What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Super Bowl XLV Game Thread*** (1 Viewer)

bryhamm said:
I was so pumped when PIT got the ball back down only 6 with 2 min and a TO. I thought for sure that Ben could do it again.And I don't mind that they didn't do it (well, I do mind) but it's the way that they didn't do it. Makes me sick right now.
I was sick to my stomach until that 4th down play.Seriously

does the packers get to play a second place schedule still even though it won the Super Bowl because man that would be awesome if the Bears still had to play the division winner schedule and we get finley back and get some even better lineman with tousch and clifton getting long in the tooth and starks picks it up even more and ulysses s grant comes back man oh man oh man

does the packers get to play a second place schedule still even though it won the Super Bowl because man that would be awesome if the Bears still had to play the division winner schedule and we get finley back and get some even better lineman with tousch and clifton getting long in the tooth and starks picks it up even more and ulysses s grant comes back man oh man oh man
yup

sho nuff said:
I can't freaking believe it.

Just a great win.

Great TEAM...I put that in caps for a reason.

And to all those who bashed Thompson....enjoy.

You know who you are...you turned your back on this team...you bashed those who believed.

But in the end, the Packers came out on top. Great for Woodson and Clifton and Tauscher and Driver and Rodgers and everone. Just a great day.
OK, here we go. I know you won't let this go, and I shouldn't even respond, but I will make exactly ONE response to this ridiculous post.No one turned their back on the team. I bashed TT relentlessly and I bashed McCarthy. We were wrong, but never ever turned our backs on this team. So STOP IT.

And then you wonder why people get on you.

Done...... And DO NOT PM me.

sho nuff said:

Just a great win.

You know who you are...you turned your back on this team...you bashed those who believed.

But in the end, the Packers came out on top. Great for Woodson and Clifton and Tauscher and Driver and Rodgers and everone. Just a great day.
OK, here we go. I know you won't let this go, and I shouldn't even respond, but I will make exactly ONE response to this ridiculous post.No one turned their back on the team. I bashed TT relentlessly and I bashed McCarthy. We were wrong, but never ever turned our backs on this team. So STOP IT.

I disagree that people did not turn on this team. There were those who chose to go with Favre and even cheered for the Vikings with him to beat GB.Im not saying all did...but there were some who did.

THey do...but it affects all of 2 games.And with the changes from year to year, sometimes those 2nd place teams are better the next year anyway.

Only 2 games are affected. Yes, Chicago plays the other first place teams. But honestly, it's a wash in my opinion, you could even argue that the Packers opponents will be better in 2011.Bears vs. Eagles and SeahawksPackers vs. Giants and Rams

sho nuff said:

Just a great win.

:confused: and I am glad we were wrong! :thumbup:

snogger said:
As a Viking fan I watched this game like all the rest since 1977 ..

:shrug: just hope for a good game. :confused:

and we got it!! :thumbup:

Great FLAWLESS game by the Packers!! Sure there were some badly dropped balls, but overall...

No turnovers, very few "shoot yourself in the foot" penalties, good coaching, GREAT Defensive play!

Throw in the refs didn't cause anyone to win or lose this game and you got one hell of a game!!! :excited:

Congrats to Rodgers for getting the Favre Monkey off his back! :P

Congrats to Woodson for getting the "Tuck" Monkey off his back! :thumbup:

Enjoy the Championship Packer fans, your team deserved it!! :suds:
:hifive:

Great game. Hats off to the Pack and congrats to their fans. Not going to lose the turnover battle 3-0 and beat a team that good. Steelers were second-best yesterday and the Pack deserved the trophy.I will now retire from the Shark Pool until FF draft prep starts in July. :confused:
EG, Wait!

bryhamm said:
I was so pumped when PIT got the ball back down only 6 with 2 min and a TO. I thought for sure that Ben could do it again.And I don't mind that they didn't do it (well, I do mind) but it's the way that they didn't do it. Makes me sick right now.
Congrats on the win. I'm sure you are on cloud 9 right now. Losing sucks, but I am proud that they fought back after the huge deficit and actually had a chance to win it at the end.HUGE, HUGE props to Rodgers. Not many QBs could handle the D that Pit gave him in the 2nd half and still remain calm and cool enough to make the plays when needed.

Packer fans- now that you have won a SB, and you have a great young QB that will keep you relevant for years to come...

Isn't it time to forgive Brett Favre? In just a few years, he's going to be eligble for the Hall, and it would be terrible if there was still hostility toward him from Green Bay fans. Now that he's finally retired, why not honor him and treat him with the love he deserves as one of your franchise's greatest players ever?

Packer fans- now that you have won a SB, and you have a great young QB that will keep you relevant for years to come...Isn't it time to forgive Brett Favre? In just a few years, he's going to be eligble for the Hall, and it would be terrible if there was still hostility toward him from Green Bay fans. Now that he's finally retired, why not honor him and treat him with the love he deserves as one of your franchise's greatest players ever?
When he and Thompson both can come together he will be honored for sure.Some will hold on and keep the feeling of "betrayal" they think they felt.I think most will honor him when the time is right...right now, its time to honor the current team.

Congratulations to all Pack fans on the board. Tremendous team win, especially after Woodson went down. Rodgers made some big throws into tight coverage, I was really impressed with him on the big stage. Very bright future for the Pack.

Clay Matthews strip of Mendenhall was the turning point in the game. For the Steelers, I was impressed they kept battling when clearly they didn't have their A-game. Rarely does any team have a shot to win the game down 3 in the turnover battle yet they did. Also credit Doug Legursky, this was a big concern coming into the game and I see that Raji was held without a tackle.
I was meaning to say something about this. Legursky came up big yesterday. played a hell of a game. You didn't hear Raji' name once.

Excellent game for that kid, stepping into a very tough situation.

Packer fans- now that you have won a SB, and you have a great young QB that will keep you relevant for years to come...Isn't it time to forgive Brett Favre? In just a few years, he's going to be eligble for the Hall, and it would be terrible if there was still hostility toward him from Green Bay fans. Now that he's finally retired, why not honor him and treat him with the love he deserves as one of your franchise's greatest players ever?
It would be nice if he took the first step toward that reconciliation, but I don't expect that to happen. It was just a few weeks ago when he was urging the Bears on against the Packers - kicking more sand in the fans' faces. I imagine Favre is very disappointed today to see Packer fans so happy. I am sure a reconciliation will happen someday and he'll be welcomed back. If he is truly retired, I expect the team will reach out to him soon.

bryhamm said:
I was so pumped when PIT got the ball back down only 6 with 2 min and a TO. I thought for sure that Ben could do it again.

And I don't mind that they didn't do it (well, I do mind) but it's the way that they didn't do it. Makes me sick right now.
Congrats on the win. I'm sure you are on cloud 9 right now. Losing sucks, but I am proud that they fought back after the huge deficit and actually had a chance to win it at the end.HUGE, HUGE props to Rodgers. Not many QBs could handle the D that Pit gave him in the 2nd half and still remain calm and cool enough to make the plays when needed.
Thanks, and I am absolutely still on cloud 9. I was up til 3am watching everything I could about it, and today I watched the game again.I think we'll see you guys again, maybe a SB rematch next year. The Steelers are a great team and you fans should be proud.

Congratulations to all Pack fans on the board. Tremendous team win, especially after Woodson went down. Rodgers made some big throws into tight coverage, I was really impressed with him on the big stage. Very bright future for the Pack.

Clay Matthews strip of Mendenhall was the turning point in the game. For the Steelers, I was impressed they kept battling when clearly they didn't have their A-game. Rarely does any team have a shot to win the game down 3 in the turnover battle yet they did. Also credit Doug Legursky, this was a big concern coming into the game and I see that Raji was held without a tackle.
I was meaning to say something about this. Legursky came up big yesterday. played a hell of a game. You didn't hear Raji' name once.

The Packer tackles also played a huge game against Harrison and Woodley, who were largely neutralized. Clifton particularly had an awesome playoff run, in six consecutive games, stoning Umenyiora, Peppers, Cole, Abraham, Peppers again and then Harrison.

Who?

It would be nice if he took the first step toward that reconciliation, but I don't expect that to happen. It was just a few weeks ago when he was urging the Bears on against the Packers - kicking more sand in the fans' faces. I imagine Favre is very disappointed today to see Packer fans so happy. I am sure a reconciliation will happen someday and he'll be welcomed back. If he is truly retired, I expect the team will reach out to him soon.
If by soon, you mean within the next 2 years, yes.But Sho was dead on. Now is the time to honor this team.

The Packer tackles also played a huge game against Harrison and Woodley, who were largely neutralized. Clifton particularly had an awesome playoff run, in six consecutive games, stoning Umenyiora, Peppers, Cole, Abraham, Peppers again and then Harrison.
Definitely...that guy just kept getting it done.

He was definitely on of Wolf's best picks. I remember being mad that they took him over the other Tennessee guy, I forget his name, I think he played for Tampa.

A disappointing end to a very good season for the Steelers. To state the obvious: turnovers killed the Steelers. The better team won last night, congrats Packers and their fans.

For all the talk of Polamalu and Harrison, they were largely invisible last night. I think Harrison did end up with one sack. For my money, I think Urlacher and Peppers are scarier to face off against. Polamalu got schooled by Jennings on that touchdown pass in the corner. He just guess wrong.

Ben missed that long one to Wallace too. That's a throw that just has to be made to win a game like this. He did not seem sharp. But I will admit I was pretty nervous when they went into the 2 minute drill down by 6. At that point though, they did not seem to have their ducks in a row.

Also, was that a career high in catches for Wallace (and conversely a career low in ypc). They used him like a possession guy and he got drilled by Desmond Bishop twice that I remember. I expected a lot more deep balls to him, I wonder why they got away from that philosophy. Maybe it had something to do with that knee thing that Ben had early on. ;) It must have been something because Green Bay was ripe for the picking on deep shots. Come to think of it on that last drive Ben missed one and just threw one away. Maybe he was more hurt than anyone knew.

Woodley and Harrison both had sacks.

Woodley and Harrison both had sacks.
They didn't have great games though.

For all the talk of Polamalu and Harrison, they were largely invisible last night. I think Harrison did end up with one sack. For my money, I think Urlacher and Peppers are scarier to face off against. Polamalu got schooled by Jennings on that touchdown pass in the corner. He just guess wrong.

Ben missed that long one to Wallace too. That's a throw that just has to be made to win a game like this. He did not seem sharp. But I will admit I was pretty nervous when they went into the 2 minute drill down by 6. At that point though, they did not seem to have their ducks in a row.

Also, was that a career high in catches for Wallace (and conversely a career low in ypc). They used him like a possession guy and he got drilled by Desmond Bishop twice that I remember. I expected a lot more deep balls to him, I wonder why they got away from that philosophy. Maybe it had something to do with that knee thing that Ben had early on. :goodposting: It must have been something because Green Bay was ripe for the picking on deep shots. Come to think of it on that last drive Ben missed one and just threw one away. Maybe he was more hurt than anyone knew.
I think if you consider all 3 playoff games, I'd be shocked if Troy was playing at more than about 70%.Not making excuses for the loss, just saying that you didn't see a healthy Troy out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Favre was a great player for the Packers. I think most Packer fans do honor and respect Favre and he was one of the franchise's greatest players. The Packers have been blessed to have two great quarterbacks like Favre and RogersGO PACK GO

Packer fans- now that you have won a SB, and you have a great young QB that will keep you relevant for years to come...

Isn't it time to forgive Brett Favre? In just a few years, he's going to be eligble for the Hall, and it would be terrible if there was still hostility toward him from Green Bay fans. Now that he's finally retired, why not honor him and treat him with the love he deserves as one of your franchise's greatest players ever?
Favre was a great player for the Packers. I think most Packer fans do honor and respect Favre and he was one of the franchise's greatest players. The Packers have been blessed to have two great quarterbacks like Favre and Rogers

GO PACK GO
Rodgers isn't a bad qb either. :goodposting:

I was just thinking about this very thing on the drive home from work today.It's a lot easier to like Favre again. I was in the anti-farve camp for a long time. But this year, really has me looking past all the crap he did the past couple years. I'm over it. He's retired. We're winning Superbowls without him. I can move on and embrace all the good that he did for the team and city for all those years.

annihilated the Cowboys and got their coach fired

swept Brent's Vikings and got their coach fired

beat Vick

engaged destiny mode vs. Atlanta

beat the Bears in their house in the biggest matchup of my lifetime

put on the belt

SWAG

Also, was that a career high in catches for Wallace (and conversely a career low in ypc). They used him like a possession guy and he got drilled by Desmond Bishop twice that I remember. I expected a lot more deep balls to him, I wonder why they got away from that philosophy. Maybe it had something to do with that knee thing that Ben had early on. :unsure: It must have been something because Green Bay was ripe for the picking on deep shots. Come to think of it on that last drive Ben missed one and just threw one away. Maybe he was more hurt than anyone knew.
I think if you consider all 3 playoff games, I'd be shocked if Troy was playing at more than about 70%.Not making excuses for the loss, just saying that you didn't see a healthy Troy out there.
It has been fairly obvious to even casual observers that Polamalu has been hampered for the last month.

It will be interesting to see if the anti-Brett crusaders pull a waffle and actually honor him. That would be pretty hypocritical of them.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
CrossEyed said:
I think if you consider all 3 playoff games, I'd be shocked if Troy was playing at more than about 70%.

Not making excuses for the loss, just saying that you didn't see a healthy Troy out there.
It has been fairly obvious to even casual observers that Polamalu has been hampered for the last month.
FWIW:"It was the healthiest I've been ... the best I've felt probably since the middle of the season."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/02/troy-...ess-conference/

Sabertooth said:
sho nuff said:
CletiusMaximus said:
He was definitely on of Wolf's best picks. I remember being mad that they took him over the other Tennessee guy, I forget his name, I think he played for Tampa.
Cosey Coleman, drafted 7 picks later by TB.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosey_Coleman

I found this hilarious: "Coleman now is a licensed Sandwich Artist at a greater Tampa Subway shop."

Underachievers said:
timschochet said:
It will be interesting to see if the anti-Brett crusaders pull a waffle and actually honor him. That would be pretty hypocritical of them.
It wouldn't be hypocritical at all. It would be a re-evaluation without the emotion. People tend to be more forgiving under such circumstances.

Underachievers said:
Waffle? Now that is irony at its best. Most of the "anti" Brett crowd was just sick and tired of his waffling and jerking around the front office and fans. It's also pretty tough to "honor" him while he is playing for a hated rival. That's not being hypocritical at all. Most true Packer fans will honor him in due time. If he had won the Super Bowl last year, and the Packers hadn't gone on this glorious run this year, it could have been a much longer wait. However, since he broke Vikings fans hearts in the NFC Championship with a couple of picks and that dagger at the end (that Packer fans had unfortunately seen a few too many times before), I think the bad feelings will be gone much quicker.

Not sure if it was brought up or not but didn't Pittsburgh have one timeout remaining on the 4th down play? And, if so, why did they not use it to collect their thoughts and make sure everyone was on the same page?

Not sure if it was brought up or not but didn't Pittsburgh have one timeout remaining on the 4th down play? And, if so, why did they not use it to collect their thoughts and make sure everyone was on the same page?
There was only a minute left in the game and they were still not even at their own 30 yard line. I don't think they would have had enough time to score without that timeout.

Mayock on Playbook

"The window on that throw was literally the length of a football-are you kidding me?"

:(

Wait til Finley gets back.

Underachievers said:
timschochet said:
It wouldn't be hypocritical at all. It would be a re-evaluation without the emotion. People tend to be more forgiving under such circumstances.
I don't see haters or crusaders-that puts al the blame on the fans and nothing on Favre-the liar. Forgiving him is one thing, hiring him is another(I heard they want to bring him in to represent the team).I supported him until he left the Jets. When he retired while sending his medical reports to the Vikings the next day did it for me. I wouldn't support this. One too many bridge was burned in my case.

Users who are viewing this thread