat analysis guys. That's the thrust of it. So whether he dropped balls one year isn't really determinative of whether he'll drop them next year and the stat isn't predictive of the next year's drops.

Fun stuff!
Never really gave drops much thought but I did just check and was surprised to see Ja'Marr had 11 drops in 17 games as a rookie (8.6%) and another 11 drops in 12 games last year (8.2%). His end of season numbers certainly mask that but, that's not a good rate at all. By comparison Davante has 23 drops over the last five seasons (74 games) and Jefferson has 12 total in two seasons.

Chase is definitely one of the best in the game but this seems like a potentially significant flaw in his game.

Chase is definitely one of the best in the game but this seems like a potentially significant flaw in his game.

The statistics guys seem to believe and purport that the statistics seem to show that drops aren't a consistent thing, but scouts would probably tell you differently (that catch technique is a real thing -- a real skill). The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I watch Chase all the time because of dynasty. The drops don't really kill him because he's so good at getting open and getting open deep, especially -- though I think his aDOT was way down this year from his rookie year because of defensive schemes.

Regardless, as long as Taylor and Burrow trust him, he'll be fine due to sheer volume.

But yeah, the drops. If somebody offered me Jefferson straight up for Chase, I'd accept and only hesitate because of the Cousins/Burrow thing. Jefferson is 1A to Chase's 1B, and as a Jets fan, we'll see if we can't get Garrett Wilson to 1C anytime soon. I'd be thrilled with that, drops or no drops.

My first memory of this was Kurt Warner. He looked incredible compared to Tony Banks but I stupidly though "preseason."

My first memory of this was Kurt Warner. He looked incredible compared to Tony Banks but I stupidly though "preseason."
I think that's the thing though, some of the players will have a good preseason and follow it up in the regular season and some will be duds, but there's very little correlation between the two so can't predict one way or the other.

I think that's the thing though, some of the players will have a good preseason and follow it up in the regular season and some will be duds, but there's very little correlation between the two so can't predict one way or the other.

Lions have a camp darling this year, Dylan Drummond (EMU) who can't be real. Every day he makes an amazing play, high pointing the ball, toe tapping the sidelines, Goff ran out of adjectives talking about him yesterday. Always where he's supposed to be, catches everything, etc.

Dude has a RAS of 3.66. Wasn't even a priority UDFA, they invited 10 local kids to tryout at [rookie] minicamp. He was the only one to land a spot on the 90 man. Five years of middling production as a rotational WR at a MAC school. Absolutely dominating every day. Makes no sense. Currently listed as a 2nd stringer, totally out of left field.

EDIT this is bonkers

one of five rookies Dan Campbell singled out for praise this week

Last edited:
Not that you needed to be a real genius to make these calls but I remember watching like 3 preseason plays from Zeke and AP and instantly knowing they were going to be studs. It was just so obvious their games were going to perfectly translate.

This is secretly an Anthony Richardson & Puka Nacua post.
Cam Newton made some sweet plays in the pre-season too of his rookie year. That's why I ended up drafting him everywhere. Paid off and went to the championship in both my leagues that year. I can see Anthony Richardson having a similar rookie year. I doubt he gets close to 4000 yards passing though

Last edited:
BAD

"X Player is wowing coaches this week in practice!"
"X Player looks to be in the best shape of his life!"
"X Player had an explosive 80 yard run in practice!"

GOOD

"X Player has been lining up in a different spot in practice so far."
"X Player has seen a ton of reps with the first team in practice so far"
"X Team has been using a lot of two TE formations so far."
This is a fantastic post. Exactly right.

I'm a Bears fan and living through this right now regarding Fields. It's simply impossible to glean any real information about his progress. Impossible.

This is secretly an Anthony Richardson & Puka Nacua post.
Cam Newton made some sweet plays in the pre-season too of his rookie year. That's why I ended up drafting him everywhere. Paid off and went to the championship in both my leagues that year. I can see Anthony Richardson having a similar rookie year. I doubt he gets closer to 4000 yards passing though
Might get 4000 rushing tho. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread