What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dez Bryant (1 Viewer)

The MMQB's Albert Breet confirms Dez Bryant suffered a torn Achilles at Friday's practice.

He's done for the year. Getting injured this late means Bryant is in danger of missing the start of 2019. It's a potential career ender for Dez after going unsigned until Week 10. The Saints visited with multiple receivers last week and may look to bring in another veteran behinf Michael Thomas and Tre'Quan Smith.
Brutal...

Last edited by a moderator:
do we need a 3rd Dez thread to report this same info?

(so, Joe Bryant, I don't agree with your idea of having more, specific threads on the same player. duplicates the same info and dilutes the conversation)

Does being in good or bad shape have anything to do with tearing your achilles? Thought it was just a freak accident that could happen to anyone no matter what shape they were in. 
It seems at least possible that it wouldn't have happened had he participated throughout camp, preseason, and the regular season, since that would have meant specific stretching on a daily basis, specific post-practice/game routines, etc. He certainly could have done all that on his own, but it seems possible, if not likely, that he didn't.

LOL at the amateur pros in here talking about how smart he was not to sign the BAL deal. He might not have seen the end of that deal if his decline in play carried over to BAL, but he would have made at least the $7M for this season, and maybe more. His career is probably over at this point, and he'll never be able to make up for that $7M+ he left on the table.

So what are the chances he makes it back? How big a dyno league do you need to be in for him to be worth holding onto? Obviously it’s a tough injury and he’s not 22 anymore, but Sherman is back and playing reasonably well (if not as dominant as he was before) at around the same age, having had the injury at around the same time last year.

He’s a polarizing player so I’m sure there will be plenty of folks eager to say he’s done because it fits their narrative. He may well be, but I’m trying to separate the signal from that noise.

It seems at least possible that it wouldn't have happened had he participated throughout camp, preseason, and the regular season, since that would have meant specific stretching on a daily basis, specific post-practice/game routines, etc. He certainly could have done all that on his own, but it seems possible, if not likely, that he didn't.

LOL at the amateur pros in here talking about how smart he was not to sign the BAL deal. He might not have seen the end of that deal if his decline in play carried over to BAL, but he would have made at least the $7M for this season, and maybe more. His career is probably over at this point, and he'll never be able to make up for that $7M+ he left on the table.
It's a fatigue injury.  More likely when out of shape

It's a fatigue injury.  More likely when out of shape
It is an injury for which a common cause is a sudden increase in workout intensity, which may be what you are getting at. The single best practice to prevent it for serious athletes is stretching properly with appropriate frequency, which is what I was getting at.

It is an injury for which a common cause is a sudden increase in workout intensity, which may be what you are getting at. The single best practice to prevent it for serious athletes is stretching properly with appropriate frequency, which is what I was getting at.
As I said, it's more common when out of shape.  Regarding Dez he is obviously in good shape, but also obviously not good enough shape for what he needs to be doing.  Hence, increased risk of Achilles tear or rupture 

The Frankman said:
Yeah, being in or out of shape really isn't a huge factor in this.
It’s about the definition. Being “in shape” is usually considered physically fit, musculature in nature. 

But conditioning is a factor - that has to do with how your body handles exertion. Stretching & stressing muscles & tendons.

It’s possible that Dez lacked that conditioning from his time away. Or he overdid it. Either could be a cause for a tendon tear.

regardless, at his age/size it bodes I’ll for his career.  At least speed isn’t his game, so he’s got a chance. 

Dez Bryant (Achilles') shared a video of himself running routes.

The video can be seen in the link below. It's been nearly six months to the day since Bryant initially tore his Achilles' in practice with the Saints, a timetable that puts him ahead of schedule for training camp. The 30-year-old hasn't garnered much interest this offseason given his injury, but perhaps evidence of his health lands him back in New Orleans this summer. He turns 31 in November.

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

, New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Instagram

May 6, 2019, 5:47 PM ET

Dez Bryant posts first route on his comeback trail

Dez Bryant said he's "going to be trying to get back in the league" in mid-October.

A shoe-in as New Orleans' slot receiver before frustratingly tearing his Achilles' in his first practice with the Saints, Bryant's since been seen running routes and ferociously training with receivers coach David Robinson. Bryant also told Slater he's feeling "way better than before" nearly 10 months since he first suffered the agonizing injury. It's possible the Saints bring him back given their lack of depth at the position.

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

, New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Jane Slater on TwItter

Aug 31, 2019, 8:31 PM ET

I guess he wanted a few more weeks of rest!

Dez Bryant said he plans on reaching out to NFL teams in two weeks about a potential return.

Bryant says he's "feeling good" and is confident that he can contribute to an NFL team. It's unclear if he'll actually receive interest from NFL teams, but we've seen crazier things happen. Bryant tore his Achilles' after signing with the Saints late in 2018, so he'll have to prove that he still has some explosion to his game.

If his injury was anything but an Achilles, I'd say he's worth a look.  But his skills were already declining and Achilles injuries are hard to recover 100% from even for young athletes in their prime.

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones said free agent Dez Bryant has texted him about a potential return to Dallas.

Bryant spent last year out of the league following a 2018 Achilles tear. The 31-year-old has been angling at a comeback for quite some time, though interest in the veteran has been scarce to this point. "We have nothing but great respect for Dez and what he accomplished here," said Jones. "Certainly, as we look forward into the future we look at all opportunities and all potential players that could maybe help us out." Perhaps someone will take a chance on Dez as a camp flyer, though his days of being an NFL difference-maker are likely over.

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

SOURCE: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Feb 7, 2020, 10:04 AM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Ravens are expected to host free agent Dez Bryant for a workout.

Bryant has been out of the league since tearing his Achilles' tendon with the Saints last year. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has unsurprisingly shown interest in bringing the 31-year-old free agent back to Dallas, but he'll first workout to potentially become a veteran presence among Baltimore's developing core. Bryant would undoubtedly fit as a big-bodied red zone threat across from Marquise Brown's blistering speed.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Aug 17, 2020, 1:54 PM ET

Josina Anderson reports the Ravens could sign free agent WR Dez Bryant to their practice squad.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Bryant will be signed if he passes a physical. Bryant worked out for the Ravens in late August, while head coach John Harbaugh played coy about the team's flirtations with bringing in the veteran. Bryant has been out of the league since tearing his Achilles' tendon with the Saints last year. He could be a decent speculative add in super-deep fantasy leagues. So far this year, Baltimore's offense can barely support one fantasy-relevant pass catcher. 

RELATED: 

Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Oct 22, 2020, 11:44 AM ET

Anything here? I'm sure most of us assume he's washed (I do), but the dude was a monster in Dallas at his peak, so could he make the active roster and actually return something like low-end WR2 numbers?

Rapoport has the timing of Bryant's Achilles' injury wrong -- it actually happened in November 2018. Bryant was not signed to any team in 2019. Furthermore, he hasn't played an NFL game since December 2017.

Bryant, physically, is totally done. He'll never be able to plant and cut sharply on that Achilles again.

I can't think of any case ever where a football player has sat out that long and came back to be a legitimate, usable fantasy player. Could be someone I'm overlooking, just can't think of anyone.

I just dropped a defense in dynasty and picked him up. Do I expect anything to come of this? No I do not. But in the cursed year of 2020, I imagine just about anything is possible. 

Users who are viewing this thread