What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philadelphia at Dallas (1 Viewer)

Maybe viewed by you.  I think just about everyone else on the planet who has seen him play knows that he's going to be a star.
Lots of QBs are viewed as stars.

How good is Wentz going to be long-term? Lots of unasnswered questions yet. Again, this isn't FF.

We're only months removed from a QB who was struggling last season when personnel wasn't as good (Wentz).

I'm curious to see how this season plays out (how Wentz performs, especially in the playoffs).

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of QBs are viewed as stars.

How good is Wentz going to be long-term? Lots of unasnswered questions yet. Again, this isn't FF.

We're only months removed from a QB who was struggling last season when personnel wasn't as good (Wentz).

I'm curious to see how this season plays out (how Wentz performs, especially in the playoffs).
Does that mean if he doesn't win the Super Bowl, he just isn't that good?  :lmao:

If being responsible for 21 TDs (16 through the air & 5 on the ground) is coming back to earth, I'll take it. :)  

Wentz has 25 passing TDs (none on the ground) & hasn't faced near the adversity Dak has this season. You guys have a good OL & a good running game, too. Wentz is the benefit of both just like Dak is when Tyrone & Zeke are in there. When Wentz didn't have the protection he does now & as good of a running game (like last season), he struggled.

The difference between Wentz & Dak right now is fairly negligible & there's no way to determine who'll be the better long-term QB at this point. Nitpicking, Dak is definitely more accurate  (forgot who it was, but even one of your coaches said Dak was the most accurate young passer he's ever seen). Dak is also a stronger runner which especially helps around the GL. Intangibles are too close to call right now.

Talking strictly NFL prospect, Dak has the edge due to being more accurate & being a stronger runner. We're talking about one of the biggest draft steals of all time. As far as FF, I prefer Wentz ever so slightly, but that's simply due to situation. I think you guys are going to utilize the pass more than we do over the long-haul because of Zeke.

Bottom line, each of us should feel very fortunate.
Feel like your vision is clouded slightly by silver and blue....but I'd be pretty happy to have stolen Dak for a fourth if I were a Cowboys fan.

Wentz has a history of performing well in big games in college, and he's every bit the runner Dak is...and maybe more. Have you noticed how many improbable escapes he's made? And some of those throws he's made with men draped all over him are incredible. IN a vacuum, Dak is slightly more accurate, but it seems like the stats lie a little....Eagles WRs are much better then last year, but not exactly dominate, and still have too many drops. Wentz might be one of those rare QBs who makes everyone around him better. Dak strikes me as a quality young passer you can build around, but isn't going to shoulder a team on his own.

Still early in their careers though, and no reason to disparage either passer. BOTH teams appear to have hit gold.

Remember when it was apparent Zeke was going to have to serve his suspension and the talking point was "well Dak's gonna have to up his game and carry this team on his back".  And all the national pundits said the team was more than just Zeke, Dak's capable.

Two games in, it hasn't gone as planned.
Last night I give credit where credit is due.....the Eagles D.  They were great.  Constantly getting pressure on Dak with 4 guys, plus their secondary is one of the best in the league.  I expected Dak to struggle last night (but that bad). 

so does anybody believe the outcome would have been different if the Cowboys were healthy? maybe get another TD, or at least one of those FGs becomes a TD, but really i don't think anything else changes
With Lee in there, Eagles probably would not have run as effectively.  In games with Lee during his career, Cowboys give up 3.5 ypc.  Without him, it's 5.5.

Feel like your vision is clouded slightly by silver and blue....but I'd be pretty happy to have stolen Dak for a fourth if I were a Cowboys fan.

Wentz has a history of performing well in big games in college, and he's every bit the runner Dak is...and maybe more. Have you noticed how many improbable escapes he's made? And some of those throws he's made with men draped all over him are incredible. IN a vacuum, Dak is slightly more accurate, but it seems like the stats lie a little....Eagles WRs are much better then last year, but not exactly dominate, and still have too many drops. Wentz might be one of those rare QBs who makes everyone around him better. Dak strikes me as a quality young passer you can build around, but isn't going to shoulder a team on his own.

Still early in their careers though, and no reason to disparage either passer. BOTH teams appear to have hit gold.
Yeah, Wentz is a very good scrambler & is fairly elusive as a runner, but Dak's edge there comes from being much more dangerous around the GL. Really tough to defend.

Dak is simply a bigger & stronger runner which is especially important around the GL.

That was my only point as far as their running ability.

Correct.  I'm not even knocking Dak but after this small sample size of just 2 games it looks like he needs to have 3 all-pro OL (not pro bowl, all-pro) and the best RB in the game to look his best.  As soon as that's taken away he looks awful. I would be more on board if he looked just average....but he looks very, very bad without top of the line support. Again, it's a small sample size.  He has 4 more games without Zeke and will face lesser competition.  Lets see what he can do.
this

Yeah, Wentz is a very good scrambler & is fairly elusive as a runner, but Dak's edge there comes from being much more dangerous around the GL. Really tough to defend.

Dak is simply a bigger & stronger runner which is especially important around the GL.

That was my only point as far as their running ability.
Dak Prescott

Rayne Dakota Prescott  (The Fortress)

Position: QB Throws: Right

6-2, 226lb (188cm, 102kg)

Carson Wentz

Carson Wentz

6-5, 237lb (196cm, 107kg)

Dak Prescott

Carson Wentz

Carson Wentz

Wentz' size and strength catch defenders by surprise because he appears to be tall and lanky.  Prescott has thick thighs and looks more powerful to the eye.  Wentz is a strong and tough mother-blanker. In fact, I cringe a lot of times when he decides to lower a shoulder to blast an oncoming safety. I really hope he smartens up in that regard. He did make a nice choice with that slide in the first half after gaining a first down. 

Much of Dak's "problems" can be traced to a deteriorating receiving corps. The fact he's just 4 total TDs behind Wentz is astonishing. It just goes to show what kind of upside he's got. 

Let's face it, Wentz looked poorly in the 1st half & only was able to salvage things as Dallas' run D finally collapsed without Lee in the 2nd half. Wentz has a lot of things to straighten out before he's considered one of the best QBs in the NFL as a straight player (not FF). Like a LONG way to go yet.

I own him in a couple dynasty leagues & I'm curious to see how he does in the playoffs. I don't think Wentz is nearly as close as everyone thinks. I own him in 2 dynasty leagues, but there's a vast difference between straight NFL talent & being a top FF QB. He's certainly a top FF QB, but this isn't what we're discussing.
Alot of weak excuses, Dallas has just as good of a receiving corp and their Oline went from best the league has seen in years to still good. The trend isn't good for Dak. 

You're blind to the situation. Totally blind, LOL.

I just explained how Wentz wouldn't even be in the same ballpark production-wise if he didn't have an improved OL & a vastly upgraded receiving corps.

I could care less who plays for who. I have no problem admitting Wentz is the superior FF QB right now, but Dak has a slight (but clear) edge as a prospect given the same offense & same personnel. 

That said, opinions will vary as I mentioned before, but anybody who says it's not close (either way), has an agenda or is a bonafide homer (which is the most likely scenario whether a Philly fan or Dallas fan).
This guy on drugs??

I think Wentz is better than Dak.  Wentz might already be the best QB in football.  If not, he likely will be in the near future.  But man at least based on what I saw last night, Wentz's receivers seem to be far more reliable than Dak's.  Wentz makes great throws and his receivers seem to always come through.  Dak was let down by his receivers quite a bit in the first half.  Not sure if that has been going on all season but it sounds like it (from the Dallas fans posts).  
The best qb in football? Did Brady and Rodgers and Brees and some others retire?  

Wentz is certainly already one of the better young QBs in the league so that  is saying quite a lot but he still has a long way way to go to be the best qb in football.  He is benefiting by a very good team playing well like now but he doesn't look more impressive than Dak did last year at this time (just as a comparison to show how quickly things swing and circumstances change things) or Matt Ryan last year.  There's a lot that goes into it  

He good. He's very good and promising but I wouldn't say he's better than a good handful of QBs when they and their team are playing well. He's more like Matt Stafford, Jared Goff good right now.  

Yes he's on a team getting a lot of attention and doing well. He's thrown a lot of TDS and fantasy owners love that, but he's not in the top in yards or percentage completed.  He does have a good qb rating, etc, I see the idea of what you're saying but to say he is the bestie a bit of a stretch.  In my opinion, there's probably nobody playing better with what they have than Russell Wilson and Phillip rivers right now so there's a legit 10 QBs out there that I think put up a good challenge to the best qb playing right now thought.  

The best qb in football? Did Brady and Rodgers and Brees and some others retire?  

Wentz is certainly already one of the better young QBs in the league so that  is saying quite a lot but he still has a long way way to go to be the best qb in football.  He is benefiting by a very good team playing well like now but he doesn't look more impressive than Dak did last year at this time (just as a comparison to show how quickly things swing and circumstances change things) or Matt Ryan last year.  There's a lot that goes into it  

He good. He's very good and promising but I wouldn't say he's better than a good handful of QBs when they and their team are playing well. He's more like Matt Stafford, Jared Goff good right now.  

Yes he's on a team getting a lot of attention and doing well. He's thrown a lot of TDS and fantasy owners love that, but he's not in the top in yards or percentage completed.  He does have a good qb rating, etc, I see the idea of what you're saying but to say he is the bestie a bit of a stretch.  In my opinion, there's probably nobody playing better with what they have than Russell Wilson and Phillip rivers right now so there's a legit 10 QBs out there that I think put up a good challenge to the best qb playing right now thought.  
You could have stopped after your first two sentences. Because at that point, you named the quarterbacks who are better than Wentz at this point. Not suire about 2017 Brees though. But I'll give it to him based on lifetime achievement. 

You are right about another thing. Things can change quickly. Like you said, Matt Ryan was great last year. That seems to be more of an outlier though based on his career. With Wentz, we don't have a history of mediocrity to look back on.   I don't think Wentz is the best QB in the league, but I think he's the front runner for league MVP right now. 

JuniorNB said:
You could have stopped after your first two sentences. Because at that point, you named the quarterbacks who are better than Wentz at this point. Not suire about 2017 Brees though. But I'll give it to him based on lifetime achievement. 

You are right about another thing. Things can change quickly. Like you said, Matt Ryan was great last year. That seems to be more of an outlier though based on his career. With Wentz, we don't have a history of mediocrity to look back on.   I don't think Wentz is the best QB in the league, but I think he's the front runner for league MVP right now. 
Yeah, MVPs go to guys in Wnetz's position. Like Ryan last year. I don't have any issue saying he's a leader in that race. I'm not a Seahawks fan but I'd sayWilson is the other choice in that race. I don't think the Hawks could win 3-4 games without him as they are currently. 

GoBirds said:
Alot of weak excuses, Dallas has just as good of a receiving corp and their Oline went from best the league has seen in years to still good. The trend isn't good for Dak. 
Wow. You really think our receiving corps is good overall?

You might go ask some Cowboys fans what they think about their receiving corps.

It's decent, but not a plus receiving corps at all.

Amused to Death said:
Dak Prescott

Carson Wentz

Carson Wentz

Not talking about height, LOL

He's much stronger runner & a much bigger threat around the GL.

rjv said:
This guy on drugs??
It baffles me people believe Wentz is clearly the better prospect. That said, everyone has an opinion & that's ok.

I'll take him in FF (& have), but it's too close to call as prospects, although, I think Dak has a clear edge in accuracy & as a runner (specifically around the GL).

The other things are too close to call right now.

JuniorNB said:
Probably a combination of blind homerism and a bit of trolling to make himself feel better after last night.
If you know me, you know I'm not a troll.

Open your eyes & believe someone else just might like Dak slightly better than Wentz as a prospect right now. It's not an outlandish opinion.

I love Wentz & own him in two dynasty leagues & purposely took him over Dak.

RELAAAX (Aaron Rodgers syle).

JuniorNB said:
Wentz' size and strength catch defenders by surprise because he appears to be tall and lanky.  Prescott has thick thighs and looks more powerful to the eye.  Wentz is a strong and tough mother-blanker. In fact, I cringe a lot of times when he decides to lower a shoulder to blast an oncoming safety. I really hope he smartens up in that regard. He did make a nice choice with that slide in the first half after gaining a first down. 
Agreed, I lose my mind when they call a designed run too. You've got an elite o-line and RBs who wreck ### inside the tackles, please protect that QB. 

It baffles me people believe Wentz is clearly the better prospect. That said, everyone has an opinion & that's ok.

I'll take him in FF (& have), but it's too close to call as prospects, although, I think Dak has a clear edge in accuracy & as a runner (specifically around the GL).

The other things are too close to call right now.
So close that 7 out of 8 general managers in the NFL chose Wentz. And the 8th was only because he didn't want it to be unanimous. LOL and did you check out the poll results from here? It's a landslide. They're not even in the same conversation buddy.

So close that 7 out of 8 general managers in the NFL chose went. And the 8th was only because he didn't want it to be unanimous. LOL and did you check out the poll results from here? It's a landslide. They're not even in the same conversation buddy.
Yeah, I'd expect these results in a poll with Wentz' draft status & the Eagles record. Totally predictable & no surprise.

As far as GMs, obviously they're going to choose Wentz. They had a higher grade on Wentz. We had a higher grade on Wentz, LOL.

Fortunately, draft status is just that. It's simply the order in which you were drafted.

Even more fortunately for us, Dak will very likely go down as one the best draft picks of all time.

Yeah, I'd expect these results in a poll with Wentz' draft status & the Eagles record. Totally predictable & no surprise.

As far as GMs, obviously they're going to choose Wentz. They had a higher grade on Wentz. We had a higher grade on Wentz, LOL.

Fortunately, draft status is just that. It's simply the order in which you were drafted.

Even more fortunately for us, Dak will very likely go down as one the best draft picks of all time.
Haha. You'e adorable. 

I agree Dak is a good QB but saying he will go down as one of the best draft pick of all time is really premature due to the fact this game alone showed he needs a RB of Zeks status to be serviceable 

I agree Dak is a good QB but saying he will go down as one of the best draft pick of all time is really premature due to the fact this game alone showed he needs a RB of Zeks status to be serviceable 
Servicable? That's a backhanded compliment, LOL.

He doesn't need Zeke to be good. In fact, Dak would be more prolific WITHOUT Zeke as far as passing stats simply because they would need him more. What he needs is decent pass protection like any other QB (Tyrone Smith will solve that problem).

Regardless, I didn't hear the negative comments about Dak after weeks 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, & 9. All tremendous performances before the injury to Smith.

Even the Phiily coach said Dak was the most accurate young passer he's ever seen. Combine that with his running ability (specifically around the GL) & he's REALLY tough to defend.

That's why I'd take him over Wentz if they both were in the same offense with the same personnel. Wentz is great, but Dak has the edge in today's NFL, IMO.

He doesn't need Zeke to be good. In fact, Dak would be more prolific WITHOUT Zeke as far as passing stats simply because they would need him more. What he needs is decent pass protection like any other QB (Tyrone Smith will solve that problem).

Regardless, I didn't hear the negative comments about Dak after weeks 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, & 9. All tremendous performances before the injury to Smith.

Even the Phiily coach said Dak was the most accurate young passer he's ever seen. Combine that with his running ability (specifically around the GL) & he's REALLY tough to defend.

That's why I'd take him over Wentz if they both were in the same offense with the same personnel. Wentz is great, but Dak has the edge in today's NFL, IMO.
Yeah he sure was tough to defend the other night.   :P

For the record, the coach said he was the most accurate passer 'on the run' that he's seen.  Not the most accurate.  Also, Prescott has absolutely shown he needs an elite back AND line to be proficient..  0 TDs and 4 turnover is Jamarcus Russell-like.  

For the record, the coach said he was the most accurate passer 'on the run' that he's seen.  Not the most accurate.  Also, Prescott has absolutely shown he needs an elite back AND line to be proficient..  0 TDs and 4 turnover is Jamarcus Russell-like.  
So far. No one knows yet if he has the capacity to learn to do with less

To be fair, you have to give him more than a sample of 2 games to make this type of conclusion.  

To be fair, you have to give him more than a sample of 2 games to make this type of conclusion.  
I realize that. I've stated many times that I think Prescott has a bright future. I'm just making sure the troll understands that no one is buying what he's desperately trying to sell. 

Shutout said:

Agree with the beginning, but he is definitely in a different tier than Stafford and Goff.  The thing that is not necessarily in the stats is that he just has such tremendous poise, game management, and real-time mental processing and pattern recognition.  And he has had that since the first game he stepped on the field.  The Eagles have given him a great environment to nurture and develop his talent, for sure, but he his in-game awareness is really outstanding.

Ok I can see this conversation is going nowhere. You have your opinion, even if there is zero facts to back it up, and we have ours. Have fun on your world?

Ok I can see this conversation is going nowhere. You have your opinion, even if there is zero facts to back it up, and we have ours. Have fun on your world?
His top five all-time quarterbacks:

1. Troy Aikman  2. Roger Staubach  3. Dak Prescott  4. Danny White  5. Quincy Carter    :lmao:

Agree with the beginning, but he is definitely in a different tier than Stafford and Goff.  The thing that is not necessarily in the stats is that he just has such tremendous poise, game management, and real-time mental processing and pattern recognition.  And he has had that since the first game he stepped on the field.  The Eagles have given him a great environment to nurture and develop his talent, for sure, but he his in-game awareness is really outstanding.
As much as I love Wentz, and believe he will soon belong in these types of conversations, it's a stretch to consider him top 3 or 4 just yet. A guy who gets left out of this conversation far too often and yet absolutely deserves to be considered top 3 is Matt Stafford.

As much as I love Wentz, and believe he will soon belong in these types of conversations, it's a stretch to consider him top 3 or 4 just yet. A guy who gets left out of this conversation far too often and yet absolutely deserves to be considered top 3 is Matt Stafford.
I'd have him around 7 or 8.  He's been at it too long without really leading his team anywhere. I appreciate his talent, but can't put him near the very top.

I'd have him around 7 or 8.  He's been at it too long without really leading his team anywhere. I appreciate his talent, but can't put him near the very top.
He's had some pretty sub-par teams and club leadership around him too. Look at how many fourth qtr come-backs he's had and his overall numbers. I understand your argument, but it's crazy to leave him out of the conversation altogether

You're right in the first part, I guess I am thinking about it more like which guy would I most want on my team, and not necessarily current total skill level/accomplishments.  And I just think that the intangibles that Wentz shows are greater than what I have ever seen from Stafford.

It's clear that FJ has no sense of this at all because he hasn't watched him play except against Dallas. His take is patently absurd to anyone who has watched Wentz play regularly. 

You're right in the first part, I guess I am thinking about it more like which guy would I most want on my team, and not necessarily current total skill level/accomplishments.  And I just think that the intangibles that Wentz shows are greater than what I have ever seen from Stafford.
I get that. He's certainly more likable and seems to have elite leadership qualities. Stafford has an elite arm though, and has shown an ability to perform under extreme pressure.

I still have Stafford a ahair above Wentz....which is hardly a negative against Wentz...he's a second year player being compared to one of the NFLs elite QBs here! If you asked me which QB I'd rather have on my roster...it's Carson based on his youth and an upside that is superior to what Stafford has shown. BUt it's still that....UPSIDE.

I get that. He's certainly more likable and seems to have elite leadership qualities. Stafford has an elite arm though, and has shown an ability to perform under extreme pressure.

I still have Stafford a ahair above Wentz....which is hardly a negative against Wentz...he's a second year player being compared to one of the NFLs elite QBs here! If you asked me which QB I'd rather have on my roster...it's Carson based on his youth and an upside that is superior to what Stafford has shown. BUt it's still that....UPSIDE.
stafford has also been in the league for years and hasn't done squat in terms of winning games.  had his most prolific years with a hall of fame WR.

give me wentz

On the run, in the pocket, my point is Dak is a naturally more accurate paper. Much better release than Wentz. Not even close, although, Wentz has tightened it up slightly. Also, being a much bigger threat around the GL as a runner is huge in today's NFL.

For those 2 reasons, I'm taking Dak over Wentz as a prospect if both had the same personnel despite preferring Wentz in FF (as things stand now).

----------

BTW, from what I've seen, you're one of the biggest trolls on here. You're constantly trying to inflame people. I have news for you...it simply doesn't work.

Go back to talking football & everyone will be better off, including yourself.

You're giving Eagles fans a bad name, most of whom I find respectable.

I'm not sure where I'd rank Dak & Wentz right now, whom are virtually tied right now. Dak is a little easier to rank high at this point because he doesn't have the release that you constantly have to monitor.

I watch nearly all of the Eagles games (because of Wentz) & I catch myself cringing at times wondering if he's is going to sail one. I will say I'm mostly over it, but still catch myself cringing even though Wentz doesn't do it nearly as often.

I don't believe you can rank either one super-high right now. I typically don't like ranking guys, but you can't put either one on the same level as the top QBs like Brady, Rodgers, etc. No way.

I see people talking Wentz, but he's got a long, LONG way to go (as much as I'd like to see it as an FF owner).

Users who are viewing this thread