What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Elden Ring Thread - Tips, Tricks, Builds... Calling it now - 2022's Game of the Year. (1 Viewer)

How far are you now?
Level 68. Pretty much a straight mage build putting my points into intelligence 42 mind 30  vigor 19 and endurance 15 That's why I choose Lhutel to tank while I pepper from a distance.  Using the Meteorite staff been collecting smiting stones but saving them since you can't upgrade that staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 45.  Just starting Raya Lucaria Academy.

I had a bunch of somber smithing stones and nothing in particular to do with them, so I boosted my crystal sword up to +3.  It now does just a little less damage than my greatsword +6 with far better speed but less reach and less stagger.  Not sure if I'll stick with this or not because I prefer slower, heavier weapons, but the DPS is pretty fantastic.

Based on reading this thread and various videos I've seen, it's pretty obvious that I've missed out on some summons and talismans.  I should probably go looking for them, but I really like dungeon crawling and that stuff will all be there later.  For the time being, I'm not going out of my way to level up but I've farmed a bit for gear and equipment -- things like buying spells, those little imp keys, and stuff like that.  I also have two merchants that will sell me smithing stones (1) and (2) so there's some pressure off that one. 

Have my mage setup nicely now. Spells

Glintstone Pebble, Carian Greatsword, Carian Slicer, Rock Sling, Loretta's Greatbow and Magic Glintblade. Wonderous Physick mix I'm using Intelligence-knot Crystal Tear and Opaline Bubble tear. My weapons  are The Meteorite Staff and The Lazuli Glintstone Sword. My main spirit is Lhutel the Headless.

Have my mage setup nicely now. Spells

Glintstone Pebble, Carian Greatsword, Carian Slicer, Rock Sling, Loretta's Greatbow and Magic Glintblade. Wonderous Physick mix I'm using Intelligence-knot Crystal Tear and Opaline Bubble tear. My weapons  are The Meteorite Staff and The Lazuli Glintstone Sword. My main spirit is Lhutel the Headless.
These are on my list of things to track down.  My physick is sort of pointless at the moment.

Edit: I see now that the Opaline tear is in an area I haven't gotten to yet.  I'm going to hold off on that one for a while and just roll with what I've got.  Gotta save something for later.  (Seriously, I'm really enjoying exploring the various parts of the world blind-ish.)

As someone who occasionally turns down the difficulty in games because I’ve got limited time to play and a low tolerance for beating my head against a wall, I had no plans to purchase this game. But this thread and the internet hype convinced me to give it a try. And man is it fun.

I’ll admit that I’m using youtube videos to help me figure things out because I have almost no idea what anything does or how the world works. But it’s great fun trying to progress and find new things. The ability to go and do something else when a particular boss or cave or whatever is stomping on me makes the frustration manageable. I don’t have much time sunk it to it yet so I’m sure some real frustration awaits as I get farther in, but so far so good.

As someone who occasionally turns down the difficulty in games because I’ve got limited time to play and a low tolerance for beating my head against a wall, I had no plans to purchase this game. But this thread and the internet hype convinced me to give it a try. And man is it fun.

I’ll admit that I’m using youtube videos to help me figure things out because I have almost no idea what anything does or how the world works. But it’s great fun trying to progress and find new things. The ability to go and do something else when a particular boss or cave or whatever is stomping on me makes the frustration manageable. I don’t have much time sunk it to it yet so I’m sure some real frustration awaits as I get farther in, but so far so good.
I'm strongly of the opinion that these games (FromSoft games) are intended to be played with a guide or wiki page open someplace off to the side.  They're intentionally opaque because they know that people can always just look stuff up on the internet if they get stuck.  Not that you need my permission or anything, but definitely feel free to look at the wiki and YT videos and don't be afraid to go off on little suicide runs into distant lands if there's a spell or weapon or something that you want to pick up.  

I'm strongly of the opinion that these games (FromSoft games) are intended to be played with a guide or wiki page open someplace off to the side.  They're intentionally opaque because they know that people can always just look stuff up on the internet if they get stuck.  Not that you need my permission or anything, but definitely feel free to look at the wiki and YT videos and don't be afraid to go off on little suicide runs into distant lands if there's a spell or weapon or something that you want to pick up.  

The bolded took me a little getting used to in the previous games, but it's a big part of the game now. Running past high level guys, getting that one weapon / armor set / upgrade piece / etc, then dying because you have no hope of winning... totally fine. Just don't do it with a ton of souls/runes on you, and you're good. 

The bolded took me a little getting used to in the previous games, but it's a big part of the game now. Running past high level guys, getting that one weapon / armor set / upgrade piece / etc, then dying because you have no hope of winning... totally fine. Just don't do it with a ton of souls/runes on you, and you're good. 
Exactly. All of this.

Took out the Horse boss from the starting area with Loretta's Greatbow. Pretty satisfying to eliminate him. 
I love how the very first enemy you see in the entire game is a guy you have to come back to 25 in-game hours later to have a reasonable shot at.  These games rock.  :lmao:

IvanKaramazov said:
These are on my list of things to track down.  My physick is sort of pointless at the moment.

Edit: I see now that the Opaline tear is in an area I haven't gotten to yet.  I'm going to hold off on that one for a while and just roll with what I've got.  Gotta save something for later.  (Seriously, I'm really enjoying exploring the various parts of the world blind-ish.)
Okay, screw this.  It occurred to me that I'm still rolling with +2 flasks which seems suboptimal when an HP flask doesn't come terribly close to topping me off from death's door.  So I went looking for sacred tears, which took me to Weeping Peninsula, so I might as well grab that that tear for my Physick while I'm at it.  Got it, and I got the INT tear too, and now I feel quite a bit leveled up.  That INT tear is worth 10 points of INT!  When you're only at INT=26, that's freaking huge.  

I might need to farm a Lazuli glintstone sword.  I don't really like regular swords, but the DPS on the crystal sword is crazy, and the Lazuil sword will let me pop on glintstone phalanx.  

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Anyone beat Starscourge Radahn yet?   I had to cheese him.   When you beat him it opens up another crazy area.......

Anyone beat Starscourge Radahn yet?   I had to cheese him.   When you beat him it opens up another crazy area.......
I've tried 4 times now, not much success. Looked into chessing him but will need to gain 6 more levels to use it. Saw a guy doing it with the greatbow, kind of the same strategy as the rotten breath but using the Greatbow from distance so I might try that a few times. Looking at his bars he's probably higher then me.

I've tried 4 times now, not much success. Looked into chessing him but will need to gain 6 more levels to use it. Saw a guy doing it with the greatbow, kind of the same strategy as the rotten breath but using the Greatbow from distance so I might try that a few times. Looking at his bars he's probably higher then me.

As a melee I had little choice but to use the rot breath.  Great boss though.  A range I could see taking him out.  As long as you keep those npcs on his ###

As a melee I had little choice but to use the rot breath.  Great boss though.  A range I could see taking him out.  As long as you keep those npcs on his ###
I got a talisman to raise my faith will need to farm 3 levels to raise my arcane. 

In Greyolls Dragonbarrow by the grace point outside Fort Faroth is a sleeping dragon (look up what to do) easier to kill with a weapon with bleed effects but can done without bleed. Gives 75,000 runes and 5 dragon hearts.

In Greyolls Dragonbarrow by the grace point outside Fort Faroth is a sleeping dragon (look up what to do) easier to kill with a weapon with bleed effects but can done without bleed. Gives 75,000 runes and 5 dragon hearts.
I'm guessing he won't resspawn?

Also inside fort faroth is one of the best talismans in the game.   Drop in from the roof.   Raises all your stats

I might need to farm a Lazuli glintstone sword.  
This took over an hour of killing one guy over and over again.  I leveled up twice in the process (now at level 47).  JFC.

I was getting "pure bladestone" vibes for a while there, for those of you who were Demon's Souls veterans.

This took over an hour of killing one guy over and over again.  I leveled up twice in the process (now at level 47).  JFC.

I was getting "pure bladestone" vibes for a while there, for those of you who were Demon's Souls veterans.
SOUNDS LIKE FUN!@#!@#!@  :oldunsure:

SOUNDS LIKE FUN!@#!@#!@  :oldunsure:
I know, but there's something charming about Souls games this way.  Every one of them has rare drops like this that you aren't going to get unless you farm for them.  When you just say that to people in plain English, it sounds like bad game design.  Kind of like not having a pause button or not having a quest log.  But for some reason, it just works in these titles.  Of course this game is going to have semi-random stuff walled off behind a tiny number of unique enemies with a 2% drop rate.  That's the From Software way.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
For people who didn't play Demon's Souls, there was a trophy for maxing out each type of weapon -- roughly speaking, fire weapons, magic weapons, strength weapons, dex weapons, faith weapons, etc.  You had to get this trophy to platinum the game. 

Sounds easy.  Except that getting a dex weapon to +10 required a material called pure bladestone.  Pure bladestone was dropped by exactly two enemies in the entire game, who showed up in different levels nowhere near each other.  Each of them only ever appeared in pure black world tendency (which the game never really even tried to explain), and they each dropped this item about 1% of the time.  If you wanted this, all you could do was get your world tendency to pure black, spawn into a particular spawn point, run backwards from there through the previous level, which would eventually allow you to backstab one of the guys that made this rare drop.  You would do this over and over and over again, until he finally dropped the thing you were hoping for.  For hours at a time.  That was an intentional decision made by a human being on purpose.  But it was just part of the Demon's Souls experience, kind of like getting invaded by a jerk who shreds all your equipment with acid weapons that he went out of his way to acquire for that specific purpose.  

I found the morning star. D scaling with Dex and bleed damage. You just have to kill a giant with a few smaller enemies around. 

So the morning star currently has bleed damage…

If I add - forgive me, I’m terrible with names and they’re always changing them for no reason in these titles… If I add say the magic damage modifier thingy to the morning star- will it remove the bleed damage in favor of the newly applied magic? 

Does adding the magic modifier thingy increase the INT scaling?

When you just say that to people in plain English, it sounds like bad game design. 

I pop into this thread once in a while because this game sounds awesome and I'm honestly happy you guys are enjoying it. A year or two from now if it's on sale for $10 I'll probably give it a shot. But having tried Demon's Souls and being told that, yeah, you basically do just have to keep doing the same level over and over again until you level up enough to advance - it's just bad design to me. Nothing fun about it. 

Maybe Elden Ring is better because it's open world, so you can level up in a variety of different environments or something. I just don't think I'll ever enjoy something like this:

You would do this over and over and over again, until he finally dropped the thing you were hoping for.  For hours at a time.  That was an intentional decision made by a human being on purpose.  

:shrug:  

I wasnt going to get the game because I'm not that good at harder games and never played a Souls game, but went ahead last week and bought it.

I'm Level 71 Mage now. I'm awful at the game but got Comet Azur and it's helped me out a lot. I'm better against bosses than freaking dogs running around. Haha. I've have to build up Vigor because I put everything in Int.

Ive cheesed some stuff, but happy overall. Now to beat Radahn  Lord help me.

Ignoratio Elenchi said:
I pop into this thread once in a while because this game sounds awesome and I'm honestly happy you guys are enjoying it. A year or two from now if it's on sale for $10 I'll probably give it a shot. But having tried Demon's Souls and being told that, yeah, you basically do just have to keep doing the same level over and over again until you level up enough to advance - it's just bad design to me. Nothing fun about it. 

Maybe Elden Ring is better because it's open world, so you can level up in a variety of different environments or something. I just don't think I'll ever enjoy something like this:

:shrug:  
This game is a new world in terms of doing whatever you want. I enjoy it far more than Demons Souls which is extremely tough and linear. 

This is a fantastic Open World RPG that is filled with deep mystery, dread and darkness. And yes it is hard.....but you don’t have to fight everything you come across.....being on horseback allows you to roam the lands and grind up/level up. 

The combat is really a strong part of this game for me too. Very satisfying once you learn and understand how to parry, block and counter attack as well as for me....sneak like a ninja and get in deadly sneak attacks. 

I can easily see myself playing this again with a pure mage build. 

Right now I am a Ninja Samurai with an appetite for destruction incantations. It has been a blast. Level 50 right now and just now starting to crawl dungeons.

Totally lost in The Lands Between. I will pour 100’s of hours into this one. It has been a revelation for me.

I played easily 300 plus hours of Skyrim......this is a totally different ballgame.  

Yep.  I'm doing a mage build, and I'll already taking mental notes for how I want to do my strength build during my next playthrough.

I've been doing the Samurai / spellsword, but am leaning more towards spell than sword at this point. Next time through I will definitely be a heavy armor wearing knight / strength build.

note: just figured out that two-handing while on horseback switches to the off-hand weapon. Nice.

Ignoratio Elenchi said:

You ever play a Mario / Castlevania side-scrolling platform game when you were a kid? And you died during the level and went back to the beginning to do it again, but this time with the knowledge of what's there? And you make it a little further each time, and it's fun because of that? And once you can do it, it's almost a shock that it was so hard? 

The FromSoft games are a completely different type of game, but they do share some of that same basic idea.  That feeling of "ok, let me at it again - I can do this". 

Also, you never have to do the same thing over and over unless you are intentionally farming. This one is totally open world, so just move on to somewhere else if an area is giving you trouble. And even the old souls titles had plenty of different paths to take.

You ever play a Mario / Castlevania side-scrolling platform game when you were a kid? And you died during the level and went back to the beginning to do it again, but this time with the knowledge of what's there? And you make it a little further each time, and it's fun because of that? And once you can do it, it's almost a shock that it was so hard? 

The FromSoft games are a completely different type of game, but they do share some of that same basic idea. 

Also, you never have to do the same thing over and over unless you are intentionally farming. This one is totally open world, so just move on to somewhere else if an area is giving you trouble. And even the old souls titles had plenty of different paths to take.
My problem with the Souls games was more there was nothing to explain anything.  I can't remember exactly but it was like what is summoning actually doing?  That was one of my biggest gripes, I had zero clue what anything meant,. And to this day when I played Bloodborne I'm still not sure what most of the stuff was

Beat the Academy.  I was able to get the boss down to about 1/3 of her health, but that fight is really not designed for my build at all, and it's long and kind of annoying, so I summoned another player and murdered her.  When I played Bloodborne for the first time, I was super-committed to soloing every boss.  I ain't got time for that in Elden Ring.

Beat the Academy.  I was able to get the boss down to about 1/3 of her health, but that fight is really not designed for my build at all, and it's long and kind of annoying, so I summoned another player and murdered her.  When I played Bloodborne for the first time, I was super-committed to soloing every boss.  I ain't got time for that in Elden Ring.

Winning is all that matters

I'm curious to hear how you mages handle some of the bosses coming your way
Don't get hit, but when your trapped in a small space it's easier said then done but good spirits help. If I keep the boss focused on a spirit I can take then down easier then some of those I have to fight to get to the boss. Melee as a mage isn't a good thing.

Don't get hit, but when your trapped in a small space it's easier said then done but good spirits help. If I keep the boss focused on a spirit I can take then down easier then some of those I have to fight to get to the boss. 

Cool I think I may try one my next time through.  I guess new game plus you have to use the same character?

Really so far the only boss to cause me much trouble is Starscourge Radahn. Been to busy to play the past few days so only tried him once with rotten breath. That time I messed up by rushing into soon after he resets at half health and he got me. I'm pretty sure I'll get him soon since I can get by his attacks with his greatbow at the beginning. 

Cool I think I may try one my next time through.  I guess new game plus you have to use the same character?
Also wanted to add getting better spells are a necessary.  Having Rock Sling and Loretta's Greatbow helps alot. There are a couple of more I need to get. Started adding some incantations the one heal is good to have. 

Drop in from the roof
I'll need to look that up. I can't get by the vampire things in the first room they just gang up on me and the place is to congested for Rock Sling. I originally went there for the talisman but noticed the Dragon with help from reading a few of those information stones. Figured he must be something. 

I'll need to look that up. I can't get by the vampire things in the first room they just gang up on me and the place is to congested for Rock Sling. I originally went there for the talisman but noticed the Dragon with help from reading a few of those information stones. Figured he must be something. 

Yeah that place sucks

Almost as bad as the abandoned mine where you get the scarab

Also wanted to add getting better spells are a necessary.  Having Rock Sling and Loretta's Greatbow helps alot. There are a couple of more I need to get. Started adding some incantations the one heal is good to have. 
These are my go-to spells at this point in the game.  Especially Rock Sling, which is great against bosses and mini-bosses.  I'm really only using Glintstone Pebble as a utility spell to pull enemies and pick off guys who are awkwardly placed.  Nearly all regular enemies just get the sword.

As soon as you guys can I recommend the Mimic Tear summon.  You can't get it until you beat rahdan but I would start trying rahdan as soon as you beat 2 of the big bosses.   

Mimic Tear creates a replica npc of your self that fights on his own.  Same weapons same level.   He's pretty awesome.  Even heals himself.   He's helped me take down some guys I had no chance against.   Only downside is it takes some health to create.  

Users who are viewing this thread