What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official* 2021 Survivor Pool Thread (1 Viewer)

Already used the Bungles. Did have KC lined up but last night has me spooked. Torn between a safe Buffalo pick and a risky Seattle pick. Did state at the start that I'm playing as if a big pool so I might just go with the Seahawks

SF CLE DEN BUF NE LAR ARI 

Was seriously thinking KC, but I'm going to put them on the back burner until they get their act together.  CINCI it is.

Their D is also in my waiver wire queue.

CIN schedule says this is the week to use them.  If you are using Survivor Grid or some such thing, CIN has very little future value. 

Already used the Bungles. Did have KC lined up but last night has me spooked. Torn between a safe Buffalo pick and a risky Seattle pick. Did state at the start that I'm playing as if a big pool so I might just go with the Seahawks
If was looking to take a shot, I think I would hold SEA till Russ gets back, and take a chance with ATL or PHI.

Geno Smith, man. 

CAR - CLE - DEN - CIN - MIN (whew vs DET) - IND - NE

Going KC here, yea look terrible but it's Monday night in Arrowhead vs Giants. 

If was looking to take a shot, I think I would hold SEA till Russ gets back, and take a chance with ATL or PHI.

Geno Smith, man. 

Yeah, having read a bit about how last night went down it's safe to say I'm probably not picking the Seahawks. Probably straight to the Bills

Cincy in NY is also 2nd road game in a row, and Flacco is probably starting? 

I'm no Flacco guy, but better him than a QB named Mike White, which frankly sounds made up

Car > Cle > Den > Cin > TB > Pit > Ari > Buffalo

Will wait and see if KC can get things together in time for them to play other decent options later in the season, in the absence of any marginal matchups that seem appealing I'll just take the obvious for the second week in a row.

Survive this week and I'm probably looking at Indy week 9

Already used Buffalo so my options are Rams or Cinci. Seems like Bengals would be the shark play, especially since they don't have any other obvious gimmes ROS (with the possible exception of @ Denver in Week 15 if the Broncos have totally imploded by then). Meanwhile, Rams have Jags at home in Week 12.

And yet ... this is still the Bengals we're talking about. Coming off a huge win and they've spent the entire week smelling their own farts. Also, they have the Browns the following week so this could totally be a trap game.

All that said, I'll still probably pick Cinci.

Best Bets per Survivor Grid:

LAR @ HOU - EV 1.21 - WP 87.4% - PP 9.7% - FBGGP +12 - Would like to hold for W13 vs JAX -14
BUF vs MIA - EV 1.17 - WP 86.8% - PP 15.3% - FBGGP +13 - I already used them
CIN @ NYJ - EV 0.93 - WP 80.7% - PP 44.4% - FBGGP +8 - Next best other spot to use them is W12 vs PIT at only -3.5 but may still be an option in a tough week if you've already used TB and DAL.  They already beat PIT at PIT by two TD's, not sure why that number is only -3.5 at home.
KC vs NYG - EV 1.01 - WP 78.2% - PP 19.9% - FBGGP +8 - A few -7 games later, maybe they'll be more consistent by then - Mahomes status? - Trap Alerts Below
ARI vs GB - EV 1.01 - WP 71.1% - PP 0.3% - FBGGP +7 - I already used them
TB @ NO - EV 0.97 - WP 68.6% - PP 0.4% - FBGGP +6 - I already used them
LAC vs NE - EV 0.94 - WP 67.7% - PP 2.4% - FBGGP +4.5 - Play NYG W14 & @HOU W16 

For NFL Week 8, the model is recommending you fade the Chiefs, even though the reigning AFC champs host the 2-5 Giants on Monday Night Football. Kansas City will be looking to make a statement in primetime, but was dominated by the Titans in a 27-3 loss in Week 7. Patrick Mahomes and his cache of offensive weapons remain, but he has nine interceptions and has been sacked 14 times as the offensive line struggles to protect him.

Avoid: Kansas City Chiefs

If you wouldn't bet a team against the spread, then there's no reason to be taking them in survivor. And I can't imagine a world right now in which I'm laying 10 points with the Chiefs. Kansas City's demise, temporary or not, has been by far the biggest storyline of the NFL season.

I do believe the talent on this offense will win out eventually, and they've certainly earned the benefit of the doubt, but the uncharacteristic turnovers keep happening, the offensive line is a sieve, Tyreek Hill isn't right, and now Patrick Mahomes is banged up.

Arrowhead in prime time is a tough place to play, but Daniel Jones and the Giants thrive as underdogs. They might just be getting healthy, too. Kenny Golladay, Kadarius Toney, Sterling Shepard, and Saquon Barkley all have a chance at returning for this one, and the reality is even two of those guys returning to the lineup would be a huge boost against a lifeless Kansas City defense. I'm staying far, far away from this one.

Kansas City Chiefs (-10) vs. New York Giants

Are we expecting the Chiefs to magically fix their defense before Monday night's game? That unit is more cringe than Patrick Mahomes' brother. They're tied with the Jaguars for the least number of sacks, even though they've played one more game. The secondary has been burned for more 40-plus-yard passes than any other team, and Giants QB Daniel Jones happens to throw a nice deep ball.

Am I overreacting to Kansas City's woes? Maybe, but it's better to overreact and stay away from situations like this in survivor than to ignore all the red flags and hope for the best-case scenario. There are simply too many preferable options this week. 

Just over 18% of players are taking the Chiefs in Week 8, making them the second-most popular play.

I think it comes down to future opportunity cost.  If I take CIN here, I have to save DAL for W12 and can't use them W9.  I was planning on using MIA vs HOU there but they've been a dumpster fire and I don't have much faith in them especially after Tyrod is back for HOU.  Other options in W9 are BAL vs MIN, PIT vs CHI (but want to hold them for W10 vs DET), NO vs ATL.

Using LAR here puts W13 in a little more doubt with using KC vs DEN (-7) instead of (-14) but hopefully they're righted the ship a little more by then.  And it give me more flexibility for tough decisions in earlier weeks W9 and W12.  They are also pretty +EV with the majority being on CIN this week.

I think I'm going LAR.

Potential Future Picks:
(Already used: TB, CLE, DEN, BUF, NE, DEN, IND, LAR)
Week 9: DAL -7.5 v DEN
Week 10: PIT -9.5 v DET
Week 11: TEN -11.5 v HOU
Week 12: CIN -3.5 v PIT (Line seems light with CIN beating PIT by 2 TD's in PIT already)
Week 13: KC -7 v DEN
Week 14: GB -9.5 v CHI
Week 15: MIA -7 v NYJ
Week 16: LAC -9.5 @ HOU
Week 17: SF -11.5 v HOU
Week 18: MIN -6.5 v CHI

Going Cinci vs some guy named mike white. Wanted to take Seattle but Geno led Seahawks I'm not so comfortable with. I'll wait till Wilson is healthy and they are in must win mode for every game later on.

LAR->GB->Car->Buf->NE->KC->Zona-> Cinci

1. San Francisco
  2. Cleveland
  3. Denver
  4. Buffalo
  5. Tampa Bay
  6. Kansas City
  7. Green Bay
Week 8: I'm taking the Rams against lowly Houston, but I can totally get on board with Cincy over the New York Flaccids, er Flaccos.

I really want to use KC this weekend.  It makes the rest of the season so much easier to line up.  I can't imagine Mahomes having 2 weeks like that in a row.

SFO>GBP>CAR>CIN>NEP>IND>ARI>.  KC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 8 Early Most Popular Teams Summary

This is an early quick summary of the most popular picks so far in Week 8.

Cincinnati Bengals (40%) at New York Jets

Kansas City Chiefs (21%) vs. New York Giants

Buffalo Bills (15%) vs. Miami Dolphins

Los Angeles Rams (11%) at Houston Texans

Seattle Seahawks (5%) vs. Jacksonville Jaguars

Currently, no other teams have more than 3% pick popularity.

Let’s quickly go through each of these teams.

Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals are a 10-point favorite against the Jets based on both teams’ performances last week combined with Jets QB Zach Wilson’s injury. The Jets just traded for veteran Joe Flacco, though Mike White, who threw his first career regular-season pass last week, will likely get his first start in Week 8.

The Bengals do have high popularity at 41 percent right now. That is bringing their EV down (0.96) in a week where the Bills and Rams are even bigger favorites.

With that said, they do have the lowest future value, which is why they are more popular. Cincinnati’s schedule gets tougher after this week.

Our recommendations were also heavier on Cincinnati back in Week 4 against Jacksonville. Prior usage may play a role here depending on the pool type.

Kansas City Chiefs

With yet another poor effort, the Chiefs’ power rating has dropped, and their future value continues to plummet. They are now outside our top 10 in future value for the rest of the season.

The Chiefs’ highest projected win-odds game is this week against the Giants, where they’re favored by 10 points. We do not project them with greater than 70 percent win odds for the rest of the year.

Since the Chiefs have higher EV than Cincinnati and half the popularity, you can make a case for using them while saving future value with the Bills and Rams.

Buffalo Bills

The Bills have a strong EV (1.12) given their high win odds and lower popularity compared to the Bengals and Chiefs. That makes them a reasonable choice this week.

With that said, the Bills also have the highest future value of any team. If you have other reasonable alternatives, using one of them could allow you to save Buffalo for an even higher-value week.

Los Angeles Rams

The Rams are the biggest favorite of the week and are less popular than the other three choices. That gives them an EV of 1.16, which is the highest EV of any team (using average public pick popularity data) so far this season.

Based on that, the Rams are a strong pick this week. However, you do still have to account for future value, where the Rams rank third, behind only Buffalo and Tampa Bay.

Most of the Rams’ future value is tied up in Week 13, where they host the Jaguars in a week where there are otherwise limited options right now. So the Rams’ value is better in smaller pools that are more likely to be done by Week 13 or have only a few entries left.

Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks are a poor value pick this week in Survivor pools, with an EV of 0.75. They are favored by only three points against the Jaguars.

They would have been in contention as a survivor pick this week with Russell Wilson at QB. But he’s still hurt, so Geno Smith remains under center.

This popularity number may go down a bit. But even if it does, the Seahawks are too risky this week. They also have some good future value late in the season when Wilson could return.

Third Straight Week of Low Eliminations

For the third week in a row, we saw a very low elimination rate across survivor pools, as just 3.7% were knocked out in Week 7. Since we began tracking survivor pools back in 2010, this is the first time we have ever seen three straight weeks with less than 5% of entries eliminated!

There are still 43% of original entries alive, which unsurprisingly, is by far the most we have seen at this point of the season in the 12 years we have tracked pools. The next highest was last season when there were just 21.6% alive after Week 7.
We are due for a cullling

Rolling with Cincy this week.  We all see the potential for a let-down game after they thumped the Ravens, but the Jets are a mess and should provide a comfortable safety net if the Bengals come out flat for some reason.

I'm sure there's data on this, but anecdotally it feels like the NFL is much more lopsided this year than in season's past.  We're seeing 14+ point spreads practically every week it seems like, and last week was pretty much nothing but blowouts.  This feels like a year where the bubble doesn't pop for quite a while.

Went KC this week. Cinci is probably the correct play but figured majority will take them so let’s pick a rare week where kc is a big favorite at home and won’t be a popular pick. 

KC doesn't have a ton of future value either. 

CIN seems like a lock, hard to imagine Jets getting it done with Mike White

Rolling with Cincy this week.  We all see the potential for a let-down game after they thumped the Ravens, but the Jets are a mess and should provide a comfortable safety net if the Bengals come out flat for some reason.

I'm sure there's data on this, but anecdotally it feels like the NFL is much more lopsided this year than in season's past.  We're seeing 14+ point spreads practically every week it seems like, and last week was pretty much nothing but blowouts.  This feels like a year where the bubble doesn't pop for quite a while.
Welp.

Bills keep me safe for now, but next week looks ugly given who I've used. Probably Baltimore coming off the bye or Dallas assuming Dak is back

So happy I switched Rams to Bengals.  And I knew better too. 

Something obvious that should help those still alive.  The NFL is the king of the letdown game scenario.  The Bengals basically validated their existence last week by killing the Ravens.  This was a monster letdown spot.  Therefore, DO NOT play the Saints at home vs. the Falcons next week.  Good luck!

Still in utter disbelief they lost to a backup named Mike White.1st jets qb to throw 400 yards since 2000. ( Vinny Testaverde) 54% took Cinci in my league that started with over 1,000 entries. Checking now its down to just shy of 200. Good luck to you all that are still in it.

Car > Cle > Den > Cin > TB > Pit > Ari > Buf > Dallas

Not going to try to overthink this. Colts were going to be my pick but combination of Wentz being lol and the Jets having a pulse worries me on a short week, so going to take the other 10 point spread available to me. Colts have immediate future value next week in any case. Still not convinced the Chefs are quite right regardless of whatever cluster is going on in Green Bay, can't bring myself to pick Miami, Baltimore seems like a trap line.

So happy I switched Rams to Bengals.  And I knew better too. 

Something obvious that should help those still alive.  The NFL is the king of the letdown game scenario.  The Bengals basically validated their existence last week by killing the Ravens.  This was a monster letdown spot.  Therefore, DO NOT play the Saints at home vs. the Falcons next week.  Good luck!
I'm not quite sure that's a fair comparison.  Seems NO has owned TB since Brady has been there.

A lot of teams in my league are out from the Bengals loss.  We're down to 28  out of 100.

I think I have to roll with the Rams vs Tennessee this week.

SFO>GBP>CAR>CIN>NEP>IND>ARI>KCC>LAR

I too got Bungled, but it's a double elimination pool so I'm still alive.

Leaning Colts as of now. I don't see the Jets doing this two weeks in a row. But there is the argument that it's better to save them until next week, so maybe Dallas instead.

Used TB, CLE, DEN, BUF, NE, IND, ARI, LAR so far.

I'd love to save the Cowboys for a tough week 12, especially after CIN lost to the Jets but I can't bring myself to trust any of the other matchups and will kick the can down the road until then.  Vegas has them as 10 point favorites and FBG GP has them winning by 11.  Sounds like Dak will be back to give the team a boost and DEN was getting by with defense but just traded Von Miller.

KC vs GB - Chiefs struggled again vs NYG and GB will be without Rodgers but Love to me is an unknown I don't want to deal with.

PIT vs CHI - I just don't trust either team to be consistently good or bad.

MIA vs HOU - HOU has been close a couple times and MIA has been unpredictable, it this the week the get a win with TT back?

BAL vs MIN - I'm having trouble envisioning how this game will play out.

NO vs ATL - Taysom Hill?  Trevor Simian?  No Calvin Ridley.  Can NO defend Pitts?  Staying away.

So far I've used: Car-Cle-Den-Buf-Min-Indy-AZ-KC (in two pools but haven't deviated).

Presently torn between Dallas and Miami. Since I'm now considering myself "in the runnin" (Cinci lost last week now have over 75% eliminated in both pools), I'm trying to strategize for the rest of the year. If we get to week 15, I really like Dallas at NYG as I assume Dallas will be shooting for a possible top seed/playoff spot and NYG will be out of it. Looking at my options I think my next best choice that week would be TB. 

I had pegged Miami for this week for awhile. I am admittedly nervous though given how bad Miami has looked. 

Looked at the lines. Miami dropped below a TD. I think I gotta play it safe and roll Dallas...

xenon said:
I'm not quite sure that's a fair comparison.  Seems NO has owned TB since Brady has been there.
I mean, other than when it mattered most. 

I'm rolling Dallas this week. Dak is back, and Von Miller is gone, and Callahan(Denver's best CB) got put on IR. 

I wouldn't fault someone for using Indy tonight. I used them against the Texans a couple weeks ago.

My big pool is going the distance, and double picks starting week 12. 

I've got to take some chances at some point, I keep a lot more options open if I can use MIA here.

If Tua plays, that's my move. Three entries in, and I might use them in two of three. 

Well, it's been a nice run, gents. I was cruising along in my double-eliminate pool until the past two weeks: Cinci and now Dallas. The process was right on both calls. Nothing you can do except shake your head.

Good luck to everyone still in it. Bring it home!

Used TB, CLE, DEN, BUF, NE, IND, ARI, LAR so far.

I'd love to save the Cowboys for a tough week 12, especially after CIN lost to the Jets but I can't bring myself to trust any of the other matchups and will kick the can down the road until then.  Vegas has them as 10 point favorites and FBG GP has them winning by 11.  Sounds like Dak will be back to give the team a boost and DEN was getting by with defense but just traded Von Miller.

KC vs GB - Chiefs struggled again vs NYG and GB will be without Rodgers but Love to me is an unknown I don't want to deal with.

PIT vs CHI - I just don't trust either team to be consistently good or bad.

MIA vs HOU - HOU has been close a couple times and MIA has been unpredictable, it this the week the get a win with TT back?

BAL vs MIN - I'm having trouble envisioning how this game will play out.

NO vs ATL - Taysom Hill?  Trevor Simian?  No Calvin Ridley.  Can NO defend Pitts?  Staying away.
I think my thought process was pretty much right but my main error was expecting players (Dak and Tyrod) to be good right off the bat in their first game back from injury.  I have to remember to keep a mental flag against that in the future.  Should have stayed on my originally planned Dolphins pick.  Good luck to whoever is still going.

Users who are viewing this thread