What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Position strategy for 2015 snake draft (RB heavy, upside down, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Which describes your most likely snake draft strategy?

• RB, RB, WR

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • RB, RB, QB or TE

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • RB, WR, WR

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • RB, WR, RB

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • RB, WR, QB or TE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WR, WR, RB

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • WR, WR, QB or TE

• WR, RB, RB

• WR, RB, WR

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • WR, RB, QB or TE

• TE, RB, RB

• TE, RB, WR

• TE, WR, WR

• TE, WR, RB

• Other

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

jumper

Footballguy
Anonymous poll, trying to get a sense of what positional draft strategies people plan to use in this year's draft and how prevalent "upside down draft" is going to be this year.

For sake of argument, presume 12 team .5PPR redraft with 4 pt QB passing TD and roster positions are 2xRB and WR, 1xQB, TE, and Flex. Further presume that Gronk requires a Rd1 pick, Luck and Rodgers are available at the 2/3 turn, and Jimmy Graham can be had in the 3rd. If your strategy depends on what draft position you pick from please specify 1-12 in your comments.

Other.

I have a personal top 60 list that I follow. After that I worry about filling out positions.

Depends how the draft is going. You need to go in with a plan, but also can't be afraid to zig when everyone else is zagging

The big thing I've noticed doing 12-team mocks is that you NEED to take at least 1 RB in the first two rounds.

This is of course partly because I'm a die-hard RB guy, I still fully believe they are the key to winning fantasy.

Regardless, I personally can't feel good about my team if I don't have a solid #1 RB.

Going WR-WR, especially when picking at the end of a draft, seems to be very popular these days. But to me, it's all about supply and demand. There are TONS of good WRs out there right now, and very few stud RBs. In say round 6 of a 12-teamer, there will be lots of servicable WRs left but very few RBs.

Basically I think that the RBs I get in rounds 1-2 will outscore the RBs you get in rounds 4-6 by more than your 1-2nd round WRs outscore my round 3-4 WRs.

The big thing I've noticed doing 12-team mocks is that you NEED to take at least 1 RB in the first two rounds.

This is of course partly because I'm a die-hard RB guy, I still fully believe they are the key to winning fantasy.

Regardless, I personally can't feel good about my team if I don't have a solid #1 RB.

Going WR-WR, especially when picking at the end of a draft, seems to be very popular these days. But to me, it's all about supply and demand. There are TONS of good WRs out there right now, and very few stud RBs. In say round 6 of a 12-teamer, there will be lots of servicable WRs left but very few RBs.

Basically I think that the RBs I get in rounds 1-2 will outscore the RBs you get in rounds 4-6 by more than your 1-2nd round WRs outscore my round 3-4 WRs.
It seems we go through this every year and people just refuse to accept it or too ignorant to figure it out. The flame out rate for the first few rounds of RB is well over 60%. That is too high of a number with too much risk that early in the draft. Get a top qb or top WR and work the rb angle when everyone else is filling out their rosters. Its not a hard concept and is proven money.

I hear you but in my 12 team PPR league we start 1Rb 1Wr 3 flex Rb/Wr, so when I set my board I don't separate Rb and Wr, I just group them together and just call the position flex position then draft bpa from there following VBD. So I may not draft a Rb til 6th Rd.

in non PPR im going back to my tried and trusted RB/RB/RB start that I've done for years, successfully.

deviated from it the last 2 years, but time to go back

Last edited by a moderator:
In my league where I have to start 3 WRs and can start a 4th as a Flex I like to load up on WRs. I only need 2 decent RBs to start and can pick up whatever up-and-coming RB is out there when I need to. I'm not saying I don't like having a top RB on my team but I'm just not sold that my chances are good landing one in the first two rounds. I feel my chances are better with a high end WR.

in non PPR im going back to my tried and trusted RB/RB/RB start that I've done for years, successfully.

deviated from it the last 2 years, but time to go back
I would love to see your team after the draft. A benchmark if you will.

I think that strategy started in the late 90's and the upside down draft was an off shoot of that. People realized that too many quality wr's were dropping because of it so teams loaded up on wr and then figured out the rb situation later in the season when the inevitable injuries kicked in.

BPA for 3rd and beyond, but first two rounds, don't we all basically know the decisions facing us before we pick and have a plan for the first 2 rounds. Sure, there are those times when someone shocks you and falls into your lap, but I would assume people kind of have a plan.

As much as I would love a concrete plan-- I find that I tend to do better when I do research on players--but be nimble with my decisions when how i see the draft is going. One of my main leagues has 6pt passing tds which tempts a lot of guys to draft qb's in the first two rounds in the past--and I'd been able to clean up when that happened. I also won't know my draft position until the night of the draft. If I get a top 3 pick in a non-ppr draft--I'll probably go rb--but if I find myself in the latter part of the first round--I might go WR--so I really couldn't answer your poll just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

You need to pick the right players. How did people that went Peterson/Ball or Peterson/Martin do last year?

It seems we go through this every year and people just refuse to accept it or too ignorant to figure it out. The flame out rate for the first few rounds of RB is well over 60%. That is too high of a number with too much risk that early in the draft. Get a top qb or top WR and work the rb angle when everyone else is filling out their rosters. Its not a hard concept and is proven money.
:rolleyes:

3 of the top 6 and 13 of the top 20 WR's by ADP were also colossal flameouts. And you weren't getting much traction with Brees (QB3), Stafford (QB5), or Foles (QB6), either. It's like every year some knucklehead comes in shouting stats from last year as if they were time-tested truisms.

Do the best you can to stock up on players that you think will make a difference, with preference going toward those slots where scarcity plays the biggest role. The above-mentioned "proven money" is just pure crap.

This year, from most slots, preference ought to be given to RB's, with the top two QB's as the only outliers. If and only if all of those elude you, then consider WR/Gronk angles.

:rolleyes:

3 of the top 6 and 13 of the top 20 WR's by ADP were also colossal flameouts. And you weren't getting much traction with Brees (QB3), Stafford (QB5), or Foles (QB6), either. It's like every year some knucklehead comes in shouting stats from last year as if they were time-tested truisms.

Do the best you can to stock up on players that you think will make a difference, with preference going toward those slots where scarcity plays the biggest role. The above-mentioned "proven money" is just pure crap.

This year, from most slots, preference ought to be given to RB's, with the top two QB's as the only outliers. If and only if all of those elude you, then consider WR/Gronk angles.
Um, what?

Marshall, Green, & Calvin are the top 3 he was referring, I guess. Calvin finished WR15, which is not worth the 1st round pick he cost last year.

For me, it just depends on who is there. So far, i have only drafted from the 7th position and i expected to go WR except Bell fell to me and I felt I couldn't pass him, then in the 2nd Rd i was again prepared to go WR, except Lynch fell and i couldn't pass him up. My WRs are going to be consistent points scores, doubtful i get huge weeks, doubtful in getting duds, but my RBs are the bread n butter of this team so i grabbed there backups and i should be a contender till the end

Users who are viewing this thread