What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OG Members Check In (1 Viewer)

there was some guy in the shark pool who would post really hilariuos but wierd takes something like beast or something like that and he made me laugh i thought he was the jumpy and quo originator but i might be wrong does anyone remember that brochacho take that to the bank
You mean :hawkscreetch: by @Otis ?
i mean those were fun threads but that is not what im thinking of it was some guy that had worse grammar and english than me and would just make crazy calls on stuff something like beast or animal or something heck it was probably 20 years back but i just remember it made me laugh out loud reading them take that to the bank brohans

Shadyridr member since 2001

Got married, got laid off, had a son who is now 13 years old, had another daughter who passed away (team riley), got the best job I ever had, met a few fbgs irl including Otis' dancing wedding buddy, made some enemies in the covid thread, always was open and honest, got tons of great advice, gained a lot of weight, lost a lot of weight, gained a lot of weight, got my OP permanently banned (i miss it). Can't believe it's been over 20 years.

Been around since Cheatsheets.net as well. Daughter is 31 and about to get engaged. Wife of 33 years is retired, and I turn 61 in May, contemplating retirement myself next year.
Just getting older here. It's been a crazy ride
Best Packers fan I know.

The 911 thread caught me up when I woke at 3pm with no idea what had happened. I think that was here, could have been fft I guess. It was 2001, so what year did this place open. The old board?

Between this and Oddibemcd, been dabbling 25+ years, starting in the fall of 97 as a freshman on a T4 line, fresh off of a modem at home. Cheatsheets.net, MrFootball and thehuddle (Whitney something or other there?). Moved to FFToday and eschewed the PG-FBG boards. Then came on 9/11 when I was working at Kodak. Big shame that thread wasn't archived. Won a Fatballguys challenge, parlayed my new found good looks into a wife, got fat again. Currently weigh just about what I did when I started the challenge. Dabbled in WW, (15 years ago now, remember blowing off a contracts class during my 1L year at Cornell).

Found support here after a car accident knocked me out of law school. Found support here when I was flooded out during Sandy. Moved back Upstate NY. Three kids at 43 (6/5/3), the end is nowhere in sight. Some of the most riveting stories I ever found were right here.

ETA: I've played one game of Diplomacy in my life, right here where I scored a victory as Turkey with a major assist from Bostonfred's Russia.

Been around since the Old Yeller days. Had a few usernames over the years, a couple of which got banned for reasons easily identifiable by anyone with a cursory understanding of how a civilized society works, and a couple where I just kinda forgot the password.

The drafts of unquantifiable things were my favorite threads to track, even when I wasn’t participating in them. The hardest I ever laughed at content here was a drafter recapping his attempt to print out his research for the Russian Bride Draft on a printer at his workplace, which drew a little more attention than he’d hoped, but I’m glad he went for it because it made a great story.

For all the discussion we had here about a certain Lakers shooting guard who drew a lot of attention and opinions, I never would have guessed pretty much everyone here who participated in those discussions would outlive the player we spent so much time arguing about.
BTW - it’s probably safe to mention this now… there was one season of NBA Playoffs in the late 2000s when Bill Simmons was reading the FFA NBA threads daily. A colleague of BS reached out to me as it was happening, pointing to specific phrases and sentences used in Simmons’s columns that were also used in our discussions here as proof. There were several. One that comes to mind was Cavaliers fans organizing to sue Mike Brown for coaching malpractice, a turn of phrase only found in FFA before it showed up in a Simmons column about a week later. There were others. Can’t recall all of them, but one that also was clearly a lift was one about irrational praise of Trevor Ariza.

The collective knowledge hive mind of this place was a valuable resource before the rise of social media or widespread explainer content on the Web. There were many times when I would search this place for information about a purchase I was looking into or a place I was going to go, and then after remembering the search function’s usefulness I’d just start a thread asking about it. Thanks to all who shared their expertise.

Shout out to the entrepreneurs here. I’ve started a few successful businesses, eventually selling one that sped up my leisure life stage considerably. I remember one specific conversation about entrepreneurship here where I was skeptical about one guy saying you should be able to explain 50% of what your startup does in two words and 90% of what it does in five words. And when he successfully did both with Google as an example, I adopted the strategy. Helped a lot. In a few months I’ll start working for someone else, for the first time in years. More on that in a moment.

Many years ago, when my wife was told she had breast cancer, I started a thread here about it because I was scared and couldn’t figure out how to express it to others close to me. There was a really cool outpouring of support and information, both from people who had lived it from my spot or worked on the treatment side. My daughter was really young at the time, and one guy out of nowhere offered to send a bunch of children’s books so we’d have some extra ones to read. There were some really good ones in that package, too.
BTW, after a slow start, my wife beat it. She’s so far removed from it, she doesn’t identify closely with being a cancer survivor. It was something that happened a long time ago, doesn’t really shape who she is today. It’s not something we talk about much or recall often.

I don’t think I’ve knowingly met other FBGs in person, but I have talked to a few on the phone or otherwise communicated with away from the board. There was one where I saved the guy’s phone number in my phone but didn’t remember what his brick-and-mortar name when saving it, so I saved him in his Contacts as his FBG username. Which did not go over all a long time later, so amused by the handle I kept it in my phone that way… and my wife and I had a fight and she went through my phone and was livid, asking “who is [FBG username that without context looked like I was hiding the identity of a side piece]?!?” and trying to explain it was someone from FBG that I’d called about [work-related incident from a few years prior]. It’s funny now. It wasn’t at that moment.

Anyways, next life chapter is expatriation. After an extensive, disappointing, disheartening college search of upper tier USA colleges somewhat derailed by Covid, my daughter took a gap year and is now a student at London School of Economics. I doubt she will live in the United States again, I support her decision, and I think it’s so amazing that a person I helped create is off having such a big adventure right now. Looking forward to catching a match at Selhurst Park next time I visit.
And my wife and I are in the process of moving to Vancouver, where I’ll work for someone else for a while to justify our existence there and see if it’s a spot we think we could enjoy while we grow old together, and my wife will continue to be self-employed working remotely. We have some relatives we’re close to who have lived in Vancouver for decades, have been recruiting us to move there once the nest emptied. And we always enjoyed our visits there and other spots we’ve been to in British Columbia. Maybe it’s not the most cost-effective choice for a late-in-life move, but money is just a social construct.

As some of you knew or figured out, I’m neurodivergent two ways: I have ADHD and I’m on the autism spectrum. I’m thankful for formats like message boards and where people like me who fumble a lot when trying to talk can arrange the words in order on the screen and make edits onscreen when they aren’t, and for formats like social media where people like me who don’t naturally have empathy don’t stand out among other social media enthusiasts in moments of low sensitivity.

And on the Dog Or Stranger question? I voted dog. It’s about calculating the probability of which being contributes the greater good to society and saving that one. Since 99% of dogs are better than 99% of people, I’m saving the one with four legs. If you drown because of this decision, my condolences but the math is on my side.

Got married, got laid off, had a son who is now 13 years old, had another daughter who passed away (team riley), got the best job I ever had, met a few fbgs irl including Otis' dancing wedding buddy, made some enemies in the covid thread, always was open and honest, got tons of great advice, gained a lot of weight, lost a lot of weight, gained a lot of weight, got my OP permanently banned (i miss it). Can't believe it's been over 20 years.
I have thought about you a few times recently when old threads were linked/bumped and I saw your username, wondered if you had just moved on as many others have, and hoped that life was treating you well. Glad to see you are still around.
I had no clue you were one in the same either… notebook updated #teamriley

Dayum! I had no idea you were Shady. Glad to see you’re still around GB.

Big hugs to all FBGs - even if we’ve closed in the past.
there was some guy in the shark pool who would post really hilariuos but wierd takes something like beast or something like that and he made me laugh i thought he was the jumpy and quo originator but i might be wrong does anyone remember that brochacho take that to the bank
You mean :hawkscreetch: by @Otis ?
i mean those were fun threads but that is not what im thinking of it was some guy that had worse grammar and english than me and would just make crazy calls on stuff something like beast or animal or something heck it was probably 20 years back but i just remember it made me laugh out loud reading them take that to the bank brohans
Studs and duds or something?

Between this and Oddibemcd, been dabbling 25+ years, starting in the fall of 97 as a freshman on a T4 line, fresh off of a modem at home. Cheatsheets.net, MrFootball and thehuddle (Whitney something or other there?). Moved to FFToday and eschewed the PG-FBG boards. Then came on 9/11 when I was working at Kodak. Big shame that thread wasn't archived. Won a Fatballguys challenge, parlayed my new found good looks into a wife, got fat again. Currently weigh just about what I did when I started the challenge. Dabbled in WW, (15 years ago now, remember blowing off a contracts class during my 1L year at Cornell).

Found support here after a car accident knocked me out of law school. Found support here when I was flooded out during Sandy. Moved back Upstate NY. Three kids at 43 (6/5/3), the end is nowhere in sight. Some of the most riveting stories I ever found were right here.

ETA: I've played one game of Diplomacy in my life, right here where I scored a victory as Turkey with a major assist from Bostonfred's Russia.
How far upstate? Like Syracuse or like Buffalo/Oswego?

How far upstate? Like Syracuse or like Buffalo/Oswego?
Split the difference. I live outside of Rochester and work in the great hinterlands of Wayne County.

Reactions: JAA
One thing I'm realizing reading this thread: seemingly out of nowhere, we're mostly on the back nine here. And that's OK, because it's been one helluva day so far.

With you there, GB.

Most of us don't know exactly where we are on the course but for folks like me at 59 years old, I've certainly got more days behind me than ahead. But I'm thankful to be on the course.

man this thread is another otis masterpiece it has been great hearing you guys all check in and it has made me go back as far as i can on the system and read some old stuff and some of it is pure gold i remember nicknaming old bert favre brett the bratwurst bandito after he was sending pics of his junk around and i remember writing it and just laughing out loud while being an idiot on the internet and that was a happier simpler time take that to the bank brohans

Been around since the Old Yeller days. Had a few usernames over the years, a couple of which got banned for reasons easily identifiable by anyone with a cursory understanding of how a civilized society works, and a couple where I just kinda forgot the password.

The drafts of unquantifiable things were my favorite threads to track, even when I wasn’t participating in them. The hardest I ever laughed at content here was a drafter recapping his attempt to print out his research for the Russian Bride Draft on a printer at his workplace, which drew a little more attention than he’d hoped, but I’m glad he went for it because it made a great story.

For all the discussion we had here about a certain Lakers shooting guard who drew a lot of attention and opinions, I never would have guessed pretty much everyone here who participated in those discussions would outlive the player we spent so much time arguing about.
BTW - it’s probably safe to mention this now… there was one season of NBA Playoffs in the late 2000s when Bill Simmons was reading the FFA NBA threads daily. A colleague of BS reached out to me as it was happening, pointing to specific phrases and sentences used in Simmons’s columns that were also used in our discussions here as proof. There were several. One that comes to mind was Cavaliers fans organizing to sue Mike Brown for coaching malpractice, a turn of phrase only found in FFA before it showed up in a Simmons column about a week later. There were others. Can’t recall all of them, but one that also was clearly a lift was one about irrational praise of Trevor Ariza.

The collective knowledge hive mind of this place was a valuable resource before the rise of social media or widespread explainer content on the Web. There were many times when I would search this place for information about a purchase I was looking into or a place I was going to go, and then after remembering the search function’s usefulness I’d just start a thread asking about it. Thanks to all who shared their expertise.

Shout out to the entrepreneurs here. I’ve started a few successful businesses, eventually selling one that sped up my leisure life stage considerably. I remember one specific conversation about entrepreneurship here where I was skeptical about one guy saying you should be able to explain 50% of what your startup does in two words and 90% of what it does in five words. And when he successfully did both with Google as an example, I adopted the strategy. Helped a lot. In a few months I’ll start working for someone else, for the first time in years. More on that in a moment.

Many years ago, when my wife was told she had breast cancer, I started a thread here about it because I was scared and couldn’t figure out how to express it to others close to me. There was a really cool outpouring of support and information, both from people who had lived it from my spot or worked on the treatment side. My daughter was really young at the time, and one guy out of nowhere offered to send a bunch of children’s books so we’d have some extra ones to read. There were some really good ones in that package, too.
BTW, after a slow start, my wife beat it. She’s so far removed from it, she doesn’t identify closely with being a cancer survivor. It was something that happened a long time ago, doesn’t really shape who she is today. It’s not something we talk about much or recall often.

I don’t think I’ve knowingly met other FBGs in person, but I have talked to a few on the phone or otherwise communicated with away from the board. There was one where I saved the guy’s phone number in my phone but didn’t remember what his brick-and-mortar name when saving it, so I saved him in his Contacts as his FBG username. Which did not go over all a long time later, so amused by the handle I kept it in my phone that way… and my wife and I had a fight and she went through my phone and was livid, asking “who is [FBG username that without context looked like I was hiding the identity of a side piece]?!?” and trying to explain it was someone from FBG that I’d called about [work-related incident from a few years prior]. It’s funny now. It wasn’t at that moment.

Anyways, next life chapter is expatriation. After an extensive, disappointing, disheartening college search of upper tier USA colleges somewhat derailed by Covid, my daughter took a gap year and is now a student at London School of Economics. I doubt she will live in the United States again, I support her decision, and I think it’s so amazing that a person I helped create is off having such a big adventure right now. Looking forward to catching a match at Selhurst Park next time I visit.
And my wife and I are in the process of moving to Vancouver, where I’ll work for someone else for a while to justify our existence there and see if it’s a spot we think we could enjoy while we grow old together, and my wife will continue to be self-employed working remotely. We have some relatives we’re close to who have lived in Vancouver for decades, have been recruiting us to move there once the nest emptied. And we always enjoyed our visits there and other spots we’ve been to in British Columbia. Maybe it’s not the most cost-effective choice for a late-in-life move, but money is just a social construct.

As some of you knew or figured out, I’m neurodivergent two ways: I have ADHD and I’m on the autism spectrum. I’m thankful for formats like message boards and where people like me who fumble a lot when trying to talk can arrange the words in order on the screen and make edits onscreen when they aren’t, and for formats like social media where people like me who don’t naturally have empathy don’t stand out among other social media enthusiasts in moments of low sensitivity.

And on the Dog Or Stranger question? I voted dog. It’s about calculating the probability of which being contributes the greater good to society and saving that one. Since 99% of dogs are better than 99% of people, I’m saving the one with four legs. If you drown because of this decision, my condolences but the math is on my side.

Hey Coach. Good to see you around. I'm back (sort of) after a long absence as well. And I'm not afraid to open the NBA thread for the first time in years.

PS: Lebron > Kobe still. But now that he wears yellow, it's hard to like him.

One thing I'm realizing reading this thread: seemingly out of nowhere, we're mostly on the back nine here. And that's OK, because it's been one helluva day so far.
You know when I was in my young 20's I looked at people in their late 40's and thought damn they are old and life must not be fun anymore. I'm now that age and you know what? Other than my knees popping everytime I stand up I realize how wrong I was, **** is just getting started IMO

Hey Coach. Good to see you around. I'm back (sort of) after a long absence as well. And I'm not afraid to open the NBA thread for the first time in years.

Never liked him. :lakerfan:

Team Kobe

Like Jerry Seinfeld says, we’re all just rooting for laundry. Or against laundry.

Like Jerry Seinfeld says, we’re all just rooting for laundry. Or against laundry.

It's incredibly easy to rout against laundry that looks like it belongs to a bunch of Big Bird groupies at Comic-Con

You know when I was in my young 20's I looked at people in their late 40's and thought damn they are old and life must not be fun anymore. I'm now that age and you know what? Other than my knees popping everytime I stand up I realize how wrong I was, **** is just getting started IMO
This. :hifive: :banned:

OGs who still have their original avatar (from what I remember)... and I love them for it. If you showed me their avatar, I'd instantly know who it belonged to...

@bigbottom
@mr. furley
@shuke
@General Malaise
@top dog
@Courtjester
@kevzilla
@Leroy Hoard
@Wrigley
@Yankee23Fan
@Binky The Doormat
@heckmanm
@Osaurus
@playin4beer
@scorchy
@Chemical X
@Fat Nick
@Bob Sacamano
@AhrnCityPahnder
@Drifter
@BobbyLayne
@Chadstroma
@flapgreen

I think these are the same... maybe a different take on the original

@Judge Smails
@Capella (maybe a mini version?)
@The Z Machine
@Mr.Pack
@Foosball God

LABS did a random draw to select the avatars of other members. Happy Schnaps drew my name and gave me the avatar you see now, minus the tribute paid to Shining Path, RIP little purple teletubby. When Happy Schnaps told me this was my new avatar he said

"Congrats GM, I just made you a star".

Good times.

I once wrote a script to increase my profile views here, circa 2006. It worked, but it wasn't working fast enough for me. Once I unthrottled it I believe the FBG IDS spot banned my IP. For quite a while I was banned.
Wait... why do you care how many profile views you have?
What I remember was some schtick about who had the most profile views. I was going to win and was going to cheat the system doing it.

Was it Zippy? I do remember he was a post count snob

zippy would stick his neck out for anyone. if you know zippy, that is really no small feat.

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
It's interesting to see the Bill Simmons confirmation. Back in those days, this and the big poker forum were pretty much the only two forums I regularly visited, and they were saying the same things over there in the NBA thread (in that Simmons was swiping posts for his content). And I know there was at least some crossover (Assani probably being the most notable historically, but there were certainly others) between these boards.

LABS did a random draw to select the avatars of other members. Happy Schnaps drew my name and gave me the avatar you see now, minus the tribute paid to Shining Path, RIP little purple teletubby. When Happy Schnaps told me this was my new avatar he said

"Congrats GM, I just made you a star".

Good times.

I came when the badminton club expanded in '04, but Shiny gave me mine then. I was proud to wear it.

Someone added the ears for me a few years later. :crying:

40s by far my favorite age

40s by far my favorite age
I hope you're right. :lmao:

It's interesting to see the Bill Simmons confirmation. Back in those days, this and the big poker forum were pretty much the only two forums I regularly visited, and they were saying the same things over there in the NBA thread (in that Simmons was swiping posts for his content). And I know there was at least some crossover (Assani probably being the most notable historically, but there were certainly others) between these boards.

Former 2p2 reg and longtime Simmons hater here... what's this about stolen content?

Users who are viewing this thread