What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Potential trip to Ireland - looking for places to visit and stay (1 Viewer)

rzrback77

Footballguy
Current idea is to fly into Dublin and spend two or three days there and then rent a car. Total time in Ireland likely ten to twelve days. Have been reviewing Rick Steves Ireland, but would definitely appreciate opinions from folks that have lived there or traveled there.

Likely traveling in April of next year, so still have six to eight months to plan.

Thanks for the help

Group tours have their advantages and disadvantages, but, even if not your thing, itinerary may be helpful to see. I did this one with Globus several years ago — seven day tour, and added on some extra time in Dublin. Pretty good loop where got to see things like the Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, Killarney National Park, Rock of Cashel, Glendalough (this one amazing), and the tourist trap that is the Blarney Stone. Only thing that really regret not seeing was going up to Northern Ireland, but that will be another trip sometime.

Group tours have their advantages and disadvantages, but, even if not your thing, itinerary may be helpful to see. I did this one with Globus several years ago — seven day tour, and added on some extra time in Dublin. Pretty good loop where got to see things like the Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, Killarney National Park, Rock of Cashel, Glendalough (this one amazing), and the tourist trap that is the Blarney Stone. Only thing that really regret not seeing was going up to Northern Ireland, but that will be another trip sometime.
Had been reading about Glendalough and definitely wanted to add it in. Thanks!

Current idea is to fly into Dublin and spend two or three days there and then rent a car. Total time in Ireland likely ten to twelve days. Have been reviewing Rick Steves Ireland, but would definitely appreciate opinions from folks that have lived there or traveled there.

Likely traveling in April of next year, so still have six to eight months to plan.

Thanks for the help
Just want for 2 weeks last September. Started in Dublin, straight to Galway for 5 days. Then on to Sligo before a big finish back in Dublin. Loved all 3. Highlight. Book the falconry walk at Ashford Castle and plan lunch the same day there. You have to do this way in advance as they sell out. Without either you can’t get in. It is spectacular. We played some magnificent golf courses, did Cliffs of Moher and other sites, ate very well. Loved the hotels as well. I can send all in a bit

Biggest mistake people make in Ireland is trying to do it all. Cover way too much ground just to check off Blarney Stone off a list. Everything is 2-3 hours away. You’ll be spending your entire trip driving and seeing sheep. Get a couple base cities and just do local day trips from there.

Had been reading about Glendalough and definitely wanted to add it in. Thanks!
Glendalough is beautiful

Cliffs of Moher is cool if you can tolerate heights. would echo @Don Quixote in wanting to see Northern Ireland but fitting that in didn't work out for us.

Just back yesterday from Ireland, met my wife who was there for work first half of last week. Quick trip - arrived last Thurs am, all four nights spent in Dublin, with a couple of day trips. One was to Belfast, there and back same day (2 hrs each way) by train. Very glad we went. Had a guy waiting for us at the train station who took us on a 90 minute tour of the neighborhoods and landmarks related to The Troubles. It brought to life all that I've read and watched on the subject over the years. Spent the rest of the afternoon in some great local pubs, then train back in the evening. If you stay in Dublin you could sandwich the Belfast day-trip between two full days in Dublin, which I think is enough to visit most places and pubs of interest. We'll do an extended trip sometime soon to see more of the coastal towns and countryside.

My wife and I were just reminiscing about our trip to Ireland and trying to recount our itinerary yesterday, so this is all fresh on my mind (well as fresh on my mind as it can be for 12 years ago). We loved everything, and it was one of our all-time favorite trips.

This was our itinerary, roughly.

Day 1: Dublin. Hop-on/Hop-off bus, Guiness factory (this was our landing/jet lag day so we took it easy)
Day 2: Dublin. Took a class on how to play Gaelic football, and got to play a game at the end. It's a really fun game!
Day 3: Drive from Dublin to Galway. Stop at Clonmacnoise along the way, but otherwise not super eventful, just taking it easy
Day 4: Clifden. Renting bikes and pedaled Sky Road
Day 5: Clifden. Booked a Coasteering trip. Not sure if this would still work in my now more advanced age but it was awesome. It's basically hiking with a guide along the edge of the rocky water and you have to climb over rocks, jump off some medium sized cliffs, swim some parts, etc.
Day 6: Clifden. Connemara Loop drive. This is a super underrated area. Surprisingly pretty mountains, some cool buildings (Kylemore Abbey), and some surprisingly impressive fjords that I didn't even know Ireland had.
Day 7: Drive from Clifden to Dingle. Stopped at Cliffs of Moher and drove over the Conner pass on the way (very impressive/steep mountain pass). Between those two stops that made the drive a whole day event.
Day 8: Dingle. Drive the Dingle Peninsula loop. Some of the most impressive scenery I've ever seen here. We were fortunate to have amazing weather, but this felt more like an indonesian archipelago than Ireland. The beaches were amazing. We also got lucky in that the local Dingle Gaelic football team had a match this evening, so we went to that (and knew all the rules thanks to our class in Dublin!) and had an amazing time cheering them on with the locals.
Day 9: Dingle. Day trip to Killarney National Park. You get to do a fun "cheat" hike here where https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/85xv...ok-2.jpg?rlkey=1tdhcbuo0yzb0qpfcc38w9cf4&dl=0they take you up the gap of Dunloe in a horse-drawn carriage as far as you want and drop you off, and then you hike back with views.
Day 10: Fly home

We've been lucky to visit some incredible places in our life, but we always come back to this one as possibly our favorite. To be fair we got EXTREMELY lucky with the weather, with it being bright and sunny the whole time (obviously pretty rare for Ireland). The countryside and water are a completely different place with the sun out. We nicknamed the place "Hawaiireland" while we were there because it felt like Hawaii as much as Ireland.

We stayed in Clifden because we wanted a smaller town with more local flare. We loved it, but no idea if it still has that feel now a decade later with so many more people traveling. Dingle was already touristy even then but still really cool.

As far as things missed in those areas we didn't do the Ring of Kerry since it's similar to Dingle Peninsula, but it sounds cool too and gets you access to Skellig Michael if you're a star wars fan.

I was a dork back then (now I'm the coolest guy to ever spend half his day on a fantasy football message board) so I actually started blogging about our trip. But I only got through the first couple days. But if you want to read through for more info and it also has some pics as well, and directions.

Two Days in Dublin
Cycling Sky Road (Clifden)
Driving the Connemara Loop (Clifden)

Quick photos
Irish beach on Dingle Peninsula in sunlight
Coasteering
Coasteering jump
Coasteering cave

:blackdot:

Looking to go to Ireland in 2025 for my 60th birthday (pending my hip replacement surgery). Following intently.

there are some good suggestions from others
if you need help planning a trip or booking a group tour, please reach out to me as i am a travel consultant

Anyone do a combo scottland/ireland trip or are those 2 worthy of separate trips? Thinking more in the 2 week range. Both are on the radar but probably not for a few years until my girlfriend's daughter goes to college.

Anyone do a combo scottland/ireland trip or are those 2 worthy of separate trips? Thinking more in the 2 week range. Both are on the radar but probably not for a few years until my girlfriend's daughter goes to college.
I did both (along with a quick stop in Newcastle to watch a match) and they're both worthy of their own trips, but I don't regret doing both, either. There's never enough time to see everything worth seeing anywhere you go, anyway, so it depends on whether you want to do something like a city-centered Glasgow/Edinburgh and then Dublin, or try to focus on one country and see more of it.

I have done the combo trip
My honest opinion, if you have time and money , separate trips is always the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread