What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Out Of Touch With Reality (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hammond

Footballguy
The fact that there are athletes who are out of touch with reality when it comes to their value or job security is nothing new, but a couple of Roto news blurbs popped up back-to-back this morning that made me think of it again and just shake my head.

The first is Marshawn Lynch planning to hold out of mandatory OTAs because he wants more money. Reality check, Marshawn, you're 28 not 24, there's a young stud right behind you in C Michael, and you make plenty of money given today's RB market. I guess he needs to feed his family -- as well as a few African countries.

The second is Knowshon Moreno, basically a bust his whole career since being drafted in the first round. Until last season of course, thanks to defenses having to try to somehow slow down Peyton Manning, giving Moreno lots of opportunity to post volume stats. His 13 total TDs were easily a career high, matching the three previous seasons combined, and his 60 receptions topped his previous high by 24. Denver knows he's not special and let him walk, and he lands in Miami OUT OF SHAPE!

First, how does a freaking running back -- whose job it is to run -- even manage to get out of shape in four months anyway? Wasn't he playing in a Super Bowl in February? Second, doesn't he realize he has to compete for a job in Miami? Wasn't Denver letting him walk a little hint he's not going to be handed anything?

Good luck thinking you have job security in the NFL, Lynch and Moreno. Stupid, stupid people, not understanding at all how lucky they are, what a precious thing they have, and how incredibly obscenely they are paid compared to the average working man or woman, to play a game. Just a couple recent examples though; I could go on and on and on and on with examples. I wonder if agents try to help these guys see reality or just feed their egos.

Oh, almost forgot. The blurbs that prompted my post:

Marshawn Lynch - RB - Seahawks

Sources confirm to ESPN that Marshawn Lynch is expected to skip next week's mandatory minicamp because he wants a new contract.
Lynch apparently hasn't gotten the memo regarding the declining financial value of running backs in today's NFL. He's owed base salaries of $5 million in 2014 and $5.5 million in 2015, along with another $2.5 million in total roster bonuses during that span. The Seahawks would be insane to give a raise to a 28-year-old two-down back that has piled up 901 violent carries over the last three seasons -- especially since they have second-year RB Christine Michael ready to explode. If Lynch skips the three-day mandatory minicamp, something he's never done in his career, he'll be subject to nearly $70,000 in fines.
Related: Christine Michael
Source: ESPN.com
Jun 12 - 8:30 AM

Knowshon Moreno - RB - Dolphins

Knowshon Moreno admitted that his fitness is "definitely not there."
Moreno was dropped all the way down to third- and fourth-string work during Monday's OTAs while Lamar Miller continues to get the bulk of first-team reps. That doesn't mean this battle is over. Moreno pledged to stay in Miami for the bulk of his summer vacation, "working out in the heat." The Miami Herald is tentatively expecting the end result here to be a committee approach. Miller, a more talented natural runner, will try to ride this early edge to the lead part of that committee.
Related: Lamar Miller
Source: Miami Herald
Jun 12 - 8:19 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Both of these guys are vastly over estimating their value. That said, I can't blame Lynch for trying to get every nickel he can because his window is starting to close.

Lynch asking for a contract now as they talk about bringing in Christine Michael is very smart. If Seattle doesn't want to pay up then he can ask to be moved. After winning the bowl it would be very difficult to move on from Lynch as they are poised to go to the bowl again and the fans would absolutely lose it if Seattle moves Lynch.

Lynch asking for a contract now as they talk about bringing in Christine Michael is very smart. If Seattle doesn't want to pay up then he can ask to be moved. After winning the bowl it would be very difficult to move on from Lynch as they are poised to go to the bowl again and the fans would absolutely lose it if Seattle moves Lynch.
Agreed. What's the downside of this play for Lynch? Nothing. This may very well result in nothing for Lynch, but he's not risking anything besides some fan backlash by requesting that Seattle restructure his deal.

As for Moreno, he probably just got a new contract and got complacent for a few months. Dumb, sure.

While we're on the topic, add WR's that can't give up the herb to this list. If I wanted weed so badly that it risked a $X,XXX,XXX per year contract, I'd hire someone for $100K whose only job was to spend every waking minute by my side not allowing me to smoke.

My view on Lynch is different than the couple of posters above. I think he's a lot more replaceable than they, or Lynch, realize. He won't get his raise, and he may end up on the street in a year like Jones-Drew and making a whole lot less than what he'll get in SEA if he decides he's going to be a pain. Michael is more than capable of taking his job.

if its august and lynch is still sitting out and Moreno is out of shape then its out of touch with reality until then ...

My view on Lynch is different than the couple of posters above. I think he's a lot more replaceable than they, or Lynch, realize. He won't get his raise, and he may end up on the street in a year like Jones-Drew and making a whole lot less than what he'll get in SEA if he decides he's going to be a pain. Michael is more than capable of taking his job.
I don't think being a pain is going to impact when he's on the street. He's smart to be doing this now IMO, whatever leverage he has now is only going to decrease in another year.

You clearly are on the bandwagon of Michael calling him a young stud and listening to every blurb Rotoworld says?

You people kill me with this stuff and are what is really out of touch with reality.

Lynch = Replaceable

Michael = Stud

My head hurts.

I get this, but did you REALLY appreciate what you had when you were in HS and college? I certainly enjoyed my time, worked hard and played hard, but I never thought, "Man, this is awesome. I take a couple of classes a day, get to lift, goof off with my friends, and do it the next day too". I actually find that people appreciate these types of things when they don't have it (i.e. started in the Army and then went back to school).

Even now, as a 40 year-old man, I don't think too often, "Yikes, I better get in as much rec league hockey as I can, because I am not going to have too many more years to do it".

I am not saying they aren't being stupid, but they are living in the moment, and I understand (not necessarily accept) why they do that.

I don't think being a pain is going to impact when he's on the street. He's smart to be doing this now IMO, whatever leverage he has now is only going to decrease in another year.
I think he has no leverage now or later, that's the point. They've restructured the pay increase deals they are going to this year. I disagree he has nothing to lose. He's not currently being underpaid, and he's creating a perception about himself, and all he's doing is alienating the Seattle braintrust and giving them additional reason to not keep him past this year. If he keeps his mouth shut and acts like a team leader, he may get to play out his contract like Gore in SF. If he instead shows selfishness and disloyalty and puts HC Carroll's 'everyone competes every year for his job' mantra to the test, he expedites his exit (a la MJD and his ill-fated holdout last year) and makes less in 2015 somewhere else than under his current contract in Seattle.

You clearly are on the bandwagon of Michael calling him a young stud and listening to every blurb Rotoworld says?

You people kill me with this stuff and are what is really out of touch with reality.

Lynch = Replaceable

Michael = Stud

My head hurts.
Been following football long? Wash, rinse, repeat... year after year after year. This is how it goes in the NFL, like it or not.

Lynch = Replaceable

Michael = Stud

My head hurts.
Been following football long? Wash, rinse, repeat... year after year after year. This is how it goes in the NFL, like it or not.
I must have missed all the times when Pro Bowl players under contract got pushed out the door right after turning 28 by late 2nd round 2nd year guys who basically got redshirted as rookies.

And I'm pretty certain that Pete Carroll has been around the block enough times to know not to take it personally when someone misses a few OTAs trying to get more money.

The NFL isn't FF, and thinking that Christine Michael can just step in right now and replace everything that Marshawn Lynch brings as a reliable, durable, versatile 3 down RB and team leader is more delusional than Lynch's holdout.

OK I'm delusional. And we'll bump this thread in a year.

And we're not saying 'right after turning 28.' we're saying at age 29.4 which is what he'll be at the start of the '15 season, when C Michael will have had a year of RBBC under his belt.

I'm delusional as well. Honestly, while I think C. Michael is a guy that isn't an exact clone of Lynch, I think he's maybe better. Give him the rock at his age and less wear and tear of the 900 plus carries that Lynch has had and I'll take my chances on younger, cheaper, better to get production. Lynch has relied on mostly volume to get his production, and it speaks to his durability and toughness. But you are correct in pointing out that at his age he's overpaid. The NFL is a F U pay me now league. It's silly for Marshawn not to just enjoy the fat paychecks he's getting now. Next year, he's likely making MJD type money, which still isn't bad money if you can get that kind of gig. Christine Michael is primed to be a top 3 FF redraft pick in 2015 if Marshawn decides to check out.

I just pullled this statement from a poster at espn. Does it have merit?

"He KNOWS they will cut him next year....since the CAP hit on his deal is 9 million. It's the NFL way! If he doesn't take a pay cut...he WILL BE CUT. So it's best to renegotiate now...get more money guaranteed and up front. If they do it right,,,,it would actually reduce the team's CAP hit next year. Smart man!!!!"

They just broke the bank for Sherman, they have a lot of upward pressure to pay Russell Wilson, and some are saying he's going to flirt with the $20 to $25 mill a year range. The decision to cut Lynch will be an easy one. Especially with Michael waiting in the wings and Lynch's age. This is what the NFL does, churns em and burns em.

I'm delusional as well. Honestly, while I think C. Michael is a guy that isn't an exact clone of Lynch, I think he's maybe better. Give him the rock at his age and less wear and tear of the 900 plus carries that Lynch has had and I'll take my chances on younger, cheaper, better to get production. Lynch has relied on mostly volume to get his production, and it speaks to his durability and toughness. But you are correct in pointing out that at his age he's overpaid. The NFL is a F U pay me now league. It's silly for Marshawn not to just enjoy the fat paychecks he's getting now. Next year, he's likely making MJD type money, which still isn't bad money if you can get that kind of gig. Christine Michael is primed to be a top 3 FF redraft pick in 2015 if Marshawn decides to check out.
:lmao:

Which one of his 18 touches convinced you of this?

JohnnyU said:

"He KNOWS they will cut him next year....since the CAP hit on his deal is 9 million. It's the NFL way! If he doesn't take a pay cut...he WILL BE CUT. So it's best to renegotiate now...get more money guaranteed and up front. If they do it right,,,,it would actually reduce the team's CAP hit next year. Smart man!!!!"
I think it has a ton of merit (shocking it came from an ESPN board/poster). They will cut him or ask him to take a pay cut. Seattle just tied up a ton of cap room in their Defensive backfield, and still have Russell Wilson to get signed (sooner or later). Even if Michael and Turbin are not a perfect replacement for Lynch, at some point you have to prioritize who you are keeping due to the cap, and a 28 year-old bruising RB with 900 carries in the last three years, is typically not a wise investment.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:

Let's bump this in a year shall we?

JohnnyU said:

Yes. His cap hit for 2015 is 9 million including his 2 million roster bonus. Only 1,5 of that is guaranteed so they would save 7,5 mill by cutting him. They could of course restructure and get him to take a paycut, but it's been obvious for quite some time that his current contract would not live past the 2014/15 offseason.

Coeur de Lion said:
Bruce Hammond said:
So your contention is that Seattle will cut Lynch next year at least in part due to his decision to miss a few OTAs this year?
You left out the word "Mandatory" OTAs. My contention is team leaders who add something extra with their leadership have a better chance to stick and be rewarded for past production than those who instead become distractions. He is now a distraction, and by this act of protesting his very reasonable salary given his age and the market, yes, he is more likely to be cut than if he'd demonstrated leadership instead.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:

He even went out to say that Michael is a top 3 pick in redraft. Christine Michael is the housing market in 2006.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:

Don't you just love it when guys use that spinning smiley as if you're some sort of idiot? This bump next year is gonna be sweet.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:

God, don't you just love it when guys use that spinning smiley as if you're some sort of idiot? This bump next year is gonna be sweet.
you're preaching to the choir. I'm all in on C Mike if he ever gets the shot.

JohnnyU said:

Yes. His cap hit for 2015 is 9 million including his 2 million roster bonus. Only 1,5 of that is guaranteed so they would save 7,5 mill by cutting him. They could of course restructure and get him to take a paycut, but it's been obvious for quite some time that his current contract would not live past the 2014/15 offseason.
Btw, the roster bonus is not one of those bonuses that is due March 15. It is a 125k game bonus for every game he is active. In addition to that he has a 500k bonus if he passes 1500 yds in 2015.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:
:lmao: Which one of his 18 touches convinced you of this?
Don't you just love it when guys use that spinning smiley as if you're some sort of idiot? This bump next year is gonna be sweet.
If Michael is indeed better than Lynch then no one is going to have to wait a year to bump anything. Best guy plays in Seattle -- give us an over / under on which week of the 2014 season we can expect Michael to be getting more touches than Lynch.

Phenix said:
Bruce Hammond said:

Lynch = Replaceable

Michael = Stud

My head hurts.
If they were both 23 this is a valid point. At 28 Lynch is replaceable. CM being a stud remains to be seen

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:
If Michael is indeed better than Lynch then no one is going to have to wait a year to bump anything. Best guy plays in Seattle -- give us an over / under on which week of the 2014 season we can expect Michael to be getting more touches than Lynch.
:rolleyes:

Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:
This is why the hype is out of hand. You are saying you think if Lynch just disappeared off the planet today he's better than:

One of :

AD

McCoy

Charles

and clearly better than:

Foster

Martin

Alf

Lacy

Le'Veon

Murray

Ball

and whoever else I can't think of off the top of my head. There is no doubt Seattle's next back holds great value and Michael looks like a good to great talent. Right now though, the worth and the hype are way out of line. He is not the next AD. To be that special you don't get deactivated your whole first year. You can point to Priest Holmes or TD but those guys ran behind great lines/systems (which would be in line as the same as Michael) and that isn't even taking anything away from them but AD is a rare, rare back.

What I've seen of Michael is yes, I think he's every bit as talented as AD. There I said it. Go ahead and block me or throw some smiley emoticons at me.

What I've seen of Michael is yes, I think he's every bit as talented as AD. There I said it. Go ahead and block me or throw some smiley emoticons at me.
You guys really should trade him now with all the smoke youre blowing up peoples asses. You'll be able to get him back at very least reasonable costs when he proves to be just another NFL RB. He looks more like Travis Henry with better hands to me.

Regarding Lynch it does not really make a difference if he's replaceable or how good Michael's might be. What matters is Lynch is fully aware of the strong possibility he'll be 29 next off season with more wear and tear and Seattle will likely outright release him or ask him to take a pay cut.He'll have demand still but every year the demand for him will lessen.

Basically he's 28 year old workhorse RB who despite being under contract in 2015 is really on a one year $5-5.5 million dollar deal.

The logical thing to do is try and have either your contract increased, have some of your 2015 salary converted into a signing bonus so he gets some protection against getting released next off season or worst cast scenario get moved to a new team that will restructure his deal to provide him more guarantees over the next 2-3 years.

Personally I think Lynch is making a sound business decision and really has nothing to lose.

And before I'm attacked I don't have anything against Michael. I, infact, agree he is a good prospect but I would gladly take a lot of other options over him right now and for the foreseeable future.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:
I think it's pretty obvious you're grasping now. I don't need to answer that sort of question. This is a transition year, anyone listening without bias to the words coming from Seattle coaches get that, but it doesn't have to mean there is some cutoff date.

You guys really should trade him now with all the smoke youre blowing up peoples asses. You'll be able to get him back at very least reasonable costs when he proves to be just another NFL RB. He looks more like Travis Henry with better hands to me.
For the record, I didn't call C Michael a top 3 redraft back in 2015. That was Raiderfan's call. I'm not prepared to say that, but he'll likely be a lot higher ranked dynasty back a year from now if Lynch is gone than most believe right now.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:
I think it's pretty obvious you're grasping now. I don't need to answer that sort of question. This is a transition year, anyone listening without bias to the words coming from Seattle coaches get that, but it doesn't have to mean there is some cutoff where one plays and the other doesn't. They aren't QBs.
So I'm the one grasping when I doubt that a Pro Bowl RB still in (admittedly the tail end of) his prime isn't just so easily replaced by a non-elite prospect we really don't know too much about, but the guy saying Michael = Adrian Peterson doesn't merit any commentary? I respect your opinion, CP, but making huge definitive judgements on completely unknown young players isn't a high percentage play in FF.

Bruce Hammond said:
humpback said:
Bruce Hammond said:
I think he has no leverage now or later, that's the point. They've restructured the pay increase deals they are going to this year. I disagree he has nothing to lose. He's not currently being underpaid, and he's creating a perception about himself, and all he's doing is alienating the Seattle braintrust and giving them additional reason to not keep him past this year. If he keeps his mouth shut and acts like a team leader, he may get to play out his contract like Gore in SF. If he instead shows selfishness and disloyalty and puts HC Carroll's 'everyone competes every year for his job' mantra to the test, he expedites his exit (a la MJD and his ill-fated holdout last year) and makes less in 2015 somewhere else than under his current contract in Seattle.
You don't think that one of the most productive, durable RBs in the NFL coming off of a SB championship has any leverage? I'm not saying he has a ton, but he certainly has more today than he will a year from now. I think you're vastly overstating this "leadership" angle- he's never been a leader, and Seattle isn't making any decisions about his future based on that.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:
Hahaha! The guy couldn't even make through a season in college! He's a committee back. No more, no less. A lot of folks with so much invested in this guy will be hating FF life over the next 2-3 years.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:
You said it yourself that CP's contention is that Lynch will be out in a year (not mid-year). It appears to me that you are moving the goal posts.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:

Must make your day, huh? Letting the 20 people responding to this thread know that Bruce Hammond was right in the great C. Michael vs. M. Lynch debate of June 12, 2014.

Epic.

The fact that a 28 year old's career is almost over tells you this isn't the same reality as ours. If Lynch feels he's in a position of leverage to get one final bump in his contract then why not take a crack at it? He's weighing the chances they cut him for an unproven back in the middle of their Super Bowl window. It's a solid gamble on his part.

Coeur de Lion said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bruce Hammond said:
You said it yourself that CP's contention is that Lynch will be out in a year (not mid-year). It appears to me that you are moving the goal posts.
Not trying to move anything -- it's pretty obvious that Lynch is unlikely to be in Seattle after 2014 under his current contract. I do think that the chances of him restructuring and sticking around are greater than most people seem to, however.

What I find ridiculous is the belief that Lynch's current holdout will have any effect whatsoever on a decision next year that will be made based on financial / football terms. And the Michael > Lynch, = Peterson nonsense, of course.

Either way, calling any player "delusional" for trying to make as much money as possible isn't really of much value IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread