What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*OFFICIAL* Dexter McCluster (1 Viewer)

azgroover

Footballguy
Anyone else on board? This kid amazed me everytime I caught an Ole Miss game and none of the guppies I play with have seem to have even heard of him.

Grabbing him late and hoping for the best. Sleeper ROY candidate IMO.

From Chiefs fan board:

Dexter McCluster show continues

There's no doubt who the 8,000 fans in attendance liked the most: Offensive weapon Dexter McCluster.

He started things off on a poor note dropping a screen pass but from there he lit it up.

The Chiefs did one-on-one drills between the receiver and defensive backs with all three quarterbacks rotating. Most of the routes were deep and perhaps the catch of the night was an over-the-shoulder grab from McCluster. Brodie Croyle floated a beautiful pass from the 50 yard line that landed in McCluster's outstretched arms inside the ten. Just a great, great play from both sides.

In the same drill, McCluster lined up against Brandon Flowers. He juked to the right as if he was going long then cut back inside on a slant route and caught the ball in stride. Flowers barely caught a hand on him tripping him up.

That wasn't it though. Towards the end of practice, Matt Cassel hit McCluster running full speed -- I happened to be walking by the fence about 15 yards away and I can't even describe what "full speed" is to McCluster -- right in the arms. Perfect pass. Perfect catch. Six points.

That's the sorta thing that gets you excited about his ability to be a receiver.

But that wasn't all. He also lined up as a running back at one point. On one handoff to the left hand side, he made one cut up field and....poof! In a real game, he would have been in the secondary and, well, the defense is probably in trouble at that point.

As long as the hype doesn't grow too much by the time I draft, I really like him as a late round flier.

Anyone else on board? This kid amazed me everytime I caught an Ole Miss game and none of the guppies I play with have seem to have even heard of him.

From Chiefs fan board:

There's no doubt who the 8,000 fans in attendance liked the most: Offensive weapon Dexter McCluster.

He started things off on a poor note dropping a screen pass but from there he lit it up.

The Chiefs did one-on-one drills between the receiver and defensive backs with all three quarterbacks rotating. Most of the routes were deep and perhaps the catch of the night was an over-the-shoulder grab from McCluster. Brodie Croyle floated a beautiful pass from the 50 yard line that landed in McCluster's outstretched arms inside the ten. Just a great, great play from both sides.

In the same drill, McCluster lined up against Brandon Flowers. He juked to the right as if he was going long then cut back inside on a slant route and caught the ball in stride. Flowers barely caught a hand on him tripping him up.

That wasn't it though. Towards the end of practice, Matt Cassel hit McCluster running full speed -- I happened to be walking by the fence about 15 yards away and I can't even describe what "full speed" is to McCluster -- right in the arms. Perfect pass. Perfect catch. Six points.

That's the sorta thing that gets you excited about his ability to be a receiver.

But that wasn't all. He also lined up as a running back at one point. On one handoff to the left hand side, he made one cut up field and....poof! In a real game, he would have been in the secondary and, well, the defense is probably in trouble at that point.
He is an undersized (5'8", 170 lbs) rookie slot receiver/scat back/returner. His official 40 time was 4.58 at the combine (4.45 at his school's Pro Day). He does have excellent change of direction skills, timing at the top of the 20 yard shuttle. Houston Nutt (college coach) has a reputation of making rbs look really good in college (Fred Talley, Cedric Cobbs, Darren McFadden). I'm not saying he is a bust, but I doubt he has a useful fantasy impact as a rookie. He might be good for a few big plays this year, but also a bunch of games where he does relatively little. I don't think he even has Percy Harvin upside as Harvin is bigger, faster, and plays in a much better offense. In a dynasty or long term keeper he has potential, but I don't see the upside that some seem to think he has.

From Chiefs fan board:

He is an undersized (5'8", 170 lbs) rookie slot receiver/scat back/returner. His official 40 time was 4.58 at the combine (4.45 at his school's Pro Day). He does have excellent change of direction skills, timing at the top of the 20 yard shuttle. Houston Nutt (college coach) has a reputation of making rbs look really good in college (Fred Talley, Cedric Cobbs, Darren McFadden). I'm not saying he is a bust, but I doubt he has a useful fantasy impact as a rookie. He might be good for a few big plays this year, but also a bunch of games where he does relatively little. I don't think he even has Percy Harvin upside as Harvin is bigger, faster, and plays in a much better offense. In a dynasty or long term keeper he has potential, but I don't see the upside that some seem to think he has.
:lmao: :)

No question he's been the star of that camp -- EVERYONE is raving about him. Also no question about his game tape when you watch him simply creaming SEC defenses week in and week out (his numbers vs like-for-like teams >>> Heisman trophy winner's). The question of course is size. And I guess the transition to slot WR/weapon, but I don't think that'll be a problem myself.

Not sure I'll even consider him in non-PPR leagues, but in PPR leagues he could be dynamite.

I'll be watching in preseason for sure, just not sure that offense is good enough (QB play) to see him as anything other than maybe a bye week filler this year.

McCluster has been one of my favorite college players to watch in the past 5-7 years. I don't know if he'll be an NFL talent but I think he could be, his change of direction and overall vision are awesome. I see people scoffing at his 40 time but I know one thing. He was fast in pads against SEC defenses on a weekly basis that stock pile talent into the NFL. I hope he does well, he's awesome.

Like plaid on a cheap suit. He'll routinely be lined up in the slot and there's nobody blocking his opportunities. Assuming Moeaki contributes as the TE and Bowe and Chambers hold up their ends is all the better to clear lanes and keep the secondary honest. The selection of McCluster in spite of other players on the board that the Chiefs needed, there are plans for using him as an every down (non gadget) player. It's a clear shot to see the ball in his hands early and often.

I'm on the bandwagon for sure!! I'm going to make it a point to draft this guy this season, he's going to be amazing for the Chiefs.

KCChiefs.comRemember when WR Dexter McCluster’s shoe exploded during OTAs? Apparently, that was nothing. McCluster has blown out three of his Nike cleats at this training camp alone.

“I’ve got plenty of shoes in there, so I’m not worried about it,” McCluster said.

McCluster was at it again on Thursday, drawing plenty of “ahhhs” from the crowd with his cuts to create space and speed in the open field. He has quickly become a fan-favorite at St. Joseph in the process.

“It’s great to know that I’m coming out here and showing that I am improving every day, but you know what, there hasn’t been a game and you have to do it in the game to get the fans on your side,” McCluster said.

If you’re looking to give Dexter a nickname, he says that people called him, “The Lil’ Water Bug” in college. It seems like Chiefs fans, at least in St. Joe and on KCChiefs.com are sticking with DMC for the time being.

McCluster really is a fun player to watch in practices. Hopefully he’ll be even more entertaining during the regular season

IN.Has he been returning kicks in practice too?
He's been working a little on return duties, I'm getting the feeling J Arenas will be the primary KR/PR.With the Wies offense I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of screens coming the McClusterbomb's way.Note the Arrowhead to the left and you know I'm on board.

KCChiefs.comRemember when WR Dexter McCluster’s shoe exploded during OTAs? Apparently, that was nothing. McCluster has blown out three of his Nike cleats at this training camp alone.

“I’ve got plenty of shoes in there, so I’m not worried about it,” McCluster said.

McCluster was at it again on Thursday, drawing plenty of “ahhhs” from the crowd with his cuts to create space and speed in the open field. He has quickly become a fan-favorite at St. Joseph in the process.

“It’s great to know that I’m coming out here and showing that I am improving every day, but you know what, there hasn’t been a game and you have to do it in the game to get the fans on your side,” McCluster said.

If you’re looking to give Dexter a nickname, he says that people called him, “The Lil’ Water Bug” in college. It seems like Chiefs fans, at least in St. Joe and on KCChiefs.com are sticking with DMC for the time being.

McCluster really is a fun player to watch in practices. Hopefully he’ll be even more entertaining during the regular season
This is the stuff of legends.All that's missing is a clip of him juking a guy right out of their knee like Barry did to Rod Woodson many moons ago.

Like plaid on a cheap suit. He'll routinely be lined up in the slot and there's nobody blocking his opportunities. Assuming Moeaki contributes as the TE and Bowe and Chambers hold up their ends is all the better to clear lanes and keep the secondary honest. The selection of McCluster in spite of other players on the board that the Chiefs needed, there are plans for using him as an every down (non gadget) player. It's a clear shot to see the ball in his hands early and often.
Yep. Good point. Guy could flunk, get injured, whatever, but one thing I have no doubt about is that the Chiefs have BIG plans for the guy. Whether he succeed or not remains to be seen but I think they'll give him every opportunity -- and lots of 'em -- to do so.

He's been working a little on return duties, I'm getting the feeling J Arenas will be the primary KR/PR.With the Wies offense I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of screens coming the McClusterbomb's way.Note the Arrowhead to the left and you know I'm on board.
Ok, thanks. Perhaps a wash fantasy-wise in leagues with returner points, anyway. If they don't want him to be primary returner, that probably means expect a lot out of him on offense.

Ok, thanks. Perhaps a wash fantasy-wise in leagues with returner points, anyway. If they don't want him to be primary returner, that probably means expect a lot out of him on offense.
Yeah, I think he'll be running too many routes and such on offense. Charles took a KR to the house last year but he was simply too critical to the offense to have him back there, even though he was by far the best KR on the team.

Yeah, I think he'll be running too many routes and such on offense. Charles took a KR to the house last year but he was simply too critical to the offense to have him back there, even though he was by far the best KR on the team.
Yep I believe its not due to his lack of return abilities, but as you said, his use as a critical component on the offense. I posted over in the IDP board that Haley (pretty sure it was him, if not, someone in the staff) said that Arenas was 'our defensive version of McCluster'.I was sitting here thinking that perhaps if it turns out that DMC falls into one of those situations where his contributions are better for the offense overall than the stat book, could his presence mean a slight uptick to the value of Charles / Bowe. DMC being on the field with a variety of things he can do could mean one of his contributions to the offense might be as a decoy to draw focus, since you have to respect what he can do when he actually does have the ball. Just thinking out loud....

For return yardage, IDP, dynasty leagues, the Chiefs have 3 very fantasy relevant rookies in McCluster, Berry & Arenas.

McCluster is the most under rated player in FF right now.

McCluster knows football. Coaches love him because he usually learns a new play on paper then goes out and executes the first time. The football knowledge has translated in becoming a camp phenom and again to the grid iron. There is little doubt McCluster will become the featured player for the KC offense utilized liberally as both a runner and receiver. He is also an effective kickoff returner which is a bonus in many leagues. Think Reggie Bush production (fantastic in a PPR league) from a "bench" FF WR on most teams. You won't be able to keep him out of your lineup as a WR3 or Flex.

Do yourself a favor and watch a Chiefs preseason game on NFLN. If you don't come away thinking he's easily the best KC player and often the best player on the field for both teams, then you should go back to watching baseball.

We had our draft last night and Dexter went undrafted. I considered him with my last pick, but grabbed Jacoby Jones instead. My concern is not his talent, but simply how many touches he's going to get.

McCluster is the most under rated player in FF right now. McCluster knows football. Coaches love him because he usually learns a new play on paper then goes out and executes the first time. The football knowledge has translated in becoming a camp phenom and again to the grid iron. There is little doubt McCluster will become the featured player for the KC offense utilized liberally as both a runner and receiver. He is also an effective kickoff returner which is a bonus in many leagues. Think Reggie Bush production (fantastic in a PPR league) from a "bench" FF WR on most teams. You won't be able to keep him out of your lineup as a WR3 or Flex. Do yourself a favor and watch a Chiefs preseason game on NFLN. If you don't come away thinking he's easily the best KC player and often the best player on the field for both teams, then you should go back to watching baseball.
Hope so. I planned on grabbing him for $1 in my auction this morning, but someone else knows obvious talent rather than just the cheat sheet and I had to pay $3 for him.

He was drafted in our league, and I knew I should have taken him earlier. I thought no one else might notice and let him slide until round 16, but I was wrong. Could be a nice WR3 in PPR leagues.

I took him in the last round of a recent draft. It is a return yard league so his value is going to be somewhat dependent on how much they let him return kicks/punts.

Got him in the last round of my draft and for $1 in an auction (both PPR). Plain in simple, this kid is a no risk/huge upside pick in the last round. If he doesn't see the field in the first few weeks of the regualar season, cut him.....however, I've got a feeling he'll be creeping up my fantasy depth chart all season long.

"Haley said that coordinator Charlie Weis would use McCluster on every play if he could. Assistant head coach Maurice Carthon wants to steal him to play running back. Receivers coach Richie Anderson and special-teams coach Steve Hoffman want him, too. "

"My job becomes: ‘OK, the guy can’t play 120 plays in a game,’ ” Haley said. “What can he play? What is the best thing for the team?"

That is some nice praise. Can't say I am on the train yet, but I am keeping a close eye on the train schedule.

With Urban out for the year, how much do we bump up McCluster?

He should be the permanent WR3 and spend more time on the field.

With Urban out for the year, how much do we bump up McCluster? He should be the permanent WR3 and spend more time on the field.
Chiefs fan here.....he's going to see the field a lot....early and often. However, it will be as a returner, receiver and at times running back. I think his upside is somewhat limited by the fact that they have Charles/Jones in the backfield, and Bowe/Chambers at WR. All of those guys will get touches, and this team is going to be run oriented with Cassel at QB. All that said, I do think he'll spend most of his time as the slot receiver. He's shown very good hands, explosive quickness and toughness. I'd still take a Jacoby Jones type ahead of him, but he's somewhere in that area IMO.

So is anyone starting him in PPR/points per carry leagues this week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not starting him, he went undrafted, but once the mess with Leon and Forsett kept going on, I dropped Leon (my last pick) for McCluster (Im also a Charles owner so its a sort of handcuff).

I had my eye on him anyway with the RB/WR eligibility as a sleeper to hold on to this year.

Im on board the bandwagon, but not ready to plug him in the lineup yet.

So is anyone starting him in PPR/points per carry leagues this week?
:confused:Starting him over Carolina Steve Smith.The thinking is that if he sucks, I can just say I wanted to play it safe till I saw Smith play a game with the injured arm.If he does well, I can act all smart.

Users who are viewing this thread