What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pentagon can't account for 6.5 Trillion in spending (1 Viewer)

One of the reasons we do not need to spend more on the military - let them find the trillions of dollars they have lost.  Or at least be held accountable for it.

According to that Reuters investigation:

For two decades, the U.S. military has been unable to submit to an audit, flouting federal law and concealing waste and fraud totaling billions of dollars.

Linda Woodford spent the last 15 years of her career inserting phony numbers in the U.S. Department of Defense’s accounts.

Every month until she retired in 2011, she says, the day came when the Navy would start dumping numbers on the Cleveland, Ohio DFAS…. Using the data they received, Woodford and her fellow accountants there set about preparing monthly reports to square the Navy’s books with the U.S. Treasury’s…. And every month, they encountered the same problem. Numbers were missing. Numbers were clearly wrong. Numbers came with no explanation of how the money had been spent or which congressional appropriation it came from.

Are there sites which have a bit less sensationalism and whose lead in is not asking for donations to support themselves? 

Basically a blogger: 

MintPress News was founded by Mnar Muhawesh, a broadcast journalism graduate of St. Cloud State University. She began her career as an intern at Minnesota television station KARE and as a freelance journalist. After posting her own work on a blog, in 2011 she decided to launch her own news site.[3]Muhawesh said she believed "our media has failed us very miserably," and spoke of her aspirations for MintPress, citing uninformed public debates around issues like Iran's nuclear capabilities, or intervention in Syria. "We are in a crucial time in American history where most Americans don't know what's going on in the world around them."[1]

thanks megatom you have solved this riddle and exposed this scheme you win again take that to the bank bromigo 

i blame megatom that guy knew and did not speak up sooner that is unamerican bromigos thanks megatom take that to the bank 

Clearly we need to spend more money on accountants. 

Or launch a trillion dollar new accounting system, after another trillion dollar survey. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do they keep saying "the military" rather than DFAS? DFAS sends out the checks. It isn't like the AF is going out and buying jets and bombs and can't account for the money. DFAS is basically an accounting agency that sends out paychecks for active duty, government workers, retirees, etc. This whole article's slant that the services have lost this money is somewhat misleading or, perhaps, slanted towards an agenda.

Why do they keep saying "the military" rather than DFAS? DFAS sends out the checks. It isn't like the AF is going out and buying jets and bombs and can't account for the money. DFAS is basically an accounting agency that sends out paychecks for active duty, government workers, retirees, etc. This whole article's slant that the services have lost this money is somewhat misleading or, perhaps, slanted towards an agenda.
The hoops we have to jump through to just do constuction type work is insane.   DFAS knows who gets the money.  

The article seemed too biased to be trusted.  The whole defense budget is around 600 million so it must have taken many years to arrive at 6.5 trillion in unaccounted funds.  I like when writers shine a light on fraud, waste and abuse but this was a poor effort.

The article seemed too biased to be trusted.  The whole defense budget is around 600 million so it must have taken many years to arrive at 6.5 trillion in unaccounted funds.  I like when writers shine a light on fraud, waste and abuse but this was a poor effort.
Decades.  This is nothing new and has been brought up many times over the years.  I think the actual number floating around now is 8.5T.  Although it seems to have been debunked as mostly "accounting errors" and not real missing money.

Well if you want an analogy, the Pentagon are the strippers in this scenario and Congress is the NBA player.  With all that money hitting the floor at once, it's hard to keep track of.  Glad Congress wants them to count it now, you know...protecting us taxpayers from fraud and all.  They're on that wall for us.  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you want an analogy, the Pentagon are the strippers in this scenario and Congress is the NBA player.  With all that money hitting the floor at once, it's hard to keep track of.  Glad Congress wants them to count it now, you know...protecting us taxpayers from fraud and all.  There on that wall for us.  :thumbup:
Will they make it rain?

Well if you want an analogy, the Pentagon are the strippers in this scenario and Congress is the NBA player.  With all that money hitting the floor at once, it's hard to keep track of.  Glad Congress wants them to count it now, you know...protecting us taxpayers from fraud and all.  There on that wall for us.  :thumbup:
Will they make it rain?
Well their wives have had them on lockdown for the past few years (sequestration) so they have to go during lunch (MRE's are yummy) when the chicks with the C-section scars and the one leg longer than the other (F-35 program) are working. 

For once, Americans need to not be bullied by either party into thinking it's OK to keep funding the military at the rate we have been. There has to be a better way to maintain world order without the entire budget going to military spending. 

We're embarrassing ourselves. 

For once, Americans need to not be bullied by either party into thinking it's OK to keep funding the military at the rate we have been. There has to be a better way to maintain world order without the entire budget going to military spending. 

You tell them MOP!  Let'em have it! 

Sensationalist defined.  The author is deliberately misleading.  The Pentagon hasn't had an audit in a while/ever...I can't remember when.

Difference between not accounting for funds and telling auditors to go #### themselves.

When you find out let me/us know.  East Europe would be Russian, China would own the south China Sea, and middle East wouldnt be pumping out any oil to allow Americans to drive their suv/truck because it looks cool.

I mostly remembered this because a very similar article floated around last year and spawned a bunch of speculative bull#### articles wondering if the Government had a secret space fleet or something. Fun to read though.

Homeland Security has better bookkeeping but that is the most wasteful government monster since Idaho's Famous Potato Posse of 1926. 
I'm sure.  It's ridiculous to think that the government spends $1 on anything and the public finds $0.50 of value.
At a micro level government works like a business does.  I have a budget every year, I identify programs and equipment 2-3 years out that need replacement, I shop for the ideal system and try to find it competitively priced.  At a macro level however is wear it jumps the track.  If I need IT work done and it costs $4k to fix it, I have to send to acquisitions.  Then they compete it, find the best vendor for the money, and it ends up costing $6200. 

Contract employees are making $70k a year in salary, but it costs the government twice that to field the contract.  Everything is done within the law, believe me.  But the laws are from the 80s when Reagan was throwing money at anything and everything (or even older), and then again when GW Bush set up DHS.  There is so much money for companies and contractors that there is no way they are gonna shut that spigot down.  Taxpayers lose but business wins, the lobbies win, the rich guy wins, and most importantly the politicians win.  Thing is all governments operate in similar fashions, and most of them are infinitely less efficient than we are.  Chew on that nugget. 

I mostly remembered this because a very similar article floated around last year and spawned a bunch of speculative bull#### articles wondering if the Government had a secret space fleet or something. Fun to read though.
Yeah, same here.  Reuters did that one as well.  Or maybe it's the same report but updated 

Sensationalist defined.  The author is deliberately misleading.  The Pentagon hasn't had an audit in a while/ever...I can't remember when.

Difference between not accounting for funds and telling auditors to go #### themselves.
Well Rove! did post it, were you expecting any different?

You can find these articles every year, last year it was over $8 trillion.  Obviously $8 trillion is not missing, but people need to have faux outrage whenever possible. 

At a micro level government works like a business does.  I have a budget every year, I identify programs and equipment 2-3 years out that need replacement, I shop for the ideal system and try to find it competitively priced.  At a macro level however is wear it jumps the track.  If I need IT work done and it costs $4k to fix it, I have to send to acquisitions.  Then they compete it, find the best vendor for the money, and it ends up costing $6200. 

Contract employees are making $70k a year in salary, but it costs the government twice that to field the contract.  Everything is done within the law, believe me.  But the laws are from the 80s when Reagan was throwing money at anything and everything (or even older), and then again when GW Bush set up DHS.  There is so much money for companies and contractors that there is no way they are gonna shut that spigot down.  Taxpayers lose but business wins, the lobbies win, the rich guy wins, and most importantly the politicians win.  Thing is all governments operate in similar fashions, and most of them are infinitely less efficient than we are.  Chew on that nugget. 
I get that.  So throwing more bad money at any government program is a good thing?  I'd do away with DHS in a heartbeat.  Unbearably terrible spending.  But so are a vast majority of the rest unless you say out loud that you just want to employ louts that couldn't elsewhere.

When you find out let me/us know.  East Europe would be Russian, China would own the south China Sea, and middle East wouldnt be pumping out any oil to allow Americans to drive their suv/truck because it looks cool.
There are so many guns in this country that most people can protect themselves for the next 20 years while we rebuild America from the inside out and then when our military is finally not holding a 27 game lead in the NL West, we(America) will be in prime position to reload the military with our new infrastructure leading the way and making it even easier to manufacture and stockpile the military at a fraction of its current costs.   

Nothing to see on the face here.  Article only claims DFAS cannot account for this amount of adjustments.  It is not a netted number and likely involves just leader shifting around different entities or codes.  Wake me up when we're talking cost to taxpayer

I get that.  So throwing more bad money at any government program is a good thing?  I'd do away with DHS in a heartbeat.  Unbearably terrible spending.  But so are a vast majority of the rest unless you say out loud that you just want to employ louts that couldn't elsewhere.
Nope, but the guys who make the laws prevent things like that from happening.  All these guys want to slash government programs, unless of course that program is a part of their district then they are vehemently against it.  Then that guy gets 30 fed jobs delivered to his district the next go round after he assists in getting legislation passed.  Then the other politician he supported slips $20 million in pork into a bill, and so on.  Congress creates the laws, government follows them. 

Nope, but the guys who make the laws prevent things like that from happening.  All these guys want to slash government programs, unless of course that program is a part of their district then they are vehemently against it.  Then that guy gets 30 fed jobs delivered to his district the next go round after he assists in getting legislation passed.  Then the other politician he supported slips $20 million in pork into a bill, and so on.  Congress creates the laws, government follows them. 
And just to spell it out to the slow people in the vack of the class shutting it down would cost a few jobs which would mean the politician doesn't get reelected because he made the gravy train go away

im not coming to an opinion until megatom weights in that guy gets it and the rest of your are lightweights take that to the bank brohans 

Users who are viewing this thread