What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

possible lengthy food, supply shortages coming to the US? Latest: start hiding Sriracha (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1-10 how concerned are you about a food/supply shortage?

• 1-Not concerned at all. Business as usual.

Votes: 48 23.1%

Votes: 35 16.8%

Votes: 30 14.4%

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • 5-Mildly concerned, but not panicking. Stocking up on some non-perishable essentials.

Votes: 45 21.6%

Votes: 8 3.8%

Votes: 9 4.3%

Votes: 4 1.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-Stocking up on everything.

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters
Was at a Honda dealership last week looking for my daughter,  mgr said everything is about 3 k over msrp. They had a civic in the showroom with a 54k sticker, he said they marked it up that high so they could keep it in there. He said people are crazy right now
I bet you can get it for 50K, with floor mats.

I’d put you in the have to category but I’d think the number of out of town hockey tournament people with 180k miles on their Suburban is probably not a huge market. I’m sure there are a lot of people who don’t care. Either they have more than enough money or $50 extra a month doesn’t phase them as they can always get an 84 month payment or lease the car. I’m just surprised that the demand hasn’t dropped because it is so hard and you are paying a lot more. Maybe the supply is so short now that even with people waiting it’s still bad.

Here’s 🍺 to hoping that when I do need another car that there’s a glut of build up and everything is pennies on the dollar.
Yeah, I suspect production will be ramped up, when possible, so prices will drop, eventually…but that might be several years down the road.

Yeah, I suspect production will be ramped up, when possible, so prices will drop, eventually…but that might be several years down the road.
It won’t be soon.  Lots of raw materials already on allocation, lead times have doubled on some.  We have to forecast our entire 2022 usage and if you don’t ask for it you are going to have a hard time getting anything extra

Would have thought used cars would have started coming down by now…….at some point those who wanted a car bought one, credit card debt is at an all time……but judging by cars ive looked at, I think they’ve realistically gone up another 20% over the last couple months. 

I guess the real question is, what should/can the average consumer do about all this? Stock up on nonperishable food? Learn to hunt/farm? Drive less?

Took us three weeks to find dinner roles you bake in the oven. Had to go with Walmart brand. Local grocery store simply doesn't have them and even removed the spot on the shelf where they would normally be,

Crazy thing is based on the way they calculated inflation back in the 1980s, it’s currently running at 13%. The formula has been modified several times since then to make it appear less than it is. 

Took us three weeks to find dinner roles you bake in the oven. Had to go with Walmart brand. Local grocery store simply doesn't have them and even removed the spot on the shelf where they would normally be,

I mean you can make them yourself and avoid having yoga mats in your belly.

I guess the real question is, what should/can the average consumer do about all this? Stock up on nonperishable food? Learn to hunt/farm? Drive less?

Grow a garden scaled to one's size and space and practicality. For some people, they can install fruit trees. For others, it means micro greens in the balcony of their apartment. Everyone can grow something.

Depending on where you live and the situation, adding chickens to source eggs is a huge boon

Most local grocery stores still have "loss leaders" ( items placed on deep sale to bring customers into the store to buy lots of other things)

The first question is who has the time for this. Well, for those with teenagers, give them some responsibility. My godson was sorely disappointed when I sent our full time cook to do other things. When he was old enough, I gave him a budget and made him procure our groceries. If he wanted to eat the luxury items he liked, he had to figure out how to budget for it after storing up on essentials. He had to learn how to clip coupons, use the online rewards programs, figure out what was in season, how to check the clearance areas and how to get up early to go get the stuff. After the first six months, he was then responsible for stocking in and rotating our emergency reserve in house. I think it was a good experience in that I wanted him to understand how to do without. If it wasn't on sale, or not in season, then it just didn't fit the budget usually. Or if he wanted a luxury  type item, he had to game the budget and realize he could only pick one or two items if he wanted 10 different things.

I have "old man FU money" because I didn't go nuts like some NBA superstar and blow cash like it would always be rollling in like clockwork.

When he was young, I was busy with lots of work and we had that full time cook to shop, prepare, clean, store, rotate and manage. I didn't want him to take that for granted. When the time came to pull off those responsibilities, he began to appreciate how lucky he was that we lived in a  situation where we could buy any food we wanted, as much as we wanted and had someone to do the dirty work to prepare it for us.

I could buy eggs, but the kid needed to learn to get up early and feed the chickens, clean their situation, manage their health and take responsibility for another life. It actually pained me to start because I grew up and had to fend for myself. But I have a responsibility to teach him how to adapt.

The mantra is always the same - Adjust To Prosperity.

There's no reason why everyone here with a house and the space for it can't have a years reserve of long term emergency food and have it done on a practical budget. I'm not talking some scam website where they sell you buckets of oats and powdered eggs with a massive mark up.

A thought exercise I gave him was giving him 75 dollars and saying you have to figure out how to buy enough food to last us a month. That was sort of unpleasant to start, as our food budget with a cook was previously like 1000 a month with lots of organic/heavily curated products, but he figured it out. Obviously this was not done in 2021 cost structures. But play the game anyway. For purely single guys here, start at 150 a month and see how it goes. Then scale it down to 120 a month.

For some of you, give your kids some practical scaled responsibility and make it a game for them. Make it competitive for them. Then all the inherent lessons that come with it evolve naturally.

Nitrile gloves went from $32 for 1000 gloves to $164 for 1000 gloves during the height of the pandemic. I can get them now for $128/1000.
Funny you mention that Browns dude ( :hifive:  btw), wife and I were at Walmart this week and she uses vinyl disposable gloves quite a bit. She has skin issues so it's an easy way to keep hands dry when she's working in the kitchen. Anyhow, a box used to cost around $3-4. Then they disappeared during lockdown, have since come back but at $6-7 a box. This week we paid $12/box and bought three because we probably won't see them on the shelves again until January.

Yeah I think I'll end up buying a new one as well.  Just hard to pull the trigger paying that much over MSRP, but it is what it is I suppose.
Where are you paying over MSRP? Locally in Detroit I can find vehicles with discounts and promotions. Even on new Jeep Grand Cherokee L's. Am I missing something? 

Where are you paying over MSRP? Locally in Detroit I can find vehicles with discounts and promotions. Even on new Jeep Grand Cherokee L's. Am I missing something? 
For me, I paid sticker on mine - Ford F150. 

My friend at the dealership basically said the sticker was about 5K over what it would be in normal supply times. Considering a used one was only 5K less but had 45,000 miles made the decision easy.

And mine came with the really nice Ford fitted rubber floormats that cover all the inside carpet areas. Those alone gave me a boner.

Would have thought used cars would have started coming down by now…….at some point those who wanted a car bought one, credit card debt is at an all time……but judging by cars ive looked at, I think they’ve realistically gone up another 20% over the last couple months. 
Cars around here, especially new are barely staying in stock. Used car prices are still high. Some dealerships are just adding 5k above sticker because of demand, and people are buying them

I think I documented this in another thread, but used car prices are ridiculous.  Shopped for a first car for my son a few months ago.  You would not believe the absolute junk that dealerships are asking 8-12k for.

I'm talking about cars that haven't even been cleaned yet, windows don't roll down, A/C doesn't work, battery needed jumped to test drive, etc.

I think I documented this in another thread, but used car prices are ridiculous.  Shopped for a first car for my son a few months ago.  You would not believe the absolute junk that dealerships are asking 8-12k for.

I'm talking about cars that haven't even been cleaned yet, windows don't roll down, A/C doesn't work, battery needed jumped to test drive, etc.
I heard that from the girl that bought our Suburban. We ended up getting $4700 for a car that in normal times would be worth about $3500.

She said it was the only one she looked at that looked good. Of course we aren't slobs, but I had vaccummed everything out, Armor-alled all of the interior and the tires...basically made it look good.

Had newer tires on it and it's been taken care of. But yeah, when I was looking at pricing this thing out and some of the pics I saw online for comparables were absolute junk. 

I heard that from the girl that bought our Suburban. We ended up getting $4700 for a car that in normal times would be worth about $3500.

She said it was the only one she looked at that looked good. Of course we aren't slobs, but I had vaccummed everything out, Armor-alled all of the interior and the tires...basically made it look good.

Had newer tires on it and it's been taken care of. But yeah, when I was looking at pricing this thing out and some of the pics I saw online for comparables were absolute junk. 
My dad died last year and mom wanted to get rid of his truck.  He had a 2011 3500 Dodge Ram dually that he used to pull the camper or a trailer and that's essentially all he ever used it for.  He'd run it on the highway a couple times a year without anything behind it just to clean it out a bit.

He bought that truck for $38k.  It had low miles and was the last model year to not have the DEF included, so it was pretty well sought after but still....  I sold it for mom this summer for $45k.  Dad used a truck for 8 years and made money on it... Prices are insane.

Here’s an example.

This one I couldn’t roll the windows down as one of the rims was bent halfway off. Language NSFW

Went to the grocery store today to pick up some farfalle for a tasty pasta salad we like. I normally get the Barilla brand, but they didnt have any, so had to get the store brand.

Buy a 5 gallon bucket of freeze dried food and bury it in my yard?

shuke said:
Heading to Costco after work.  They haven't had Kirkland toilet paper the last 4 times I've been.  Time to panic?

Kirkland toilet paper AND paper towels were there.  Jackpot!

shuke said:
Heading to Costco after work.  They haven't had Kirkland toilet paper the last 4 times I've been.  Time to panic?
Plenty at my location yesterday. Still pissed that they haven't been selling the cans of cold brew, but Marie Calendar's pot pies are on sale :thumbup:

encaitar said:
ChiefD said:

My dad died last year and mom wanted to get rid of his truck.  He had a 2011 3500 Dodge Ram dually that he used to pull the camper or a trailer and that's essentially all he ever used it for.  He'd run it on the highway a couple times a year without anything behind it just to clean it out a bit.

He bought that truck for $38k.  It had low miles and was the last model year to not have the DEF included, so it was pretty well sought after but still....  I sold it for mom this summer for $45k.  Dad used a truck for 8 years and made money on it... Prices are insane.
What is the best way to sell a used car these days? I have a wheel hub bearing that is worn out that I probably should get fixed for a better price.

Facebook Marketplace. I put it on there on a Friday night and when I woke up I had 12 inquiries. First person that showed up bought it but I had 3 other people coming the same day.
Would be a little nervous with that angle, but seems like it would get the most money. I had a painful experience buying a car from a private party years ago.

Would be a little nervous with that angle, but seems like it would get the most money. I had a painful experience buying a car from a private party years ago.
I actually like it because I can see the person before they come over and get an idea of the cut of their jib. I probably should have met them somewhere but I had beer and I keep a long broom stick inside my garage door in case I need to wack someone.

I actually like it because I can see the person before they come over and get an idea of the cut of their jib. I probably should have met them somewhere but I had beer and I keep a long broom stick inside my garage door in case I need to wack someone.
one of my favorite all-time phrases in the English language. Big kudos to you , sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea why I even got in the car.  I was getting desperate at this point, looking for a diamond in the rough.
Yeah, that was pretty gross. Hard to believe they had it on the lot in that condition. Looked like homeless people were living in it.

Man, my local Sam's Club was down to a half pallett of TP around noon today, and paper towels were not found.  Maybe the local crew was slow to replenish stock, but I trucked five miles down the road to Costco to finish my shopping.  Costco looked okay on TP and PT, but it was not exactly brimming.

End result, I spent $600 today on groceries and household goods today.  Outside of fresh produce, eggs, and bread, I'm not dropping another dime on groceries until 2022 arrives. 

Users who are viewing this thread