What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****OFFICIAL FORMULA ONE GRAND PRIX THREAD***** (1 Viewer)

I like this!

1. Max wins 17. Its incredibly hard to imagine him not winning them all. 17 seems low.
2. Max, Leclerc, Lando, Checo and Sainz
3. RB, Ferrari, McLaren
4. Haas
5. No
6. Russell finishes ahead of Lewis in points. Gasly has 3+ podiums.

I'm treating 6 as a wish list.

Post-show on F1TV -> Honda-powered cars (Red Bulls and Baby RBs) - had th empower dialed down today, expect a big boost in performance tomorrow when they dial it up.

Post-show on F1TV -> Honda-powered cars (Red Bulls and Baby RBs) - had th empower dialed down today, expect a big boost in performance tomorrow when they dial it up.
They were talking with Zak Brown about this and Brown thought that RB and Ferrari had not turned their engines up yet. FP3 should be interesting

Christian Horner cleared after investigation, will be in Bahrain with Red Bull this weekend.

Toto and Lewis immediately blame Michael Masi.

Files supposedly containing evidence related to the case has been sent anonymously to a large distribution of journalists, team principals and officials.

:stirspot:
a bunch of the alleged screenshots of text messages have been posted on twitter and reddit, no clue whether they are real or not though.

Max
Charles
George

Charles put in a quicker lap than Max’s pole time in Q2, so hope Ferrari can keep it together for a fun race.

PRE-SEASON PREDICTIONS TIME

1. Number of races (out of 24) that Verstappen wins
25....er I mean 21

2. Top five in drivers championship

:sleep: verstappen
Leclerc
Russell
Checo
Norris (would love Hamilton to be top 5 but if the season doesn't start strong that grip is gonna slip)

3. Top three in constructors championship

Haas....er Red Bull then Ferrari then Mercedes

4. Last place in constructors championship

Red Bull er I mean Haas. Though I think Haas will get twice as many points in the 2nd half as they do in the first half (0)

5. Will there be a first time GP winner (sprint races don't count so Piastri is eligible)

Naah. Though we can always hope for some Baku craziness
6. Any other fearless random predictions

Albon with a podium finish. Tsunoda with a top 5.

-QG

I think the regression for RB will be Verstappen winning by 5 seconds when he would be winning by 10 last year.

I think they sandbagged the whole weekend until Q3

-QG

Still early - but I think we could see random challenges to Verstappen during the year. Ferrari's look like they have pace - so they could get a pole on a street circuit and ride that to win.

Alpine is French for Haas.

Alpine is French for Haas.

It's early but Alpine could get ugly if they can't develop this turd.

The Renault PU has been down on power this entire tech cycle so they're already starting from behind. The car is also rumored to be 10kg overweight which compounds the engine issue. The team has had a lot of management and engineering churn in recent years and has always suffered from lack of coordination between their French and UK bases. To top it off, both of their drivers are in the final year of their contracts and Gasly and Ocon have never been the best of buds in better times.

Oh well, at least the midfield is tight and Haas seems to have gotten a handle on their tire deg problems from last year.

I'll definitely follow the sport this season, but it's hard to get too excited about it given the Verstappen dominance. It's like following the NFL if the Patriots were 28 point favorites every week.

So, lots of rumors flying about these days.

More evidence to come out against Horner this week. (likely)

Ford might cancel deal with Red Bull. (unlikely)

Max to Mercedes. (50-50)

Newey to Ferrari. (likely)

Oh, and the FIA president is being investigated for cheating - not quite as bad as the Abu Dhabi fiasco, but involved rescinding a penalty to Alonso that had initially dropped him out of a podium spot.

If the racing is non-competitive, at least they had the good sense to extend silly season beat least a few weeks.

Max to Mercedes. (50-50)

Oh, and the FIA president is being investigated for cheating - not quite as bad as the Abu Dhabi fiasco, but involved rescinding a penalty to Alonso that had initially dropped him out of a podium spot.

If the racing is non-competitive, at least they had the good sense to extend silly season beat least a few weeks.
So many rumors…but yet I’ve seen nothing. Nothing on Twitter nothing on Reddit. I feel like if Horner did something it would be out by now. Don’t you think?

This just seems absurd. What is Jos doing? Max is literally on top of the world right now in his sport, bow out and let your son be the best.

Max to Mercedes. (50-50)

So many rumors…but yet I’ve seen nothing. Nothing on Twitter nothing on Reddit. I feel like if Horner did something it would be out by now. Don’t you think?

This just seems absurd. What is Jos doing? Max is literally on top of the world right now in his sport, bow out and let your son be the best.
Depends on the rumors - but I think its possible that Jos is looking out for the best long-term solution for Max.

Whatever Horner did, or did not do, is secondary to the internal fighting at Red Bull - involving Verstapens and Horner - and Helmut Marko. There are also rumors that the new Red Bull engine is behind on its benchmarks compared to Mercedes and Ferrari. There is still time to catch-up, but if the Verstappens think Red Bull dominance will fall off the cliff in 2026 - the time to move is now (2025) - before Mercedes fill their vacant seat. It would mean a bumper new contract for Max - exceeding Hamilton's deal at Ferrari - and presumably a better car in 2026.

Add to that Newey potentially going to Ferrari - and car development at Red Bull looks a little scarier if you are Max.

As for why Max wants Horner out - again, more rumors, but the rumor is Max has an out clause in his contract if there is a new Team Principal... (apparently such a clause is common throughout the paddock.)

Personally, I hope Max goes to Mercedes - just to see the contortions people will go through to support Max/Mercedes - given most Mercedes fans dislike Red Bull and Max over the Abu Dhabi incident (among other things), and I suspect most Max fans have the same level of disdain towards Mercedes.

Should be interesting!

(On a personal level - I have been a fan of Hamilton, but I could see my allegiance shift to Papaya next season - but I would be happy if there is a healthy competition amongst several teams at the top - so more turmoil is better, I think).

Max to Mercedes. (50-50)
Really? I'd put that at almost 0% no?

If Newey leaves for Ferrari, and the engine rumors are true - Red Bull is going to sink like a rock in 2026 - when new regs and new engines come out.

My guess is - if those are true - that is what is driving Max to consider his future at Red Bull. I just don't know how true those things are though - hence 50-50. I do know that this Horner stuff feels like a distraction - from the underlying issues at Red Bull.

So, if you think Red Bull is in trouble, long-term - then a driver like Max would want to be at Mercedes or Ferrari. But, only one of those cars has an open seat...

The other dynamic at play is the power struggle behind the scenes at Red Bull itself. The energy drink company ran effectively for years with founder Dietrich Mateschitz operating as a minority owner with 51% of the company controlled by the Yoovidhya family from Thailand. Mateschitz' death in 2022 upset the stability of the parent company. The Yoovidhya side of the company reportedly backs Horner while the Mateschitz heirs are aligned behind Dr. Marko.

If Newey leaves for Ferrari, and the engine rumors are true - Red Bull is going to sink like a rock in 2026 - when new regs and new engines come out.

New technical specs are always an opportunity for some shakeup in the order of things. But I think you're exaggerating when you say Red Bull will sink like a rock if Newey leaves.

Newey is a genius and has the resume to prove it but RBR has a deep technical organization. Newey is 65 so I would think there's already been succession planning if he leaves for whatever reason. I don't put much stock in the rumors involving Ford. Their involvement is largely a badging exercise; the development is done by Red Bull Powertrains in Milton Keynes.

New technical specs are always an opportunity for some shakeup in the order of things. But I think you're exaggerating when you say Red Bull will sink like a rock if Newey leaves.

Newey is a genius and has the resume to prove it but RBR has a deep technical organization. Newey is 65 so I would think there's already been succession planning if he leaves for whatever reason. I don't put much stock in the rumors involving Ford. Their involvement is largely a badging exercise; the development is done by Red Bull Powertrains in Milton Keynes.

Right but its the engine itself - not Fords involvement - that is apparently lagging behind Mercedes and Ferrari.

If the engine is sub-par, then even the customer teams of Mercedes and Ferrari are likely to be better than Red Bull. If I am recalling correctly, Honda has applied to be an engine supplier in 2026 - so, maybe they can get back involved and re-take over the RB power unit facilities in Milton Keynes.

Again - something is driving Jos to want to push Horner out, and given his own history, I doubt Jos is concerned about morals and scruples. The most logical reason - is concern about the future car development - and given that Red Bull are going to dominate this season and next - I think its the 2026 car that is worrying the Verstappens.

It was a big risk for Red Bull to take on engine manufacturing - and they are the reason why the F1 engines have been largely static - with no development from the other teams - given that Red Bull would not have had the expertise and facilities to keep up this last couple of years - hence putting them at a disadvantage.

Right but its the engine itself - not Fords involvement - that is apparently lagging behind Mercedes and Ferrari.

If the engine is sub-par, then even the customer teams of Mercedes and Ferrari are likely to be better than Red Bull. If I am recalling correctly, Honda has applied to be an engine supplier in 2026 - so, maybe they can get back involved and re-take over the RB power unit facilities in Milton Keynes.

It's all speculation about who will have the best power unit two years from now, except that Renault will probably be bringing up the rear.

Red Bull Powertrains has been very successful since 2021. They dealt with some reliability issues early in 2023 but they've arguably had the best PU for the current tech cycle. A lot of modern PU development is in software; the mechanical aspects of forging pistons and camshafts has been commoditized because the hardware specs are so prescriptive nowadays.

Honda is going to supply Aston Martin starting in 2026. I have more faith in RB Powertrains putting together a race winning PU in 2026 than in Honda getting it right the first time.

I thought Honda is still supplying RB until next season - they got back involved after initially walking away.

Given the lockout on engine development - I think Honda had to continue to provide the engines - albeit with no new advancements (like the other manufacturers)

ETA - this is from wiki: "The RBPTH001 was, despite its name, developed, produced, and maintained by Honda."

And: " McLaren CEO Zak Brown said at Suzuka that because Red Bull has essentially stopped developing its 2023 car, the fact that the next car may be even better is scary.

Honda's latest news will not cheer him up.

We cannot improve anything in terms of power and performance, said Honda Racing Corporation president Koji Watanabe at Suzuka.

But we can still make progress in other areas with this engine,he told De Telegraaf."

Red Bull doesn't tell us anything about their engine, Watanabe explains, "and we don't tell them anything about our development either.

There is already a kind of information war going on right now, he added when asked about 2026. "Until 2025, I hope Red Bull wins everything.

Last edited:
I thought Honda is still supplying RB until next season - they got back involved after initially walking away.

Given the lockout on engine development - I think Honda had to continue to provide the engines - albeit with no new advancements (like the other manufacturers)

ETA - this is from wiki: "The RBPTH001 was, despite its name, developed, produced, and maintained by Honda."

And: " McLaren CEO Zak Brown said at Suzuka that because Red Bull has essentially stopped developing its 2023 car, the fact that the next car may be even better is scary.

Honda's latest news will not cheer him up.

We cannot improve anything in terms of power and performance, said Honda Racing Corporation president Koji Watanabe at Suzuka.

But we can still make progress in other areas with this engine,he told De Telegraaf."

Red Bull doesn't tell us anything about their engine, Watanabe explains, "and we don't tell them anything about our development either.

There is already a kind of information war going on right now, he added when asked about 2026. "Until 2025, I hope Red Bull wins everything.

Although it's nominally a collaborative effort, Honda's current involvement is a badging exercise. I think those quotes were to help Honda save face on their home turf at Suzuka. With Honda planning to get back into the sport in 2026, I'm sure there are firewalls on top of firewalls to keep proprietary data within Milton Keynes.

Honda has repeatedly shown the worst timing when it comes to entering and exiting the sport, although some of that was because of global economic factors. They pulled in the late 60s because they weren't competitive. They were McLaren's engine supplier during the Prost/Senna era but withdrew in 1992. They came back less than a decade later with the ill-fated BAR team only to leave again right before their successors Brawn GP won both titles in 2009. Again they returned with the McLaren fiasco of the mid 2010s. Just when the tide turned and Red Bull-Honda became a winning package, they announced they were leaving only to have to pay Red Bull to badge the engines that they initially developed.

They have a lot of engineering talent at Honda but their corporate culture is sometimes antithetical to success in F1. Even the Honda Moto GP teams have been a mess in recent years. They're also reportedly considering entering NASCAR as well.

Maybe - but with the engine freeze in place - I don't think Red Bull Powertrains are doing any engine development work towards the current engine.

Those are Honda engines, designs, technology, etc.

The freeze was put in place specifically because Red Bull did not have the infrastructure in place to develop its own engine prior to the 2026 changes.

I don't know if it even has a 1% effect on racing issues, but I think Honda/Acura is about to have a giant recall on Civics and Integras over an expensive steering defect issue.

I'll say it again, I just don't get the love for this sport. It's boring.

There are plenty of other threads :shrug:
I hear you, but my daughter loves F1 and I'm trying to learn more about it so I can share that with her.
She will get upset when Max passes for the lead on lap 4 and I'm like "there is a lot of racing left".
But then I am proven wrong because literally nothing else happens the rest of the race. Zero passing.

I watch it and don't get it, lol. It's still better than neckcar.
While NASCAR has greatly declined from the golden years, it's still far more entertaining than F1.
Two weeks ago there were three cars within .001 of each other to finish 1, 2, 3.

In F1 Max wins by 35 minutes every weekend.

NASCAR is like the NFL, everyone is supposed to be average and equal. That in and of itself is boring. Those races aren’t close because of race quality imo, it’s because the cars are too similar.

I have no issue watching greatness with Max. Rather follow that than just a lump of shoeboxes going ‘round. Imo

Last edited:
I watch it and don't get it, lol. It's still better than neckcar.
While NASCAR has greatly declined from the golden years, it's still far more entertaining than F1.
Two weeks ago there were three cars within .001 of each other to finish 1, 2, 3.

In F1 Max wins by 35 minutes every weekend.
My issue is driving in circles. I'll take go carts on a road track over ovals.

I have also been in attendance at drag, Moto, F1, Indy, and Nascar Races in the mid 90's. Nascar, even in person, was the most boring. Indy in a circle was kinda bad, but the acceleration was nuts.

NASCAR is like the NFL, everyone is supposed to be average and equal. That in and of itself is boring. Those races aren’t close because of race quality imo, it’s because the cars are too similar.

I have no issue watching greatness with Max. Rather follow that than just a lump of shoeboxes going ‘round. Imo
This. I love the technical aspect of it. Mercedes is beating everyone's doors off for 8 years? Well, figure out a way to redesign/change your car to narrow the gap. It's a continual chase, even if the results aren't immediate. Different concepts, designs, upgrades throughout the season, etc...bring it on. Part of the reason it's satisfying to watch Red Bull have their success now is because they were behind Mercedes for so long. Good on them for not only catching Mercedes, but utterly obliterating the field the past couple of seasons. They earned it.

And I love to see guys dominate. I want to see the best ever. When Tiger Woods was unbeatable, I wanted him to win every Major. There's plenty of other battles and storyline going on throughout the rest of the field and in the paddock to keep it interesting to me.

Highlights of 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - was the 2nd to last race of the season - great battle between Hamilton and Max

Jeddah is a unique track with lots of high speed sections through a concrete canyon of barriers. The track surface isn't high deg like Bahrain so the race shapes up like a one-stopper except for the variable of safety cars.

It's still early in the season but supposedly this circuit is well suited to the McLarens. Verstappen had mechanical problems during qualifying last year and started from P15. He finished P2 behind Perez so don't get your hopes up too much.

Users who are viewing this thread