What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (2 Viewers)

YLE's COVID State of Affairs: July 25

As Omicron subvariants sweep the globe, the international death toll started rising for the first time in seven months. Although deaths still remain low, a 39% increase in death toll is noticeable. This increase is mainly driven by Southeast Asia (+20%), followed by the Eastern Mediterranean (+15%) and Americas (+7%).

Hospitalizations have doubled in Europe and no peaks have been seen yet for countries like France, U.K., Greece, or Italy, although hospitalizations do look to be slowing down. Notably, Australia has surpassed their previous Omicron peak for hospitalizations, and many systems are reaching capacity. Japan hospitalizations are also on the rise, which is not a surprise given that they just reported 152,538 new coronavirus cases—the biggest one-day increase on record.

United States

BA.5 was slower to claim dominance in the U.S., but now accounts for 78% of cases. And, like clockwork, once it claimed dominance, wastewater trends went upwards in all regions of the U.S. Interestingly, this uptick may be short lived as wastewater recently slowed and even reversed in some places. Case trends continue to give all sorts of weird signals, but test positivity rates seem to have peaked, too. This could be the top of the wave, which would be a surprising but welcome reprieve.

My eyes have been specifically on the pink line above—the South. With the combination of low booster rates, a heatwave (i.e. people headed inside), little BA.2.12.2 wave, low Paxlovid uptake, and little-to-no testing, severe disease may sneak up, just like we saw with Delta last summer.

On a national level, hospitalization trends continue to steadily increase. And this will continue as hospitalizations lag case trends. More than 43,000 people are in hospitals with COVID-19 on an average day. Notably, many of the acceleration leaders for hospitalizations are in the South: Arkansas, Louisiana (we did it! again! :wall: ), West Virginia, Kentucky, and Georgia.

Although hospitalizations are increasing, we are clearly in a different phase of the pandemic in regards to severe disease:

• Case hospitalization rate continues to decrease over time, especially given dramatic underreporting.
  • ICU admissions—one proxy of severe COVID-19—remains relatively steady, regardless of an increase in hospitalizations overall and a highly transmissible virus sweeping the community.

The rise in hospitalizations is driven by 70+ year olds (see figure below). The hospitalization gap between this group and other age categories continues to widen, too. Unfortunately, even some fully vaccinated groups remain at risk for hospitalization. These groups will continue to remain at high risk until transmission calms down.

On the other side of the spectrum, pediatric hospitalizations remain relatively low compared to adults. But their hospitalization rate just passed the Delta peak, while other age groups are still far below it. This is likely explained by low vaccination rates among children.

something we've been beating the drum for in here for a while....

Operation Nasal Vaccine—Lightning speed to counter COVID-19

To summarize a few key points:

• There is little to no respiratory mucosal immunity from mRNA vaccines in people vs Omicron
  • Nasal vaccines in animal models induce very high levels of neutralizing antibodies vs Omicron
  • There are 12 nasal vaccines in clinical trials and 4 are late-stage, Phase 3 but there is no government plan for manufacturing, distribution or regulatory review as there was for the original vaccines.
  • While only 1 nasal spray vaccine is currently available (FLuMist for influenza) we have already had marked success on a comparative basis against SAR-CoV-2 for vaccine efficacy and an oral antiviral pill (Paxlovid vs Tamiflu). Furthermore, the biology of the SARS-CoV-2 virus makes it a more favorable target than influenza
Apparently this week the White House is having a next-generation summit meeting to ponder plans for a nasal and universal, variant-proof vaccines.

Last edited by a moderator:
(quote from YLE:)

United States

BA.5 was slower to claim dominance in the U.S., but now accounts for 78% of cases. And, like clockwork, once it claimed dominance, wastewater trends went upwards in all regions of the U.S. Interestingly, this uptick may be short lived as wastewater recently slowed and even reversed in some places. Case trends continue to give all sorts of weird signals, but test positivity rates seem to have peaked, too. This could be the top of the wave, which would be a surprising but welcome reprieve.
Probably jumping the gun a bit to say this, but the Worldometers U.S. numbers support what Dr. Jetelina wrote above (esp the bolded).

The weeks of July 4th and July 11th saw a quick jump up from ~110,000 to ~130,000 7-day-avg cases/day. If the trend was continuing upwards, even mildly, the July 18th-19th 7-day case counts should already be over 130,000 right now and then bump up to 140,000-145,000 before Thursday or Friday of this week.

With 6-7 days gone by to allow for most of the adjusting that will be take place, the numbers from 7/18 and 7/19 are stalled at ~129,000. Some more will be added over the next few days, yes, and 7/18 -19 should end up in the low 130,000s. But that wouldn't a continuation of the rate increase seen between 7/4 and 7/13-14 -- it would be a flattening. Exactly what Dr. Jetelina is describing.

Probably jumping the gun a bit to say this, but the Worldometers U.S. numbers support what Dr. Jetelina wrote above (esp the bolded).

The weeks of July 4th and July 11th saw a quick jump up from ~110,000 to ~130,000 7-day-avg cases/day. If the trend was continuing upwards, even mildly, the July 18th-19th 7-day case counts should already be over 130,000 right now and then bump up to 140,000-145,000 before Thursday or Friday of this week.

With 6-7 days gone by to allow for most of the adjusting that will be take place, the numbers from 7/18 and 7/19 are stalled at ~129,000. Some more will be added over the next few days, yes, and 7/18 -19 should end up in the low 130,000s. But that wouldn't a continuation of the rate increase seen between 7/4 and 7/13-14 -- it would be a flattening. Exactly what Dr. Jetelina is describing.
Agreed and our state (and my local) numbers seem to match the pattern as well. Cases and hospitalizations still slightly climbing still but test positivity % has seemed to plateau for the most part. 

• There are 12 nasal vaccines in clinical trials and 4 are late-stage, Phase 3 but there is no government plan for manufacturing, distribution or regulatory review as there was for the original vaccines.
  • While only 1 nasal spray vaccine is currently available (FLuMist for influenza) we have already had marked success on a comparative basis against SAR-CoV-2 for vaccine efficacy and an oral antiviral pill (Paxlovid vs Tamiflu). Furthermore, the biology of the SARS-CoV-2 virus makes it a more favorable target than influenza
Apparently next week the White House is having a next-generation summit meeting to ponder plans for a nasal and universal, variant-proof vaccines.
Man, this has to become a "go" ASAP. Nasal vaccines are going to be a major part of the puzzle going forward -- their release to the public needs to expedited much as the mRNA vaccines were.

Welp, after 2+ years I finally (officially) joined the club.  I was shocked that I hadn't already got it, considering my wife's tested positive twice, parents once and I tend to do all of the "in-person" shopping for the family, not to mention I do go out and socialize.

I won't go into details as to how I likely came down with it, since it'd probably just open me up for a ton of "good job dummy" responses.... but anyways.

Felt a little "off" after a trip last weekend, but attributed to my allergies.  It's what it's felt like.... 100%.  Some off-and-on sinus pressure, very random/mild cough.  But unlike my normal seasonal allergies, I was tired AF.  

Tested negative both Monday and Tuesday of last week.  Finally tested one last time on Thursday and it was positive.  VERY positive (the test line popped almost immediately and was a no-brainer).  Slept a lot of Friday and almost all of Saturday.  Felt WAY better yesterday.  Feeling even better today.  Hoping for a negative test tomorrow (end of 5-day work-mandated quarantine) so I can go back to the office and can love up on my kiddos.  

I'm vaxxed/boosted, and can only imagine how bad it could have been if I was shot-less.  While I would consider the symptoms mild, I was knocked out pretty good for a day-plus and the sinus pressure was fairly bad at times.

Hope everyone's feelin' A-OK out there!

Just saw on WaPo that the second booster for under-50 is on hold now.  They are pushing for a September Omicron shot that includes BA4/5.  Timing seems like that will be an issue . . . .

Just saw on WaPo that the second booster for under-50 is on hold now.  They are pushing for a September Omicron shot that includes BA4/5.  Timing seems like that will be an issue . . . .
@Doug B - this is pretty much why I posted what I did.  Granted once you pull the trigger you can’t go back.  But, hoping for things like this clarified if possible before my next one.

Atlantic reporters clearly using my posts in this thread as an assignment desk, with an article on whether Covid virgins like me might be resistant to the coronavirus.

TLDR: Probably not.

Like most people who remained unscathed until recently, Carrington had done so for two and a half years through a probable combination of vaccination, cautious behavior, socioeconomic privilege, and luck. It’s entirely possible that inborn coronavirus resistance may not even exist—or that it may come with such enormous costs that it’s not worth the protection it theoretically affords.

Atlantic reporters clearly using my posts in this thread as an assignment desk, with an article on whether Covid virgins like me might be resistant to the coronavirus.

TLDR: Probably not.
Yea, I don’t think I have supreme immunity unfortunately. Everyone eventually gets the common cold, but you don’t get it every year. That’s where this ends up eventually. We build immunity through vaccination and exposure and continue to beat down COViD’s dangers. 

also apparently the now infamous Front Line Doctors are promoting ivermectin to help with long covid, with zero evidence that it actually helps, of course  :wall:  

Some fascinating responses in this thread. I get that you never know an individual's situation, but I was genuinely surprised (and a little saddened) at the number of people who say they haven't gotten Covid because, 2.5 years later, they're still basically shut-ins.

As for me, I would say that pre-vax, I definitely attribute my never getting it to being careful, but now that it's been 16 months since my first shot and I still haven't tested positive, I don't know what to think. Maybe I've had some sort of natural immunity from the beginning that I'm not aware of. More likely, I've just gotten lucky. One thing I can tell you is that it definitely isn't due to excessive caution.
I’ve been flying 3 of every 4 weeks since August 2021, mostly spending time in NYC, but also at a number of conferences.  I never wear a mask anymore unless absolutely required — and have yet to test positive for Covid.  I did have some type of illness in December 2021 — have assumed it was Covid — but tested negative 3 times.  It was while visiting my parents over Christmas.  I quarantined on their 2nd floor for 4 days, and nobody else in the family got sick.

Anyway, haven’t exactly been a shut in the past year.  But before getting vaccinated, we were amongst probably the 1-2% most careful people around.  Literally didn’t see anyone or go anywhere indoors unmasked, and frankly rarely went anywhere even with a mask.  I still have zero regrets about how we handled it.

I got my 2nd booster a couple of weeks ago and glad I did.   I heard the Omicron shot will likely be released in October so I'll get that in November.

I’ll defer to others like @Doug B but I didn’t think there was any evidence it spreads like that.
Everything I've seen study wise says: 

1) Yes: Some level of virus can end up on food through resperatory droplets

2) Yes: There are ACE receptors and binding sites in the digestive tract 

3) No: It doesn't seem like it's a particularly viable pathway to infection absent extreme examples (sharing silverware/cups, which would be moronic)

3) No: It doesn't seem like it's a particularly viable pathway to infection absent extreme examples (sharing silverware/cups, which would be moronic)
My wife’s family loves to share beverages with each other. No joke.  I find it disgusting.

It wasn't true at all but putting that aside Delta first arrived in the United States in March 2021 and Biden said this in late July 2021.

The vaccines prevented infection and spread of the initial strain very well.  To the point where we didn't need masks.  The mistake was CDC saying to take off the masks a little too early, but we were down to 12,000 cases per day in July 2021 -- and that was a real number.

I’ll defer to others like @Doug B but I didn’t think there was any evidence it spreads like that.

My understanding is that the effects of sharing food and thus "eating" the virus (as opposed to breathing it in) are difficult to tease apart from just plain old proximity spread -- sitting close together, sharing stale air, etc.

BTW if germs dont spread like that why do you find it disgusting?
For the same reason that I don't want to use your toothbrush.  Chances are the only thing I would get out of it is cleaner teeth.  But that doesn't mean it's not a just little icky.

FatMax said:
For the same reason that I don't want to use your toothbrush.  Chances are the only thing I would get out of it is cleaner teeth.  But that doesn't mean it's not a just little icky.
That's a lot more than a little icky. 

you guys have had sex before right............................................ ;)

FatMax said:
Youd also be sharing partially digested food particles and tartar

Why is it disgusting to you that family members share beverages?
Because we already know that people spread germs that way.  What I didn’t know — since it hasn’t been demonstrated conclusively to my knowledge — is whether or not Covid spreads that way.  In either case, regardless, I don’t want to share beverages with anyone.

Because we already know that people spread germs that way.  What I didn’t know — since it hasn’t been demonstrated conclusively to my knowledge — is whether or not Covid spreads that way.  In either case, regardless, I don’t want to share beverages with anyone.
Why would COVID act any differently?

[icon] said:

It's almost like different viruses behave differently 😱

Because of where Covid typically “sits” in the human body?   I’m not a medical expert, so I don’t pretend to know.   It was literally just a question — if it can be spread via shared food, I’m just a curious guy and interested to know that.

Wife finally tested positive for the first time through all this.  Wrecked her Sunday and yesterday.  Better today.  Vaxxed and boosted.  Still haven’t tested positive myself.  

It's not so much COVID acting differently from other viruses. It's more of a statistical thing. COVID exploits ACE 2 receptors in the body, which are present in many tissues. However, those receptors aren't present equally in all those various tissues. ACE 2 receptors are especially dense in the nasal passages, upper bronchial passages, the alveoli in the lungs, and in the small intestine. In contrast, ACE 2 receptors are more spread out and less dense in the oral cavity, esophagus, and stomach.

RIP, Lab Leak Hypothesis?

The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan was the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic:

Abstract

Understanding how severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) emerged in 2019 is critical to preventing zoonotic outbreaks before they become the next pandemic. The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, China, was identified as a likely source of cases in early reports but later this conclusion became controversial. We show the earliest known COVID-19 cases from December 2019, including those without reported direct links, were geographically centered on this market. We report that live SARS-CoV-2 susceptible mammals were sold at the market in late 2019 and, within the market, SARS-CoV-2-positive environmental samples were spatially associated with vendors selling live mammals. While there is insufficient evidence to define upstream events, and exact circumstances remain obscure, our analyses indicate that the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 occurred via the live wildlife trade in China, and show that the Huanan market was the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic.

I think this is essentially the same conclusion the investigative reporter came to last fall/winter I believe it was (I posted it here but can't remember when or what it was called to search it lol). They mentioned the racoon dogs too, that rings a bell from the previous article as well.  Will be interesting to see the follow-up rebuttal (I'm sure there will be some) and peer-review comment. 

From this link, this seems noteworthy:

One of the key findings of our study is that ‘unlinked’ early COVID-19 patients, those who neither worked at the market or knew someone who did, nor had recently visited the market, resided significantly closer to the market than patients with a direct link to the market. The observation that a substantial proportion of early cases had no known epidemiological link had previously been used as an argument against a Huanan market epicenter of the pandemic. However, this group of cases resided significantly closer to the market than those who worked there, indicating that they had been exposed to the virus at, or near, the Huanan market. For market workers, the exposure risk was their place of work not their residential locations, which were significantly further afield than those cases not formally linked to the market.

This also reminds me that I've not seen anything further on the theories floating in Italy that they were seeing sequencing that pre-dated the Wuhan market cases. 

Users who are viewing this thread