What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 college football thread: its conference realignment season. (1 Viewer)

Holy ****ing ****. I didn't watch the game at all. Just brought up the CBS app thinking Georgia is up 42-10 or something. 65-7!? :deadhorse:

Heck, my local Monmouth U. Hawks may have lost by less. The version with Miles Austin and Chris Hogan at least

And yes, I know they were different times, just creating an FCS Monmouth U. Madden team

I don't care if your seeding/or actual ranking should be 1,2,5,10,15,20,25 you can't lose by 58 on a nuetral field in the biggest game of the year

Turned on the second half to catch only the last play. Looks like the Georgia running back had the whole field open and ran straight towards a TCU player and fell down. Lol. Did that impact the final for Vegas total at all?

Turned on the second half to catch only the last play. Looks like the Georgia running back had the whole field open and ran straight towards a TCU player and fell down. Lol. Did that impact the final for Vegas total at all?

It didn’t. Georgia covered the total themselves. Was around 62.5 and I never saw it above 63. Think it went down to 61.5 right before kickoff.

If you don’t have this kind of rep it could cost you the 4 seed. But once you are locked in like Georgia and Bama are with the committee there is no reason.
Bama’s changing the OOC in a major way, starting next year. Pivoting from Neutral Site to H@H, and will have 2 or 3 major OOC games per year. (1 being USF in ‘23/‘24). ND, Ohio St, Wisconsin, FSU, Ok St, WVU, etc. Texas and OU were a part of that plan, so interested to see how the expanded SEC and CFP impact this strategy.

They were scheduled to play Oklahoma up until a few months ago but it got canceled as part of the OU to SEC deal and at that point there was no one left to replace them except an FCS team.

Did Oklahoma affect the three other games too? I don’t know why people have to defend stuff like this. That schedule is hugely embarrassing, especially for the best team in the country.

If you don’t have this kind of rep it could cost you the 4 seed. But once you are locked in like Georgia and Bama are with the committee there is no reason.
Bama’s changing the OOC in a major way, starting next year. Pivoting from Neutral Site to H@H, and will have 2 or 3 major OOC games per year. (1 being USF in ‘23/‘24). ND, Ohio St, Wisconsin, FSU, Ok St, WVU, etc. Texas and OU were a part of that plan, so interested to see how the expanded SEC and CFP impact this strategy.

I agree. They’ve been impressive in that regard. Coming to usf this year is super weird though. Assume you are going?

They were scheduled to play Oklahoma up until a few months ago but it got canceled as part of the OU to SEC deal and at that point there was no one left to replace them except an FCS team.

Did Oklahoma affect the three other games too? I don’t know why people have to defend stuff like this. That schedule is hugely embarrassing, especially for the best team in the country.
It isn't.

The big schools just signed up for a three week playoff, adding one additional game against what would be a top 12 opponent and maybe Notre Dame. That they are spreading that out over small schools, funding nearly their entire athletic budgets as a result should be a feature, not a bug. You could argue, as Georgia that one fewer or two fewer OOC games is now viable. Isn't the goal here more games/content?

I agree. They’ve been impressive in that regard. Coming to usf this year is super weird though. Assume you are going?
Hell yeah!! It'll be a big deal personally and professionally, as Fanatics recently signed multiple deals with Bama. The Bulls inclusion seems like it was a half-step to the full plan in '24...locked in Texas and needed a 2nd, and settled with USF. Not sure if you recall, but newly re-branded USF under Leavitt played in B'ham in '01 or '02...were beating Bama at halftime.
I hope this OOC strategy sticks though thru the conference and playoff changes.

Well Georgia Tech is a rivalry game that they play every year so it's only 2 other games. But of course you know that. And then with Oklahoma/GT already on the books and a crazy tough in conference schedule it's reasonable to play two patsies, and not at all in any way even slightly out of line with 100 years of college football for every team in the country. Ohio State plays Youngstown State and Western Kentucky. Clemson plays Charleston Southern and FAU. What do you want, them to play CFP caliber teams every week of the season? They already played 7 games against teams that finished ranked in the top 20 this year. There were only two teams that finished in the top 6 this year that Georgia didn't play.

Trust me, I have no love for Georgia of all teams, but It's just an interesting complaint to make against a team that has scheduled Oregon, Clemson, and Oklahoma OOC over the last 3 years. Two of the other playoff teams (Michigan and TCU) COMBINED have played only one competent OOC opponent over the last 3 years, a perennially overrated Notre Dame team. But somehow the team that scheduled Oregon, Clemson, Oklahoma over that same stretch is some kind of outlier?

Michigan's OOC schedule is even worse next year and that's WITHOUT a matchup with a perennial powerhouse getting unexpectedly canceled. At least Georgia made a good faith effort to schedule a real team.

Last edited:

Well Georgia Tech is a rivalry game that they play every year so it's only 2 other games. But of course you know that. And then with Oklahoma/GT already on the books and a crazy tough in conference schedule it's reasonable to play two patsies, and not at all in any way even slightly out of line with 100 years of college football for every team in the country. Ohio State plays Youngstown State and Western Kentucky.
OSU plays every other Ohio school except Cincy & YSU.

Well Georgia Tech is a rivalry game that they play every year so it's only 2 other games. But of course you know that. And then with Oklahoma/GT already on the books and a crazy tough in conference schedule it's reasonable to play two patsies, and not at all in any way even slightly out of line with 100 years of college football for every team in the country. Ohio State plays Youngstown State and Western Kentucky.
You may be underestimating the number of schools in Oho and YSU is on the schedule for next year.

The OOC stuff looks more egregious for the SEC teams because they stupidly still play 8 conference games. That’ll change in 2024, and with the expanded playoff I expect we’re going to start to see some awesome September ooc matchups because your season isn’t over if you lose. Ultimately all we really want out of September CFB is entertaining matchups, the risk/reward on those isn’t aligned with what fans want to see in this current environment

I was irritated that I was busy and didn’t have a chance to turn on the game until halftime. After seeing the score I was happy I didn’t waste my time watching such a boring game and immediately flipped the channel to something else. How the heck could TCU be that bad and make it to championship game?

I know it'll never go back to the way it was, but as a casual viewer I much preferred having all the games clustered on or at least near New Year's day so that if one game sucked you could usually flip to another one that was entertaining, even for the "premier" bowl games. Last night I had forgotten there was even a game on until I started wondering what the NFL Monday night game was and then realized there wasn't one but this was on instead and flipped it on (and immediately off) near the start of the 3rd quarter.

Too much :moneybag: the way it is now to go back to that though.

I was irritated that I was busy and didn’t have a chance to turn on the game until halftime. After seeing the score I was happy I didn’t waste my time watching such a boring game and immediately flipped the channel to something else. How the heck could TCU be that bad and make it to championship game?

This will be written about a lot. Put on a sec honk hat and say Alabama could have gotten by Michigan just as easily and not rolled over to Georgia. So to answer your question without a sec honk hat, if Alabama loses one fewer game last night never happened and TCU was in the cotton bowl to an audience of dozens. .

You may be underestimating the number of schools in Oho and YSU is on the schedule for next year.
Akron, Toledo, Miami, Ohio? I know they've not played YSU much in the past. However, you'll be forgiven if I don't look at OSU's schedule all that closely. :grad:

The OOC stuff looks more egregious for the SEC teams because they stupidly still play 8 conference games. That’ll change in 2024, and with the expanded playoff I expect we’re going to start to see some awesome September ooc matchups because your season isn’t over if you lose. Ultimately all we really want out of September CFB is entertaining matchups, the risk/reward on those isn’t aligned with what fans want to see in this current environment

It's not really an SEC thing so much as just a major college football program thing. They all pretty much schedule 2 patsies a year. Georgia just got a 3rd next year because of the canceled game which obviously was not their intent.

I mean, FSU couldn't have lost to Jacksonville State, gone to overtime with Louisana-Monroe, and trailed in the 4th quarter against Samford all in the last few years unless they scheduled games against Jacksonville State, Louisana-Monroe, and Samford, so obviously they're doing it too. Though too Cappy's credit, FSU typically does schedule fewer patsies than most.

It was just weird to see it brought up against Georgia, who despite gaining nothing from playing tough OOC games (they get enough quality wins without them, so they can only be hurt by those gamese) still scheduled Oregon/Clemson/Oklahoma over a 3 year stretch which on paper was probably the toughest 3 games total you could pick out of OOC schedules of any team in the country over that stretch.

Well, to sum up the feeling here other than "kill me" is a lot of self doubt that TCU would ever be let in again short of winning a conference championship.

That was so awesome. :lmao: @ USC
Pretty cool for Tulane, but SC's D was awful all year. Like Utah, for instance, they were just tougher and more disciplined. Tackling was an afterthought the SC D.

People only focused on Caleb, Riley and the O. 4th favorite to win it all next year, though.

That was so awesome. :lmao: @ USC
Pretty cool for Tulane, but SC's D was awful all year. Like Utah, for instance, they were just tougher and more disciplined. Tackling was an afterthought the SC D.

People only focused on Caleb, Riley and the O. 4th favorite to win it all next year, though.
What is crazy is that USC didn't have to play the two best teams in the Pac 12 this year. Next year's schedule will be much tougher.

Its absurd that this year and next year MI doesn't play any real non-con games.
Yea I have no idea what their excuse is. At least Georgia can lean on the Oklahoma thing.

They have a home and home with Texas and Oklahoma coming up starting in 2024. They better not cancel those.
If I'm remembering correctly, this past year and this coming year were supposed to be P12 games as they began that "B1G vs P12" stuff for football ala the "B1G vs ACC" for basketball...then all that went in the pooper and they had to reschedule.

It's not really an SEC thing so much as just a major college football program thing. They all pretty much schedule 2 patsies a year. Georgia just got a 3rd next year because of the canceled game which obviously was not their intent.

I mean, FSU couldn't have lost to Jacksonville State, gone to overtime with Louisana-Monroe, and trailed in the 4th quarter against Samford all in the last few years unless they scheduled games against Jacksonville State, Louisana-Monroe, and Samford, so obviously they're doing it too. Though too Cappy's credit, FSU typically does schedule fewer patsies than most.

It was just weird to see it brought up against Georgia, who despite gaining nothing from playing tough OOC games (they get enough quality wins without them, so they can only be hurt by those gamese) still scheduled Oregon/Clemson/Oklahoma over a 3 year stretch which on paper was probably the toughest 3 games total you could pick out of OOC schedules of any team in the country over that stretch.
The fact that the SEC plays 8 while the other conferences play 9 is definitely an SEC thing. However, I agree with you generally speaking. You'll notice I said "looks more egregious" rather than "is more egregious..." Putting the OU stuff aside, if you take out UT-Martin and replace them with (insert middling SEC West team here) nobody bats an eye at the schedule. The team that came closest to beating Georgia this year was Mizzou in Columbia. You'll never convince me that road conference games are easier than home games against good P5 schools.

Having said all that, unfortunately if the SEC were to go to 9 we'd probably lose the Ga Tech game, not the game agains the Sun Belt school. Hopefully the playoff expansion will alleviate that.

The fact that the SEC plays 8 while the other conferences play 9 is definitely an SEC thing. However, I agree with you generally speaking. You'll notice I said "looks more egregious" rather than "is more egregious..." Putting the OU stuff aside, if you take out UT-Martin and replace them with (insert middling SEC West team here) nobody bats an eye at the schedule. The team that came closest to beating Georgia this year was Mizzou in Columbia. You'll never convince me that road conference games are easier than home games against good P5 schools.

Having said all that, unfortunately if the SEC were to go to 9 we'd probably lose the Ga Tech game, not the game agains the Sun Belt school. Hopefully the playoff expansion will alleviate that.

The SEC scheduling for football has been really dumb. Things like Arkansas plays Florida like every 4th year, stuff like that.

Really good game for the FCS title between the Dakotas and they scheduled it right up against…..the NFL tomorrow. Absolutely deranged. Why is it not today?

In 2020 this was in a normal time slot on ABC. 3 million viewers. Barely 1M on Sunday against the nfl. Who makes these idiotic decisions?

The SEC scheduling for football has been really dumb. Things like Arkansas plays Florida like every 4th year, stuff like that.
I’m interested to see how they do it after OU/TX join. I like the 4 pods of 4 proposal that basically gets you to every stadium in the conference within any given 4 year period.

The story between the Gators NIL group and this QB they promised 13m to is hysterical. It’s at the athletic if you have a sub. They promised dude the money without having it.

The story between the Gators NIL group and this QB they promised 13m to is hysterical. It’s at the athletic if you have a sub. They promised dude the money without having it.
That dude who runs the Gators collective is…questionable.

Users who are viewing this thread