What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Potential Wentz-for-Rodgers opinions needed (1 Viewer)

The Jacket

Footballguy
I play in a salary cap dynasty league -- 19 roster players, $125,000 cap. I can't really explain my idea without going into crazy detail, I guess the bottom line is, would you rather have Wentz on a 3-year, $1500 contract or Rodgers on a ~$20k contract (for as many as years as you'd like - you can assign this on his new contract)? That cap savings is a pretty big deal, but if the gap is big enough, it's definitely worth it. QBs often give the edge in this league. 

4-point passing TDs, 1-point per 25 yards. Again, I know it'd be easier to answer with lots more detail. But basically Wentz vs Rodgers moving forward? I own Wentz, and he seems like such a promising rising start - it's just so tempting to take a rare chance at getting A-Rod. I'm not sure I fully believe Wentz is a legit top 3-5 type guy. 

A lot of this depends on your status for this year.  Trading Wentz for Rodgers right now is a big hit to your chances this year (most likely).   What happens to Wentz after his 3-yr contract is up?  Can you keep him or does he go back into the auction?  Does Rodgers salary of $20K hinder your other moves because you won't have cap space?  Does this salary prohibit you from improving other places because you have no cap space? 

Is it a straight Wentz for Rodgers deal?  I believe Rodgers should be elite for another couple years (barring injury of course).  I don't think Wentz will ever get to Rodgers level but he will be a top 8-12 guy for the foreseeable future.  Is the improvement to Rodgers at QB worth the flexibility loss at other positions due to the cap hit?  Without knowing your roster and cap limitations it makes it extremely difficult to make a recommendation.  In general, if you are not competing this year and the cap hit doesn't prohibit you from making other moves then I don't see a problem with making the deal.  

Yeah I appreciate it's a super tough question. I'd need to write an essay to cover your questions, all valid and important I know. To keep it as simple as possible, forget this year, next year my core will be:

RB: Zeke, Gordon, Duke Johnson

WR: Julio, Diggs, Marvin Jones, Pryor, Ross, Beasley

TE: Howard

Cap space: $55,780

So with Rodgers, I'd still have plenty of cap space to figure something out at TE and maybe try to consolidate my WRs into a better starting trio. In this league we only start 1 QB, 5 RB/WR and 1 TE. Then again, with Wentz, I would be able to sign a superstar, so that's where the dilemma is. We're probably talking something like Rodgers + a Keenan Allen type of guy, vs Wentz + Jordy Nelson or some such.

Also for the record, it'd be more than a straight trade. Possibly as much as something like a late 1st rounder and a guy like Lamar Miller too. My team is pretty good this year, although the Zeke suspension might hurt. 

At this point I'm just rambling. I knew this would be a difficult one, heh. 

I am confused by the inclusion of a 1st rounder and Lamar Miller.  Knowing the extent of the entire trade has impact on whether or not to make the deal.  Also, it sounds like there will be plenty of talent available (keenan allen/Jordy) in the draft/auction.  As you have stated this has many facets to truly give an educated answer.  So to simplify, I will say this:

Making this trade will hurt you for this year (it does matter since you stated your team is pretty good this year).  Remember the point is always to win so if you have a good chance this year then I wouldn't do something to hurt that and swapping Wentz for Rodgers will hurt you this year.  In addition, I think Wentz will be a solid (and improving) QB asset moving forward so having the additional cap space to improve other areas is a huge advantage.  I am going to assume that most top 10 QB's are well over the $1500 that Wentz is costing you thereby giving you quite an advantage over everyone else needing to spend money for a top 10 QB.    

Users who are viewing this thread