What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Dune movie by Denis Villeneuve thread **UPDATE- Dune 1 back on IMAX! Part 2 release March 1! (1 Viewer)

The first time I saw the movie ( a year ago, maybe?) I knew little about Dune. All I knew is that it was based on novels by Frank Herbert (I never read them, but used to put them away all the time when I worked in libraries) and that George Lucas allegedly ripped off several of the ideas for Star Wars.

Movie was so good, though.
Same. I knew about the books- it sat on my dad's shelf as a kid and he recommended it so I knew it was sci-fi, desert something. Like Lord of the Rings which he tried to sell me on, I just didn't dig reading sci-fi. My expectations were low for the movie. Villeneuve is an incredibly talented director but some of his stuff is too weird for me. Watched it Thanksgiving weekend on HBO Max. I was surprised by how much I liked it. Saw it at the theaters a couple weeks later and that hooked me. I followed the plot better and obviously it's best seen on the big screen. Since then I've probably watched 4 or 5 times. I will just throw it on HBO Max while doing laundry, working out, doing school work, etc.

The Dune books are really good. I may have read a couple of the sequels, but I can't remember the deets. I personally enjoy the Wheel of Time books a little more, but that series has been awful so far. The first Dune movie was very good imo. Probably seen it ten times. Along with the Man From Uncle, it's my go to when I'm bored.

The Dune books are really good. I may have read a couple of the sequels, but I can't remember the deets. I personally enjoy the Wheel of Time books a little more, but that series has been awful so far. The first Dune movie was very good imo. Probably seen it ten times. Along with the Man From Uncle, it's my go to when I'm bored.
Loved the first one and was bummed to miss it in the theaters. Not this time.

Just caught a few minutes of the first one on TV a couple nights back and thought it looked fantastic. Really hoping some theaters may do a small run of the first one before the next comes out and I want to try and catch it.

Just caught a few minutes of the first one on TV a couple nights back and thought it looked fantastic. Really hoping some theaters may do a small run of the first one before the next comes out and I want to try and catch it.
Basically same guy who did the second blade runner. Visuals are stunning, and from watcvhing Blade runner I knew it would be nice.

Basically same guy who did the second blade runner. Visuals are stunning, and from watcvhing Blade runner I knew it would be nice.
Dune 1 & 2, Bladerunner 2049, Arrival, Sicario.

Dude is on a roll.

Dude is on a roll.
Prisoners is great too. Also, would highly recommend his early film Incendies (it’s in French). It‘a damn near his best movie. Enemy was his only miss for me.

Dude is on a roll.
Prisoners is great too. Also, would highly recommend his early film Incendies (it’s in French). It‘a damn near his best movie. Enemy was his only miss for me.
He has become my current “must see” anything he does director. Love his movies.

Dude is on a roll.
What else?

Dude is on a roll.
What else?
See the movies in the couple posts above. He’s got like 7 great movies

Dude is on a roll.
What else?
Haven't seen Arrival. I assume aliens? Any good?

Dude is on a roll.
What else?
Very good. Sicario is real sick- it's an FBI Special Task Force operating to take out a drug cartel. Tons of great action and suspense.

Yes Arrival is great.

All of his movies have the same very distinct tone. Slow, suspenseful, cinematic. He lets the scenes breathe.

Dude is on a roll.
What else?
Very good. Sicario is real sick- it's an FBI Special Task Force operating to take out a drug cartel. Tons of great action and suspense.
That I have seen a bunch. I never enjoy it, but it's well done I guess.

Yes Arrival is great.

All of his movies have the same very distinct tone. Slow, suspenseful, cinematic. He lets the scenes breathe.
Just watched arrival and realized I saw it when it came out. It was aight. When is Dune 2 out, I need that now.

I tried the first two Dune books after watching the movie. They reminded me a lot of the Ender’s Game series in terms of quality; the first book is great and very compelling but the second one was awful. Didn’t make it to the rest of the series.

First one just started on TNT!!!

Now you can watch it on tv with the commercials, just like everybody else.

"You can't tape Rich Man Poor Man. You gotta watch it on TV with the commercials and everything, just like everybody else!"
-Beautiful Girls

Last edited:
actually stumbled across the original movie on TV the other day. I get that it was 40 years ago.....but man is that a cheezy ridiculous film. I'm sure the effects were good for the time and you give them credit for taking on an ambitious project, but I couldn't stop laughing at the entire spectacle of it. Just absurdity.

"WAIT FOR MY BROTHER, BARON!!!!" :lol:

I'm hoping they re-release Part 1 into theaters again in advance off part 2. The pandemic robbed us off a great experience.
Hmmmm. I think I saw Part 1 at IMAX.
Well, I mean to say it didn't get the theatrical run it deserved. It was released to theaters but at the same time it went to HBO Max.

I think I might even go to a double feature.

I'm hoping they re-release Part 1 into theaters again in advance off part 2. The pandemic robbed us off a great experience.
Same, I saw it in the theater in Nov or Dec of the year it came out but would loooove to see it again. They are kind of dumb if they don't release the original like a month before.

They might be the best sci fi films ever. Not sure what I would put above them.... and it's my favorite genre. I've pretty much seen all of the good Sci Fi's 20 times.

Same, I saw it in the theater in Nov or Dec of the year it came out but would loooove to see it again. They are kind of dumb if they don't release the original like a month before.

I really want to see part 1 in IMAX.
It’s amazing, def worth it if you get the chance

Users who are viewing this thread