What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (2 Viewers)

Stupidity then?  LAX is Los Angeles. CA is on a shelter in place order. LA is as well. Why would the 2 airports be so different, in regards to current global situation?
As a Canadian, you would never here me say it is American arrogance. It just seems to be human nature combined with your belief in civil liberties ... combined with just a little head in the sand mentality. Other countries, including those like NZ that don’t have many cases, are treating this as a real emergency and have taken as many steps necessary to curb it. The US is just such a monster, it would be near impossible to do at the best of times ... and near as I can tell from my northern viewpoint, these are not the best of times.

And that would push the United States into first place for most number of cases just from NYC alone? 
In a few days, the confirmed numbers will show that. 

Keep in mind that the current tests takes days, even up to a week, to return a result. So the numbers released today reflect a point  in time in the past week. 

China CDC Situation Report on Mar-22
31 Provinces & XPCC - including imported
  Suspected: 136 (+47)
  Confirmed: 81093 (+39)
  Severe: 1749 (-96)
  Dead: 3270 (+9)
  Recovered: 72703 (+459
  Close contacts traced: 688993 and 10701 still under medical observation
“Imported” from other countries - Confirmed: 353 (+39)
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 317 (Dead: 4, Recovered: 100)
Macau - Confirmed: 21 (Recovered: 10)
Taiwan - Confirmed: 169 (Dead: 2, Recovered: 28)
Is it wrong to have mixed feelings about China’s situation improving? They basically dealt with it for 10-12 weeks, albeit harshly, but now they’re coming out of it on the other side with many aspects of life opening back up. Apple stores opening back up. Restaurants and bars, albeit with many restrictions, opening back up.

Meanwhile we’re 2-3 weeks into this, our economy is crashing, we aren’t dealing with it like they did, and it seems like it will take us much longer than 10-12 weeks to deal with it and our suffering is absolutely immense.

And it originated there.

Is it wrong to have mixed feelings about China’s situation improving? They basically dealt with it for 10-12 weeks, albeit harshly, but now they’re coming out of it on the other side with many aspects of life opening back up. Apple stores opening back up. Restaurants and bars, albeit with many restrictions, opening back up.

Meanwhile we’re 2-3 weeks into this, our economy is crashing, we aren’t dealing with it like they did, and it seems like it will take us much longer than 10-12 weeks to deal with it and our suffering is absolutely immense.

And it originated there.
We had a 2 month head start. Have mixed feelings about how insanely stupid we botched it all. 

In a few days, the confirmed numbers will show that. 

Keep in mind that the current tests takes days, even up to a week, to return a result. So the numbers released today reflect a point  in time in the past week. 
Something along the lines of 2% of cases need hospital care or are very serious...

.02x400,000=8,000 that will need serious care in NYC alone. The mortality rate of those people who get to that point is not that good right now in USA. It's close to 70% death rate for cases CLOSED, that would be 5,600 deaths in NYC alone. 

Those are absurd numbers.  I would say somewhere between 50k and 100k .  We have 250k confirmed cases in the world. We have more cases in NYC then rest of work.  
50k cases means a quarter of those have been tested and found out then. No way in hell. 

We’ll never know. 1/15 or 1/20 sounds right to me with that much public transport and pure arrogance before a few days ago. 
There were swaths of the city (especially Manhattan) that we’re more or less social distancing since weekend of the 5th-6th.  Yeah there were knuckleheads out partying, but in general the over-35 set took it relatively seriously (the ironic part is that those with British bosses didn’t) especially since most can WFH (ie have an easy out).

I mean I only know of 4 people infected between my and my wife’s social and work circles and 2 of those were from New Rochelle and there wasn’t a COVID-19 notice for my sons 600 person elementary school.

Maybe other NYCers have different experiences.  Having said that we left the city today :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are absurd numbers.  I would say somewhere between 50k and 100k .  We have 250k confirmed cases in the world. We have more cases in NYC then rest of work.  
Keep in mind the confirmed numbers require a positive test. Very few people are given a test.

The vast majority of those complaining of symptoms are given a test for the flu. If that test returns negative they are presumed to have COVID-19. If the doctor doesn't consider them to be in a life threatening state, they are sent home and told to self quarantine.

Then you have to consider the ones infected that don't show up to a medical facility at all. 

Confirmed cases are a small, small fraction of overall infections. 

And this is true in other countries too, but every country is using different criteria of who gets tested and who doesn't. South Korea seemed to be testing anything with a heartbeat. 

Something along the lines of 2% of cases need hospital care or are very serious...

.02x400,000=8,000 that will need serious care in NYC alone. The mortality rate of those people who get to that point is not that good right now in USA. It's close to 70% death rate for cases CLOSED, that would be 5,600 deaths in NYC alone. 
Yep, I posted yesterday that in a week or two NYC will have over 7,000 in need of hospitalization. 

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
There were vast swaths of the city (especially Manhattan) that we’re more or less social distancing since weekend of the 5th-6th.  Yeah there were knuckleheads out partying, but in general the over-35 set took it relatively seriously (the ironic part is that those with British bosses didn’t) especially since most can WFH.

I mean I only know of 4 people infected between my and my wife’s social and work circles and 2 of those were from New Rochelle and there wasn’t a COVID-19 notice for my sons 600 person elementary school.

Maybe other NYCers have different experiences.  Having said that we left the city today :bag:
Where did you go?   :oldunsure:

Worldometer March 23  01:03 GMT Update (The day is reset after midnight GMT+0.)

1. China: 81,054 (+46) cases, 3,261 (+6) deaths
  2. Italy: 59,138 (+5,560) cases, 5,476 (+651) deaths
  3. USA: 33,546 (+9,339) cases, 419 (+117) deaths
  4. Spain: 28,603 (+3,107) cases, 1,756 (+375) deaths
  5. Germany: 24,873 (+2,509) cases, 94 (+10) deaths
  6. Iran: 21,638 (+1,028) cases, 1,685 (+129) deaths
  7. France: 16,018 (+1,559) cases, 674 (+112) deaths
  8. S. Korea: 8,897 (+98) cases, 104 (+2) deaths
  9. Switzerland: 7,474 (+611) cases, 98 (+18) deaths
  10. UK: 5,683 (+665) cases, 281 (+48) deaths
  11. Netherlands: 4,204 (+573) cases, 179 (+43) deaths
  12. Austria: 3,580 (+588) cases, 16 (+8) deaths
  13. Belgium: 3,401 (+586) cases, 75 (+8) deaths
  14. Norway: 2,263 (+99) cases, 7 deaths
  15. Sweden: 1,931 (+161) cases, 21 (+1) deaths
  16. Portugal: 1,600 (+320) cases, 14 (+2) deaths
  17. Brazil: 1,546 (+368) cases, 25 (+7) deaths
  18. Canada: 1,470 (+142) cases, 20 (+1) deaths
  19. Denmark: 1,395 (+69) cases, 13 deaths
  20. Australia: 1,353 (+281) cases, 7 deaths
We're not settling for bronze

There were swaths of the city (especially Manhattan) that we’re more or less social distancing since weekend of the 5th-6th.  Yeah there were knuckleheads out partying, but in general the over-35 set took it relatively seriously (the ironic part is that those with British bosses didn’t) especially since most can WFH (ie have an easy out).

I agree that social distancing started earlier.  I would say it really kicked in weekend of 14th and 15th but many people were taking it very serious that entire week before.  We also bugged out of the city so don't feel bad about it.  

Per BNO: Canadian Olympic Committee says they will not send athletes if Tokyo Games go ahead as scheduled. Call for 1-year postponement.

Good.

Not the figures I've heard. Wasn't it 20% of cases need hospitalization and 5% need ICU? Way worse than your figures if so.

It’s not that difficult to reverse engineer the number of people that have it in NYC if you know the total hospitalized and dead.  @icon has a spreadsheet that does that. 

Obviously it’s not perfect, but it gives you a pretty good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread