What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL Sign-Up thread (2 Viewers)

Graciously, TEX, has agreed to take a draft list for me due to my surgery on Monday.I'll send him my list early Monday morning for 2 rounds, shouldn't need more than that hopefully.. I'll also PM him when I get home that I'm back and available to pick. I'm hoping to be home at 4pm or 5pm at the latest. So with Tex having my list I won't hold the draft up any. Even with sending him a list I'm planning on having a good draft. I better after all the pain I'm gonna endure Monday at the hospital,so I don't want any pain in my draft :rolleyes:Glad to see several names that I was in WSL4 with. I'm looking forward to whatever draft I'm in as I recognize a lot of names from the boards. Should be some pretty good competition.
Good luck Ghost. You know what'll happen now that you're all set, though--Tex will draw the #16 slot right between your slot 15 picks! :rolleyes:
You're probably right Glumpy but at least now I have experience at the spot :rolleyes: Learned a lot from Fubar. I can't take a chance on players coming back around so I'll have to pull the trigger on the first pick.I just think Fubar and I were seeing the same players available talent and ranking wise and had to decide which players were the most valuable to our own draft strategy. Of course rankings in the earlier rounds could be quite similar for a lot of the drafters. It was those later rounds where Fubar and I had thoughts on the same players. I'll be ready this time. Got my sleeper this time,Mike Vick.He'll be outta the halfway house in July and should be ready to hook up with the Saints. They've been wanting to resurrect"Who Let The Dog Out" :kicksrock:

pre draft survivor league

yes each league has its own champ

ya i dont remember the details after week 13 but teams keep getting the boot based on lowest score that week

thats the jist of it
A funny competition and all....preparing and drafting before bye weeks are announced in a survivor format.Take, for example, the FBG's contest, where you lock in your lineup and do so relative to season start. A big part of that is balancing the points siting idle each week. In fact, if you don't choose your team according to the bye week bias, you are doomed to medicrocracy there.

Same considerations here.....but it's random bye week as you draft your team. If a ton of guys sit the pine in any given week, you are toast.

Any use discussing alternative formats....that keep everybodies interest untill you cut back at week #14 and begin the finals?

The way it's being done is a contest of Luck....not one of Skill. :yes:

Hasn't anybody ever questioned the random nature of the competition?

I mean, how may years have you guys been doing this? :pics:

It would be relatively easy to change it up slightly and have a skill based deal....and isn't that the goal of doing this? :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

ya i dont remember the details after week 13 but teams keep getting the boot based on lowest score that week

thats the jist of it
A funny competition and all....drafting before bye weeks are announced in a survivor format.Take, for example, the FBG's contest, where you lock in your lineup and do so relative to season start. A big part of that is ballancing the points sitting idle each week. In fact, if you don't choose your team according to the bye week bias, you are doomed to medicrocracy there.

Same considerations here.....but it's random bye week as you draft your team. If a ton of guys sit the pine in any given week, you are toast.

Any use discussing alternative formats....that keep everybodies interest untill you cut back at week #14 and begin the finals?

The way it's being done is a contest of Luck....not one of Skill.

:yes:
the losers call it all luck while the winners view it as skill ... with some luck mixed in

thats the jist of it
A funny competition and all....preparing and drafting before bye weeks are announced in a survivor format.Take, for example, the FBG's contest, where you lock in your lineup and do so relative to season start. A big part of that is balancing the points sitting idle each week. In fact, if you don't choose your team according to the bye week bias, you are doomed to medicrocracy there.

It would be relatively easy to change it up slightly and have a skill based deal....and isn't that the goal of doing this? :yes:

I am entering my 5th year of SL competitionAnd whiel the point is to win, the real reason these leagues were started was to generate discussion and ADP.

and believe me there is plenty of skill. True the pre-draft and pre-bye league have a little more "luck". but really there is a ton of luck regardless of league. B

thats the jist of it
A funny competition and all....preparing and drafting before bye weeks are announced in a survivor format.Take, for example, the FBG's contest, where you lock in your lineup and do so relative to season start. A big part of that is balancing the points siting idle each week. In fact, if you don't choose your team according to the bye week bias, you are doomed to medicrocracy there.

It would be relatively easy to change it up slightly and have a skill based deal....and isn't that the goal of doing this? :yes:

im all ears on your suggestions but this is free and a fun way to kill time during the offseasonalso enourages player discussion

im not even going to get into the fact that luck plays a huge part in fantasy no matter how much skill you have. granted theres more luck involved in this format.

im not even going to get into the fact that luck plays a huge part in fantasy no matter how much skill you have. granted theres more luck involved in this format.
I found that there was very little luck involved last year. Decidedly more luck involved in other years. :o

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
toads, the PDSL is having captains pick the players they want in their league and assigning draft position to them.

Kinda like kickball in high school.
People played kickball at your high school?
for us, it was dodgeball @JHS194 in Queens
why the hell u like the ratbirds if you grew up in queens?
asks the Stillers fan, living in Atlanta!lived in NY my early years, lifetime fan of Big Blue, the first team I followed as a kid

we moved to Baltimore area entering my freshman year in HS ('70), and "followed" the Colts but still NYG junkie

when the Ravens came to town, I got behind them as my "current" hometown team while still maintaining the passion for the Giants, my "original" hometown team

thats the jist of it

The way it's being done is a contest of Luck....not one of Skill. :fishing:

It would be relatively easy to change it up slightly and have a skill based deal....and isn't that the goal of doing this? :shrug:

there are alternative formats to cover not knowing the bye weeks---SSL's draft after NFL draft, when we know where the rookies are going and have some idea of schedulenobody questions the random nature of the competition--we all "play" under the same rules

to account for not knowing where the rooks are and the bye weeks, we'll draft 20 rounds, having alittle deeper bench than SSL's (Spring Survivor Leagues), which draft 18 rounds

thats the jist of it

I think we started doing these leagues in 2002 with the MBSL in the summer. It was a good source of player discussion before most real fantasy drafts. Then the hardcore nature of the people here couldn't wait until summer, so a spring league began. Then the natural progression went to before the draft, then winter. Pretty soon we'll be drafting 2 years in advance. :lol:

thats the jist of it

The way it's being done is a contest of Luck....not one of Skill. :unsure:

1) "im all ears on your suggestions but this is 2)

free and a fun way to kill time during the offseason3) also enourages player discussion im not even going to get into the fact that

4) luck plays a huge part in fantasy no matter how much skill you have. granted theres

5) more luck involved in this format"
1) I'd be happy to supply an alternate for consideration if there's an honest consideration of change. Most times, the proposal get's lost....as in it has to go to the right person/party to be considered. Who is that party?.3) ....true, it does foster discussions based on what the state of the art is. To have a draft that ends weeks before the Rookie Draft starts also means that not only are the bye weeks unknown but the Rookies team affiliations are unknown.....again, an exercise in unknown situation and basically more of the same.....4) & 5) luck.

There is a mention that the purpose of these exercises is to get a handle on ADP. If that's the purpose, allow the Rookie Draft to end and install TE's at one point per reception.

If the purpose is free and for fun then don't worry about the results and who drafts where because this competition is not a competition and is not skill based. If you want to have a (more) skilled competition, you can do so with minor alterations.

You can remove the bye week bias by changing the format. You can never remove the Rookie consideration....unless you wait to draft until after the Rookie Draft ends.

Funny, I always thought that some guys were better at this than others and that, if there was a way to figure results based on that premise....that it was worth doing.

Translation: it would be nice to have fun, and a competition, rather than just a result-less waste of time. I mean you guys are a barrell of laughs and all but if you're better at this after playing for five years there must be a reason.....other than just plain good old luck. :confused:

P.S.: What does PDSL stand for?

Once suggestion to reduce the "luck" factor, would be for the pre-schedule survivor leagues to eliminate 2 teams every two weeks. That way bye weeks could somewhat be covered up.

Toads said:
Fiddles said:
Toads said:
Fiddles said:

thats the jist of it

free and a fun way to kill time during the offseason3) also enourages player discussion im not even going to get into the fact that

4) luck plays a huge part in fantasy no matter how much skill you have. granted theres

1) I'd be happy to supply an alternate for consideration if there's an honest consideration of change. Most times, the proposal get's lost....as in it has to go to the right person/party to be considered. Who is that party?.3) ....true, it does foster discussions based on what the state of the art is. To have a draft that ends weeks before the Rookie Draft starts also means that not only are the bye weeks unknown but the Rookies team affiliations are unknown.....again, an exercise in unknown situation and basically more of the same.....4) & 5) luck.

There is a mention that the purpose of these exercises is to get a handle on ADP. If that's the purpose, allow the Rookie Draft to end and install TE's at one point per reception.

If the purpose is free and for fun then don't worry about the results and who drafts where because this competition is not a competition and is not skill based. If you want to have a (more) skilled competition, you can do so with minor alterations.

You can remove the bye week bias by changing the format. You can never remove the Rookie consideration....unless you wait to draft until after the Rookie Draft ends.

Funny, I always thought that some guys were better at this than others and that, if there was a way to figure results based on that premise....that it was worth doing.

Translation: it would be nice to have fun, and a competition, rather than just a result-less waste of time. I mean you guys are a barrell of laughs and all but if you're better at this after playing for five years there must be a reason.....other than just plain good old luck. :2cents:

toads you are a strange dude, glad Im in a dynasty start up with you this yearbelieve me the guys who have been doing this awhile are competitor and I even make cheatsheets just for this format, so there ya go!

Toads said:
Fiddles said:
Toads said:
Fiddles said:

thats the jist of it

The way it's being done is a contest of Luck....not one of Skill. :lmao:

Translation: it would be nice to have fun, and a competition, rather than just a result-less waste of time. I mean you guys are a barrell of laughs and all but if you're better at this after playing for five years there must be a reason.....other than just plain good old luck. :rolleyes:

toads you are a strange dude, glad Im in a dynasty start up with you this yearbelieve me the guys who have been doing this awhile are competitor and I even make cheatsheets just for this format, so there ya go!
Yeah, I been working under duress for weeks to develop my sheets.....I just have this attention to detail thing going that tries to find meaning in the useless and pointless knowledge that is our Sport. :thumbup: Refrerence 2 points per receptions for TE's. That's "way out there" and it really screws the pooch when it comes to ADP.

I just have a hard time doing this and having the outcome determined by random bye week forces.

OK, I give up....what's PDSL stand for?

Pre Draft Survivor League

ADP is not the best term. More like relative value with in a position. In the WSL I draft QB earlier than in other drafts as there is more uncertainty. The 2 pts per TE will move up all TE's, but thier relative value should be similar. There are definetly strategies based on WSL vs PDSL vs MBSL. I'll share them with you in a couple of years.

Pre Draft Survivor LeagueADP is not the best term. More like relative value with in a position. In the WSL I draft QB earlier than in other drafts as there is more uncertainty. The 2 pts per TE will move up all TE's, but thier relative value should be similar. There are definetly strategies based on WSL vs PDSL vs MBSL. I'll share them with you in a couple of years.
:goodposting:

What it basically boils down to is the 3 P's. Predictions, Projections and Pray for Luck. Drafting this early or earlier is an exercise in futility sometimes or the unknown.The uncertainty of some players as to where they will be i.e. bench,on another team, cut, injury, PRISON. A lot we do know about players already and to how we think they'll do this year. Will they progress,digress,regress,crossdress :wub: or be just a complete mess.So to some degree there are quite a few certainty players we can draft and feel comfortable that they'll produce for us.

We'll draft a few players with uncertainties and question marks and hope we've made the right choice.Looks like we'll draft a lot of rookies that fit in this category and there again hope they even get playing time. We're risk takers and that's part of the fun and excitement I guess to drafting in an early survivor league.I suppose you could define PDSL as People Drafting for Significant Luck when it's all said and done. It fills a void before the season for me just for the fun of drafting and seeing what other guys are thinking about players for the coming year. While luck is certainly going to play a big part in all of these early survivor leagues, at least to me, they're are a good learning tool to help prepare for my upcoming leagues when it really counts, especially when the money counts :rolleyes:

The money leagues I play in are all 12 teams so 16 teams is a different animal.I enjoyed the WSL4 draft even if I drafted players that are gonna be suspended, one's been cut, one traded and who knows what else will happen to my team before the season starts. I KNOW my team's gonna need some luck to stick around and I'm optimistic about it. Drafting is a real exciting part of FF so I'm looking forward to the PDSL draft and getting some good players and hopefully a LOT of lucky players :lmao:

I've found someone even more annoying than JuSt CuZ in these things... and the drafting hasn't even started yet.

Speaking of which, when do the captains start making their selections?

Next 63 posting after me are in, four leagues of 16. We'll start March 30-April 1 and will be finished in four weeks (prior to the NFL draft). I'll be adjusting the draft clock as needed during the drafts to meet this deadline. Four Three captains will select their leaguemates via a draft from those signing up in this thread, the remaining entries will go into the fourth league. The order in which you are selected will determine your draft position (more details to follow). I'm currently working on getting the captains in place.

Captains:

Andy Dufresne

Blue-Kun

Thom Yorke

Participants:

Twilight Placeholder

BassNBrew

Fubar

Lhucks

BSS

Fiddles

Reaper

Duckboy

Jeff Terertiller

Shadowfax

Jeter23

Wraith5

Rudnicki

Fullback Fro

Krsone21

Awesomeness

Norseman

Ravnzfan

Old Mil

wayback when

NoFBinLA

bostonfred

rzrback 77

Rudy

Toads

Nuggett

team ramfor

gamma 1210

Busman

JP

tex

beachbum

SBloom

AD11

Sinrman

GhostofBillW

renesauz

HellToupee

Domination

Team Legacy

valence

Crippler

dpeease

Frank Black

glumpy

CommuterMan

Atomic Punk

restless natives

zoltar16

buck56

Steel Dillo

Road Warriors

Norris B

Ghost of Bill Walsh

Yellow Line is Unoffcial

58 in, still need 6 more.
57 in...Ghost of Bill W(alsh) posted twicePDSL-4 members posted in The Captains Thread

Users who are viewing this thread