What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official USFL Thread - gearing up for year 2 (1 Viewer)

I’m not and likely wouldn’t join one off the bat but I’ll be watching and was looking forward to a USFL thread so we can identify NFL-worthy talent during the USFL a season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not and likely wouldn’t join one off the bat but I’ll be watching and was looking forward to a USFL thread so we can identify NFL-worthy talent during the USFL a season. 

Went ahead and changed the title, no reason this can't be the official thread!

Also, if anyone is running a USFL fantasy league, post here!

Crap. Now I’ve gotta look up the USFL team names. 

In the North, the USFL will have the Michigan Panthers, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars and Pittsburgh Maulers.

The Birmingham Stallions, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers and Tampa Bay Bandits will make up the South Division.

In the North, the USFL will have the Michigan Panthers, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars and Pittsburgh Maulers.

The Birmingham Stallions, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers and Tampa Bay Bandits will make up the South Division.
I have no horse in this race for sure. I’ll likely root for whichever team has cool uniforms and/or a couple of players I recognize. 

I have no horse in this race for sure. I’ll likely root for whichever team has cool uniforms and/or a couple of players I recognize. 
I think back in the day Herschel Walker played for the Generals and Jim Kelly played for the Gamblers.

I'm actually kind of bummed all the games are being played in Alabama. When I found out there was a Michigan team I was really hoping it would be somewhere in the Central or Western part of the state. I absolutely would have taken my kids to the games, as they are starting to get old enough for this sort of thing.
Yeah, that kind of stinks.  But then the playoff games will be played in Canton?

'83-Week 1 

Chicago Blitz at the 25:40 run what i can only describe as the bubble screen. Jim Lampley and Lee Corso, yes that guy, are in the booth. Corso describes the previous play as imaginative, this game is almost 40 years old and I think I am witnessing the birth of the bubble screen. I'm sure they got it from someone else but when you think about one of the most popular play calls in the NFL and even college football these days where they just flip it out to a playmaker and watch them do the rest, Tom Brady has made a living on it the last 5-10 years. 

I’ve said it before I’m other threads but..

if one of the USFL or XFL can figure out how to survive a couple of seasons, build a strong relationship with the NFL in a "spring/minor league" kind of capacity,that’s the best chance at survival and even thriving.
Rostering college football talent that didn’t get drafted, or failed to make the final cut, or NFL players who made it for only a season or two, or just made the practice squad… and giving these kinds of players a chance to develop and play in "real" game situations…I think there's a model there that could make it successful. 
as someone who doesn’t care about baseball at all, but loves the NHL playoffs, I’d LOVE to have a real spring football league to be a viable option for my football-addicted needs. 🤞

'83-Week 1 

Chicago Blitz at the 25:40 run what i can only describe as the bubble screen. Jim Lampley and Lee Corso, yes that guy, are in the booth. Corso describes the previous play as imaginative, this game is almost 40 years old and I think I am witnessing the birth of the bubble screen. I'm sure they got it from someone else but when you think about one of the most popular play calls in the NFL and even college football these days where they just flip it out to a playmaker and watch them do the rest, Tom Brady has made a living on it the last 5-10 years. 
Oh yeah, the Blitz!  As I was looking at the teams list I was trying to remember what "iconic" teams might be missing.

Philadelphia Stars had LB Sam Mills on defense. Others were QB Chuck Fusina, RB Kelvin Bryant and WR Scott Fitzkee on offense. Jim Mora was Head Coach. Mills followed Mora to the Saints as did FB Jeff Rodenberger. 

The Stars were also the only USFL team to have played in each of the three title games, losing in '83 and winning in '84 and '85. They were the dominant team during the leagues existence back then.

I'm really happy they're part of the new USFL and I'll be paying attention once again.

I’ve said it before I’m other threads but..

if one of the USFL or XFL can figure out how to survive a couple of seasons, build a strong relationship with the NFL in a "spring/minor league" kind of capacity,that’s the best chance at survival and even thriving.
Rostering college football talent that didn’t get drafted, or failed to make the final cut, or NFL players who made it for only a season or two, or just made the practice squad… and giving these kinds of players a chance to develop and play in "real" game situations…I think there's a model there that could make it successful. 
as someone who doesn’t care about baseball at all, but loves the NHL playoffs, I’d LOVE to have a real spring football league to be a viable option for my football-addicted needs. 🤞
Agree that they need a minor league for the NFL, a development league like the "G" League in NBA, maybe it's called something else. I think a lot of guys never get the chance and when you see the attrition rate in the NFL by the end of the season, they need quality/better replacements. 

Agree that they need a minor league for the NFL, a development league like the "G" League in NBA, maybe it's called something else. I think a lot of guys never get the chance and when you see the attrition rate in the NFL by the end of the season, they need quality/better replacements. 
A million percent.

I thought the AAF (or was it the XFL?) was working out some kind of player development/loaner deal with the  NFL that was very promising but then Covid wiped them out. The QBs were generally recognizable names and the coaches were too, gave them some (c level) star appeal. A couple of them got NFL chances if I recall. 
Honestly, with the popularity of the NFL, and the greediness and money grabbing, I don’t understand why the NFL wouldn’t embrace the best partner of the 2 XFL or USFL and make them their spring/dev league.  Literally football 12 months a year from regular season to post season to super bowl to Combine to NFL Draft and spring league kick off to NFL preseason and then start all over again. I’d be all in for that. 

No way a Fantasy league could run in the first (again) season.  Folding the league after 1/2 the games played would leave everyone hanging and netting nothing on time invested. 

i didn’t realize until now that this is entirely an eastern thing. 

I'm actually kind of bummed all the games are being played in Alabama. When I found out there was a Michigan team I was really hoping it would be somewhere in the Central or Western part of the state. I absolutely would have taken my kids to the games, as they are starting to get old enough for this sort of thing.
interesting, what’s the point of the geographic locations if no games are played there? Just going for a fan base without giving anything?

i didn’t realize until now that this is entirely an eastern thing. 

interesting, what’s the point of the geographic locations if no games are played there? Just going for a fan base without giving anything?
If the league survives the first year through tv ratings they will look for stadiums in each area. This is a cost cutting measure to offset start up costs.

If the league survives the first year through tv ratings they will look for stadiums in each area. This is a cost cutting measure to offset start up costs.
Thanks, that actually makes sense. Unless they were to just use college or other stadiums more local. 

Thanks, that actually makes sense. Unless they were to just use college or other stadiums more local. 
Right, probably better in a smaller stadium than Ford Field.  Todays game has the look of a fleabag bowl game, with more people on the field than in the stands. Actual home teams would solve that somewhat if the tickets are cheap enough.

Right, probably better in a smaller stadium than Ford Field.  Todays game has the look of a fleabag bowl game, with more people on the field than in the stands. Actual home teams would solve that somewhat if the tickets are cheap enough.
Right. Michigan panthers playing in A2 Probably wouldn’t look great but would sell tickets. Put them in Ypsilanti or Kalamazoo and it probably sells and looks decent. Doing this probably helps smaller colleges too 🤷

First game had a fast start for both teams, settled down into boring incompetence, and then had a very exciting finish. I watched the beginning real time, fast forwarded thru most of the middle 2 quarters, and then watched most of the 4th quarter real time…and then realized I didn’t add extra time to the end of my DVR recording so missed the final 2 minutes where the final 2 scores decide the tie game. 

what’s odd is that the AAF (RIP) actually had MUCH more name recognition with former/recent NFL players while I barely notice any names at all in the USFL. I really wonder how the AAF might have fared if Covid didn’t hit. Hopefully the USFL has a better fate. Then again, the XFL comes next spring, so they cannibalize each other and drive right into a ditch.

I think the stands were much more filled for the first game between NJ and Birmingham, and today's game between Hou and Mich was rain/thunder delayed, so I’m sure that didn’t help. But, yeah, the stands are practically empty. 
Will be interesting to see how this progresses both today's next 2 games and throughout the season. 

I saw maybe 5 minutes of the game last night. It’s not my USFL of yesteryear that’s for sure 

First game today at noon on NBC. 
They looked absolutely terrible in the first half. Owned at the line of scrimmage. Second half was very different.

Anyway, it's going to be interesting to see how this league plays out. Hopefully the quality slowly improves as the season progresses.

@USFL: Due to the risk of severe weather, tonight’s Maulers - Bandits game has been rescheduled to ensure the safety of our players & fans.

A rescheduled date & start time will be released later tonight. 

Fans holding tickets for today’s games will be given a ticket to a future date.

If these leagues can get enough money behind them all they need is to be able to pay the high school recruits better than the colleges can to be successful. 

Be the first to pay that 5 star stud a cool million to come play QB for the Tampa Bay Bandits. 

If these leagues can get enough money behind them all they need is to be able to pay the high school recruits better than the colleges can to be successful. 

Be the first to pay that 5 star stud a cool million to come play QB for the Tampa Bay Bandits. 
There is no way these leagues will ever have more money than the Big 10 SEC etc. Those college tv contracts alone pay out 40-50M per school. 

Hard to tell if you are watching 1-off from the NFL or the California Penal League at times. Long spells of incompetence all the way around. 

-They should steer clear of traditional NFL TV angles, the more of the field they include in the shots the slower the players appear to be. I would rather watch the game thru the QB's helmet or something and then cut away when he either hands off or throws the ball and then zoom in on the target. Slowwwwwww 

@jmcgonigal9: Kinda surprised former NFL 4th-round pick Kyle Lauletta isn't starting at QB for the Maulers. He's here on the sideline with his helmet on. San Jose State's Josh Love is starting instead. Maulers haven't attempted a pass yet. 7 rushes for 15 yards, 2 punts.

@jmcgonigal9: Kinda surprised former NFL 4th-round pick Kyle Lauletta isn't starting at QB for the Maulers. He's here on the sideline with his helmet on. San Jose State's Josh Love is starting instead. Maulers haven't attempted a pass yet. 7 rushes for 15 yards, 2 punts.
I think the announcers said 20 of pitt’s first 24 plays were runs? If so :lmao:   - between that and the viral video above, not a good day for that Pittsburgh coach. 

Nice warmup rust game for Taamu. Two years since he impressed us I'm XFL and he got a nice cozy 17-3 W.

It's messed up how he both hasn't gotten a sincere chance in the NFL and Draft kings was all over his price too.

The Titans have had poor backups and he moved to Nashville and works out with their WRs and....they still never signed him. Very odd.

Anywho....I hope he wins me some $ in USFL DFS

Users who are viewing this thread