What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning (1 Viewer)

In addition to Manning and Favre, Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas each also won the AP NFL MVP award 3 times.

And the AP award began in 1957. Before that, the UPI NFL MVP award was the only NFL MVP award from 1948 to 1956 (though they did not actually award it in 1949, 1950, and 1952 for some reason). Otto Graham won 3 UPI NFL MVP awards over that span.

Of course, when Graham, Brown, and Unitas won their awards, there was a lot less competition, since there were many fewer teams in the league.

Here is how the voting went:

Peyton Manning 32

Michael Turner 4

Chad Pennington 4

James Harrison 3

Adrian Peterson 3

Philip Rivers 2

Kurt Warner 1

Chris Johnson 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Brees isn't on there because you've got to be amongst the top NFL teams to get the award.

Honestly though, I think the Colts mid/late season success is more directly linked to the return of Bob Sanders than Peyton doing his usual thing but what Sanders contributes on the field is more difficult to measure with statistics. He just makes plays when plays need to be made.

Brees isn't on there because you've got to be amongst the top NFL teams to get the award.

Honestly though, I think the Colts mid/late season success is more directly linked to the return of Bob Sanders than Peyton doing his usual thing but what Sanders contributes on the field is more difficult to measure with statistics. He just makes plays when plays need to be made.
In 2006 I would agree with you, but Sanders has missed more time than you know, and when he did play he hasn't made that big of a difference this year.

Peyton Manning 32

Michael Turner 4

Chad Pennington 4

James Harrison 3

Adrian Peterson 3

Philip Rivers 2

Kurt Warner 1

Chris Johnson 1
What do you guys think about Chad tying for second in the voting? I know it's a null point because Peyton won in a landslide, but does he deserve this much recognition? I realize he was great as a game manager and all but didn't the defense play a large part in their turnaround as well? I don't follow the Dolphins at all so I don't know much about how deserving he is, just curious.

Peyton Manning 32

Michael Turner 4

Chad Pennington 4

James Harrison 3

Adrian Peterson 3

Philip Rivers 2

Kurt Warner 1

Chris Johnson 1
What do you guys think about Chad tying for second in the voting? I know it's a null point because Peyton won in a landslide, but does he deserve this much recognition? I realize he was great as a game manager and all but didn't the defense play a large part in their turnaround as well? I don't follow the Dolphins at all so I don't know much about how deserving he is, just curious.
The team threw alot more than you'd realize based on personnel. They actually seemed to get away from pounding the ball, and even the whole wildcat thing in favor of letting Pennington make plays with his arm. He actually threw for a career high in yardage, and posted the 2nd best passer rating of his career. Also, you consider his team was 1-15 a year ago, and now they're in the playoffs, and he's definitely a major factor in that. It's not completely undeserved he got that many votes.I know Warner had 2 bad games, and at the wrong time, but I was surprised he didn't do better in the voting. 4500 Yards and 30 TDs, while leading a Cardinals team that wasn't exactly a playoff regular back to the post season was worth more recognition IMO.

That's not to take anything away from Peyton. The Cardinals started well and finished so/so, the Colts had the uphill climb to deal with, and one of the best teams in football in their division. The Cardinals had a few of the worst. The Cardinals didn't have a great running attack, but the two teams finished 31st and 32nd in the league in rushing. Props and congratulations to Peyton for an amazing finish to the season.

If people really think this was the best option, then the NFL was devoid of stars this year. In any normal year, Manning wouldn't have been considered.

Here is how the voting went:Peyton Manning 32Michael Turner 4Chad Pennington 4James Harrison 3Adrian Peterson 3Philip Rivers 2Kurt Warner 1Chris Johnson 1
At least two voters were able to see past the ESPN highlight reels and vote for the player who had the best year and led his team to the playoffs almost singlehandedly....

Here is how the voting went:Peyton Manning 32Michael Turner 4Chad Pennington 4James Harrison 3Adrian Peterson 3Philip Rivers 2Kurt Warner 1Chris Johnson 1
At least two voters were able to see past the ESPN highlight reels and vote for the player who had the best year and led his team to the playoffs almost singlehandedly....
Please. Go find a codepink rally.
I agree that Peyton Manning is a better player than Philip Rivers. But Rivers had a better season in 2008 than Peyton Manning did. Period.

cough...bull####.....cough
I agree, why is he any more deserving than Rivers?
This gets back to debating who you think SHOULD win the MVP versus acknowledging as fans what players usually DO win. I can understand arguing that Manning didn't have the best year, but the AP MVP award almost always goes to a top player [usually QB] on one of the top offenses on one of the best teams. Is that fair since it's an individual award? Probably not, but it's always been that way. The Chargers were a sub-.500 team until the last game of the year, a QB from that kind of team has no shot at winning the MVP award.
If people really think this was the best option, then the NFL was devoid of stars this year. In any normal year, Manning wouldn't have been considered.
1) The MVP award isn't a reward for star power2) Peyton Manning is about as big a star as the NFL has [name another guy with his endorsement deals]3) Manning was one of the best QBs on one of the best teams in the league, of course he would be considered every year. The only QBs that were on part with him played for 2nd tier or non-contending teams [Rivers included], what's the surprise here?

I agree that Peyton Manning is a better player than Philip Rivers. But Rivers had a better season in 2008 than Peyton Manning did. Period.
Statistically?Consider, Rivers team is 8-8, in the AFC West. Peyton's is 12-4--in the AFC South. That says alot.

The right guy won it. Congrats to Manning and Colts fans.

Glad to see Pennigton got some love finishing 2nd. :goodposting:

He deserved it this season.

Rivers, Pennington and a couple of other players were also deserving but I can't understand why people believe Manning didn't earn it this year.

I can't believe that Chris Johnson got a vote. Guy had a great rookie season and was an exciting player on a great team, but he's not even close to being an MVP candidate. Heck, the defensive line deserved a vote more than Johnson.

Statistically?Consider, Rivers team is 8-8, in the AFC West. Peyton's is 12-4--in the AFC South. That says alot.
Posted this a few days ago:
Look, I don't think Rivers will win MVP. Heck, if he isn't voted into the Pro Bowl as one of the top 3 QBs in the AFC, despite leading the league in TDs and QB rating, it's quite obvious that he won't get any MVP votes. But he deserves strong consideration....LOFL at saying Rivers was good and Manning was great this season. Why, because Manning had a better defense? The Colts are #11 in yards allowed and #7 in points allowed, compared to #25 and #15, respectively, for San Diego.And about the "inferior competition"... the Colts played 10 games against teams that finished .500 or better... San Diego played 11. The Colts played 7 games against teams that finished with winning records... San Diego played 8. The cumulative record of the Colts' opponents, not including their games against the Colts, is 123-116-1. The cumulative record of the Chargers' opponents, not including their games against the Chargers, is 124-116.

Manning would have gotten my vote. He was a worthy candidate. But if Im a Philip Rivers fan, Im a little p'd. All the guy did was keep that team afloat and have a spectacular season. And he got TWO votes and no invite to the Pro Bowl ??! No respect whatsoever. He'll get his chance tomorrow to make a fitting statement.

Peyton Manning 32

Michael Turner 4

Chad Pennington 4

James Harrison 3

Adrian Peterson 3

Philip Rivers 2

Kurt Warner 1

Chris Johnson 1
I thought Pennington's MVP chances were overrated, so the fact that he got any votes, to me, seems a little crazy, but a lot of people were on his bandwagon and ready to give him most of the credit for the Dolphins turnaround, so I was not at all surprised that he got a few votes.
How was this not a normal year? More to the point, what is a normal NFL year?

Peyton Manning 32

Michael Turner 4

Chad Pennington 4

James Harrison 3

Adrian Peterson 3

Philip Rivers 2

Kurt Warner 1

Chris Johnson 1
:goodposting:

I'd have voted Rivers. With LT's decline, he really stepped up and had a historic season for the Chargers. I don't think anyone saw him throwing 4 TD passes and just dominating the Bucs defense like that. He won that game. That performance sealed it for me.

Manning:

4th in completions

5th in attempts

3rd in percentage

6th in passing yards

8th in yards per game

5th in touchdowns

4th in 1st downs

5th in passer rating

The media darling wins another won. No good reason Manning wins this. No division title so the Brees naysayers have nothing to say about not winning the division. Stat wise Manning should not have won. :doh:

I'm surprised Brandon Jacobs didn't get a vote. He's the core of that offense. He missed the Cowboys game and they lost 20-8 and suddenly the Panthers had a shot to take HFA, which showed how much they missed him.

I can't believe that Chris Johnson got a vote. Guy had a great rookie season and was an exciting player on a great team, but he's not even close to being an MVP candidate. Heck, the defensive line deserved a vote more than Johnson.
I agree. The person that voted for Johnson should not be allowed to vote again, EVER.

cough...bull####.....cough
I agree, why is he any more deserving than Rivers?
This gets back to debating who you think SHOULD win the MVP versus acknowledging as fans what players usually DO win. I can understand arguing that Manning didn't have the best year, but the AP MVP award almost always goes to a top player [usually QB] on one of the top offenses on one of the best teams. Is that fair since it's an individual award? Probably not, but it's always been that way. The Chargers were a sub-.500 team until the last game of the year, a QB from that kind of team has no shot at winning the MVP award.
1) The MVP award isn't a reward for star power2) Peyton Manning is about as big a star as the NFL has [name another guy with his endorsement deals]

3) Manning was one of the best QBs on one of the best teams in the league, of course he would be considered every year. The only QBs that were on part with him played for 2nd tier or non-contending teams [Rivers included], what's the surprise here?
Love Manning, can't stand Rivers, but I can't see how any of those claims in bold don't fit Phillip Rivers. Top player? check. QB? check. Top offense? check. Top team? check. (hey, they won their division and have just about as good a shot at the super bowl as Peyton's team does!)

Peyton Manning 32

Michael Turner 4

Chad Pennington 4

James Harrison 3

Adrian Peterson 3

Philip Rivers 2

Kurt Warner 1

Chris Johnson 1
I thought Pennington being tied for second was ridiculous. That team won without individual stars.Warner, Brees or Turner should have been higher.

I am a season ticket holder for the Chargers and for the life of me - why is everyone so high on Rivers? They backed into the playoffs - if it weren't for a total collapse by Denver this team would be on the golf course right now. They barely finished .500 in what is probably the worst division in football. (NFC West might have a say way in that)

The Chargers went into this season with what was supposed to be the best young team in the NFL and Rivers failed to get them wins against powder puff opponents.

I have respect for Manning and for sure the right guy won the award. The only thing Rivers could complain about is missing the pro bowl.

Tomorrow though, I think we could see two very unlikely teams start very unlikely marches toward the Superbowl. Look out - Chargers / Arizona SB!

Everyone says it has been a weird season - well Chargers / Cardinals SB would be fitting.

They are top 12 and no one can argue that. Put it another way - take the 34 writers who voted for either manning or rivers, and ask them who's going to win this weekend. You think 32 pick the colts? So, if all else is even (and it isn't), and it just comes down to who is on a better team (which it shouldn't) I'm not certain these guys picked the right one.

They are top 12 and no one can argue that.
I can. They may be one of the 12 playoff teams, but that doesnt make them top 12.Just as if Denver had made the playoffs at 8-8, they wouldnt be top 12, they would just be one of the 12 playoff teams. They certainly were NOT a 'top team' when it came to discussing MVP merit. No way, no how. He gets merit for them being playoff team, thats about it on that scale.
Who's better that isn't in the playoffs?

Since the bye week they haven't lost to a single non-playoff team. Here's a list of teams with a better record

NE*

NYJ*

Chi

TB*

*SD beat these teams in the regular season

I can. They may be one of the 12 playoff teams, but that doesnt make them top 12.Just as if Denver had made the playoffs at 8-8, they wouldnt be top 12, they would just be one of the 12 playoff teams. They certainly were NOT a 'top team' when it came to discussing MVP merit. No way, no how. He gets merit for them being playoff team, thats about it on that scale.
Who's "equal" is a better question. And furthermore... when you say you are a 'top team', that never means #12.

A 'top team' is a handfull of representatives. SD is a borderline playoff team on the right side of the border.
Actually, that is the definition I would go by, since the top 12 make the playoffs. What's your criteria?

I think both of your statements above are true, if you say specifically that Rivers had a better season statistically. Manning was not a stat monster this year, there is no question about it, but the guy had no pre-season and was clearly far from the normal Peyton Manning during that first month of so of the season. He still somehow kept that team afloat. I am not sure that what he did under the circumstances is not a more impressive season that Rivers even given the stats, but obviously it is a highly subjective thing (which the stats are not).

I think both of your statements above are true, if you say specifically that Rivers had a better season statistically. Manning was not a stat monster this year, there is no question about it, but the guy had no pre-season and was clearly far from the normal Peyton Manning during that first month of so of the season. He still somehow kept that team afloat. I am not sure that what he did under the circumstances is not a more impressive season that Rivers even given the stats, but obviously it is a highly subjective thing (which the stats are not).
It will all be clear after tomorrow night.

Who's "equal" is a better question. And furthermore... when you say you are a 'top team', that never means #12.

A 'top team' is a handfull of representatives. SD is a borderline playoff team on the right side of the border.
Actually, that is the definition I would go by, since the top 12 make the playoffs. What's your criteria?
Bro... bill5... the #16/17 teams are the very definition of average/mediocre in the NFL.SD sits at #12. They are much closer to mediocre then to being the top team in the regular season.... for the purposes of the MVP award. Im not saying anything in regards to winning the Lombardi, they certainly at least have a chance. But as far the regular season MVP award, no. Their record/finish in the regular season does NOT equal a "top team" and does not add anything to Rivers MVP merit. His stats do, though.
They made the playoffs & won their division what more do you want? Is it really necessary to look beyond these facts when the whole point in the argument revolves around deciding an MVP - not who is truly the best team. Should we compare where the colts and chargers offenses and defenses rank leaguewide? Should we compare common opponents or SOS? Should we compare the 08 Chargers to the teams of previous MVP candidates? If I had the vote, I wouldn't have cast it for Rivers. But given the criterion posted previously, there is NO reason that he should have been crossed off the list.

Rivers arrogant. GO COLTS!!!! GO MANNING !!!!! I find it hard to believe that even SD fans like this guy.

I'm not shocked about Manning winning the MVP, he earned it. However, I am shocked by DeAngello Williams not getting a single vote. He is a BIG reason why the Panthers are in the position they're in right now. Talk about a guy getting no respect whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread