What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

How much do you realistically have to spend on gear to star out? Do you HAVE to carry that faggy little bag around or can I just use a grocery bag?
$7.99
#######it. I'm drunk, and I wound up ordering 3 discs after posting that link. Stupid internet.P.S. two of them were Blizzard discs.

PS2. Discgolfcenter rules

P.P.S. I love you internet, I did not mean it.

ETA seriously, I've been watching a Merle Haggard concert for two hours now :bag:
Nice... discgolfcenter does rule. I bought a few discs from there.Im taking my medication and listening to coast to coast am.

:tinfoilhat:

I don't think I can make it to little Pinchot Tuesday... travelling for work. I definitely want to go out for a league night. Maybe Sunday.

I watched the American Country Music Awards earlier... not quite Merle Haggard but.

Love the game. playing about 1.5 times a week right now. Trying to get that to a consistent 2x a week.

Bag is an Ebay Cooler/radio deal for like $10 that used to hook up to an iPod until it broke. I don't get paying for the $20+ bags. Just walk into a Rite-Aide/CVs/Whatever and grab a cheap beach cooler with a strap for $8. Same ####.

In the bag:

All drivers except one are max weight champions

Groove (my furthest driver)

Sidewinder (probably my oldest disc and it shows)

Wraith

Roadrunner

Boss (just got it used and can't do anything with it right now)

Orc

Valkyrie

Firebird(pretty much hate this disc, but sometimes comes in handy)

Leopard (regular plastic and 164. Only use it for very specific shots)

Some old mid ranger that came in a bundle that goes pretty straight

Stingray

Pro Aviar

Rhino

Really want to get a Blizzard, but can't decide on which one to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played 27 holes at Creekside Thursday.

Friday played 18 at Red Land HS. Course was empty. School was out for Good Friday. Played 18 at Little Pinchot Friday also.

Played the front 9 at Akron Saturday and quit after 9. I was tired and sore (im old) and it was windy as hell all weekend. No good scores to report but got a lot of holes in. It was a good weekend.

Wind makes disc golf hard!

Wind makes disc golf hard!
Understatement of the year. :)That's the funny thing about people who don't play. They think DG is basically heading out to the park with your FRISBEE and your dog. They've never thought about trying to hit a 35-40 foot put into a 15+ MPH headwind. Nor do they think about needing to throw a disc longer than a football field into said wind...sometimes with mere feet left/right or up/down to spare 200 feet off the tee.I love it. Next to my wife and girls, I'm not sure I love anything more (than disc golf) on the planet! It's darned near a spiritual experience...out in nature, launching the perfect anhyzer or S-curve 300+ feet away. JUST hitting the alley/window you needed to hit to leave yourself less than 15 feet for deuce. If you made me choose between never playing disc golf again or completely giving up sex, sign me up for the monestary I guess. :) Guys who don't play...don't REALLY play, won't understand.

Beat my personal record at my regular park last week. Was a +2. Now an even. pretty proud of that.

You guys ever use the DGcoursereview.com website to track your scores? Not to compare Johnsons with other players, but simply to track your own performance. I've been recording every round I've played for almost three years now...and it really helps me to see how I'm progressing (or regressing) on certain types of holes/shots, with certain types of playing conditions.

I look at it like a bit of "community service" too...as it gives other guys a better idea of the types of scores being posted on the courses I like to frequent. Plus as a person who dabbles in course design as well, I really love the ability to evaluate data and see which holes are proving to be the easiest/hardest on various courses (and why). It's fun to see how different holes/courses play differently at different times of the year, and especially with different wind directions and velocities.

Like on my home course. If we've got an E/NE breeze? It's time to make that course my #####...running everything hot off the tee! Whereas if we've got a 15-20+ MPH S/SW wind (very common out there)? It's hold on for dear life and be happy with a -3 or -4. Tracking scores religiously has helped me to become a better player! And if I know I've got to go home and enter that score on a computer that others will be able to see? I take every shot and (especially) every putt very seriously.

Disc golf is the best. I have been playing for about 4 years now and trying to get out a couple times a week. I'm pretty lucky that where I live we have about 15 courses within about a half hour drive for me.

I have an Innova bag I picked up at Walmart or some place like that for like $25 a few years ago. Holds about 10 discs in between dividers and has several pockets. Great investment. Always carry my disc Golden Retriever with me also, lots of water around where I play.

In my bag I have:

Champion Sidewinder

Champion Starfire

Westside King

Discraft Buzz-z

Star Valkerie

Gateway Super Stupid Soft Putter

I have about 20 more that either stink or I slip back into the rotation sometimes.

I see some of you have gotten the new Blizzards. I got a 154g Boss and can't help but go left almost every throw. My buddy got a 144g Wraith and I can throw it straight every time. Not sure what the deal is but my Blizzard Boss just blows.

I got a 154g Boss and can't help but go left almost every throw. My buddy got a 144g Wraith and I can throw it straight every time. Not sure what the deal is but my Blizzard Boss just blows.
The Boss might just require too much speed/power for you to throw at this point. (?) http://www.discsunlimited.net/descriptions/innova_descriptions/innova_flight_ratings_info.htmlGotta have a very strong, fluid release and a good snap/flick with your hand/wrist to get the Boss to do what you need it to do off the tee. The Wraith essentially has the same flight characteristics as the Boss, only you don't have to throw it quite so fast (or with quite so much power) to get it to do what you want it to do.

How are you on your throwing distance off the tee, as well as accuracy? What's the distance on the tee you are generally confident you can throw it accurately...within ~30 feet of where you were hoping it would land? I'm almost wondering if a couple Innova discs like the Teebird and the Leopard would be good for you too, the DX plastic. The Teebird for throwing drives straight as an arrow without much turn/fade, and the Leopard when you need to throw a good anhyzer off the tee. The DX gets dinged up more quickly, but only costs ~$8/pop...and they actually fly pretty good beaten in! Just a thought.

I got a 154g Boss and can't help but go left almost every throw. My buddy got a 144g Wraith and I can throw it straight every time. Not sure what the deal is but my Blizzard Boss just blows.
The Boss might just require too much speed/power for you to throw at this point. (?) http://www.discsunlimited.net/descriptions/innova_descriptions/innova_flight_ratings_info.htmlGotta have a very strong, fluid release and a good snap/flick with your hand/wrist to get the Boss to do what you need it to do off the tee. The Wraith essentially has the same flight characteristics as the Boss, only you don't have to throw it quite so fast (or with quite so much power) to get it to do what you want it to do.

How are you on your throwing distance off the tee, as well as accuracy? What's the distance on the tee you are generally confident you can throw it accurately...within ~30 feet of where you were hoping it would land? I'm almost wondering if a couple Innova discs like the Teebird and the Leopard would be good for you too, the DX plastic. The Teebird for throwing drives straight as an arrow without much turn/fade, and the Leopard when you need to throw a good anhyzer off the tee. The DX gets dinged up more quickly, but only costs ~$8/pop...and they actually fly pretty good beaten in! Just a thought.
I'm pretty solid at driving. I usually throw the Westside King off the tee (14 speed) and can get it to land just about anywhere I want. That and my Champion Sidewinder are very accurate. I wanna blame the Blizzard Boss on the much lower wight (154g) but like I said I tossed my freinds 144g Blizzard Wraith a few times with no problem. And I used to have a 175g Pro Boss a few years ago and tossed that pretty good as well. Not sure what the deal is with this thing but I wish I got the Wraith.I love Teebirds. I had a yellow one (old yeller) that I used as my disc to take chances with around water or any other hazard with. I did this for about 2 years and lost it on the super thin ice of a lake here in the warm winter a few months ago. :cry:

ETA seriously, I've been watching a Merle Haggard concert for two hours now :bag:
:lmao: How did I miss this? My kid got to see him live last week at Buck's place (he works there). The Hag was leaving the bathroom before the show and my boy said "Good luck tonight". Merle told him "thank you, sir".

What's a good mid-range/approach disc for forehand shots? Looking for something that won't turn over.

What's a good mid-range/approach disc for forehand shots? Looking for something that won't turn over.
I don't throw a lot of midrange side flick shots. The guys that I know that almost always throw side flick still like the Innova Roc.

You guys ever use the DGcoursereview.com website to track your scores? Not to compare Johnsons with other players, but simply to track your own performance. I've been recording every round I've played for almost three years now...and it really helps me to see how I'm progressing (or regressing) on certain types of holes/shots, with certain types of playing conditions.

I look at it like a bit of "community service" too...as it gives other guys a better idea of the types of scores being posted on the courses I like to frequent. Plus as a person who dabbles in course design as well, I really love the ability to evaluate data and see which holes are proving to be the easiest/hardest on various courses (and why). It's fun to see how different holes/courses play differently at different times of the year, and especially with different wind directions and velocities.

Like on my home course. If we've got an E/NE breeze? It's time to make that course my #####...running everything hot off the tee! Whereas if we've got a 15-20+ MPH S/SW wind (very common out there)? It's hold on for dear life and be happy with a -3 or -4. Tracking scores religiously has helped me to become a better player! And if I know I've got to go home and enter that score on a computer that others will be able to see? I take every shot and (especially) every putt very seriously.
I use Easy Scorecard for Android and just plug my score in as I play. Check it out if you've never used it. :thumbup:

I had my best round in a while last week, shot a +2 at Eastway in Charlotte. Could have been a +1 except I missed about the easiest birdie putt on hole 3 that I've ever missed, after an awesome drive. Probably made a dozen putts longer than it the rest of the day. :wall:

Also played at Kilborne (+6)... missed a lot of putts that round, could have been much better.

Loving the weather lately.

Playing Saturday for the first time this year. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will post pics of my setup and "what's in the bag" later.

:banned:

gator, spider.wind is your friend. going to play one of the oldest courses in the northwest today. built in the late 70's. trees with faded paint.

I live outside of Charlotte and have dozens of great courses to play at. MVP Ion Proton Medium 172g Innova Rhyno Champion 175gGateway Warlock Soft 175g Discraft Zone Pro D 172g Discraft Stratus Elite-X 164g MVP Vector Proton 174g MVP Axis Proton 178g Discraft Stalker Elite-Z 168g Innova Banshee DX 171g Innova Firebird Champion 171g Innova (SL) Star 172g Innova Wraith Star 171g
My daughter lives with my ex wife in Charlotte. I go down there to visit sometimes. I might be contacting you for some advice on those courses. In fact, I'd like to try and get my daughter into it. She is only 11 so you never know what they are going to take to. I figured I give it a shot.
feel free to contact me.

Played 2 rounds at little Pinchot Friday. Had a good 2nd round score going but did bad on the back 9 resulting in a +12. I made a lot of pars, but my bad holes were double bogeys.

I slacked off and fished the rest of the weekend but then got a few rounds in early this week.

Played Creekside Monday. I wasn't feeling that great, and didn't really keep track of my score. Just went out for fun, exercise, and something to do. It never fails, I always throw a disc in the creek at this course. I threw one in the creek on hole 2 or 3. It was my favorite mid range disc, the Buzz-z. It wasn't too far in the water so I took off my shoes and socks and went in after it.

I was still feeling under the weather when a friend called me Tuesday to play. We went to a newer course in the area, Coyote Hills in Carlisle. It was a very difficult course to play for the first time. A lot of blind shots. Course is very tight in some areas. I was reading disc golf course review and a lot of the reviews mentioned a need for walking bridges over a creek that runs through the course. Well, the bridges are built and they are very nice. I was really impressed with the course when keeping in mind how new it is. There is still some work to do on the course, but for being less then a year old (I believe) it is a very nice course. A lot of tight wooded holes, but a few open holes mixed in. A great addition to the central PA disc golf courses.

After playing Coyote Hills I went home and felt really sick. My allergies started getting to me Monday night at Creekside, and I had flu like symptoms Tuesday night. Im feeling better today, but I'm probably off until the weekend.

Without too much thought I say I'm a +6 handicap. Shot a +4 yesterday and a +8 today. Hate the 8, but it is what it is. Had some really bad shots today and a couple double bogeys which are always terrible.

My buddies and I have been playing since college, good 10-15 years of play and we are all still terrible but enjoy getting out of the house. I bring my kids with as well and they really enjoy it. Most people you run into are pretty friendly. Its a good time. It also helps that we live about two blocks from a fun little 9 hole par 3 that upu can rip through in about 45 minutes (sunnyside for those in the twin cities area).

I've been throwing a Puma for the last few years. Not sure where I picked it up but its been my go to. Just started throwing a midrange (Wolf) but not sure how much I like it.

I need a lesson or something. I can't seem to break the ~300 ft mark. I'm a big lanky guy, I should be getting more distance imo.

Without too much thought I say I'm a +6 handicap. Shot a +4 yesterday and a +8 today. Hate the 8, but it is what it is. Had some really bad shots today and a couple double bogeys which are always terrible.
When you're figuring your handicap, are you doing it using 3 as par on every hole, or are you using whatever the posted par is on the tee signage?I ask because a lot of rec-course signage sets par at a level that your average (middle of the road quality) recreational player might be able to shoot. I remember playing Mound Creek County Park here in SW Minnesota several years ago...and thinking I was big man on campus when I could shoot "-4" (32 on 9 holes, on a course marked with par as 36). Thought I was finally ready to play in my first competitive tournament and shot ~31-32 on the first nine holes again...only to learn that in competitive play, guys play with par as 3. Regardless of whatever the posted par for the hole is. And I got my healthy dose of come-uppins. Finishing about 25-27 shots behind the leaders on 36 holes. :)Now 6-7 years later, I'm shooting 23-24 on that same course. Even hung a few 20s on one of the hardest nine-holers here in Southern Minnesota! Par on those courses is posted at 36. But when you play it as pro-par 3 (27, or 54, for 18 holes), it really changes the way you play the game. It FORCES you to get better...in a hurry. Even if the hole is 500+ feet long, you play it as a par-3. Get it as long and accurate off the tee as you can, stick your 150-250 foot approach shot, and sink your putt. Or you'll give up at least one shot to your competition at the tournament (80+ percent of whom will put a 3 on the card). Then on holes you can reach off the tee, stick those shots, and make all your deuce putts inside of 25 feet, and about 80-90% of your deuce putts inside of 35. If you can't, you're not ready for the top two cards of even Intermediate play at tournaments (it goes Open, Advanced, Intermediate, Recreational related to level of competition).

I need a lesson or something. I can't seem to break the ~300 ft mark. I'm a big lanky guy, I should be getting more distance imo.
I've learned that being a bigger guy can help with distance...but it isn't an absolute. I used to play with a guy that was 5'7 and 145 at the most and looked like John Denver. Dude could chuck it. It's all about technique IMO.When I first learned how to play I didn't have much D at all. I just went out and practiced as much as possible. I had the luxury of having an entire middle school track/soccer field to work with. I'm still not bombing it but for a while I was out-throwing almost everyone in my age group and skill level. One of the things I discovered was that D really needs to start from the feet up. Correct foot plant, legs turn, hips turn, torso turns, arm/disc whips forward. Now that I think about it I have no idea how I improved my distance. Carry on.

What disc(s) are you using on the tee? Both the type (i.e. Innova Star Wraith), and the weight (i.e. 170 grams). Also, do you throw backhand, or forehand?It's different for everybody, but for me, I didn't crack 300 feet off the tee until I did the following things:1. Improve my footwork and balance. Most guys who are good at the game use a three-step X-step off the tee. When I was still learning the X-step, I would take too big of strides, which slowed down my momentum and would often have me a little out of balance as I approached my release point. I think shorter steps...CONSISTENT, shorter steps (the same three-step motion, every time) gives you better balance. And better balance will lead to increased consistency. And increased consistency? That gives you confidence...and confidence is half the battle. :)2. Develop a very firm "power grip" on my drivers. I used to let my discs slide around a little bit in my hands in the midst of my throwing motion, and that caused all sorts of problems. Once I went to more of a vice-grip on my disc (where you could sneak up on me and slap the disc in my hand hard...and it won't be knocked out of my hand), it helped me immensely.3. Keeping the disc tight across my chest as I release the disc (as a backhand player). I tease my daughter that you want to just miss "those things under your bra" as you rip the disc across your chest. I'm talking within a half-inch or so of your nipples...every time. Ripping the disc TIGHT across your chest will force your forearm and hand into more of a "snapping" motion as you release the disc...and that extra little "snap" will add speed to your release. And speed, when combined with the right disc and the proper form, equals distance.4. Choosing the right disc for the job. If I've got a tailwind, I'm throwing my biggest drivers (R-Pro Katana and Star Boss) at 165 grams. If I've got a headwind? I'm throwing 170-175 grams...either the Star Katana or a Star Wraith. Or the 172 gram DX Teebird. And if I've got no wind? I'm throwing the 150 gram Star Boss. Try and throw the 150 gram Boss into a headwind or strong crosswind, and welcome to O.B. :) And throw a 174-175 gram Wraith with a tailwind or no wind? And you're putting/approaching from 35-40+ feet further away for no good reason.I'm still an Intermediate level player (with a Recreational rating...since I've probably played all of 5-6 sanctioned rounds in the past 3-4 years) who throws the occasional Advanced-caliber round. I'm nowhere NEAR "pro" (Open) level play! So take my advice with that in mind. I'm just saying for me, the above four things helped me go from 270-280 feet off the tee to 330+ consistently, and over 400 feet 2-3 times (accurately, so far) on level ground.

3 disc innova starter set on sale at Big 5 Sporting Goods this week ($20), might have to pick one up and learn how to play

What disc(s) are you using on the tee? Both the type (i.e. Innova Star Wraith), and the weight (i.e. 170 grams). Also, do you throw backhand, or forehand?It's different for everybody, but for me, I didn't crack 300 feet off the tee until I did the following things:1. Improve my footwork and balance. Most guys who are good at the game use a three-step X-step off the tee. When I was still learning the X-step, I would take too big of strides, which slowed down my momentum and would often have me a little out of balance as I approached my release point. I think shorter steps...CONSISTENT, shorter steps (the same three-step motion, every time) gives you better balance. And better balance will lead to increased consistency. And increased consistency? That gives you confidence...and confidence is half the battle. :)2. Develop a very firm "power grip" on my drivers. I used to let my discs slide around a little bit in my hands in the midst of my throwing motion, and that caused all sorts of problems. Once I went to more of a vice-grip on my disc (where you could sneak up on me and slap the disc in my hand hard...and it won't be knocked out of my hand), it helped me immensely.3. Keeping the disc tight across my chest as I release the disc (as a backhand player). I tease my daughter that you want to just miss "those things under your bra" as you rip the disc across your chest. I'm talking within a half-inch or so of your nipples...every time. Ripping the disc TIGHT across your chest will force your forearm and hand into more of a "snapping" motion as you release the disc...and that extra little "snap" will add speed to your release. And speed, when combined with the right disc and the proper form, equals distance.4. Choosing the right disc for the job. If I've got a tailwind, I'm throwing my biggest drivers (R-Pro Katana and Star Boss) at 165 grams. If I've got a headwind? I'm throwing 170-175 grams...either the Star Katana or a Star Wraith. Or the 172 gram DX Teebird. And if I've got no wind? I'm throwing the 150 gram Star Boss. Try and throw the 150 gram Boss into a headwind or strong crosswind, and welcome to O.B. :) And throw a 174-175 gram Wraith with a tailwind or no wind? And you're putting/approaching from 35-40+ feet further away for no good reason.I'm still an Intermediate level player (with a Recreational rating...since I've probably played all of 5-6 sanctioned rounds in the past 3-4 years) who throws the occasional Advanced-caliber round. I'm nowhere NEAR "pro" (Open) level play! So take my advice with that in mind. I'm just saying for me, the above four things helped me go from 270-280 feet off the tee to 330+ consistently, and over 400 feet 2-3 times (accurately, so far) on level ground.
BackhandDX Leopard 155 for open field w/ wind & big annysDX Leopard 168ishDX Valkrie 170ishDX Tbird 170ishChamp Tbird 170ish for big hyzersI own a Champ Monarch but haven't really thrown it yet. Haven't really thrown any higher speed drivers.Thanks for the tips.

When you're figuring your handicap, are you doing it using 3 as par on every hole, or are you using whatever the posted par is on the tee signage?I ask because a lot of rec-course signage sets par at a level that your average (middle of the road quality) recreational player might be able to shoot. I remember playing Mound Creek County Park here in SW Minnesota several years ago...and thinking I was big man on campus when I could shoot "-4" (32 on 9 holes, on a course marked with par as 36). Thought I was finally ready to play in my first competitive tournament and shot ~31-32 on the first nine holes again...only to learn that in competitive play, guys play with par as 3. Regardless of whatever the posted par for the hole is. And I got my healthy dose of come-uppins. Finishing about 25-27 shots behind the leaders on 36 holes. :)Now 6-7 years later, I'm shooting 23-24 on that same course. Even hung a few 20s on one of the hardest nine-holers here in Southern Minnesota! Par on those courses is posted at 36. But when you play it as pro-par 3 (27, or 54, for 18 holes), it really changes the way you play the game. It FORCES you to get better...in a hurry. Even if the hole is 500+ feet long, you play it as a par-3. Get it as long and accurate off the tee as you can, stick your 150-250 foot approach shot, and sink your putt. Or you'll give up at least one shot to your competition at the tournament (80+ percent of whom will put a 3 on the card). Then on holes you can reach off the tee, stick those shots, and make all your deuce putts inside of 25 feet, and about 80-90% of your deuce putts inside of 35. If you can't, you're not ready for the top two cards of even Intermediate play at tournaments (it goes Open, Advanced, Intermediate, Recreational related to level of competition).
I've been playing everything as a par 3 on my local course. If I'm playing with people who don't play often I'll do par 4s when the sign says Amateur 4. When I played Goat Hill I used the signs. Some of those are 800+. Par 5 for me, thank you. I'm not ready for that course yet. Still shot a +12 on it.

'Worm said:
BackhandDX Leopard 155 for open field w/ wind & big annysDX Leopard 168ishDX Valkrie 170ishDX Tbird 170ishChamp Tbird 170ish for big hyzersI own a Champ Monarch but haven't really thrown it yet. Haven't really thrown any higher speed drivers.Thanks for the tips.
Good info. Of those discs you throw off the tee, which one would you say is your go-to disc when you can choose any flight path (hyzer, anhyzer, or dead-straight)? The one you feel the absolute most comfortable with...if wind/footing/whatever were not a factor? The disc you'd throw if you've gotta have the best tee shot you're capable of on a sudden-death playoff hole...playing that one ##### from your local club you absolutely HATE for all the glory/cash? :)I kind of started out with a lot of those same discs you listed. Then as I got the speed of my release up, the Star Wraith became that $$$ disc for me. What I'd throw when I had to have that one PERFECT tee shot when the pressure was on! That's not to say that it would work for you...but for 2-3 years, that disc was IT for me. It's weird though...as the faster my speeds have gotten and the better my form, the less I can rely upon the Wraith in my bag. Basically, all it's good for now is if I need to throw something very fast, very heavy (175g) and very low into a headwind. And even then, it's often got a lot of hyzer at the end of its flight! But it might be a disc to experiment with if you feel like you've gotten as much as you can out of the discs in your bag.Off-topic, but I just picked up a 137g Blizzard Katana and a 132g Blizzard TeeDevil this afternoon. Haven't gotten to throw them yet (struggling with a hip injury at the moment), but I'm very anxious to see how they compare to my 165g R-Pro Katana and my 150g Star Boss.

'Sebowski said:
When you're figuring your handicap, are you doing it using 3 as par on every hole, or are you using whatever the posted par is on the tee signage?I ask because a lot of rec-course signage sets par at a level that your average (middle of the road quality) recreational player might be able to shoot. I remember playing Mound Creek County Park here in SW Minnesota several years ago...and thinking I was big man on campus when I could shoot "-4" (32 on 9 holes, on a course marked with par as 36). Thought I was finally ready to play in my first competitive tournament and shot ~31-32 on the first nine holes again...only to learn that in competitive play, guys play with par as 3. Regardless of whatever the posted par for the hole is. And I got my healthy dose of come-uppins. Finishing about 25-27 shots behind the leaders on 36 holes. :)

Now 6-7 years later, I'm shooting 23-24 on that same course. Even hung a few 20s on one of the hardest nine-holers here in Southern Minnesota! Par on those courses is posted at 36. But when you play it as pro-par 3 (27, or 54, for 18 holes), it really changes the way you play the game. It FORCES you to get better...in a hurry. Even if the hole is 500+ feet long, you play it as a par-3. Get it as long and accurate off the tee as you can, stick your 150-250 foot approach shot, and sink your putt. Or you'll give up at least one shot to your competition at the tournament (80+ percent of whom will put a 3 on the card). Then on holes you can reach off the tee, stick those shots, and make all your deuce putts inside of 25 feet, and about 80-90% of your deuce putts inside of 35. If you can't, you're not ready for the top two cards of even Intermediate play at tournaments (it goes Open, Advanced, Intermediate, Recreational related to level of competition).
I've been playing everything as a par 3 on my local course. If I'm playing with people who don't play often I'll do par 4s when the sign says Amateur 4. When I played Goat Hill I used the signs. Some of those are 800+. Par 5 for me, thank you. I'm not ready for that course yet. Still shot a +12 on it.
800+ feet? Whew. I think (hope) I could make mostly 4s on that type of hole. Probably 330 (tee shot #1), 330 ("tee shot" #2, lol), ~150-225 foot approach, and a ~20 foot putt. I don't know of many players who would be hanging more than the occasional 3 on that type of monster though.

'Worm said:
Good info. Of those discs you throw off the tee, which one would you say is your go-to disc when you can choose any flight path (hyzer, anhyzer, or dead-straight)? The one you feel the absolute most comfortable with...if wind/footing/whatever were not a factor? The disc you'd throw if you've gotta have the best tee shot you're capable of on a sudden-death playoff hole...playing that one ##### from your local club you absolutely HATE for all the glory/cash? :)I kind of started out with a lot of those same discs you listed. Then as I got the speed of my release up, the Star Wraith became that $$$ disc for me. What I'd throw when I had to have that one PERFECT tee shot when the pressure was on! That's not to say that it would work for you...but for 2-3 years, that disc was IT for me. It's weird though...as the faster my speeds have gotten and the better my form, the less I can rely upon the Wraith in my bag. Basically, all it's good for now is if I need to throw something very fast, very heavy (175g) and very low into a headwind. And even then, it's often got a lot of hyzer at the end of its flight! But it might be a disc to experiment with if you feel like you've gotten as much as you can out of the discs in your bag.Off-topic, but I just picked up a 137g Blizzard Katana and a 132g Blizzard TeeDevil this afternoon. Haven't gotten to throw them yet (struggling with a hip injury at the moment), but I'm very anxious to see how they compare to my 165g R-Pro Katana and my 150g Star Boss.
The 155 DX leopard is the goto disc, assuming an open hole with no wind or slightly at my back. I can get usually get a really nice flight out if it... start it anny with good glide, coming back just a little at the end.For narrower holes I like my DX tbird.

'Jutz]There is a tee off area for hole 18 said:
It's still there... Straight up the hill toward the road to the right of the tennis courts.

20-40mph winds = Not my best day one the course. Good to get out, tho.
Yep...windy here in SW Minnesota too. On top of that, I've got this nagging, lingering hip injury that just won't seem to go away. Crawled my way to 27-27-26-26 (-2 on 36 holes)...on a course where I should be shooting 24 or 23 each round. Frustrating, yet it was still good to get out and play. Rest hasn't really seemed to help my injury, so I'm just trying to play/fight through the pain.

Just got back from playing at the 9 holer by my house. Out of the blue the weather turned warm/hot this morning. 96 by 1pm. Now I'm used to playing in hotter conditions but not this early in the year. Feh.

'Jutz]There is a tee off area for hole 18 said:
It's still there... Straight up the hill toward the road to the right of the tennis courts.
Thanks... I did find it the last time I played. 2 rounds at little Pinchot Friday but didn't get out the rest of the weekend Allergies are killing me. So bad I went to the doctor. I'm kinda glad it rained this weekend.

If anyone is in the Nashville area and is up for a last minute cornhole, I'm playing Seven Oaks in about an hour. PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread