What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** Washington Redskins 2007 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

DCThunder

Footballguy
So since the off-season thread should be dead, here's the in-season one to gloat, complain, bash, predict and be shamelessly homerific. All the Redskin FBGs are invited to make this their home for the potentially glorious 2007 season and if it isn't glorious, this is the place to call for the head of Coach Joe or Al or Greggggggg or Buges or whover.

Last edited by a moderator:
In.

I think the Redskins are one of the surprise teams of the year and battle Philly for the NFC East title.

I'm pumped up about this season. Assuming overall team health, continued growth from Campbell and a rebound year from Portis, I think this team can surprise a lot of people.

7-9 or 8-8. Too little depth, a few injuries will stymie the team offensively and defensively. Again.

Man I hope I'm wrong.

I usually convince myself that we're in for double digit wins. I can't bring myself to that conclusion right now. I'll be happy if we go 8-8.

Easily a top 10 draft pick in 2008. They really are not any good.
That's what they said about the Saints in 2006, Tampa Bay in 2005, the Chargers in 2004, . . .Every year at least one teams comes from nowhere and makes the playoffs. That seems IMHO to have more to do with overall roster health and coaching than it does with talent level. Funny thing is, the Redskins have as much raw talent in their starting lineup as just about any team out there, it's just concentrated in certain areas and they lack depth behind it. If they stay healthy, there's no reason why they can't win, particularly in the weaker NFC.

That's what they said about the Saints in 2006, Tampa Bay in 2005, the Chargers in 2004, . . .Every year at least one teams comes from nowhere and makes the playoffs. That seems IMHO to have more to do with overall roster health and coaching than it does with talent level. Funny thing is, the Redskins have as much raw talent in their starting lineup as just about any team out there, it's just concentrated in certain areas and they lack depth behind it. If they stay healthy, there's no reason why they can't win, particularly in the weaker NFC.
Ditto! Nicely put and said...

Ditto! Nicely put and said...
16-0!!!!!!!!

They have some good players and have made some nice additions. Their DEF looked pretty good in the preseason with Campbell looking sharp on his final drive before the season. I think Portis is fine and was just sitting out the preseason to avoid what happened to him last year. Does anyone else remember his comments about the preseason being pointless and too long after his injury? I remember saying to myself that there was no way he would play before the season began after hearing him. Their O/U for wins is 7 and I can see them winning as many as 9.

Did anyone notice that the team web site has Anthony Montgomery listed as the 1st string RDT instead of Golston?

I figure there will be a pretty decent rotation between the two, but up until a day or two ago, Golston had been listed as 1st string.

I noticed that as well. Not sure whether to be happy Montgomery has come along or disappointed that Golston has dropped.

Did anyone notice that the team web site has Anthony Montgomery listed as the 1st string RDT instead of Golston?

I figure there will be a pretty decent rotation between the two, but up until a day or two ago, Golston had been listed as 1st string.
Golston is a better 3-technique pass rusher than he is a strong guy at the point of attack. He's going to be in in the nickel a lot IMHO. Montgomery is a sleeper at DT. I think he could be a monster. Most draft watchers thought last year that he had a 1st rounder's body but thought he might not have the drive. He spent all offseason at Redskins Park, dropped like 15 lbs., and impressed the hell out of everyone there. I actually picked him up in one of my IDP leagues, albeit as a backup DT on a team where that position is a weakness.

From what I've seen of Jason Campbell in the preseason, I am expecting the Skins to be much better on offense. He shows poise and toughness in the pocket (as he did last year), but now he looks very comfortable within the system. If they can keep him upright, I expect a breakout type year for Campbell. They key will be the defense showing last year was an anomaly, not the norm. The D looked much faster during preseason, but let's see how it translates to the regular season.

The Skins lack depth in key areas, but if they can stay healthy, there's no reason they can't compete for the nfc east, and potentially go deep in the playoffs as they're in the nfc.

I expect the giants to be a borderline disaster this year. The crackwagon is already falling apart at the seams, and they did nothing to adquately upgrade their biggest weakness (pass coverage in the secondary), and now have one of the worst hc's in the nfl to boot. Philly should be Washington's main competition in the east, and they've got durability issues at key positions.

I thought Campbell looked sharp during the preseason, especially considering what he was working with on the left side of the oline. Kendall was a huge pickup, imo, as that was the biggest weak spot on the team.

I'll be very surprised if our defense isn't in the top 10, and they have top 5 upside. Rocky has looked like an absolute beast. Landry has picked things up much faster than Taylor did his rookie season, and he looks very impressive as well. And they actually have 3 nfl caliber cb's this year, instead of just 2! It also appears Williams has simplified the defense which should produce better results.

The Skins have a great opening day matchup against the dirty Fish at home. This is a must win, and I have Washington defeating Miami by a td or more.

If everyone stays healthy they could get to 10 wins. I like having Kendall on the line this year. I think the running game can work which will take lots of pressure off Campbell. Every good Gibbs team had a good passing game that was set up by a good running game. A little worried about the D. The corners are ok, not great, and the safeties will both drill an opponent with the ball but I don't think either are good in coverage. I didn't like Archuleta because he seemed to be the same player as Taylor then they draft Landry. The pass rush was terrible last year and I don't know that it will improve. I hope Williams doesn't leave the CBs alone this year like he did last year.

Moved from northern VA to Norfolk to Utah so I have no local coverge any more. Like to see everyone in here so I can keep up with news/opinions.

the defense is going to hurt people.

the offense just might hurt fans to witness.

10-6 and a wild card.

enough to bring Gibbs back for his 'ride off into the sunset' year 5 Super Bowl championship.

the defense is going to hurt people. the offense just might hurt fans to witness. 10-6 and a wild card. enough to bring Gibbs back for his 'ride off into the sunset' year 5 Super Bowl championship.
My thoughts exactly.HTTR!

The Skins have been a disappointment for the last several years. I'll go the optimist's route and predict a surprising campaign: 10-6 and playoffs

Golston is a better 3-technique pass rusher than he is a strong guy at the point of attack. He's going to be in in the nickel a lot IMHO. Montgomery is a sleeper at DT. I think he could be a monster. Most draft watchers thought last year that he had a 1st rounder's body but thought he might not have the drive. He spent all offseason at Redskins Park, dropped like 15 lbs., and impressed the hell out of everyone there. I actually picked him up in one of my IDP leagues, albeit as a backup DT on a team where that position is a weakness.
:D Thanks, redman.I knew there was some buzz around the Park regarding Montgomery, just didn't realize he had already progressed so far. I'm excited to see what he and Griffin can do there in the middle now.

More about Montgomery from the Washington Times.

Montgomery might start

By David Elfin

September 8, 2007

Defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery might join London Fletcher, LaRon Landry and Rocky McIntosh as new starters when the Redskins' defense takes the field in tomorrow's season opener against Miami.

Montgomery has made so much progress since playing sparingly in 2006 that he might start ahead of fellow second-year man Kedric Golston. Assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams termed the change in Montgomery as "light years" removed from the overweight rookie of 2006.

"I can't wait to see Anthony play," Williams said. "It's been a long, hard, tough year on the young man in a lot of ways. To his credit, he's decided to change. I want to see the smile on his face if [his newfound dedication] turns into production because he'll see that the hard work, hard coaching, hard criticisms are going to pay off."

The Redskins need to run the ball 35-40 times, protect Jason Campbell, minimize turnovers, and get to Trent Green to win this game. If they do those things, they will.

Gossip from Luke Pettigout's mom to my son to me: The Redskins wanted to sign Pettigout in the offseason, flew him in to visit Snyder, asked him to move from tackle to guard, offered more money than he eventually got, but he considered moving to guard a demotion and didn't take it. FWIW

Anyway, Pettigout or his mom has season tickets to Redskin games, and my son just got 4 of them for the Skins/Giants game. 21st row, below Sonny and Sam in the press box, right near the 50 yard line. Same seats we had last year (which was the first Skins game I ever attended).

This rocks. :rant:

My predictions for this year:

Redskins go 10-6 and win the division or get a wild card. Jason Campbell will be fine. The big questions for the Redskins are will a 2nd wr step up and will the OL provide decent pass protection. The fact is, despite having lots of high price players on the OL who have played together for a number of years, they really are not a great Ol.

Also, Dallas and the Giants will both be terrible. Both are looking at 5-6 win seasons.

My predictions for this year:Redskins go 10-6 and win the division or get a wild card. Jason Campbell will be fine. The big questions for the Redskins are will a 2nd wr step up and will the OL provide decent pass protection. The fact is, despite having lots of high price players on the OL who have played together for a number of years, they really are not a great Ol.Also, Dallas and the Giants will both be terrible. Both are looking at 5-6 win seasons.
Bold prediction on Dallas, my friend. I happen to think that their defense will be good enough to avoid a mere 5 or 6 win season, but I'd love to see it. I too am down on the Giants however. I think the 'Skins o-line is fine as long as it's healthy. They need to stay healthy across the board, and I really want to see the d-line generate pass rush and Suisham to be a good PK. I too am not worried about Campbell, or Portis for that matter. I'm hoping this is a team like the 1987 'Skins that surprises a lot of people because it's a good, cohesive and well-coached unit, but that's awful hard to predict.

If this doesn't pump you up about Campbell and the team, nothing will:

A Redskins Great Stages Revival Meeting With CampbellBy Mike WiseSunday, September 9, 2007; D01Of all the impressions made on a young NFL quarterback, none was stronger than the day a bull-rushing lineman from the past came up to Jason Campbell and his parents after services.Charles Mann, now the head usher at Grace Covenant Church in Chantilly, spoke to the Campbells for about an hour a few months ago "about what Redskin football meant to the old guys and how bad they want to see us winning again," Campbell said."He said when they used to play they had an attitude about themselves," he said. "They didn't want to be embarrassed, first of all. And second of all, they didn't want to accept defeat."Then he showed us his broken fingers."Some messages about sacrifice only come through a disturbing visual.The ring finger on Mann's left hand, a crushed knuckle suffered in 1983, is bent completely sideways. The pinkie, ring and middle fingers on both hands are distorted, mangled and painful reminders -- along with his 15 knee operations -- of a playing career that featured four Super Bowls and five NFC championship games."He had fingers turning east, west and all kind of ways," Campbell said. "My mom looked at his hand and said, 'I hope you're not like that when you're finished playing football.' ""I asked him, 'God, how did you get that?' " said Larry Campbell, Jason's father. "Charles Mann just looked at me and said, 'Driving the quarterback to the ground.' "If there is a revival, let it be known that it began at a house of worship. On Easter Sunday.Jason Campbell represented hope. Charles Mann represented history. And somewhere between the floundering organization the Redskins have become and the glorious franchise they were, a link was found."I told Jason what I tell a lot of the players, that there was a certain level of prestige, a certain level of mystique, that came with being a Redskin player," Mann said. "It meant a lot. And over the years, that mystique has simmered down because of the way things have gone the past eight or nine years."It has to change back. You don't need to win a Super Bowl today, but teams need to know this is our house. You can't come in, walk all over us and keep going. That's not what it is to play for this franchise.' "Gone, this afternoon, is the stench of 5-11. Today, Joe Gibbs has another blank slate -- 0-0.And for all the concern about a revamped offensive line finding cohesion early, whether Clinton Portis still has magic in his legs, whether last year's defensive meltdown was an aberration or an awful sign of the times, the future really comes down to how a 25-year-old, third-year player from the hamlet of Taylorsville, Miss., adjusts to prime time on a full-time basis.When Campbell takes his first snap under center against the Miami Dolphins sometime after 1 p.m. today, the Redskins' 10th quarterback change in eight years hopes to accomplish at least one huge feat: becoming the first quarterback to begin and finish as the starter since Brad Johnson in 1999.The season doesn't completely rise and fall on Campbell. Indeed, the pressure to put up big numbers won't be as crucial as Campbell learning to manage a game and being functional enough to simply win. Yet no single player will have more to do with whether Gibbs returns to coach the last season of his contract next year. After Gibbs, no one will be more responsible for a playoff revival.In six months or less, the reverberations of Campbell's progress and development will be felt all over the organization.Which is only fitting.Because when it came to plucking the kid the Redskins hoped would be their long-term solution at quarterback in 2005, they were all in it to begin with.Vinny Cerrato inadvertently began his homework on Campbell before he had any idea the team wanted him. Campbell's agent, Joel Segal, asked the Redskins' vice president of football operations to ride with him and Campbell's parents to Senior Bowl practices. Every day in that car, Cerrato learned what a formidable family the Campbells were."I didn't know that until after they drafted me, but he had already figured out my background, everything," Campbell said. "He was basically doing a dissection of the whole family."The next key moment came in the film room at Redskins Park, where the scouts and the offensive coaches viewed footage of all quarterbacks in the 2005 draft, including Alex Smith, who was taken No. 1 by San Francisco, and Aaron Rodgers, who went 24th to Green Bay, one spot ahead of Campbell."He looked so good we finally had the video guy put all his passes on one tape," Cerrato recalled. "Everybody couldn't believe it. We finally said, 'Let's watch the USC-Auburn game in Auburn, where they got beat.'"He threw a pick down by the goal line, but it wasn't his fault. He actually played good in that game. We ended up watching about six, seven hours of tape and realized he just didn't throw many bad balls. He was just accurate. All the time."Segal was telephoned that evening, and Gibbs, Cerrato, offensive coordinator Don Breaux and offensive assistant Jack Burns arranged an 8 a.m. interview the next day at Auburn. Campbell already had been there since 7:15 a.m., preparing for his chalk talk.For two hours, his faculties were put to the task on that board, from the intricacies of pass protection to the most basic question of all from a drawn-up play: "What would you do here?"Campbell fairly aced Gibbs's own football IQ exam."On the way back, we called Denver and completed the trade so we could move up and get him," Cerrato said. "We were holding our breath because it got out that we went down there and everybody knew if you wanted him you had to get him before number 25."The rest was gravy. Just like his neighbor Brett Favre, another small-town Mississippi quarterback with a twang, Campbell would be playing in a signature NFL city. Campbell's father, who had put 197,000 miles on his '96 Toyota Avalon during his son's standout career at Auburn, actually hopped aboard the first airplane in his life to watch his son sign his contract."Tennessee and Florida were the furthest trips I took with the car before Mr. Snyder sent that plane," Larry Campbell said by telephone from Mississippi on Thursday night.As Gibbs vacillated between Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey, patience became Jason's first virtue in the NFL. But after holding the clipboard for most of two seasons, he finally got his shot midway through last season.By season's end, Campbell became entrusted with the job of resuscitating the franchise for which Charles Mann and others once sacrificed cartilage and bone."Yeah, I showed them my jacked-up fingers," Mann said by telephone when asked about his after-church conversation with the Campbells back in April. "The only ones not distorted are the thumb and the index fingers."Would I do it all over again if I knew this was the result? Yes."Said Campbell: "At first, they looked so bad I didn't want to see. But it shows you what guys like that went through to win, how much they wanted it, how together they were."When they played in a game, it was like, 'I'm your brother's keeper.' When he was done talking to my parents, I thought to myself, 'That's got to be us.' "

I look down the schedule and see 9-10 possible wins so I'll go with 9-7. I think S Moss & Cooley are going to have pretty good years as Campbell continues to progress.

Portis looks just fine.

ARE just may be a solid WR2.

I actually liked what I saw from Campbell despite the two INTs.

Moss had a case of the drops and they were pretty important plays.

Rocky's a stud.

Trent Green can still play.

McIntosh looked very good.

Both lines did a decent job, with the O-line beginning to wear down the defense later in the game even without Jansen. Jansen was getting pushed around in preseason anyway, so it's not like he's the force he used to be. But still I'd rather have him healthy. Anyone know why Todd Wade was not on the active roster today?

Oh. Yeah. Redskins are 1-0 and leading the NFC East. :censored:

Portis looks just fine.ARE just may be a solid WR2.I actually liked what I saw from Campbell despite the two INTs.Moss had a case of the drops and they were pretty important plays.Rocky's a stud.Trent Green can still play.
:mellow: Portis is back. That much is clear. Gibbs will only lean on him more as he rounds into shape. Campbell is the real deal, he only needs more experience. It's clear he has the coaching staff's confidence just by the number of deep passes they called for him. That was the difference IMHO between the ineffective running game in the preseason and the effective running game they put together today against a good defense. He throws as pretty of a deep ball as anyone in the NFL. The only boneheaded throw I remember was the second INT which he threw up for grabs in the end zone. Randle El is a good WR, and I think Saunders and Co. are figuring out what routes work for him. At times I wondered whether he and Moss had switched jerseys today given all of those crazy drops Moss had. The pass rush is going to be a problem. Green is as immobile as it gets and is clearly a QB you want to knock on his ###, and that's a far from impressive Dolphins o-line, and yet there were few times when I felt they got pressure on Green.

The pass rush is going to be a problem. Green is as immobile as it gets and is clearly a QB you want to knock on his ###, and that's a far from impressive Dolphins o-line, and yet there were few times when I felt they got pressure on Green.
And they rarely blitzed, which I found odd.

I honestly believe that was by design, not to show too much as they are preparing for a much more important divisional game next week. Gibbs always talked about how important those divisional games are.

GB Pigskin Addiction...

Did anyone actually watch this game? Anyone? I'd rather go mow the lawn than watch these two crapass teams. The Redskins won this game by being crappy for less time than the Dolphins were crappy. Ronnie Brown is done, stick a fork in him. If you own him you better try to unload him while you can still get a solid kicker for him. Their O-line is horrid and he just can't get it done on his own. On the other side of the field we have a full-fledged RBBC. Portis and Betts each got 17 carries. Portis turned his into 98 yards and a score while Betts only managed 59 yards rushing. The only other statistical performance worthy of noting is Antwaan Randle-El's 5 catches for 162 yards. You'll never see that again. He might match that over the next 8 games combined. Of course you'll have some dimwit window-licker in your league dying to scoop him off the waiver wire Monday.

I honestly believe that was by design, not to show too much as they are preparing for a much more important divisional game next week. Gibbs always talked about how important those divisional games are.
I agree it was by design, but Green just stood in the same spot all game. We'll see about next week. Traditionally, they haven't blitzed McNabb too much because he tends to make you pay with his mobility. But, how mobile is he now? Can he still escape a blitz and burn you deep? Can he still take off and run for a first down?

GB Pigskin Addiction...Did anyone actually watch this game? Anyone? I'd rather go mow the lawn than watch these two crapass teams. The Redskins won this game by being crappy for less time than the Dolphins were crappy. Ronnie Brown is done, stick a fork in him. If you own him you better try to unload him while you can still get a solid kicker for him. Their O-line is horrid and he just can't get it done on his own. On the other side of the field we have a full-fledged RBBC. Portis and Betts each got 17 carries. Portis turned his into 98 yards and a score while Betts only managed 59 yards rushing. The only other statistical performance worthy of noting is Antwaan Randle-El's 5 catches for 162 yards. You'll never see that again. He might match that over the next 8 games combined. Of course you'll have some dimwit window-licker in your league dying to scoop him off the waiver wire Monday.
If it's meant to be funny, it's not, and if it's meant to accurately reflect what happened during that game, it didn't. Sounds like Pigskin Addiction needs an intervention.

I agree it was by design, but Green just stood in the same spot all game. We'll see about next week. Traditionally, they haven't blitzed McNabb too much because he tends to make you pay with his mobility. But, how mobile is he now? Can he still escape a blitz and burn you deep? Can he still take off and run for a first down?
Whether by design or not, the fact is that an immobile QB behind a mediocre o-line rarely got pressured by the front four. Not good.

Has it officially been announced that Jon Jansen is out for the year, and I'll wager his Redskins days are over too. He's got a pretty high cap number, I'm thinking, and this is his 9th season.

Whether by design or not, the fact is that an immobile QB behind a mediocre o-line rarely got pressured by the front four. Not good.
Hey now, Andre Carter did get ONE sack!!!!!I'm more worried about Smoot and Rogers and their lack of coverage of Chris Chambers.

From JLC's blog:

Jansen Speaks .. So Does Wade

Jon just did a conference call with us. It was pretty gruesome. He will have surgery this week, either Wed. or Thursday and will be out probably 4 months. Said he is unsure if he will be placed on IR right away, ending his season, but seemed to expect the move at some point.

Todd Wade says he is operating on the assumption he is starting indefinitely. Wade says that Coach Joe Gibbs and associate head coach Al Saunders both gave him "The Nod" - you know, that universal look and tilt of the head that means, get ready to strap it on and step up, son. We need 'ya.

Have to wait until Coach Joe talks around 5 pm to find out if Wade's reading of body language was correct, but he was fairly adamant about being the guy.

As for Jansen, until they perform the surgery the doctors will not know how extensive the ligament damage is, but there will be some. Jon said they reset the fracture on the field - holy schnikes I almost puked just hearing him describe it - and said "I could feel things popping, I could feel things breaking" at the time his leg got rolled.

Jon said he'll spend 6 weeks in a cast and on crutches and then will be able to put some weight on the fractured and dislocated right ankle in a walking boot. Ten to 12 weeks after surgery he should be running and "by end of three-to-four months there I should be able to resume any normal training."

The Redskins still have three healthy tackles so there is no rush per say to put Jansen on IR, and who knows, perhaps after surgery they see a reason to keep him active for a post-season. But Jansen was focusing on being back for next year, and was talking about this injury in the same terms as the 2004 ruptured left Achilles that kept him out of that entire season.

Since then Jansen has broken both thumbs and was finally forced out of the lineup once last season with a calf injury as well. He plans to be around the team more than he was while rehabbing in 2004.

Jon said they reset the fracture on the field - holy schnikes I almost puked just hearing him describe it - and said "I could feel things popping, I could feel things breaking" at the time his leg got rolled.
:thumbup: He really looked to be in A LOT of pain on the field. I thought when that one dude was holding him down that they must have been trying to pop something back into place.

Users who are viewing this thread