What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2020 Michigan Football*** (2 Viewers)

So he's honestly contemplating it. What more can we ask?

I really hope the plan B is better than the shotgun approach employed last go round.
If we are to believe the plan B rumors, Stoops pops up frequently in those discussions. I haven't had time to pay much attention to the plan B scuddlebutt with all the Harbaugh hysteria to keep track of. Thoughts on Stoops being a potential target?

So he's honestly contemplating it. What more can we ask?

I really hope the plan B is better than the shotgun approach employed last go round.
If we are to believe the plan B rumors, Stoops pops up frequently in those discussions. I haven't had time to pay much attention to the plan B scuddlebutt with all the Harbaugh hysteria to keep track of. Thoughts on Stoops being a potential target?
I already covered it, he's not coming. No way.

http://gregghenson.com/harbaugh-harbaugh-and-more-harbaugh/

There has been a lot of chatter this weekend regarding Jim Harbaugh’s future and as I’ve believed and posted here since November, this looks like it’s happening, ya just gotta wait a week.

Mgoblog has some really good stuff concerning a 49ers coaches wife and a John Elway tip. I agree, that stuff getting out is more than likely real as it isn’t within the local/Michigan “echo chamber.” I’m also now comfortable telling you that multiple former teammates are on board that it is happening, including 2 that are still tight with Jim today. These guys weren’t talking a month ago, I’m convinced they didn’t know then but they are in the loop now.

It’s been very difficult to get anything out of anybody in the last couple weeks, NOBODY wants to be the leak now with this apparently and more than likely happening. Most of the guys who told me it was happening in November just nod knowingly when we discuss the Harbaugh issue, they are measuring their words as if they’ve all been told to clam up while Hackett does his job. They will give cryptic hints, but NOBODY wants to hit the “Go” button…yet.

The word today is that Miami Owner Stephen Ross won’t go after Harbaugh or the report that Harbaugh will leave “part ways” with the Niners are ridiculous, WE ALL ALREADY KNEW THAT! These NFL reports are nothing new, nothing. Ross is on record a month ago saying he would rather see Jim in Ann Arbor. Did we all just assume he way lying? Dumb. As for the other report that he would part ways, huh, you’d have to be living in Columbus under a rock to not know he was leaving San Francisco. I’m continually shocked at what is reported as “new” news these days, I mean, I can get all this crap from Bernie Smilovitz and he’s too busy running 30 year old bloopers to even know there is a vacancy in Ann Arbor. Do these National media guys really think Michigan was going to go without a coach for three weeks? I’m told they’ve known all along that this deal would get done. I feel bad for Jim Hackett, people must think he’s a real light-weight to think he wasn’t going about this the right way.

Look, this could still go wrong at the last minute, but I don’t think it will, there is too much evidence both publicly and off the record that indicates Jim Harbaugh is ready to shock the NFL world and return to college. I’ve said all along that Jim wanted the job and he will prove it next week after his dreadful season with the Niners is done. He isn’t going to quit and walk away, he will see it through no matter what, that is in his DNA.

You will hear a lot of stuff this week, but nothing will be done until NEXT week, so relax, know it is happening and have a great holiday!

Eisen is getting ready...Blue know it!
https://vine.co/v/OXnJ9D2d9tA

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably also a good sign that Schefter and good ole Ian are backing off their "there's no way in hell he'd ever consider coaching in college again. he hates kids" shtick as well. Out of all the scuddlebutt of the weekend, John Elway was the most interesting to me.

Couple of sources I trust the most, who are typically right on about Michigan-related stuff, are saying for sure that Jimmy is coming home.

— Steve Deace (@SteveDeaceShow) December 22, 2014

I think Ross coming out and backing Philbin yesterday was the clincher. Sure maybe Ross would prefer Harbaugh in Michigan but if Jim had said he wanted to stay in the NFL Ross would have went after him. I think he already knows it is a done deal and backing Philbin now saves face.

SwampDawg said:
I think Ross coming out and backing Philbin yesterday was the clincher. Sure maybe Ross would prefer Harbaugh in Michigan but if Jim had said he wanted to stay in the NFL Ross would have went after him. I think he already knows it is a done deal and backing Philbin now saves face.
First thing I thought when the announcement was made. As a Dolphin fan, I think Philbin deserves to finish out his contract. As a Michigan fan, I'm excited to see Harbaugh come in.

Question is, is Schefter going the "his heart is in the NFL but everyone else wants him to go to college" route to cover how terribly wrong he would have been otherwise or is it really what Jim thinks. If it's what Jim really thinks, it's best that he just stay in the NFL IMO. With all that said, I don't really believe anything Schefter says one way or the other.
Disagree. However he gets to AA, just get there.
If he comes to Michigan and doesn't address this, then we (the fans) will be on pins and needles every year as his name is brought up as a HC candidate for XXXX NFL team. We'll sit around wondering if he's going to bounce because the NFL is really where he wants to be. This "search" is bad enough. Not sure I have the stamina for this stuff yearly :shrug:
And if he says "my heart has always been in Michigan" we won't be?

If he comes and does well the "will he go to the NFL" is going to be a yearly thing no matter what he says

Question is, is Schefter going the "his heart is in the NFL but everyone else wants him to go to college" route to cover how terribly wrong he would have been otherwise or is it really what Jim thinks. If it's what Jim really thinks, it's best that he just stay in the NFL IMO. With all that said, I don't really believe anything Schefter says one way or the other.
If he comes to Michigan and doesn't address this, then we (the fans) will be on pins and needles every year as his name is brought up as a HC candidate for XXXX NFL team. We'll sit around wondering if he's going to bounce because the NFL is really where he wants to be. This "search" is bad enough. Not sure I have the stamina for this stuff yearly :shrug:

If he comes and does well the "will he go to the NFL" is going to be a yearly thing no matter what he says
No doubt. Saban is 12 years older and was involved in every rumor up until this year. It's the nature of the media and internet now.

I think there's a distinction between having a coach here that says he's all in and plans on staying vs one that's here because his family wants him to be here :shrug: Neither of those change the reality that the NFL will come knocking frequently, but it certain changes how the fan base reacts to the NFL's calls.

I think there's a distinction between having a coach here that says he's all in and plans on staying vs one that's here because his family wants him to be here :shrug: Neither of those change the reality that the NFL will come knocking frequently, but it certain changes how the fan base reacts to the NFL's calls.
It is impossible to ever know what is really in his heart no matter what words come out of his mouth. Jim is a huge competitor and his heart will be in doing the best job he can whether he had some reservations about the decision to come or not.

It is impossible to ever know what is really in his heart no matter what words come out of his mouth. Jim is a huge competitor and his heart will be in doing the best job he can whether he had some reservations about the decision to come or not.
I don't know what this has to do with what I said but ok? My singular point was the lip service needs to be there for the fragile parts of the fan base :shrug: The way this is presented, especially early on, is important. It becomes less important as time goes on.

And if he says "my heart has always been in Michigan" we won't be?If he comes and does well the "will he go to the NFL" is going to be a yearly thing no matter what he says
I'll be happy if he comes. I won't be surprised if he chooses Oakland. I won't worry about December 2015 until December 2015.

The path has been set....all that's missing is the name:

Post-Meeting Update 3:15 p.m. (EST)

Wiltfong was told that the players were told that the Michigan administration feels good about having their guy but they want to make sure everything is signed etc... before moving forward.

The players were not told who it is.

Wolverine247 insider Steve Lorenz confirmed Wiltfong's information through a second source as well.
It's really tough not to drop trou and run around the neighborhood ;)

Nussmeier jumping ship to Florida. Shouldn't be a big surprise since his future there is already in question. Just hard to believe we paid him big bucks and got a whole year out of him.

I understand Harbaugh wanting to win a Lombardi trophy, but I don't see how he's gotta better opportunity right now than at Michigan. Are the Raiders gonna pay him $8 million a year? I doubt it, I doubt they can get within $2 million of that. So cheaper living in Ann Arbor, more money, coming home and he gets to go after Urban Meyer. I wish Nick Saban would pick up the phone and call him, I think you look at Saban and see what I think is the right move.

Sure college has recruiting, practice restrictions, entry requirements, fund raisers and all of that. But you also don't work 18 hours a day during the season and you have TOTAL CONTROL over football operations. Playing the savior is right in Harbaugh's wheelhouse too, what better place to do it than at his hometown team and his alma mater?

I am starting to believe this is going to happen. The stats are aligning.

NCAA is a step down from the NFL in terms of coaching, doesn't matter how much money a desperate institution throws on the table. Yes, that money might sway a coach but the coach realizes they are no longer in the big leagues. I don't see this happening but if it does I will be shocked if he isn't back in the NFL within 3 years.

NCAA is a step down from the NFL in terms of

coaching.
Nope, it's not. You can argue this all you want and you'd still be wrong.
It is silly to think otherwise. I don't see how anyone can effectively argue that coaching college kids compares to coaching the best of the best in the NFL.
You're a Boston guy, you know #### about college football.

How many NFL coaching legends are there? Lombardi, Landry, Knoll, Brown, probably Belicheat. /list

How many college football legends are there? Schembechler, Bryant, Switzer, Wilkinson, Royal, Hayes, Paterno, Osbourne, Rockne, Saban, Warner, Stagg, Snyder, Bowden, Robinson etc.

Guys in college get stadiums named after them, guys in the pros get recycled.

NCAA is a step down from the NFL in terms of

coaching.
Nope, it's not. You can argue this all you want and you'd still be wrong.
It is silly to think otherwise. I don't see how anyone can effectively argue that coaching college kids compares to coaching the best of the best in the NFL.
You're a Boston guy, you know #### about college football.

How many NFL coaching legends are there? Lombardi, Landry, Knoll, Brown, probably

Belicheat. /list

How many college football legends are there? Schembechler, Bryant, Switzer, Wilkinson, Royal,

Hayes, Paterno, Osbourne, Rockne, Saban, Warner, Stagg, Snyder, Bowden, Robinson etc.

Guys in college get stadiums named after them,

guys in the pros get recycled.
Yes, college coaches are more revered. I fail to see how that is an argument that coaching at the college level isn't a step down from the NFL. If you want to compete at the highest level and challenge yourself, the NFL is much more of a test than the NCAA. In some ways you are making my point for me. It is much easier to become a great college coach than become a great NFL coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Wooden is generally regarded as the greatest coach in any sport, ever. He never coached a day in the pros.

Using the "highest level" argument and thinking that is God's word, is flawed.

NCAA is a step down from the NFL in terms of coaching, doesn't matter how much money a desperate institution throws on the table. Yes, that money might sway a coach but the coach realizes they are no longer in the big leagues. I don't see this happening but if it does I will be shocked if he isn't back in the NFL within 3 years.
This is the worst fishing attempt I've seen in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread