What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (2 Viewers)

My friend is on day 3 of covid.  Terrible headache and feeling like being run over by a bus has subsided.  But is having some pretty bad vertigo.  Moderna vaxxed and boosted.  
Boy all those jabs sure worked. Is he in the 'I'm glad I've been jabbed cause it would be much worse if i wasn't, (with no proof of course), camp? 

I'm zero jabbed and never had any effects (outside the tinnitus).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went through this at my house. My wife if still coughing 3 weeks later. I somehow avoided it. Both wife and son tested negative for covid and flu. Just a run of the mill virus going around here but with lingering cough. 
Looks like it’s the flu for us. Don’t remember it being this rough but it has been a few years.

Boy all those jabs sure worked. Is he in the 'I'm glad I've been jabbed cause it would be much worse if i wasn't, (with no proof of course), camp? 

Nobody cares, but you’ll keep posting.

There’s been plenty of proof that the vaccines kept people out of hospitals and from getting sever cases but you’d have to be able to read something other than your conspiracy sites. How’s the chem trail research going?

(NOTE: Recent figures in the Worldometers graphs tend to get adjusted -- often more than once -- after they first drop. Accordingly I've waited a few days to let the most recent Monday numbers settle in, though they are likely to rise a bit more by next week's update.)

Updating numbers to see where things stand today from a top-of-the-mountain view. All figures below are 7-day averages from Worldometers U.S. graphs here. In the United States: 

CASES
Thu 02/17/2022 - 116,737
Mon 02/21/2022 - 88,636
Mon 02/28/2022 - 62,422
Mon 03/07/2022 - 42,058
Mon 03/14/2022 - 32,925
Mon 03/21/2022 - 28,977
Tue 03/29/2022 - 28,884
Mon 04/04/2022 - 29,035
Mon 04/11/2022 - 34,123
Mon 04/18/2022 - 40,914
Mon 04/25/2022 - 52,749
Mon 05/02/2022 - 61,550

DEATHS
Thu 02/17/2022 - 2,184
Tue 02/22/2022 - 1,938
Mon 02/28/2022 - 1,745
Mon 03/07/2022 - 1,295
Mon 03/14/2022 - 1,134
Mon 03/21/2022 - 860
Mon 03/28/2022 - 671
Mon 04/04/2022 - 596
Mon 04/11/2022 - 511
Mon 04/18/2022 - 382
Sun 04/24/2022 - 375
Tue 04/26/2022 - 364
Mon 05/02/2022 - 318

CASES: 7-day average of confirmed COVID cases in the U.S. peaked at 823,840 on 1/13/2022, and was 61,550 on 5/2/2022. After adjustments, the 7-day average of cases has continnued to rise steadily since 2022's low mark on April 2 (27,991 - which represents a recent reductive adjustment).

DEATHS: With recent adjustments, the 7-day average dropped for 79 consecutive days from 2,741 on 1/29/2022 to 360 on Tue 4/19/2022. That number jogged up to 362 the following day, breaking the streak. The current trend is one of slowing decline, with a 7-day average of 318 on 5/2/2022 -- the lowest since 7/21/2021.

For comparison: Low-water marks in the U.S. from summer 2021, 7-day averages after the main thrust of vaccinations and before Delta.

CASES: 12,197 on 6/21/2021
DEATHS: 245 on 7/8/2021

Covid cases definitely on the rise. I no longer look at the official numbers outside of hospitalizations.  So many people have the home testing kits and this has led to a situation where the number of official reported cases is no longer accurate. I personally know probably 30-40 people that have covid or have gotten covid and recovered from it in the past couple of weeks between friends/family/customers. For those of whom are high risk or are around high risk individuals—my advice is to be careful and to monitor the situation around you.  Ask friends/family members that work for schools what their covid or attendance trends are looking like. You cannot wait for “official numbers” to rise before acting accordingly as it might be too late.   The data has always been a lagging indicator—and now with the vast prevalence of home testing—it’s an extremely lagging indicator. 
Yep still climbing here.... deaths are up and hospitalizations also now they are around pre omnicron numbers ~600 as opposed to ~6000 at the peak of omnicron but numbers are definitely up along with deaths slightly

Sorry if this belongs in the PSF, but I'm not necessarily trying to make masking political here.  Just thought this was an interesting article with very telling charts.

Correlation between mask compliance and COVID in Europe

And for those that don't want to read the entire study and just get the conclusion:

Conclusions

While no cause-effect conclusions could be inferred from this observational analysis, the lack of negative correlations between mask usage and COVID-19 cases and deaths suggest that the widespread use of masks at a time when an effective intervention was most needed, i.e., during the strong 2020-2021 autumn-winter peak, was not able to reduce COVID-19 transmission. Moreover, the moderate positive correlation between mask usage and deaths in Western Europe also suggests that the universal use of masks may have had harmful unintended consequences.

:shrug:

Has almost everyone been infected with COVID by now?

(some limitations which they list but...) Recent estimates suggest around 58% of the population in the US and over 70% in England have been previously infected, with BIG increases during the Omicron wave.

➡️ Roughly 58% of Americans showed evidence of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection in their blood by February 2022.
➡️ During the Omicron wave from December 2021-February 2022, this estimate increased from 33% to 58%.
➡️ Rates vary a lot by age, ranging from 33.2% for those over age 65 to 75% for those under age 18 (see figure).

YLE agrees:

Why is U.S. national data so terrible?

(video interview, and text transcription, with Associate Director to the CDC's new center, which is called the Center for Forecasting and Outbreak Analytics)

A lot of how this pandemic has been addressed/run has reminded me of my company - large multinational which has all the people and resources at its disposal to respond in an emergency.  When a fire drill happens, it's all hands on deck and we brute force our way through things until the fire is over.  Rarely learning from our mistakes or implementing sound processes that get applied to all groups to hopefully have this never happen.

Pretty odd no one is talking about this. Wonder when the other ones will get pulled as well
For all intents and purposes, the overall market "pulled" J&J a year ago. It's only been a negligible part of the vaccination picture in the U.S. since it was paused/restarted last year.

Once again, long COVID is being forgotten in one of these blanket statements.  
Saw this last week, and had intended to comment on it. Coming back around to it now.

Counting stats in the U.S. have clearly established that case counts and deaths are now decoupled -- deaths no longer follow the same curve as case counts. Even if all the home-tested cases are added to the counts, that point would just be stronger -- multiply the case counts by 7 (say) while the deaths remain the same and the result is that the two are even further decoupled.

Don't have hard stats on this, but tentatively it also looks like case counts and hospitalizations are generally decoupled (though I saw belljr's recent post about hospitalizations recently rising in NJ). Most of what I have to by here is anecdotal and impressionistic -- one-off reports (though a lot of them) from various places online that "our ER has slowed way down", "we've repurposed out COVID wards", "we've converted the negative-pressure rooms back to regular rooms", and so forth. At worst, though, I think we can safely say that as a collective, hospitals are far less stressed by COVID right now than they were the last time case counts were at the level they were a week or two ago (during the late July 2021 as Delta was ramping up). And again, current "hidden" cases makes the decoupling all the more stark.

So, about long COVID. I am starting to think -- based on the points above -- that there's a general "rule" taking shape that all negative outcomes in general are decoupled from case counts. IOW, back in the pre-vaccine days, you could track the case count curve and watch as the hospitalization curve took on a similar shape, then deaths. If a definition for long COVID had been settled upon and then tracked/counted at the patient level, it's likely that it would also have followed the case count curve back then.

Without stats to back it up: I think that right now, long COVID rates (where "all COVID infections, detected or not" is the denominator) are also decoupled from case counts. In the same way that deaths are definitely decoupled, and hospitalizations are apparently decoupled. Doubtlessly, we are truly flying blind right now until there's some bigger/better studies into long COVID. However, it makes intuitive sense to me that ALL the negative results -- annoying acute symptoms, long COVID, hospitalizations, and deaths -- move in generally the same way (percentages diminishing) as positive outcomes (asymptomatic infection, "off the grid" low-symptom infections) have taken off in the U.S.'s current environment where something like 80% of Americans (perhaps more) have some kind of immunological COVID protection -- whether from vaccinations, prior infections, or both.

Yeah bill? Really? Smart people knew this 2 years ago, a few months after it started. This clown has no business discussing human viruses. Anyway, for those of you that still think this virus was bad, even one of your own is now admitting it was not the killer they made it out to be and only a risk to the elderly and those with weak immune systems. 

Yeah, ya didn't need any of those useless jabs.

https://twitter.com/TheNo1Waffler/status/1522271917696294912

For all intents and purposes, the overall market "pulled" J&J a year ago. It's only been a negligible part of the vaccination picture in the U.S. since it was paused/restarted last year.
There really isn’t a demand for it anymore. Most who got it were to satisfy mandates. Those who got it for their protection have switched to the mRNA for their booster. It’s been months since I’ve even had someone ask about it.

It’s all a risk vs benefit decision. The risk is not significant unless there is new data. It’s just that the benefit of J&J with the variants is so low that the risk is no longer worth it.

The people trying to connect this to the mRNA vaccines are just being lazy, there hasn’t been any significant clot risk associated with them. There are some concerns with cardiomyopathy in adolescence but clots have been mainly see with J&J and AstraZeneca.

Saw this last week, and had intended to comment on it. Coming back around to it now.

Counting stats in the U.S. have clearly established that case counts and deaths are now decoupled -- deaths no longer follow the same curve as case counts. Even if all the home-tested cases are added to the counts, that point would just be stronger -- multiply the case counts by 7 (say) while the deaths remain the same and the result is that the two are even further decoupled.

Don't have hard stats on this, but tentatively it also looks like case counts and hospitalizations are generally decoupled (though I saw belljr's recent post about hospitalizations recently rising in NJ). Most of what I have to by here is anecdotal and impressionistic -- one-off reports (though a lot of them) from various places online that "our ER has slowed way down", "we've repurposed out COVID wards", "we've converted the negative-pressure rooms back to regular rooms", and so forth. At worst, though, I think we can safely say that as a collective, hospitals are far less stressed by COVID right now than they were the last time case counts were at the level they were a week or two ago (during the late July 2021 as Delta was ramping up). And again, current "hidden" cases makes the decoupling all the more stark.

So, about long COVID. I am starting to think -- based on the points above -- that there's a general "rule" taking shape that all negative outcomes in general are decoupled from case counts. IOW, back in the pre-vaccine days, you could track the case count curve and watch as the hospitalization curve took on a similar shape, then deaths. If a definition for long COVID had been settled upon and then tracked/counted at the patient level, it's likely that it would also have followed the case count curve back then.

Without stats to back it up: I think that right now, long COVID rates (where "all COVID infections, detected or not" is the denominator) are also decoupled from case counts. In the same way that deaths are definitely decoupled, and hospitalizations are apparently decoupled. Doubtlessly, we are truly flying blind right now until there's some bigger/better studies into long COVID. However, it makes intuitive sense to me that ALL the negative results -- annoying acute symptoms, long COVID, hospitalizations, and deaths -- move in generally the same way (percentages diminishing) as positive outcomes (asymptomatic infection, "off the grid" low-symptom infections) have taken off in the U.S.'s current environment where something like 80% of Americans (perhaps more) have some kind of immunological COVID protection -- whether from vaccinations, prior infections, or both.
I think this is where the alternative surveillance methods like sewage monitoring could prove to have real merit if the other predictors are falling short. 

Bill Gates on Covid 19.

“We didn’t understand that it’s a fairly low fatality rate & that it’s a disease mainly in the elderly, kind of like flu is, although a bit different than that.”

Freaking Bill Gates suddenly able to grasp the data - at no point did the numbers ever, once, even maybe ... tell us otherwise.

We tested before going over to my brother’s house for Mother’s Day and my 10yo daughter tested positive. She just got back from her 4th grade camping trip, so I’m expecting a lot of kids in her class to also be positive. 

matuski said:
Freaking Bill Gates suddenly able to grasp the data - at no point did the numbers ever, once, even maybe ... tell us otherwise.
Yeah, I'm happy to just move on, but we do need to push back a bit on this kind of revisionism.  We knew pretty early in the pandemic that covid had a modest IFR (but higher than influenza), that it hit the elderly a lot harder than everybody else, and that young kids in particular were essentially immune.  If Bill Gates didn't know that at least 18 months ago, he just wasn't paying attention.

If we had access to a time machine and could replay 2020 all over again, I don't know that I would advocate for doing much different.  Covid was still very dangerous because it was pretty contagious while people were asymptomatic, and we didn't have enough hospital capacity to handle unchecked spread until vaccines became available.  There's no policy-related reason to "forget" that our understanding of the very broad facts of this virus haven't changed all that much since, say, summer 2020.

Yeah, I'm happy to just move on, but we do need to push back a bit on this kind of revisionism.  We knew pretty early in the pandemic that covid had a modest IFR (but higher than influenza), that it hit the elderly a lot harder than everybody else, and that young kids in particular were essentially immune.  If Bill Gates didn't know that at least 18 months ago, he just wasn't paying attention.
While I don't disagree its hard when you see someone you know in the emergency room that are super healthy and mid 40s and almost dying and then trying say they were an "outlier" ....  just tough to do on a personal level

While I don't disagree its hard when you see someone you know in the emergency room that are super healthy and mid 40s and almost dying and then trying say they were an "outlier" ....  just tough to do on a personal level
One anecdote doesn't change the underlying data.  Gates is just wrong about what we knew when.

Lots of positive cases in my company popped up at the end of last week after attending a national conference week of April 25.  Glad I didn't go!  Hopefully I can get to Puerto Rico and back this week without incident.  

The Z Machine said:
I think this is where the alternative surveillance methods like sewage monitoring could prove to have real merit if the other predictors are falling short. 
Yes -- the data points from wastewater monitoring can provide yet another curve to compare outcomes against.

I just got my first moderna booster shot. Should I expect side effects like the first two shots? Or is it a little easier?

Anything meaningful to contribute? 

Had my first flight this weekend since the mask mandate on planes was lifted. The whole family was flying together, and my wife really wanted us all to wear masks (we were going to a family event featuring lots of seniors). Kids, who had been totally fine with wearing them until a few weeks ago, grumbled a little but were ultimately fine. I would estimate that we were among the maybe 10% on the plan who were wearing them.

Meanwhile, I have another flight on Thursday. This one is solo, but I'm going to meet up with my best friend from childhood, who has multiple myeloma. Given that we're going to be sharing a hotel room, I feel like I should mask up again for the flight. If I only had myself to think of I'm not sure I would (although there is a part of me that thinks I may just wear masks on planes going forward, Asian-style).

For people that aren't conspiracy theorists or science deniers:

I'm eligible for second booster.   Had the delta variant in September.   I travel frequently, both domestically and internationally, and attend a lot of concerts/sporting events, etc.

Would you do a second booster at this point?

(before the "ask your physician" responses, my physician said he's on the fence and would be fine with my decision either way)

I'm eligible for second booster.   Had the delta variant in September.   I travel frequently, both domestically and internationally, and attend a lot of concerts/sporting events, etc.

(before the "ask your physician" responses, my physician said he's on the fence and would be fine with my decision either way)
Me. I'm not. Until they come up with the Omnicron variant.  And I never had covid that I know of

Dickies said:
We tested before going over to my brother’s house for Mother’s Day and my 10yo daughter tested positive. She just got back from her 4th grade camping trip, so I’m expecting a lot of kids in her class to also be positive. 
36 out of the 50 kids that went have tested positive for Covid.  

Biff84 said:
There really isn’t a demand for it anymore. Most who got it were to satisfy mandates. Those who got it for their protection have switched to the mRNA for their booster. It’s been months since I’ve even had someone ask about it.

It’s all a risk vs benefit decision. The risk is not significant unless there is new data. It’s just that the benefit of J&J with the variants is so low that the risk is no longer worth it.

The people trying to connect this to the mRNA vaccines are just being lazy, there hasn’t been any significant clot risk associated with them. There are some concerns with cardiomyopathy in adolescence but clots have been mainly see with J&J and AstraZeneca.
We were repeatedly told that they were safe, not that it was a risk v benefit decision. They even mandated it.   

Wait for one tuned to the newer stuff.  If you can get antibody tested you can get an idea if you have any natural ones which is many of our forth shot anyway.  

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that, based on what we know now, it's a pretty low-stakes decision. You've had three shots plus a natural infection, so if you get it again you're highly unlikely to get a serious case. (I'm assuming here that you yourself are not high-risk, and that you don't have close family members who are. If either of those are the case, it might shift the equation slightly.)

From what I understand, a fourth booster provides some increased level of protection, but incrementally less than previous shots. On the other hand, there really aren't any downsides to getting it.

I myself am not yet in the recommended group for a second booster, so I'm not doing it yet. My hope is that, if it does eventually get recommended for my demo, that coincides with the arrival of the Omicron-specific shot. I think at that point I would be highly likely to get one. But for now I'm still in wait-and-see mode.

I don't understand why this is some big admission by the CDC. We've been talking about edemicity since pretty much the beginning of the pandemic. There was some thought in the immediate aftermath of the vaccine rollout where it might have seemed like we could reach herd immunity, but Delta extinguished that hope pretty quickly.

Two other points: First, there is a big difference between "treat it like the flu" and "it's the same as the flu". The former implies the stuff discussed in the article -- accepting edemicity, coming up with annual shots to handle the latest variants, etc. The latter implies that it's no more deadly than the flu, which is pretty obviously not the case.

Second, I hope one of the lessons that comes out of the pandemic is that maybe we shouldn't just accept tens of thousands of annual flu deaths as an immutable fact of life. No, I'm not saying we need lockdowns or universal masking every flu season, but I hope there are some changes we can make at the margins to reduce deaths going forward. Stuff like universal sick leave and the removal of the expectation that people will show up for work when they don't feel well, encouraging people who are sick to wear masks in public, incentivizing annual flu vaccines, etc.

Unless you have significant immunosuppression, like HIV, transplant, chemo/immunotherapy use, or come into close contact with someone who does (or work with elderly), it’s probably not going to be life-changing either way.

I’m dragging my feet getting a fourth shot, hoping  for a new formulation with better omicron/new variant coverage. But I wear N95 masks when I’m around vulnerable people.

Users who are viewing this thread