What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Rams lawsuit thread, 11/24/21 St. Louis settles for a lousy 790 Million (2 Viewers)

I've read that rumor as well, but don't understand how that can possibly factor into a settlement in this case.  How can the NFL promise the city a franchise?  I get the NFL could fund a stadium, but who would own the new team?  It seems like a nonsense rumor to me.  It seems the City is sitting in the catbird seat on this, with a judge who is not hearing any of the BS from these wealthy defendants. A billion dollars is probably worth it to these guys and the NFL to avoid trial imo.

I assumed it would be an expansion team but yes, who the owner would be is a big part of that equation isn't it?

This was filed a couple of days ago:

NFL files emergency appeal to move Rams relocation lawsuit out of St. Louis

Since the judge already ruled stated that he doesn't see an issue with an impartial jury I can't imagine this would sit well with him? 

Still love this so much from the last time they tried to get a change of venue.

The judge disagreed, noting that the defendants’ previous arguments — that the region’s tepid support of the football team led to its departure — seem at odds with their latest claim that all city residents automatically have an interest in the outcome of the case.

:lmao:

The NFL seems to have a problem with leaks.  This isn't the craziest part, but omg:

Jones and Pash had a brief back-and-forth, then Jones asked Pash whether Kroenke had tried to settle the lawsuit.

Pash replied that he had, sources told ESPN. Jones indicated that Kroenke's settlement figure was billions of dollars. Pash refused to confirm the figure -- a source with direct knowledge of the situation told ESPN it was less than a billion -- but told those in the meeting that it was more than the net worth of some in the room.

It seems everyone who is following the lawsuit expects the NFL to lose, with the only question being how high the verdict is and what other punitive measures the Court and jury can dole out.

I assumed it would be an expansion team but yes, who the owner would be is a big part of that equation isn't it?

This was filed a couple of days ago:

NFL files emergency appeal to move Rams relocation lawsuit out of St. Louis

Since the judge already ruled stated that he doesn't see an issue with an impartial jury I can't imagine this would sit well with him? 

Still love this so much from the last time they tried to get a change of venue.

"The judge disagreed, noting that the defendants’ previous arguments — that the region’s tepid support of the football team led to its departure — seem at odds with their latest claim that all city residents automatically have an interest in the outcome of the case."

HFS I love it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The NFL seems to have a problem with leaks.  This isn't the craziest part, but omg:

It seems everyone who is following the lawsuit expects the NFL to lose, with the only question being how high the verdict is and what other punitive measures the Court and jury can dole out.
One would think this the case if the city is turning down a “billions” of dollar settlement offer. 

So my question is, what does Jerry have invested in this thing on Kroenke’s side that he is going to bat for him so hard? 

I’m certainly not going to cry for the other owners since they were just fine with screwing over St Louis as long as they didn’t have to deal with any negative financial consequences. But it seems from a legal and practical view, that they have every reason to be outraged that Kroenke would try to get out of his indemnification agreement. If they otherwise would have approved the Raiders or some other team because they knew that the Rams moving was going to create a legal problem, then trying to get out of the agreement now seems like total garbage. I can’t believe any owner would even try to argue in his favor.

The only reason I can think of for an owner to try to argue in favor of Kroenke, is that Jones knows that this could seriously hamstring the threats of other franchises moving in the future. The league LOVES to hold the threat of moving over cities to extort billions of dollars in public money from them. If the owners put the entire liability on that one owner, how many owners will re-think even making those threats knowing how much it could cost them to move?

I’m loving every one of these developments.

So my question is, what does Jerry have invested in this thing on Kroenke’s side that he is going to bat for him so hard? 

I’m certainly not going to cry for the other owners since they were just fine with screwing over St Louis as long as they didn’t have to deal with any negative financial consequences. But it seems from a legal and practical view, that they have every reason to be outraged that Kroenke would try to get out of his indemnification agreement. If they otherwise would have approved the Raiders or some other team because they knew that the Rams moving was going to create a legal problem, then trying to get out of the agreement now seems like total garbage. I can’t believe any owner would even try to argue in his favor.

The only reason I can think of for an owner to try to argue in favor of Kroenke, is that Jones knows that this could seriously hamstring the threats of other franchises moving in the future. The league LOVES to hold the threat of moving over cities to extort billions of dollars in public money from them. If the owners put the entire liability on that one owner, how many owners will re-think even making those threats knowing how much it could cost them to move?

I’m loving every one of these developments.

Here you go:

On top of Jones benefiting from the relocation fee and the league’s shared boost in value, his Legends company received a massive contract for services at Kroenke's SoFi Stadium.
Link

Which means that money he made would be subject to punitive damages.

As I typed earlier, I hope it hamstrings the NFL from moving and extorting these cities.  It's their business plan and it's wrong IMO.

It was like they WANTED it to be that scene in The Godfather but it was more like a freaking joke.  Goodell isn't the Godfather, but wants to act like one.
It would of been but Kroenke decided to go out and buy a pink Cadillac the day everything was finalized.  Also, sorry for mixing movies, but Kevin Demoff was was/is the perfect Fredo.  As I wrote when I started this thread, all of the evidence of wrongdoing is public record and from Kroenke/Demoff.  Nitwits.

rumors that the settlement could be more than the net worth of some NFL owners is pretty crazy. Go St Louis.

I think that was a shot at one owner, Spanos.

But in 2019, an ESPN report on the Rams-Chargers marriage detailed that discovery in the lawsuit had turned up an email from an official affiliated with the competing Carson proposal that outlined to St. Louis authorities all the ways the Rams seemed to be in violation of the league's relocation policy, providing a blueprint for the city of St. Louis' lawsuit.

IMO this info had to come from either Spanos or Davis.   Spanos is "poor" by NFL owner standards and most of his net worth is tied up in Chargers.  He tried to get the public to pay for a stadium many times which was never close to passing by the voters.  Then the NFL refused to help pay for a new stadium in SD.  So he's bitter as hell and isn't real happy to be Kroenke's tenant even if the price is right.

I think that was a shot at one owner, Spanos.

IMO this info had to come from either Spanos or Davis.   Spanos is "poor" by NFL owner standards and most of his net worth is tied up in Chargers.  He tried to get the public to pay for a stadium many times which was never close to passing by the voters.  Then the NFL refused to help pay for a new stadium in SD.  So he's bitter as hell and isn't real happy to be Kroenke's tenant even if the price is right.

Of course now we're in a Who Shot Mr. Burns situation.  The only person that doesn't want to kneecap Kroenke is Jones.  The level of detail about the owner's meeting in that ESPN report is insane.  Especially after Stan and all of the owner's goons were asked to leave the room.

JaxBill said:
@SportsLawLust: 🚨 BREAKING

Lawyers reached a $790M global settlement to resolve the St. Louis Rams Relocation Lawsuit. It is unclear what percentage will be paid by Stan Kroenke as compared to the NFL.

The deal does not include an expansion football team for St. Louis. https://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/sources-790-million-settlement-reached-in-rams-relocation-lawsuit/article_020b5bde-3a33-557b-aa8c-870b4c562d03.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Don't care about the expansion team but think we could have easily gotten double that amount. 

Now we need city leaders to do something useful with that money and sadly their track record is how you would say "not good".

JaxBill said:
@SportsLawLust: 🚨 BREAKING

Lawyers reached a $790M global settlement to resolve the St. Louis Rams Relocation Lawsuit. It is unclear what percentage will be paid by Stan Kroenke as compared to the NFL.

The deal does not include an expansion football team for St. Louis. https://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/sources-790-million-settlement-reached-in-rams-relocation-lawsuit/article_020b5bde-3a33-557b-aa8c-870b4c562d03.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
Hope St Louis doesn't spend it all in one place.

$790MM

a) a small price to pay for not having to release all the documents and e-mails that prove they are exactly who we think they are?

b) are you kidding me?  $790MM!!  St. Louis took the NFL to the cleaners, man!

Hope St Louis doesn't spend it all in one place.

Well already have a monorail so.......

Chiefs tickets?

:lmao:   pass

$790MM

a) a small price to pay for not having to release all the documents and e-mails that prove they are exactly who we think they are?

b) are you kidding me?  $790MM!!  St. Louis took the NFL to the cleaners, man!

:lmao: Tongue in cheek.  That's a massive amount of money.  Particularly when most thought we wouldn't get a penny.

Just catching up on this. This was anticlimactic, to say the least. 

I'm a little disappointed they didn't get more out of it. 

I hear you but "we" still did quite well.  Who knows what happens at trial, appeals etc. 

Well already have a monorail so.......

:lmao:   pass

:lmao: Tongue in cheek.  That's a massive amount of money.  Particularly when most thought we wouldn't get a penny.

I hear you but "we" still did quite well.  Who knows what happens at trial, appeals etc. 
My understanding is that $350M of the $790M is in the form of 50% off coupons to the Arsenal apparel store. 

Users who are viewing this thread