What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Paul Newman (1 Viewer)

He is/was a great actor.
What makes him special in my mind is all the other things he did in addition. He raised 100's of millions for charity with his Neuman's own products. Then through in the fact he won a professional car race at age 70. Wow. But he's got to be top ten all time actors in my mind as well. Up there with Brando, Jimmy stewart, Bogey etc.

Nobody's Fool is one of the most underrated movies ever. He was amazing in that.

I'm a fan of him as an actor, but a bigger fan of him as a person. His Hole in the Wall Gang Camp for sick children and his generosity of giving away the profits from his Newman's Own to great causes is what makes Paul Newman so great. The good fortune he has had in his life, he has shared with those not as fortunate many times over.

"Take a piss boss?"

Cool Hand Luke and Colour of Money are my favs.....but hard to pick just a couple

I'm a fan of him as an actor, but a bigger fan of him as a person. His Hole in the Wall Gang Camp for sick children and his generosity of giving away the profits from his Newman's Own to great causes is what makes Paul Newman so great. The good fortune he has had in his life, he has shared with those not as fortunate many times over.
:thumbup:

One of my all-time favorite dramatic films is The Hustler, with Newman in his original role as Fast Eddie Felson, Jackie Gleason as Minnesota Fats, George. C. Scott as Bert Gordon and Piper Laurie as Sarah Packard. Unbelievable cast, a fine example of film-making all the way around.

Definitely not a "feel-good" kinda film, but if you like Color of Money then The Hustler is a must-see, IMO.

Of course, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is an iconic film - part comedy, part drama, all about Newman and Redford's chemistry. Katherine Ross was a lot of fun in that film, too.

The Sting, another Newman/Redford tour de force. And so on...and on...and on...Just look at the Filmography and list of other projects...astounding.

Mr. Newman will be missed, and remembered as one of the greatest actors ever/best examples of how to handle fame and fortune ever.

One of my all-time favorite dramatic films is The Hustler, with Newman in his original role as Fast Eddie Felson, Jackie Gleason as Minnesota Fats, George. C. Scott as Bert Gordon and Piper Laurie as Sarah Packard. Unbelievable cast, a fine example of film-making all the way around.

Definitely not a "feel-good" kinda film, but if you like Color of Money then The Hustler is a must-see, IMO.

Of course, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is an iconic film - part comedy, part drama, all about Newman and Redford's chemistry. Katherine Ross was a lot of fun in that film, too.

The Sting, another Newman/Redford tour de force. And so on...and on...and on...Just look at the Filmography and list of other projects...astounding.

Mr. Newman will be missed, and remembered as one of the greatest actors ever/best examples of how to handle fame and fortune ever.
The Hustler and The Sting were two of my favorites. Godspeed Mr. Newman.

Was just reading this this morning...

You can't be as old as I am without waking up with a surprised look on your face every morning: 'Holy Christ, whaddya know - I'm still around!' It's absolutely amazing that I survived all the booze and smoking and the cars and the career.

Live it to the fullest for every minute you can Mr Newman. God speed. :popcorn:

Great story told to me by a friend. He came over from Ireland 25 years or so ago, and was working as a limo driver out of Connecticut. He was assigned to pick up Newman and wife at JFK and drive them back to Connecticut. All the way there, Paul Newman was ragging him about being Irish, etc. etc. etc.

When they got to the Newman mansion, he helped carry the bags in, and Newman said: "I haven't got cash, will you take a check?" My friend answered, "Yes, I've always wanted to have a check signed by Robert Redford!"

He said Joanne Woodward laughed so hard she had to sit down in a chair, and said to Newman: "You deserved that! You deserved that!"

Great story told to me by a friend. He came over from Ireland 25 years or so ago, and was working as a limo driver out of Connecticut. He was assigned to pick up Newman and wife at JFK and drive them back to Connecticut. All the way there, Paul Newman was ragging him about being Irish, etc. etc. etc.When they got to the Newman mansion, he helped carry the bags in, and Newman said: "I haven't got cash, will you take a check?" My friend answered, "Yes, I've always wanted to have a check signed by Robert Redford!"He said Joanne Woodward laughed so hard she had to sit down in a chair, and said to Newman: "You deserved that! You deserved that!"
That's an awesome story.

Great story told to me by a friend. He came over from Ireland 25 years or so ago, and was working as a limo driver out of Connecticut. He was assigned to pick up Newman and wife at JFK and drive them back to Connecticut. All the way there, Paul Newman was ragging him about being Irish, etc. etc. etc.When they got to the Newman mansion, he helped carry the bags in, and Newman said: "I haven't got cash, will you take a check?" My friend answered, "Yes, I've always wanted to have a check signed by Robert Redford!"He said Joanne Woodward laughed so hard she had to sit down in a chair, and said to Newman: "You deserved that! You deserved that!"
i think this is your best posting evah.

:excited: Great actor, even greater human being.

Paul Newman is on my very short list of inspirational heroes. The guy is clearly in the top 5 actors of all time. The fact he remained true to one woman for such a long marriage and that he raised hundreds of millions for charity, plus the varied interests he has, makes him an evolved person who transcends his rare talent.

One of our major icons, a treasure, and one that will be sad to lose.

Last edited:
He's the last one left, isn't he? At least as far as having worked semi-recently. Kirk Douglas & Olivia DeHavilland (sp?) are still alive but they haven't worked in years as far as I can recall. I'm trying to think of someone from Newman's generation still going.

Ozymandias said:
Along those lines, I grew up near the Newman compound and in high school worked at the gourmet grocery store where he introduced all his food products (I also knew some of the folks that started the Hole in the Wall Gang).For you young ones, back in the day people could actually go to stores and not pay for food, instead signing an invoice and at the end of the month the billing department would add up the total spent that month and send a bill.Anyway, one day I was at one of the registers talking to a girl at another register when Newman walked up with a basket of food (we're talking early 80s for a time span). The chick COMPLETELY did not recognize him, as he was decked out in a racing jacket and shades.Upon entering in his purchases manually one at a time (pre electronic registers and without scanners), she told him the total and he said to just put it on his tab and started leaving. She of course called him back and said she needed his name, and he asked if she was kidding. She asked for the name again, and he said "Newman." She THEN asked if it was spelled with a W or a U in the middle. Shaking his head, he signed the slip and took off.I of course started asking her if she had ever watched The Sting, Towering Inferno, Butch Cassidy, etc. and she asked me why I was asking her about all these Paul Newman movies. I said that he every once in a while came into the store and that she should keep an eye out for him. She of course got all excited (because she never met a movie star before), and I mentioned that in fact he was in the store THAT morning.I finally told her that he was the one that she just helped and she refused to believe it. I told her to check for herself, as she just got his autograph. She ended up keeping the slip and writing up a new one without his signature.I just about died laughing.

Paul Newman is on my very short list of inspirational heroes. The guy is clearly in the top 5 actors of all time. The fact he remained true to one woman for such a long marriage and that he raised hundreds of millions for charity, plus the varied interests he has, makes him an evolved person who transcends his rare talent.

I may have got this wrong, but didn't he dump his first wife to marry Joanne?

No reason to confuse the issue with facts. He was married to Jackie Witte from 1949-1958 and married Joanne Woodward January 29, 1958.I like Newman a lot, great actor, seems like a genuinely good guy. Saying he is clearly in the top 5 actors of all time is a bit of hyperbole.

I have no problem putting Paul Newman on a short list of greatest actors ever. The guy has entertained me in every film I've seen of his...truly an icon.

Paul Newman is on my very short list of inspirational heroes. The guy is clearly in the top 5 actors of all time. The fact he remained true to one woman for such a long marriage and that he raised hundreds of millions for charity, plus the varied interests he has, makes him an evolved person who transcends his rare talent.One of our major icons, a treasure, and one that will be sad to lose.
:) He is the definition of a life lived well - and did it on his terms.

:) He is the definition of a life lived well - and did it on his terms.
There aren't too many actors (Sydney Poitier & James Garner come to mind) that I have as much respect for as Newman.

No reason to confuse the issue with facts. He was married to Jackie Witte from 1949-1958 and married Joanne Woodward January 29, 1958.
Don't go there. That makes him look uncomfortably like John McCain.

Users who are viewing this thread