What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (5 Viewers)

Thanks, I've read that, but I'm only concerned with the running part.  I've been running since February, and lost 25 pounds and have gotten much faster.  I did my first two maf workouts and they were slow, but that's ok but I don't want to power walk for too long. 

The thing I found weird was I would walk at 4.5 mph at my allowed heart rate, but when I changed to a very slow jog at the same speed, my heart rate would jump to 160+, despite it feeling easier.  I just want to get to a slow jog, walking is embarrassing.  
This is a common complaint for those that start. But why? No one cares what speed you are traveling. Seriously. When's the last time you passed a walker/jogger and laughed about their pace?

It doesn't take long. I went through the same thing. But if your HR spikes, it slows the process down. Remember why you're doing this in the first place -- to get faster/get healthier. Just another step in that journey. If you need to, go somewhere that no one sees you.

Oh, and head on over to the 10K thread and hang around.

Important week here. Bad decisions were made Sat-Mon and more will be made this Sat. To limit the damage from next Tues-Fri need to be on point (Sat withstanding) between yesterday and then. 
I totally jinxed myself already.  I missed on both days and now I’m sick.  Good news is I usually don’t feel like eating when I’m sick.

Thanks, I've read that, but I'm only concerned with the running part.  I've been running since February, and lost 25 pounds and have gotten much faster.  I did my first two maf workouts and they were slow, but that's ok but I don't want to power walk for too long. 

The thing I found weird was I would walk at 4.5 mph at my allowed heart rate, but when I changed to a very slow jog at the same speed, my heart rate would jump to 160+, despite it feeling easier.  I just want to get to a slow jog, walking is embarrassing.  
Well, you've lost 25 pounds, so it's hard to argue you are doing things wrong.  :lol:

But, you may be the type that has a higher max heart rate than most. If you don't mind me asking, what's your age?  

Planning to start my annual maintenance diet in Jan. Last year did Keto, but want to try one of the food tracking apps / guides / points this year. Any recommendations? WW? iTrackBites? I dont really want to track as I go, I just want to use the points guide to create a weekly menu. 

41, took it to the 10K thread
If your max heart rate is like mine, running at 139 bpm is almost impossible.

You could probably do a slow run at 149 or so and still be in your aerobic zone. That should be doable for you. 

Days 17&18/100

Went to the yoga/pilates class last night. I still doin't know what pilates is, but I think I'll start adding this class to my rotation. I definitely broke a sweat, but it was a really good hour of stretching, and my muscles felt great afterward.

Got out this morning for a 2 1/4 mile run. It was 28 degrees. I was in shorts. And no gloves. I'm stupid.

Bank: $180

Planning to start my annual maintenance diet in Jan. Last year did Keto, but want to try one of the food tracking apps / guides / points this year. Any recommendations? WW? iTrackBites? I dont really want to track as I go, I just want to use the points guide to create a weekly menu. 
If you don't want to track, I'd say avoid WW.

I didn't expect much regression from November, but I expected some. To my surprise, I actually lost 2 pounds. What i thought was the 2019 low of 186 is now 184. I've been working very hard, but as brutal as exercise has been the last two weeks the diet's been equally as bad. And tomorrow begins a one week assault. But now I'm thinking maybe I can get to my January 9 weigh-in at 18X. 

Day 19/100

Went out for a 20 minute run this evening, and thought it was a good opportunity to take the dog with me. For it being only his second time running with me, he wasn't horrible, however, I think I burned just as many calories running as I did keeping him from bolting in odd directions. I'd really like him to be the kind of dog that can just run next to me on a slack leash, but I don't know how to accomplish that.

Bank: $190

December 22 Row: 5k

Total distance so far: 80,630m 

It was fine. Just fine. But I almost didn’t bother today, so it’s something. I’ll have no problem knocking out 20k in the next 9 days. May try and do a few 10ks in that period. I’m taking time from work and it’s the holidays and hard to have a solid routine in those circumstances, but no problem. And come January 2 I’m back to hitting the regular routine, which will feel nice after all this eating and drinking. 

I’d be lying if I said the thought hadn’t crossed my mind...
I’m debating what to do this last week.  Despite being all over the place with my eating (and drinking) the last two months  I’ve managed to workout enough to offset.  Was 160.5 after my run yesterday and then had a Xmas lunch and birthday dinner and just went full glutton at both.

I love the idea of starting 2020 with a head start but I also love the idea of eating and drinking everything I can the next week.  

I’m debating what to do this last week.  Despite being all over the place with my eating (and drinking) the last two months  I’ve managed to workout enough to offset.  Was 160.5 after my run yesterday and then had a Xmas lunch and birthday dinner and just went full glutton at both.

I love the idea of starting 2020 with a head start but I also love the idea of eating and drinking everything I can the next week.  
Push the envelope, with both exercise and the gluttony. Clean up the latter in January and end that month in better shape than if you didn't push yourself these 2 weeks. 

Week 1 : -4

Week 2 : +1.2  

Week 3:   - .5     I'l take it

Total: -3.3

Hey I know its not much - I was lazy tracking this past week just cause all the holiday stuff plus retirement dinner (not for me)

Just need to get past Thursday relatively cleanly and its full speed ahead.   This might be the first December I don't gain weight :)

My short term goal is to lose 17 pounds by 2/1 - slightly aggressive I know  maybe unrealistic.

If you count this week - hope to be no gain thats six weeks so 2.8 pounds a week.  

My full goal is 40 by 5/1 that would put me at 175.

Ok so after three weeks I am down 8.5 lbs.  I am really happy with the good start and have kept to the plan except for my annual end of the year guys lunch.  I calculated the steak alone and it was 45 WW points (more than my entire daily allowance). I couldn’t figure out the rest of the meal given half of the Atlantic seaboard was on the two shellfish towers we got and the amount of drinks and other sides we had were basically endless. It was the fifth year in a row we had the meal and no way was I going to kept to plan. This week coming up will be tough but think I can have more control than that one meal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so after three weeks I am down 8.5 lbs.  I am really happy with the good start and have kept to the plan except for my annual end of the year guys lunch.  I calculated the steak alone and it was 45 WW points. I couldn’t figure out the rest of the meal given half of the Atlantic seaboard was on the two shellfish towers we got and the amount of drinks and other sides we had were basically endless. It was the fifth year in a row the meal and no way was I going to kept to plan. This week coming up will be tough but think I can have more control than that one meal. 
my biggest issue is we literally have 4 work parties plus my sisters, then for this week - eve, day and day after....

I usually start off good but have a few drinks and then crush food and my grandmother still bakes us like 500 cookies :lmao:

my biggest issue is we literally have 4 work parties plus my sisters, then for this week - eve, day and day after....

I usually start off good but have a few drinks and then crush food and my grandmother still bakes us like 500 cookies :lmao:
Something going on every night starting Friday except for yesterday through Thursday. Tis the season to hold on for dear life and somehow just not get worse. 

Days 20/21 of 100

Went to the gym for 30mins on the elliptical, then worked Saturday night. Got home about about 8am, went to sleep at 9, then got up at 11 for football. Went and watched at my buddy's house, then came home and slept for a few hours. Got dressed to go for a walk/run, opened the door... pouring rain and cold af. I haven't been feeling great anyway, so I didn't want to push it. Skipped the day.

Going to the gym today.

Bank: $200

xulf said:
We made a million cookies last night.  Fortunately, I had the self control to only have 2 with breakfast  :coffee:
We made a million cookies, And I ATE them all.

I'm a fatguy on a sugar high I ride

I want it (want it) sugar to survive

belljr said:

Absolutely the thing that kills me the last few months.  Feels like I can stay in pretty good control until I start drinking and then it just seems to trigger something.  And I'm not talking drunk where I'm not thinking straight, it just triggers me to devour anything in sight.

Like everyone else, I expect that this week will be horrible for the diet.  I’ll try to up my activity to counter it partially, but there’s only so much I can do.

I’ve completed 24 straight days on the Tecumseh challenge, and I’m still hovering at the bottom of the top quarter of the team mileage challenge I joined.  The first segment of the latter ends on Christmas, but I’ll keep it up until the next segment officially starts Jan. 1.

Hoping to maintain for the next couple of weeks.  My BMI has gone from 19.5 to 20.5 in the last 6 months (gained about 10 lbs) and I feel chubby and sluggish.  It’s embarrassing and it 100% my fault.  Too much food and too much alcohol.  This will stop once the holidays are over as I just don’t like feeling this way. 🙁

Came down with either the flu or food poisoning last night. The negatives: last night was absolutely awful and I won’t be getting a row in. The positive: little bit of a reset heading in to Christmas.

Redwes25 said:
Ok so after three weeks I am down 8.5 lbs.  I am really happy with the good start and have kept to the plan except for my annual end of the year guys lunch.  I calculated the steak alone and it was 45 WW points (more than my entire daily allowance). I couldn’t figure out the rest of the meal given half of the Atlantic seaboard was on the two shellfish towers we got and the amount of drinks and other sides we had were basically endless. It was the fifth year in a row we had the meal and no way was I going to kept to plan. This week coming up will be tough but think I can have more control than that one meal. 
You doing WW?  I may have to try this. Sounds like it’s working for folks.  

you just go to the website and sign up?

Maybe I have a tapeworm.

12/23:  -2.6 lbs

Total through 15 weeks:  -32.2 lbs
Wow, that is excellent.  Great job. WW = Weight Watchers, right? I have a friend who did that, and he was successful with it too, but I don't think he had a tapeworm like you.

Nearly finished with my before pic; weight = 220.  I'm nearing Otis territoryprobably, very near 30% body fat. BUT, I spent a big chunk of change last week on my new phone, watch and earbuds. I feel like the Spicoli's Dad of fitness gear and I've got a nine days to figure out how all this technology works.  

Goal is the same as the previous x years, drop 55 pounds of body fat and add a lean 10 pounds of muscle; goal = 175# carrying 8.5% bodyfat.  Additionally, according to bank records, I'm seven months removed from my last haircut.  I'm going for the Jesus bod in 2020.  I also welcome any hair care tips along the way.

Once again, I'll crank up the water fast effort.  I'm going to begin immediately after a huge Christmas day feast, and hope that I can last until New Year's day.  Nothing but water, black coffee and Himalayan pink salt.

I'm pretty sure I have the diet figured out.  Meats, legumes, nuts, and fruit in moderation while allowing myself unlimited access to fresh vegetables and olive oil.  A little bit of rice along the way, and even less bread.

You doing WW?  I may have to try this. Sounds like it’s working for folks.  

you just go to the website and sign up?
Yup and have done it before. It works great but tracking food is a pain but worth keeping with it.  You can sign up with the App and all food and activity tracking can be done through the App. You can synche the app with fitness apps you use and it updates that stuff automatically but food you have to enter it in. 

Nearly finished with my before pic; weight = 220.  I'm nearing Otis territoryprobably, very near 30% body fat. BUT, I spent a big chunk of change last week on my new phone, watch and earbuds. I feel like the Spicoli's Dad of fitness gear and I've got a nine days to figure out how all this technology works.  

Goal is the same as the previous x years, drop 55 pounds of body fat and add a lean 10 pounds of muscle; goal = 175# carrying 8.5% bodyfat.  Additionally, according to bank records, I'm seven months removed from my last haircut.  I'm going for the Jesus bod in 2020.  I also welcome any hair care tips along the way.

Once again, I'll crank up the water fast effort.  I'm going to begin immediately after a huge Christmas day feast, and hope that I can last until New Year's day.  Nothing but water, black coffee and Himalayan pink salt.

I'm pretty sure I have the diet figured out.  Meats, legumes, nuts, and fruit in moderation while allowing myself unlimited access to fresh vegetables and olive oil.  A little bit of rice along the way, and even less bread.
I'm looking forward to your updates.  :)  

Yup and have done it before. It works great but tracking food is a pain but worth keeping with it.  You can sign up with the App and all food and activity tracking can be done through the App. You can synche the app with fitness apps you use and it updates that stuff automatically but food you have to enter it in. 
Yeah, I have mine synced to the Apple Health app on my phone, although the activity points only matter if you switch them for food points (which I don't).  Still like having it synced and tracked anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread