What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Polar Vortex Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Two days ago was a bone chilling 13 degrees and windy.  Yesterday made it up to 25. Today it was 54 and rainy. 

High of 1 today, but not bad at all since it wasn't windy.  My wife and I shoveled off the driveway together and it was quite pleasant.  (No, "shoveled off the driveway" is not a euphemism, although perhaps it should be now that I think about it).  

I would like to run tomorrow morning, but I am seeing air temps of -30 and wind chills of -50, so #### that.  I will wait until the gym opens.  That's actually about as cold as I've ever experienced.  Edit: For a point of reference, I will routinely run outside on the weekends when its in the single digits below zero.  Minus 30 is out of the question.  It's tough to dress for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:

Bill Karins Retweeted

NWS ‏@NWS  Dec 12
"Polar vortex" have you scratching your head? Get facts instead of hype: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/cold/polar_vortex.shtml 

What is the Polar Vortex?

The polar vortex is a large area of low pressure and cold air surrounding both of the Earth’s poles. It ALWAYS exists near the poles, but weakens in summer and strengthens in winter. The term "vortex" refers to the counter-clockwise flow of air that helps keep the colder air near the Poles. Many times during winter in the northern hemisphere, the polar vortex will expand, sending cold air southward with the jet stream (see graphic above). This occurs fairly regularly during wintertime and is often associated with large outbreaks of Arctic air in the United States. The one that occurred January 2014 is similar to many other cold outbreaks that have occurred in the past, including several notable colder outbreaks in 1977, 1982, 1985 and 1989.

There are several things the polar vortex is NOT. Polar vortexes are not something new. The term “polar vortex” has only recently been popularized, bringing attention to a weather feature that has always been present. It is also not a feature that exists at the Earth’s surface. Weather forecasters examine the polar vortex by looking at conditions tens of thousands of feet up in the atmosphere; however, when we feel extremely cold air from the Arctic regions at Earth’s surface, it is sometimes associated with the polar vortex. This is not confined to the United States. Portions of Europe and Asia also experience cold surges connected to the polar vortex. By itself, the only danger to humans is the magnitude of how cold temperatures will get when the polar vortex expands, sending Arctic air southward into areas that are not typically that col

High of 1 today, but not bad at all since it wasn't windy.  My wife and I shoveled off the driveway together and it was quite pleasant.  (No, "shoveled off the driveway" is not a euphemism, although perhaps it should be now that I think about it).  

I would like to run tomorrow morning, but I am seeing air temps of -30 and wind chills of -50, so #### that.  I will wait until the gym opens.  That's actually about as cold as I've ever experienced.  Edit: For a point of reference, I will routinely run outside on the weekends when its in the single digits below zero.  Minus 30 is out of the question.  It's tough to dress for that.
i've run in those temps before. it's..... doable. cold for the first mile or so, fingers warm up after another mile, then you hang on until breathing becomes too difficult.

My kids want to do the boiling water to ice trick. It's 7am and -25. I told them to google it and watch other people. 

Users who are viewing this thread