What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official The Last of Us HBO TV thread***** Pro clicker rights in here! (1 Viewer)

The 2nd game is fantastic.

Period.
User reviews were mostly super-positive, and like I said before I was a huge fan of the first game, so I'm inclined to think that you're probably right.

The issue is that we are drowning in fantastic games, fantastic shows, and fantastic movies. I never played TLOU2 and never felt like I missed out on anything at all, because I just played some other top-shelf game instead. It's not 1990, and I don't have to put up with culture war sludge to enjoy media anymore. I can just costly skip over that stuff and consume media that isn't so intentionally divisive.
So you're skipping the game and show because it has gay characters?
No, of course not. What I'm getting at is that there's a particular marketing strategy that certain content creators use these days, where the intentionally stoke culture war fights as a way of getting their product in the news. Star Wars does this. So did the new Lord of the Rings show. TLOU didn't do this, but TLOU2 did. I just skip over these products. I don't want politics in my entertainment consumption.
What cultural war thing did the new LotR's do?
I was wondering the same thing. I think there was a lot of OMG there are black characters and Tolkien would have never done that purists. The same people didn’t seem to mind the black characters in House of Dragons.
It was this plus a warrior Galadriel. Also, plenty of people complained about black Targaryen's as their blond hair was one of the main plot points of the GoT.

I liked the love story in Ep3. I can see where living in isolation in a post apocalyptic world would make one yearn for emotional attachment whether hereto or homosexual.

Having said that, be warned...if any one of you come on to me, even at the end of civilization, I'll probably shoot you.
That’s wxactly what the Marine dad in American Beauty said. Until the last scene.

I liked the love story in Ep3. I can see where living in isolation in a post apocalyptic world would make one yearn for emotional attachment whether hereto or homosexual.

Having said that, be warned...if any one of you come on to me, even at the end of civilization, I'll probably shoot you.
That’s wxactly what the Marine dad in American Beauty said. Until the last scene.
To be clear, it has nothing to do with being gay. I've just seen nothing that makes me think any of you would be a suitable partner.

Well, maybe a couple. I mean, we've all got a list... Right? :oldunsure:

To be clear, it has nothing to do with being gay. I've just seen nothing that makes me think any of you would be a suitable partner.

Well, maybe a couple. I mean, we've all got a list... Right? :oldunsure:
I don't thing Morgan Freeman is on this board though.

Keep in mind that I once advocated an Ivan/Glumpy Presidential ticket way back on this board. I certainly respect the user. Just trying to understand the point of view.

Why is asking what the Culture War political? Or is it political by definition? Like he just means Conservatives vs Liberals?

So what is the Culture War? Honestly. Is it just that some people don't like the gay/trans/whatever "progress" that is occurring? War seems like such a strong word for that.
Can you guys stop turning this into a political thread before it gets locked? I know some people can't resist, but it's a tv show based on a game.

I agree with the first sentence.

Your second was weak sauce. Address “some people” directly.

Here's the definition I got from Google"
A culture war is a cultural conflict between social groups and the struggle for dominance of their values, beliefs, and practices.[1] It commonly refers to topics on which there is general societal disagreement and polarization in societal values.

Is that just normal US politics?

You’re free to start a thread on it you want. As fish said, this is a television show thread. Let’s stick to that shows reality so we can escape all the other stuff.

Here's the definition I got from Google"
A culture war is a cultural conflict between social groups and the struggle for dominance of their values, beliefs, and practices.[1] It commonly refers to topics on which there is general societal disagreement and polarization in societal values.

Is that just normal US politics?

You’re free to start a thread on it you want. As fish said, this is a television show thread. Let’s stick to that shows reality so we can escape all the other stuff.
Fair enough. Sorry for the diversion.

They should be able to retcon an image there. Not like they showed Joel and Ellie traversing a mountain -- just woods and a stream.

Side question: How old is Joel supposed to be? He fought in Desert Storm in '91?
Joel is 56, I think they said it in episode one or two... or it can be pieced together from his past birthday and the 20 year time jump.
Joel has a great skin care routine!
Hell, he wears a helmet all day in his other role. Face has barely seen the sun.

Pascal really is on an epic run: Game of Thrones, Narcos, Mandalorian, Last of Us.
I liked him in The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent.

While I get this sentiment, these stories are all make believe. So they could just write the whole series into 5 minutes if they cut enough exposition out. What is the point of the truck? Well they go west...no need to show the truck, just mention it "Welcome to Idaho, hey lucky we found that truck back there." I like it they way they are doing it. Why have Joel wear Frank's flannel...it's just a shirt after all. But with some backstory on Frank, it has a little meaning.
The game is hour after hour of navigating ruin mazes then sneaking up on and shiving monsters. After the first two episodes I was worried they were going to stick too close to the game with “fetch quests” like the battery instead of creating story. Color me pleasantly surprised by episode 3. This might develop into a real show.

As an aside, Murray Bartlett is having a pretty good run at the moment. We just wrapped up Welcome to Chippendales and he is the best thing about it.

This show is so good, another really good episode in 4. It has been so long since I played the game, I'm having to remember some pieces but it is enhancing this viewing experience. Of course I remember some really big plot points coming up, but this is just so well acted. Pedro and Bella have brought these roles to life.

This show is so good, another really good episode in 4. It has been so long since I played the game, I'm having to remember some pieces but it is enhancing this viewing experience. Of course I remember some really big plot points coming up, but this is just so well acted. Pedro and Bella have brought these roles to life.
So many easter eggs in this episode!

I have never played the game and I haven't seen episodes 1 and 2 of the series. I'm away with my wife for a music weekend and in a hotel with a rather limited channel selection, but they do have HBO. So we watched episode 3 tonight.

That was damn good television. While I'm a bit uncomfortable watching men kiss and talk about sex with each other I don't think TV or the movies owe it to me to make me comfortable. It was a good,long picture of the evolution and eventual end of a relationship.

If the objection to that relationship is that it wasn't true to the video game that sounds a lot like "it's all about ethics in converting a video game into a movie" and we all know how misogynist gamergate and "it's all about ethics in video game journalism" was. If the objection to that relationship isn't any personal objection, but that it is part of a "culture war", that just someone missing the PSF and injecting politics since the vast majority of times "culture war" is mentioned is in relation to politics.

Nick Offerman did a great job. I do want to see the whole series but will wait probably wait until it's all done and then watch it all at once. Seems like pretty good damn TV to me.

I have never played the game and I haven't seen episodes 1 and 2 of the series. I'm away with my wife for a music weekend and in a hotel with a rather limited channel selection, but they do have HBO. So we watched episode 3 tonight.

That was damn good television. While I'm a bit uncomfortable watching men kiss and talk about sex with each other I don't think TV or the movies owe it to me to make me comfortable. It was a good,long picture of the evolution and eventual end of a relationship.

If the objection to that relationship is that it wasn't true to the video game that sounds a lot like "it's all about ethics in converting a video game into a movie" and we all know how misogynist gamergate and "it's all about ethics in video game journalism" was. If the objection to that relationship isn't any personal objection, but that it is part of a "culture war", that just someone missing the PSF and injecting politics since the vast majority of times "culture war" is mentioned is in relation to politics.

Nick Offerman did a great job. I do want to see the whole series but will wait probably wait until it's all done and then watch it all at once. Seems like pretty good damn TV to me.
You watched what Offerman himself called a stand alone bottle episode. It is an example of how well done the series is though.

You watched what Offerman himself called a stand alone bottle episode.
OK, thanks. What does that mean and how is it supposed to affect my viewing? Thanks.
The first 2 episodes you missed laid the groundwork for the ultimate story, and that story was picked up in tonight's episode 4. Episode 3 did not advance the story (well perhaps a tiny bit) and could really be watched by anyone without any prior knowledge of the show.

I was just offering that the show you watched is representative of the quality of the show overall and that you didn't miss anything really by not watching the first 2 episodes (well a few things will have deeper meaning, particularly with one reference to a person).

Really supposed to buy this actress as the tough leader of the local militia?

I'll give it one more episode but it just isn't grabbing me.
I think you're missing the point. She's a new character (not in the game). I think the point of her character is not to be some tough leader of a militia or a big bad but she's just 'people". I think they are trying to set the tone for some stuff that happens in the 2nd game.

I love this show. When they do the gay scenes like in episode 3, I get up and get a snack. I don't mind the idea of that being in the storyline, but not shoved at me like episode 3 did. I hope the rest of the series is geared more towards episode 4 and beyond. This show reminds me when "The Walking Dead" was good.

If the infected are limited to certain population dense places now, shouldn't it be easier to eradicate them? And it isn't like they get super strength somehow, right? How did tanks and the military not stop them?

If the infected are limited to certain population dense places now, shouldn't it be easier to eradicate them? And it isn't like they get super strength somehow, right? How did tanks and the military not stop them?
You're talking about millions of infected all happening at once. As far as super strength there is a stage after clickers which I dont want to spoil from the game. Not sure if they are in the show although I am wondering if that moving ground in the last episode was related to what I am talking about.

You're talking about millions of infected all happening at once. As far as super strength there is a stage after clickers which I dont want to spoil from the game. Not sure if they are in the show although I am wondering if that moving ground in the last episode was related to what I am talking about.

I get it at first, kind of (not so sold on 3 days and the world ends) but now that time has passed, shouldn't they have died out a bit on their own with less hosts? And if they seem to be more concentrated now due to the host problem -- like Joel was not concerned about infected anywhere except in Boston outside the QZ.

I'm wondering why they changed the location of the past episode to Kansas City. In the game it takes place in Pittsburgh.

I get it at first, kind of (not so sold on 3 days and the world ends) but now that time has passed, shouldn't they have died out a bit on their own with less hosts? And if they seem to be more concentrated now due to the host problem -- like Joel was not concerned about infected anywhere except in Boston outside the QZ.
They don't die out. The fungus keeps growing and growing. Infected eventually become clickers. Clickers eventually become something else...

Really supposed to buy this actress as the tough leader of the local militia?

I'll give it one more episode but it just isn't grabbing me.
I think you're missing the point. She's a new character (not in the game). I think the point of her character is not to be some tough leader of a militia or a big bad but she's just 'people". I think they are trying to set the tone for some stuff that happens in the 2nd game.
Meh...she was barking out orders and seemed to be in charge. Not a fan of the casting if that's what she appears to be.

BTW this is exactly what I was talking about regarding the role of Kathleen

“[An original character] that Craig came up with was the character of Kathleen, who was the leader of who in the game of these guys were the hunters, and they take a slightly different role here," Neil Druckmann, the creator of The Last of Us video game, told ScreenRant. "Because I love the idea that there aren't just good guys and bad guys. Everybody's trying to survive, everybody's trying to live life to the fullest way they can. But often, the goals are competing with each other, and that's where the interesting things happen.”

Users who are viewing this thread