What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Panthers fire Marty Hurney. (1 Viewer)

solorca

Footballguy
This is the start of a housecleaning in Carolina. Hurney should have been gone with John Fox a few years back.A little surprised it's happening now, but it's time for him to go.

Joe Person ‏@josephpersonPanthers GM Marty Hurney fired. panthers are NFL worst 9-29 since 2010.
Joe Person ‏@josephpersonJerry Richardson called it "an extremely difficult decision."Hurney has worked without a contract. so not difficult from legal standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
odd time to fire the GM.
:goodposting: What exactly does firing a GM mid-season do to help a team? Seems like a move to show the fanbase you're doing something. One would think a GM would be too important for that type of move though.

odd time to fire the GM.
It's a perfect time. Rivera and his staff will be gone at the end of the season (or maybe earlier in Rivera's case). This gives the Panthers a chance to hire (or at least scout, if it's someone they want from another team). This season is lost and everyone knows it...no reason to delay the inevitable. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rivera gone by the end of the day (I kind of doubt it happens, but it wouldn't surprise me). When Jerry Richardson decides to make a move, he's all in.

odd time to fire the GM.
It's a perfect time. Rivera and his staff will be gone at the end of the season (or maybe earlier in Rivera's case). This gives the Panthers a chance to hire a new GM and let him start scouting coaches to determine who will be on the list to interview/target. This season is lost and everyone knows it...no reason to delay the inevitable. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rivera gone by the end of the day (I kind of doubt it happens, but it wouldn't surprise me). When Jerry Richardson decides to make a move, he's all in.
Too early for that kind of talk IMO

odd time to fire the GM.
It's a perfect time. Rivera and his staff will be gone at the end of the season (or maybe earlier in Rivera's case). This gives the Panthers a chance to hire a new GM and let him start scouting coaches to determine who will be on the list to interview/target. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rivera gone by the end of the day (I kind of doubt it happens, but it wouldn't surprise me). When Jerry Richardson decides to make a move, he's all in.
Seems like a bit of a short leash after taking over a 2-14 team. Less than a year and a half?

odd time to fire the GM.
It's a perfect time. Rivera and his staff will be gone at the end of the season (or maybe earlier in Rivera's case). This gives the Panthers a chance to hire a new GM and let him start scouting coaches to determine who will be on the list to interview/target. This season is lost and everyone knows it...no reason to delay the inevitable. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rivera gone by the end of the day (I kind of doubt it happens, but it wouldn't surprise me). When Jerry Richardson decides to make a move, he's all in.
I guess but usually coaching staff is fired midseason (this one deserves to be) and GM at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong the whole thing needs to be blown up.

odd time to fire the GM.
It's a perfect time. Rivera and his staff will be gone at the end of the season (or maybe earlier in Rivera's case). This gives the Panthers a chance to hire (or at least scout, if it's someone they want from another team). This season is lost and everyone knows it...no reason to delay the inevitable. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rivera gone by the end of the day (I kind of doubt it happens, but it wouldn't surprise me). When Jerry Richardson decides to make a move, he's all in.
It depends. If Richardson can get the new GM he wants before the end of the season, it gives that GM time to determine some of the moves he wants to make related to the coaching staff and player personnel.But can he get the new GM he wants before the end of the season? If he wants to hire someone currently working for another NFL team, I would tend to doubt other teams will grant permission for Richardson to talk to them and potentially hire them midseason.

odd time to fire the GM.
It's a perfect time. Rivera and his staff will be gone at the end of the season (or maybe earlier in Rivera's case). This gives the Panthers a chance to hire a new GM and let him start scouting coaches to determine who will be on the list to interview/target. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rivera gone by the end of the day (I kind of doubt it happens, but it wouldn't surprise me). When Jerry Richardson decides to make a move, he's all in.
Seems like a bit of a short leash after taking over a 2-14 team. Less than a year and a half?
It seems that way, but the coaching this season is the worst I've ever seen from an NFL team (at least one that I follow closely), and I have witnessed a 1-15 and 2-14 Panthers season. The play calling is atrocious and they seem unable/unwilling to do anything to fix it. Rivera also is terrible at game management and frequently makes dumb mistakes in time management, etc.He may make it to the end of the season, but unless this team goes on a big run of wins, there is a 0% chance he's the coach next season...and he shouldn't be.

Isnt Cowher from NC? Think there were rumors about him and Panthers a few years ago....could be a GM/coach deal...much moe attractive team with Cam in place.

GM should have been fired with putting so much $ in that awful backfield

odd time to fire the GM.
It seems that way, but the coaching this season is the worst I've ever seen from an NFL team (at least one that I follow closely), and I have witnessed a 1-15 and 2-14 Panthers season. The play calling is atrocious and they seem unable/unwilling to do anything to fix it. Rivera also is terrible at game management and frequently makes dumb mistakes in time management, etc.He may make it to the end of the season, but unless this team goes on a big run of wins, there is a 0% chance he's the coach next season...and he shouldn't be.
At think anything less than 5 wins and the coaching staff is gone. I am with the above poster, this staff this year has been brutal on play calling, time management, game planning and adjustments. They are running some strange offense that nobody seems to be on board with. They have 3 above average running backs but never seem to get a running game going. If they keep doing that stupid option somebody is going to kill Newton

Isnt Cowher from NC? Think there were rumors about him and Panthers a few years ago....could be a GM/coach deal...much moe attractive team with Cam in place.GM should have been fired with putting so much $ in that awful backfield
If I know Richardson, Cowher will be the first call. I doubt he'll take the job, but I think Richardson will go after him.

I would whistle Dixie if Rivera and chudzinski or whatever his name is are fired today. They are second only to Dennis Allen and Greg knapp on the hot seat.

Rivera has no clue how to use the talent on his team. Their entire offense is a gimmick. It worked last year but as with all gimmicks (like the wild cat) nfl defenses caught up. Time to install a REAL offense.

Isnt Cowher from NC? Think there were rumors about him and Panthers a few years ago....could be a GM/coach deal...much moe attractive team with Cam in place.GM should have been fired with putting so much $ in that awful backfield
That would make perfect sense from a GM standpoint, probably not from a coach/gm

If I know Richardson, Cowher will be the first call. I doubt he'll take the job, but I think Richardson will go after him.
So you think Richardson will hire the coaching staff and not the future GM? :confused:

I think for Richardson to make this hasty change (something totally against his nature) then he already has someone lined up. Cowher would make sense but who knows

So you think Richardson will hire the coaching staff and not the future GM? :confused:
I think Richardson will go after Cowher as the GM, not as a coach.

That would make perfect sense from a GM standpoint, probably not from a coach/gm
Cant see Cowher as just a GM....and if he comes back as a coach it will likely be a GM/Coach combo or him picking a figure head lackey....will be interesting to see. He wouldbe a great coach for that team - wouldnt put up with Cam' attitude.

odd time to fire the GM.
It seems that way, but the coaching this season is the worst I've ever seen from an NFL team (at least one that I follow closely), and I have witnessed a 1-15 and 2-14 Panthers season. The play calling is atrocious and they seem unable/unwilling to do anything to fix it. Rivera also is terrible at game management and frequently makes dumb mistakes in time management, etc.

He may make it to the end of the season, but unless this team goes on a big run of wins, there is a 0% chance he's the coach next season...and he shouldn't be.
You should watch more Cowboys games.

I agree totally, Cowhers coaching days are long gone. His skill now is picking talent

I think for Richardson to make this hasty change (something totally against his nature) then he already has someone lined up. Cowher would make sense but who knows
That is what I'm thinking as well. It could also just be a way of showing the fanbase that he's making some changes. Hurney was a goner at the end of the season regardless, so I think there was no reason in delaying the inevitable.

New GM steps in to office on first day, looks at roster. "Now how do I go about getting my hands on some more tailbacks to not utilize...I need to tie up some more money there."

Cant see Cowher as just a GM....and if he comes back as a coach it will likely be a GM/Coach combo or him picking a figure head lackey....will be interesting to see. He wouldbe a great coach for that team - wouldnt put up with Cam' attitude.
If Cowher is interested coming back the Browns may make a play, he has ties there beyond geography.

odd time to fire the GM.
It seems that way, but the coaching this season is the worst I've ever seen from an NFL team (at least one that I follow closely), and I have witnessed a 1-15 and 2-14 Panthers season. The play calling is atrocious and they seem unable/unwilling to do anything to fix it. Rivera also is terrible at game management and frequently makes dumb mistakes in time management, etc.

He may make it to the end of the season, but unless this team goes on a big run of wins, there is a 0% chance he's the coach next season...and he shouldn't be.
I did yesterday. The Cowboys staff completely outcoached Carolina.

Normally I would say yes, but this coaching staff has shown it has no clue how to take advantage of the talent the team has.
Exactly...plus, I am guessing it does not help that Fox has done better in Denver. Living in NC, I pay attention to the team more than any other than my Jets, but I can't seem to remember whether axing fox was hurney's idea or richardson's.

If Cowher is interested coming back the Browns may make a play, he has ties there beyond geography.
If Cowher comes back there is no way he picks the Browns of Charlotte. No way in hades.

I agree totally, Cowhers coaching days are long gone. His skill now is picking talent
Predicting it is still a reach though.How often do big name additions happen? Especially with Carolina

odd time to fire the GM.

I did yesterday. The Cowboys staff completely outcoached Carolina.
blind squirrel, nut, you know the drillIt was nice to see SOME team get more penalties than the Cowboys, though.

Normally I would say yes, but this coaching staff has shown it has no clue how to take advantage of the talent the team has.
Exactly...plus, I am guessing it does not help that Fox has done better in Denver. Living in NC, I pay attention to the team more than any other than my Jets, but I can't seem to remember whether axing fox was hurney's idea or richardson's.
Fox wasnt fired, Richardson simply didnt renew his contract

Maybe they'll use Greg Olsen more now
I dont watch the games too close - how are they not using this guy? Seems to be one of their best playmakers and gets only few targets per game.
When there are injuries on the O-Line, Olsen is mainly a blocker. Last year it happened when Otah went out with injury, and this year with the Kalil injury (and the subsequent movement on the line) they moved him to that role. If the line shows improvement and meshes together, he'll block less...but for now, I think a drop-off in production is likely as he blocks more.

Predicting it is still a reach though.How often do big name additions happen? Especially with Carolina
what do you mean?Richardson got Seifert back at a time when everyone thought he was a hall of fame coach. If that is what you are talking aoubt. They got Sean Gilbert, reggie white and others, they are not afraid of the big splash name

^^ That is telling, the only notable big name additions were 15+ years ago. I hope it happens but realistically what are the odds? Cowher seems happy doing the media thing IMO

Who predicted it? I said he'd be the first call...Richardson has went after him before.

If Cowher comes back there is no way he picks the Browns of Charlotte. No way in hades.
:shrug:The man had a chair from the Browns old stadium in his office at Pittsburgh. He played there, he coached there. You can say it would make no sense to, but it is clear a part of his heart is with the Browns.The only reason he's been attached to Carolina is he lives close. His kids are older now this is not nearly the draw it was once thought to be.

^^ That is telling, the only notable big name additions were 15+ years ago. I hope it happens but realistically what are the odds? Cowher seems happy doing the media thing IMO
The odds are long but my point is that Richardson is not afraid of the home run try. Remember he tried to get Spurrier as well. Its a long shot and I think Cowher is happy but if he was picking a team Carolina would be it. Proximity to Raleigh, relationship with Richrdson, the talent on the existing roster etc.

This means nothing, but just had this conversation with my wife last week when we saw Cowher on the pre-game show, so thought I would share (pure speculation). He lives about a 1 mile or so from me, and when he first retired, I saw him all over the place (like Waldo)...since his wife passed, I have yet to see him. Obviously it could be coincidence, but I think he moved back here originally so she could spend time with her sister (they were twin stars on the NC State basketball team in the 70s). I am not sure whether he still has the home (even if he does, it would be just a drop in the bucket for him to hold for a better market), but I am not sure whether this is where he wants to be. Years ago, I think he was just waiting for some type of turnover in the Panthers organization, but doubt it is any more of a draw than Cle, or where his kids reside (wherever that may be...thinking NY area).Also, with what they are paying for TV personalities now, it would not surprise me at all if he never comes back to an organization...make $1.5 million working a few days a week with a huge offseason, or make $5 million or so working 24/7...after you already made more money than you can spend. I'd take the former.

:shrug:The man had a chair from the Browns old stadium in his office at Pittsburgh. He played there, he coached there. You can say it would make no sense to, but it is clear a part of his heart is with the Browns.The only reason he's been attached to Carolina is he lives close. His kids are older now this is not nearly the draw it was once thought to be.
I am going to leave it at this. All things considered (roster, location, relationship etc) there is no way he chooses Cleveland over Charlotte. Chair or no chair.

This means nothing, but just had this conversation with my wife last week when we saw Cowher on the pre-game show, so thought I would share (pure speculation). He lives about a 1 mile or so from me, and when he first retired, I saw him all over the place (like Waldo)...since his wife passed, I have yet to see him. Obviously it could be coincidence, but I think he moved back here originally so she could spend time with her sister (they were twin stars on the NC State basketball team in the 70s). I am not sure whether he still has the home (even if he does, it would be just a drop in the bucket for him to hold for a better market), but I am not sure whether this is where he wants to be. Years ago, I think he was just waiting for some type of turnover in the Panthers organization, but doubt it is any more of a draw than Cle, or where his kids reside (wherever that may be...thinking NY area).Also, with what they are paying for TV personalities now, it would not surprise me at all if he never comes back to an organization...make $1.5 million working a few days a week with a huge offseason, or make $5 million or so working 24/7...after you already made more money than you can spend. I'd take the former.
I agree he may never go back to coaching, or become a GM.When his wife passed spending time with his daughters was huge, they are older now. I don;t know that being close to home would play in that much, it may. I am simply saying his history with and affection for the Browns could easily play in just as much, and hell maybe neither plays in. Any of us who predict which way he would go are just guessing.

I am going to leave it at this. All things considered (roster, location, relationship etc) there is no way he chooses Cleveland over Charlotte. Chair or no chair.
ok Mr Cowher, thanks for the insight into your mind.

Cleveland the city sucks. The weather is putrid. Cleveland the team is a total rebuild. They have a 28 year old qb starting that might be starter material might not. Their defense is bad and their is little at the skill position other than Richardson.

The panthers play in a nice climate, great owner, and the pieces are in place on the team. A franchise qb, 2 stud running backs and pretty good defensive talent.

Cleveland the city sucks. The weather is putrid. Cleveland the team is a total rebuild. They have a 28 year old qb starting that might be starter material might not. Their defense is bad and their is little at the skill position other than Richardson.The panthers play in a nice climate, great owner, and the pieces are in place on the team. A franchise qb, 2 stud running backs and pretty good defensive talent.
You already told us where you would go, Bill. You revealed that you would choose geography and Cam Newton over history and the team you love (and a possible #1 overall pick!). The record is clear.I was unsure, not being you, and was open to either choice, or neither (Maybe there's a talented Eagles team you'd want to coach). But the answer is clear now, Carolina is the most desirable job imaginable to you, William "the chin" Cowher.We heard it here first

They should fire the coaching staff first.i dont own dwill, or any panthers for that matter, but 2 carries for dwill is crazy.

So Richardson is allowing Cam Newton to dictate team policy with his rant after losing to Dallas at home. Richardson was on the Charlie Rose show back in August

. I think Carolina is going to take a while to turn around.

Users who are viewing this thread