What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots Cut Brian Hoyer (1 Viewer)

Hoyer stinks. you think BB cut him when he could possibly get something? Not how they operate.

That being said, he could end up in arizona, miami or jacksonville.

Last year it looked like Bill was going to be able to sell this guy as being worth a pick. Nobody bit and he is being cut. I'm not too surprised, he was not good at MSU. I was shocked by the hype he had gathered at one point.

He's going to get grabbed up quick. He could probably start for a handful of teams right now.
Please take your homer googles off. Maybe Kolb but that is a big maybe.
He could start for a team down the road. He would be an upgrade as a #2 for some teams. If I'm a team with a questionable QB situation I would definitely take a shot.
Ok but that is much different than what you said earlier.

He's going to get grabbed up quick. He could probably start for a handful of teams right now.
He could start for a team down the road. He would be an upgrade as a #2 for some teams. If I'm a team with a questionable QB situation I would definitely take a shot.
Ok but that is much different than what you said earlier.
:lmao: right now <> down the road

And now Branch
Good sign for Brandon Lloyd, right? I know some are down on his preseason, Moss and Gronk didn't even register a catch in the preseasons before their insane years. This seems to further prove NE is quite pleased with Lloyd.

And now Branch
Good sign for Brandon Lloyd, right? I know some are down on his preseason, Moss and Gronk didn't even register a catch in the preseasons before their insane years. This seems to further prove NE is quite pleased with Lloyd.
No effect on Lloyd imho, Branch was just vying for uninteresting 5th WR option. They like their kids enough that they don't need him.

I'm gonna go ahead and say if he wasn't good enough to remain one of the three QBs on the Pats then he's not very good.

Billicheck doesn't just give away good players - he cuts them when he knows they've hit their peak (ee just about every aging veteran he's let go in the past 7 years).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna go ahead and say if he wasn't good enough to remain one of the three QBs on the Pats then he's not very good.Billicheck doesn't just give away good players - he cuts them when he knows they've hit their peak (ee just about every aging veteran he's let go in the past 7 years).
You can say it, but it doesn't mean you're right.

I'm gonna go ahead and say if he wasn't good enough to remain one of the three QBs on the Pats then he's not very good.Billicheck doesn't just give away good players - he cuts them when he knows they've hit their peak (ee just about every aging veteran he's let go in the past 7 years).
Not necessarily true. I'm sure he contacted teams about Hoyer but why would anyone give up a draft pick when he was likely going to get cut?I think this is more about saving the roster spot for a 3rd QB. Mallett has more talent, but I think Hoyer could be useful somewhere.

Not necessarily true. I'm sure he contacted teams about Hoyer but why would anyone give up a draft pick when he was likely going to get cut?I think this is more about saving the roster spot for a 3rd QB. Mallett has more talent, but I think Hoyer could be useful somewhere.
Mallett jumped Hoyer on the depth chart, Hoyer's a UFA at season's end, given the first comment no way Hoyer was coming back, makes more sense to save the 3rd spot for a developmental type.Still only a bad sign for Hoyer though, if he were more valued around the league someone would have given a pick for him rather than have to claim him.

Hoyer is a good QB. He could definitely start for a handful of teams. Every other team in the AFC East, AZ, Cleveland, Seattle, and probably more. I really liked that kid.
So what you are saying is, a guy who could not fetch a 7th round pick (hell, even one in 2018), is good enough to start for 6+ teams tomorrow? I just want to be sure I am unpacking this correctly.I am not saying he couldn't be a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd on a few teams, but obviously the league views him as the Hamburgler of Turds.

Hoyer is a good QB. He could definitely start for a handful of teams. Every other team in the AFC East, AZ, Cleveland, Seattle, and probably more. I really liked that kid.
So what you are saying is, a guy who could not fetch a 7th round pick (hell, even one in 2018), is good enough to start for 6+ teams tomorrow? I just want to be sure I am unpacking this correctly.I am not saying he couldn't be a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd on a few teams, but obviously the league views him as the Hamburgler of Turds.
Nobody wants to pick up a 2 million dollar salary if they don't have to. He will be scooped up right away, and hopefully end up back on the Pats. You obviously don't know his abilities, or what the league views him as, but feel free to bump this if he doesn't end up on a team by the start of the season.Oh, and make that 7 teams. I forgot Jacksonville.

Like Sweet Love said if he could start then he has trade value. Even Travaris Jackson got traded.BTW: I think it is hilarious that there is a rumor that the Eagles are trying to trade Mike Kafka.

BTW: I think it is hilarious that there is a rumor that the Eagles are trying to trade Mike Kafka.
Rumor has it AZ offering a 1st and Patrick Peterson.

Like Sweet Love said if he could start then he has trade value. Even Travaris Jackson got traded.BTW: I think it is hilarious that there is a rumor that the Eagles are trying to trade Mike Kafka.
I don't think the Pats want to get rid of him. I think they bring him back for less money if he doesn't get picked up. Every team has to cut their rosters down to 53 today. That means lots of free agents to consider.

Nobody wants to pick up a 2 million dollar salary if they don't have to. He will be scooped up right away, and hopefully end up back on the Pats. You obviously don't know his abilities, or what the league views him as, but feel free to bump this if he doesn't end up on a team by the start of the season.Oh, and make that 7 teams. I forgot Jacksonville.
I'll be happy to bump this every time a Pats player that gets jerked off by the fan base and ain't done SHEEET, gets cut. Hoyer should be starting for someone by the end of the season, if he can start for almost 25% of the league.

I don't think the Pats want to get rid of him. I think they bring him back for less money if he doesn't get picked up. Every team has to cut their rosters down to 53 today. That means lots of free agents to consider.
2 million is peanuts for a QB. League vet minimum is almost a million. No team would think twice about picking up his contract if they thought he could start. Lets see what happens.

Stop it Patriots fans...

Just because the media in Boston has fed you information that Hoyer was being groomed and could be a starting QB, doesn't make him one. He threw what, 1 pass last season? Same thing that Andy Reid does with his backup QBs, hype them up and try to trade them for a pick except this time no one bit on Hoyer. Realistically, he probably isn't that good. Seems like a decent QB #2 and will probably get picked him by someone quickly but that doesn't mean he would be starting on 1/3 teams in the league.

P.S. I am a lifelong Pats fan but am also not naive enough to believe the what has been told to us about Hoyer for years. Learning behind Tom Brady doesn't make you a QB #1 just like backing up Peyton Manning for years didn't make Jim Sorgi an All-Pro.

I don't think the Pats have a roster spot for him. It appears that Hoyer is not the heir apparent to Brady. It looks and sounds like he has not developed to the point where they thought he should be. In the limited times I have seen him play, he never looked like a difference maker and he played like a back up. Maybe another team might want him as a back up, but I don't see him as an NFL caliber starter. The Pats have shopped him around and couldn't get anything for him. Maybe that's beacuse teams knew at some point they would have to release him, but the initial interest level in 2011-12 was pretty limited.

BUT...if he could start for 7 teams, those teams are not going to hesitate to grab a starting QB at $2 million against the cap...think about the flexibility a team would have if their starting QB only made $2 million??? My guess is that unless the team was run by a 4th grader, they could have depth at nearly every position with the monies saved.

BUT...if he could start for 7 teams, those teams are not going to hesitate to grab a starting QB at $2 million against the cap...think about the flexibility a team would have if their starting QB only made $2 million??? My guess is that unless the team was run by a 4th grader, they could have depth at nearly every position with the monies saved.
I don't think Hoyer could start for even one NFL team at the moment. Even with a full camp to prepare, I don't see him as a starting QB in the league.

The bottomline is Hoyer didn't play well this pre-season for a guy who has been in their system for awhile and was making decent money...not sure if they want him back at a reduced salary since they could use a number three and have no one else around right now...he will get picked up but I think he's being over-valued in a big way if you think he's a definitive starter waiting to happen...I don't see that...his value was knowing the Patriot system and becoming a mini-Brady (not in talent but he was QBing in a similar fashion...or at least attempting to)...he is not a big-time talent waiting in the wings...in Parcells terms he's a JAG (just another guy) who's upside is being a quality backup who will be respected by his teammates and hopefully be able to hold the fort down while a starter is out for a few games...all that being said I am a pretty surprised he got cut and the Pats currently only have two QBs...

...all that being said I am a pretty surprised he got cut and the Pats currently only have two QBs...
One of the reasons he was cut - and for some other is that the cap next year will be the same or close AND there are implications on next years cap based on $$ spent this year - don't have the exact language but that is the gist of it - financial implications for teams

The bottomline is Hoyer didn't play well this pre-season for a guy who has been in their system for awhile and was making decent money...not sure if they want him back at a reduced salary since they could use a number three and have no one else around right now...he will get picked up but I think he's being over-valued in a big way if you think he's a definitive starter waiting to happen...I don't see that...his value was knowing the Patriot system and becoming a mini-Brady (not in talent but he was QBing in a similar fashion...or at least attempting to)...he is not a big-time talent waiting in the wings...in Parcells terms he's a JAG (just another guy) who's upside is being a quality backup who will be respected by his teammates and hopefully be able to hold the fort down while a starter is out for a few games...all that being said I am a pretty surprised he got cut and the Pats currently only have two QBs...
The Pats carried three QBs last year for the first time in a number of years. I would guess they will try to find a bargain basement, scrap heap guy that gets cut from somewhere to add to the practice squad as an emergency / developmental QB.

The Pats carried three QBs last year for the first time in a number of years. I would guess they will try to find a bargain basement, scrap heap guy that gets cut from somewhere to add to the practice squad as an emergency / developmental QB.
Yep, Hoyer was Brady's lone backup his rookie season after being undrafted so I don't think finding a replacement is a high priority. It's a lesson in the value of an NFL roster spot more than anything.

I know but with a 35 year old starter and a QB with no real game experience I really thought they would go with three this year and than have Mallet move up to the #2 next year...I guess they have Edelman in a pinch but that's obviously not something you want to see...will be interesting to see if they bring in a real backup or a practice squad body....

Those teams all have high priced QB's, so obviously they wouldn't start Hoyer. But if any one of them went down, Hoyer could start for them and be just as good. Nobody said he's going to be a Super Star, but he's definitely talented enough to start in this league.

I know but with a 35 year old starter and a QB with no real game experience I really thought they would go with three this year and than have Mallet move up to the #2 next year...I guess they have Edelman in a pinch but that's obviously not something you want to see...will be interesting to see if they bring in a real backup or a practice squad body....
If he doesn't get picked up somewhere else, the Pats will bring him back for less money.

There is no guarantee anyone will pick up Hoyer, but if the Pats needed to, they could swing a trade for Hoyer or Cassell if they really needed. I am not sure if the current staff in KC love Cassel as it is . . .I was more surprised they cut Koppen, given the struggles and health issues they had so far on the OL.

If he doesn't get picked up somewhere else, the Pats will bring him back for less money.
I don't believe it was a money issue . . . I believe it is a space issue. NE had 70 rosterable players and only 53 spots to keep them.The Pats have been looking to unload Hoyer for a long time and were ready to roll with just Mallett even last year. Maybe you are right, but at this stage I think they just don't want to waste a roster spot on a back up to a back up.

Users who are viewing this thread